Running under falling leaves - the October dingo running thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go BEC

Gaye, go walk to show breast cancer who's boss! And I hope your DS is feeling better soon .

cfg ~ love the dress! I think it's perfect for a wedding .

DD2 is doing a little better, but still coughing a lot at night. I slept with her last night and she had 2 or 3 times when the coughing was so bad she could barely breathe. It got much better when I sat her up propped with pillows though.

Yesterday I took DS shopping for fall clothes, and today I take DD1 to the mall for her turn. She is beside herself with excitement, especially since I told her we'd go to Claire's for some clip-on earrings !

And I WILL run today ~ 3 miles of walk/run as soon as DH and the big two get home from church (since I'm staying home with sick DD this morning).

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#62 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 10:34 AM

Go, Bec!!
#63 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 AM

got up early to stalk bec - i don't see that they have live tracking, though? looks like post-race results only. someone let me know if i'm wrong. race stalking is my fave

regardless...GO BEC!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#64 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 AM

I am so excited ! I RAN ~ 5 minute walking warmup, 20 minutes of running (at about a 10:30 pace ), 2 minute walk, 7 more minutes of running for a total of 3.1 miles (my old 5K practice loop)! All with ZERO knee pain, but a little irritation in my right hip psoas which I'm stretching out now.

Three weeks until my 5K. I can't wait to race again!

Adding an additional GO BEC !

#65 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Cheering for Bec

And cheering for Gigi today too -

i'm getting ready to hop on my bike, cheer for my friends running the Leaf Peepers 1/2 marathon and get a nice little mountain bike ride in. DH has taken DS to a pumpkin chucking event, so they're taken care of. I got quite mad at DH last night. He went out to a big invite-only party as the +1 of some woman he used to work with that i don't know, and was just acting odd all night. nevertheless, he got kicked out of bed for snoring last night. no tolerance for it.

better get a move on, my fast friend will be done with over a mile already.
#66 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Go, Bec, go!

mel - you should totally go to the running group! I bet you'll even find a bunch of people right at your pace.

jaygee - I'm glad that DD seems to be doing a little better. And that is just so fantastic about your knee! I meant to say before, that I can't believe that the whole time it was just dislocated and nobody caught it. You'll be back up to your old speed/milage in no time!

I'm off to my appt. I'll be thinking of you Bec!
#67 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Go Bec!!!! I hope you're feeling super strong out there right this minute! I'm sure you are, you're probably getting close to done!

GMM - Dude that's just weird.

CFG - Great dress! I'm sure it will be perfect.

JayGee- : You're back! : for your dd to feel better.

Mel - I think JenLove is off doing a snowbird adventure or something. Hopefully she'll start checking again soon! And yeah, be brave and go with the group, it'll most likely be really fun.

Gaye - Bring some Dingo to Amy today from all of us.

We're going out on the boat today with my RP, her dh and two little sons. I hope the kids don't get too raucous because the boat's not that big. But we're headed to a marine park that's pretty close by so we'll be able to run the crazy out of them there if we need to. :

I hope Bec will have a race report for us later today! I'm so excited for her having the marathon experience!!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#68 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 PM

Good morning Dingos!

GO BEC!!!!

I finished 8.5 today with RP. We (thankfully ) took a different route today. Her dh drove us out to the beginning of a local Legacy Trail (rails to trails) and we ran back home. Took us 1:38, which is just over 11.30 minute miles, a lot faster than usual. I'm chalking that up to observation #4.

A few observations:

1) shade makes a really big difference
2) it's nice to have an RP watch out for you if you have to make a trail-side pit stop. :
3) A flat, paved trail with marked miles is really nice in comparison to watching for cars backing out, speeding, etc.

4) Sport Beans are Two beans each at 4 and 7 miles were enough to really bump us up and keep going. It made a HUGE difference in performance, from really feeling worn out to a great energy surge that lasted a good while. I can't believe I've been 'suffering' on long runs without nutrition/water. Now I know better. Even at the end, RP wasn't feeling great but I could have kept going.

So...disgusting runner feet question of the day... (sorry for TMI). I now have icky big blisters right under my toenails! Clearly it's time to trim the nails but how am I going to do that and deal with the blisters at the same time? I forgot about this part of distance training....

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#69 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 01:20 PM

gmm - i'm familiar with that particular party yeah, i'm with you on that one.

cfg - cute dress! you'll look like supermodel in it, you tall thin girl!

gaye - hope you had an inspirational time today at the race for the cure

#70 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 02:41 PM

DH and I have been thinking about visiting his family in Indiana next spring. Tell me more about the Indy mini that you are talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
rr: 10.25 miles. And I, um, got to run with a lizard on my shoulder. The &^%%$% thing fell out of a tree and landed on me! It took a major chicken dance to get if off. Thank goodness it was more on my back so I didn't know it was a lizard until I saw it hit the ground, or else I'm sure ya'll would have been able to hear my screams. Needless to say, it was by far my fastest 10+ miler ever.
This made me laugh so hard and think of a funny story! We stayed at my mom's house in FL two years ago. My oldest ds was convinced "there was a dragon under the clock" in my mom's closet. I told him for days that he was imagining things. Finally, I moved the scale in her closet and found a geko staring at me. I screamed and ran around in circles for awhile. DS was sitting on the bed and told me, "Mom....I told you there was a dragon under that clock." I told my mom what happened, and SHE KNEW THERE WAS A GEKO IN HER CLOSET. She was too afraid to catch it, so she hadn't used that closet in weeks. I guess she assumed it would go away on its own??????

RR: My running hasn't been consistent the last two weeks, and I need a kick in the butt (but please be gentle). Our fall schedule is far too busy, and I realize we need to slow down a bit. I also think that I am mentally taking a break for a few weeks before my official half marathon training schedule starts in mid-October.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#71 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM

cfg~I like the dress, too!

jaygee~

Still for bec...

Amy's Chemo Sabes were over 87 strong at the race this morning, decked out in headbands and feather boas, and pink galore. We raised over $8000 for the Komen foundation, way surpassing the goal of $5280, thanks to a large gift from Amy's DH's employer. It was really , so I'm glad that i didn't take DS, but it was a really wonderful experience. Pictures to go up on FB later, but first, a nap!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#72 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 04:28 PM

report for bec! Race results are posted, and she did it! 5:19:48! WOOHOO, WAY TO GO BEC!!!!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#73 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Bec! Way to run!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#74 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 04:53 PM

woohoo bec!

I have been trying to get on the computer all day. First dh then ds watched a soccer game then dd is spending all day doing a shoe boxed size float for the state of New Hampshire. I was all excited to sit in the chair reading and ready to help but turns out she thought I might do a little more than that.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#75 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 05:01 PM

WTG Bec!!!! Way to rock that marathon!

So after fielding a work emergency (thanks GES for trying to wreck my Sunday and making me late) I rode my mountain bike down to the village and serendipitously met up with my friend Joe. We rode along the 1/2 marathon course cheering and honking my penguin horn for all the runners.

My friend was running strong in second place women. Her husband was running his first half (he's a very fast biker, but not a runner) he was wearing an awesome shirt. On the front it said "I may be slow" and the back "but my wife is going to win." Anyway, I really enjoyed being a loud cheerer and paying back some of the excellent cheering that I got in Durango a couple of weeks back.

After hanging with my friends at the finish line I went out and did a nice mountain bike ride. Altogether I was gone for almost 4.5 hours and got to hang out with friends as well as get a great ride in.
#76 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM

Yay Bec! Congrats on finishing!

Yay for tjsmama too! I wondered if you were out there this morning. It was definitely a morning.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#77 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 05:23 PM

Yay Bec! WTG on the marathon ! I can't wait to read your race report .

#78 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
On the front it said "I may be slow" and the back "but my wife is going to win."
Love it! Was she able to pull ahead and win?

lovemybabies - now that I can fully appreciate a good reptile story, I got quite a laugh out of yours, too! I can't believe she just left it there - I wouldn't have been able to sleep knowing it was there.

bec - way to rock it! You're a marathoner now! Can't wait to hear all about it.
#79 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM

She did it!! That's all I'm gonna say, I'll leave the rest for her. BUT, I watched at about mile 26 for 40 minutes, and she was DEFINITELY one of the strongest that went by!
#80 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 PM

way to go bec!!

#81 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 06:03 PM

OMG I'm savoring this for you bec. I can't wait for your race report. I hope you are feeling proud and strong!

#82 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 06:41 PM

: drum

WAY TO GO, BEC!!!!!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#83 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Yay Bec! You smoked it!!! Woot woot!

We had a beautiful day out on the water today. It was super windy so we had to bag the marine park plan but on the lee side of the island it was just glassy smooth so we anchored and had a picnic on the boat. On the way home a Stellar sea lion surfaced really close to the boat, it must have been 10 or 11 feet long . It was GINORMOUS! Almost a little scary too, it had a really wild carnivore's face, I guess it was probably the closest I've ever been to something that could certainly eat me if it felt like it in the wild. Whoowee, exciting.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#84 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 PM
bec

Posting from my phone. Running a marathon is hard! I'll write a full report tomorrow. But the quick and dirty. 1-10 were great. Ran with the 4:45 pace group. Lost them at a potty break. Tried to catch up until mile 16. Hit the wall at 16.5. Managed to push through. Around mile 20 I started feeling a bit better. The last mile I was totally back! Finished strong.

Did someone say Grandma's in Duluth?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#85 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Did someone say Grandma's in Duluth?
Well that sure didn't take long!
#86 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Love it! Was she able to pull ahead and win?
She got 2nd. very respectable.

Yay Bec!
#87 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 08:55 PM

elcome Always and Rochelle

nic, what a great discovery! I like the new resealable bags for the sports beans even if they are too sweet for me. I think I was fueling to soon now I am in the bad habit of waiting too long. I have less than two weeks to figure it out.

Gaye, I am following Amy's story (via your reports). My heart just goes out to her. I am so glad she had a strong showing at the walk.

CFG - was that your dress? It's beautiful and I bet you are stunning in it.

mandy, it sounds like a great day paying it back support wise.

at the dragons/geckos/lizards.

I ran 3 today with Alice. I let her set the pace and she kept it under 9 mm until she had to walk a bit in the last half mile. I was so excited to be out with her. A couple of times I ran behind her so I could be sure she was setting the pace and not me. I think she's got the running bug.

#88 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 PM

bec, I am so proud of you!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#89 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 09:57 PM

YAY, bec!!! Can't wait to hear your race report!!!

Pictures from this morning's race are here.

#90 of 824 Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Hi gals. Congrats Bec!

I hate to do a drive by.. but I did a tri today. I am really happy with how I did. No GI issues. I'm still really slow, but I am proud of myself anyway. Here's my rr:

I’ve been wanting to do a triathlon for about 11 years when my brother Jeff and I discussed and started training. But I had 3 kids instead. I did my 1st tri in June, but I had major stomach problems and did not get to push myself like I had trained. So this tri was my “do over”.

I picked up on my training after I recovered from my tri in June. Allen also tuned up my bike and bought me slick tires. I planned on training hard through Sept. But joining my 1st ever tennis team, the weather, and Allen’s Germany trip made me cut out a lot of my tri-specific training. But I felt really good about the time that I put on over the summer, especially my running and swimming training. I also met a bunch of new-to-me ladies from my gym who were doing this race, and I enjoyed meeting up with them for some training sessions.

My brother, Jeff, has always been very athletic. He’s done multiple tris, including one 140.6 Ironman and one 70.3 half-ironman. He signed up for this sprint with me. He, my SIL and nephew drove up from New Orleans for a weekend visit and for us to race. We got in a swim workout together on Friday morning.

There was a mandatory bike check in on Saturday. Our family had a busy day with Catherine’s morning softball games, the LSU/UGA game and Victoria’s Girl Scout dinner and play for the family. On Saturday afternoon, the thought of organizing my transition bag, having my bike there and equipped in time, getting the kids stuff and food ready for bike drop off and race day, etc totally overwhelmed me. So my SIL drove all 3 kids to the bike drop off, and my brother and I got to drive our bikes alone in 1 car. We got to talk a lot about race tips, what time we would leave, what we would pack/eat. That made things so much easier.

We ran into my new friend Ruth at bike drop off. We were shocked to find that our race numbers were sequential (I was 891 and she was 892). We dropped our bikes, did a little expo shopping ( I got Catherine a cute TRY in Longlake’s colors for $25) and we were back to watch the 1st half of the game. We decided that SIL would bring the kids later in the morning to watch the ends of the race, so Jeff and I could get out of the house on time and with less stress (for me!). I went to sleep about 11 that night.

I woke at 5:10, about 10 minutes before the alarm went off. I took a shower, dressed, made coffee, and took off my earrings and engagement ring (I’ve already lost 1 diamond in Lanier, thank-you-very-much). Jeff and I did our body marking. We left at 5:45 and got to the parking lot at 6:15. I ate 1 egg, a slice of dry ww toast and a banana. (jeff had peeled our eggs the night before and placed in a zipper bag… marked “Fuel for Team Bloom” … pretty funny). It took us about 20 minutes to walk from the lot to transition. I ran into a bunch of friends, Jeff pumped up our tires, I took an advil and vitamin with some coffee and we grabbed caps/goggles right as they were closing transition. I stood in the restroom line for about 20 minutes, then we headed to the lake.

Jeff’s wave started 25 minutes before me, so I got to watch his swim start and finish. He was 2nd out of the water, and he heard me cheering for him.

My friend Stacy and I decided to start just like Jeff (and her dh) had started. So as we approached the lake, we were right in the front row but far right. We started, and I got a great start. No kicking or punching at all. I made a very narrow turn around the bouy, and got into a real good stroke pattern. The water was cold, but it actually felt great to swim in. The air as I was stroking my arm out actually felt much chillier. I wanted to slow down my swim, as I started getting tired, but I pushed on as I didn’t want to have any regrets regarding the swim. I started passing people the last 100 yards. Then I could see the bottom of the lake. I swam a little more until I knew the water was really shallow. I wanted to complete the swim to chip check point in 10 minutes (my normal pool 400 pace is 8-9 minutes). My watch said 9:45 as I got out. I tried running up the hill to the chip pad, but my HR was too high and I couldn’t get there in 15 seconds. My official swim time was 11.02.

I didn’t realize it, but Stacy stayed on my heels the whole swim. The walk/run up the huge hill transition was so hard, and I was spent when I reached the top. I made it back to my bike, dropped my goggles and caps and sat down to pull on my socks and running shoes (I had clips installed on my bike, but I never learned how to clip my spin shoes in…. so I had to have Allen switch my pedals back to cages in Sat.). I put on my sunglasses, clipped my helmet, and I was off. My T1 time was 5.06. This includes the trek up the long steep hill from the lake.

On the bike, I passed Jeff when I hit mile 1. He didn’t see me, but I called his name and he yelled mine back. I pulled on my gloves around mile 1. I knew that I has been anaerobic during the swim and hill climb, so I hit my fuel. I’ve been using honey and salt in a gel flask. I ate about 4T of that on the ride. The ride was pretty hilly, but I felt good. There was a super steep hill around mile 3. Lots of people were walking it, but I was able to stay on my bike the whole time. We hit PTI around mile 8. I think the honey kicked in then, and I felt awesome. I passed about 6 people between miles 8 and 10. Around mile 11, my legs felt tired and my bottom halves of my feet were getting tingly (the cages were loose, but I think I tied my Asics too tight). AS I approached transition, I remembered Angie’s advice about the big hill, so I geared down and rode solidly into transition. I saw my SIL, Elizabeth and Victoria. I felt great. My bike time was 1:01.54.

I racked my bike, threw off my helmet, grabbed my salt, and headed out. Jeff found me and ran/walked me out of transition. T2 was 1.25 I couldn’t run, as my feet were numb. I took a few swigs of Gatorade and then handed the rest to my kids as I passed them again. I ran/walked mile 1 until I had my toes back. I ran most of miles 2 and 3. I probably could have run more and run faster, but my legs were really tired. I heard the speakers in transition, and ran the last half mile to the finish. My run time was 39.17

My overall time was 1:58.43. I felt great the whole time. I burned 1458 calories and my max HR was 192. I had no GI issues. I think I gave the swim my all. I new bike would probably improve my time, and I could have pushed harder on the hills. I could have run more and run faster. It was really fun, and I can’t wait to do another!!! Jeff finished in 1:09. He placed 5th in his age group. He was 45 seconds off of 3rd place.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page