Running under falling leaves - the October dingo running thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 824 Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
:boobies! And <heavy sigh>

Bec - Great race report! I'm so happy for you! And proud of you and just generally and
On the costume, maybe she could go as Mother Earth and so be a little more human than sphere?
Or better yet.....Mother Nature!!! Fairy wings, wand, can you picture it?

Seriously though, I do like the Mother Earth idea. That's deep enough to fit your Emily, and it'll make people think.
#122 of 824 Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 PM

awesome rr and pics Bec.

Mel, I always let my kids walk/ride a bit in front of me. IMO, you can;t keep them in a bubble!!!!

I've signed up for an indoor tri in Nov. I'm hooked!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#123 of 824 Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 PM
bec

No worries, Penelope! It's something I struggle with too. It's especially difficult to try to explain his position when I really don't necessarily agree with it, but need to respect it out of family harmony.

Mandy - I was thinking something like your suggestion. I like the hurricane idea! I could add some cloud cover like that, too.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#124 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 AM

bec - I love your pics! You have an ear to ear grin in every single one of them! I don't think I commented on your RR yet. I got all warm and fuzzy re-living it with you. That's awesome that you got to see your family again when you weren't expecting to.

cath - I really enjoyed your RR, too! I can't even imagine how hard a tri must be. I'm sure I'd have to walk the entire 5k.

mommajb - re: BF on the TM - my TM belt heats up after about 2 miles. It gets surprisingly hot.
#125 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 01:15 AM

Ay yi yi...I just bombed a stats test. Holy moley. It would be nice if the questions were things that were at least similar to the examples in the text. I was completely lost on how to do a couple of them. And it took me over two hours to do it, too. 20 questions. Good thing I get a second chance (and extra credit)!

And now it's 10:30 and I still haven't eaten dinner (because I really didn't think it was going to take me that long).

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#126 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 AM

Gaye, It happens to all of us! When I think about the first few weeks of my grad-level stats class, I shudder. It ended up fine, and I even liked it (this after a lifetime of math-anxiety). But for a while it was completely impenetrable to me!

Cut a 4.5 miler short to 3 this morning -- RP and I couldn't find a good rhythm and it was very hot and humid again. Bleh. We were both stressed out and venting. I think it goes better when only one of us is in that state of mind and can anchor the other to a good rhythm! Otherwise we're so agitated we can't get it together. Ah, well. It was fast, anyway. I guess anxiety/adrenaline is good for short bursts of speed.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#127 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 AM

The moon last night was beautiful! I went to soccer to pick up/drop off and had every intention of bringing my littles home for baths. A good friend was coaching her oldest ds's team and had really struggled through her early game so I took her baby for her. He is such a cutie and so comfortable with me; he calmed right down and soon slept in the back of my stroller. I walked through the park and played with our 6 youngest children, the next two played soccer, and my ds1 referreed a game. It was perfect. There wasn't one single controversy with parents, nobody got lost in the dark, they had all had dinner and were as filthy as ever.... There aren't many nights like that and I was so glad to be able to help her out.

so... barefoot on the tm can lead to hot, gunky feet. I think I'll try it at my mom's and not at the health club. One can only imagine the gunk I would accumulate there.

Gaye, you'll rock the stats next time; this is why you did the extra credit. You have so many place to focus in your days. I can't believe how much you get done.

6.25 miles on the TM this morning. Dh teaches late on Thursday and I really appreciate getting outside those days. I need to get my head in this game.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#128 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
bec

I'm getting antsy to run again! Tuesday is usually a run day for me, so this feels weird and wrong (kind of like the first day of summer, when you think you should be in school?). I'm following Hal's marathon recovery plan, though, so I have some structure to the next few weeks!

But, I want to run!

#129 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Don't think, just run, right?

DH is in getting some skin cancer removed from his face and from his text message updates it's spread more than they thought. At the same time, got some devastating news about a young boy battling cancer. This sucks.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#130 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post

mommajb - re: BF on the TM - my TM belt heats up after about 2 miles. It gets surprisingly hot.
For just a second, I totally thought you were trying to breastfeed (BF) on the TM. I was wondering what a hot belt had to do with that!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
Don't think, just run, right?

DH is in getting some skin cancer removed from his face and from his text message updates it's spread more than they thought. At the same time, got some devastating news about a young boy battling cancer. This sucks.
Wow, that is hard. Thinking of you.

rr: did some speed work this morning and then some core work. My pelvis and back are so weak after carrying three babies in such a short period of time. Trying to work on that before adding a lot of miles.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#131 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM

memiles

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#132 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 02:54 PM

memiles

I am very irritated today. Sigh. DS is being uber-annoying. I posted asking for help on the stuff I didn't get from the stats exam, and the instructor's response was not even remotely helpful. X is going to be late picking up DS for preschool because he waited until 15 minutes beforehand to head to the grocery store to pick up something for snack (he's class parent today). Oh, and of course, I have had no word from the boy again. Argh.

On the bright side, as soon as X gets here to pick up DS, I'm heading out for lunch with a friend, which should help a bit. Probably followed by a swim at the Y. And it seems like every time I post here that I haven't heard anything from the boy, I almost immediately hear something from him. So maybe.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#133 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 PM

memiles. That is news it might have been better to get in person.

Gaye, I hope the day gets less irritating.

I just conked here. Well, not really but I tried. Ds1 put ds2 down for his nap and I could have slept but dd3 is not capable of being quiet for 30 seconds straight. At least I knew where she was and what she was doing the whole time.

bec, my post marathon plan from hal calls for 2 miles on tuesday. Go for it.

#134 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Several of my parent friends are so far past the ends of their ropes they can't even find them anymore. I'm trying to figure out how to help a la dingo commune. Sigh. It would be nice if the universe would just back off for a while, you know?
sigh. here too.

memiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
I am very irritated today. Sigh. DS is being uber-annoying. I posted asking for help on the stuff I didn't get from the stats exam, and the instructor's response was not even remotely helpful. X is going to be late picking up DS for preschool because he waited until 15 minutes beforehand to head to the grocery store to pick up something for snack (he's class parent today). Oh, and of course, I have had no word from the boy again. Argh.
I would have made X pick up ds and then go to the store. It seems only fair.

Oh and can you call your prof? I always give out my number, but students seldom call. I'm sure that I can do a better job explaining something verbally to my online students than I do in an email.

I think you need to get this boy's number so you can just call him.

There is preschool drama in my life. Urgh. How is that possible? I'm the president of the board for preschool (it's hard to say no when the teachers call you up and ask you to head up the parents board of directors). There's a fundraising dance. We've done in 3 years in a row. It goes well, the kids have fun and it's pretty easy. Apparently the lady who agreed to spearhead the whole thing changed the meeting time without sending home a note (so as president I didn't know it was changed because DH just does not see the announcements on the wall). So the teachers are concerned that it will not go well. It's supposed to happen in 3 weeks but there's no dj yet. Oy. this is why I don't want to be in charge.

Between my kids, the dog and the nasty windstorm we had this weekend I've slept like s**t for about a week now. I'm so fried. Off to grade some exams.....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#135 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
bec, my post marathon plan from hal calls for 2 miles on tuesday. Go for it.
I'll bet you are looking at Week 1 of the plan. I'm looking at Zero week, which is the week immediately following the marathon. Look again, before you get yourself in trouble!!!Zero Week

Memiles - My thoughts are with you.

Gaye - I hope your day gets better.

It is cold, windy, and yucky. Perfect for post marathon blues.

#136 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 03:50 PM

memiles - Hopefully he texted because it's worse but not realy bad kwim?

Bf on the tm and I didn't notice it getting hot but I only went 1/2 mile so it probably wasn't far enough. I also didn't notice any gunkiness but I didn't think to look.

I did my lower body weights today and then swam laps for 30 minutes. I meant to count laps but I lost track after only 8 or so because I started trying to beat the guy in the lane next to me and I got all distracted. But it felt like a good solid workout.

I'm all distracted now with thoughts about whether we can actually spend 2 months down in Mexico this winter. Our house there isn't rented and dh can work anywhere he's got internet so it really is only up to whether we can find a reliable housesitter. My RP might be interested, she and her dh want to sell their house but it's very small and with two boys it's impossible to keep it show ready. Of course the market isn't too hopping here in the middle of winter but, we'll see I guess. But I'm having all these images of hanging out with old friends and eating tacos and swimming outdoors and and and... If we do it there is also the possibility of driving to San Diego first (poppy? CFG?). That does seem pretty crazy doesn't it? Oy, I'd better start mucking out the house (again).

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#137 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 04:06 PM

geo, kerc, and friends of geo and kerc - that the rope becomes visible again soon.

Preschhol drama really sounds like something that should be avoidable. I'll assume it is an adult dance and that you aren't looking for a dj and homecoming dresses for preschoolers.

bec - ack! you are right! I completely missed week zero.

Muck out the house is about right here. I wonder about getting my bathroom redone in the next 10 days before mmy parents try to the shower. My house is very much like the one I grew up in but my parents have moved on since then and seem to expect more... Or maybe they just expect more from me than they did of themselves? Or maybe it doesn't matter and I am thinking about the shower rather than 26.2 miles?

#138 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Kristine, my oldest dd is in 5th grade and is participating in Girls on the Run right now. It is the first time it has been available in our community and it is a hit. There are 12 girls in it which is a limit imposed by GOTR the first time through I am told. A few of the girls come from running families, a couple were enrolled presumably to introduce them to fitness. Either way it is a very supportive group for everybody. Our local hospital is sponsoring it though the cost to us was still $80. The 5K will be around Thanksgiving. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

ETA: I did find it funny that one of the corporate sponsors is Frosted Flakes so we got sample and coupons and logo printed water bottles for a food that is clearly not healthy. The program is having its intended outcome of activity/forward motion and support for a strong girl environment. Anything with a sponsor has its downside....

Thanks for the info that is great. I know that the cost is pretty high. We are hoping to get some gov't money to get the cost down to $120 Yikes! I just checked the website and it looks like the Canadian Sponsors are somewhat more sports related than Frosted Flakes
#139 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 04:10 PM

mommajb: the dance is for the kids -- lights on, dj, costumes....very fun. If you have the right dj. Otherwise it's 40 families, dressed up in costumes milling around.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#140 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 04:16 PM

memiles

Geo and kerc ~ Hang in there

Gotta run tonight.....
#141 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 04:51 PM

memiles - I'm hoping it's not too much worse than previously thought.

breastfeeding on the TM...now that would be hardcore!

bec - I can't believe you're ready to run again! I could barely walk at this point after my marathon. You go girl!

plady - we'd meet you in SD!

I'm mucking out my house, too. The dinglets were supposed to stay at MIL's instead of going to my half this w/e. Turns out her house is being worked on and she's going to have to come here.
#142 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 05:00 PM

following along. I simply can't run, so just lurking these days!

Hugs to all who need it!
#143 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 05:04 PM

DH is home with a huge bandage on his face. They had to take out quite a bit but swear they got it all. The thing that pissed me off is that the doctor actually threw a fit over how long it took for his office to get the appointment made- it was 6 weeks from the referral from the primary care doc till they got him in for the evaluation, then another 3 before the procedure was scheduled. Guess that ticked the doc off and he went out and raised holy hell with his schedulers. All well and good if it helps someone else, but not great for us. He's going to have a fairly large scar on the side of his face, but in all I'm incredibly thankful that it's over and that it's all gone.

The stress made me fly (for me) this morning and I shaved another minute off of my 5K time. Go, me!

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#144 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Yikes, memiles. For things to shave time off my run, I think I would go with lizards instead. Eeek. Quick healing to your DH.

Nik, I can't believe the job stuff still isn't sorted out. Gah.

Gotta find time to take C out for drinks this week, as it's probably what she needs -- time with someone who won't judge her for her parenting. Seriously folks. I might have opinions about the situation, but I've not lived through her hell. I would never think to open my mouth.

Another friend, well, needs more than drinks. I ran into her on campus, I innocently asked her how she's doing, and she burst out crying.

Heading home now to beat the storm.

ETA: I just reread what I wrote. I'm headed out to beat a rain storm. No other storms brewing that I'm aware of.
#145 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 PM

Mommabelle, I hope things look up for you soon and that you can get back to running.

kerc, I didn't mean to be dismissive/sarcastic, I was confused. for just the right dj and a good time for all the families involved.

memiles, here's to a happy reason to cut time soon.

gah! I've been on here entirely too much today. Perhaps tomorow is send the mouse to work with dh day.

#146 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 PM

kerc~I actually DO have his number now, but I just feel weird about using it, kwim? Especially as I don't really have any specific reason to call him and I don't feel like we're at the point of "just because" phone calls yet. I may send an email tonight. I hope your dance issues get cleared up. I so hear you on not wanting to be in charge. I steer way clear of leadership positions!

I'm in a slightly better mood after lunch with a friend and a swim at the Y. And X is going to keep DS till just before bedtime, so that helps. I should log on and check my class, but I think I'll wait until later. So then I don't feel guilty if it drives me to drink.

#147 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Ok, I caved and sent a text.

#148 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Ok, I caved and sent a text.

My read on the situation? He's interested but one of those clueless guys that is afraid to take some initiative. Like, say, my husband......I actually had to propose to him . If you really like him, or want to have the time to find out, it's certainly ok in my book to ask him out, invite him for coffee or a ride, whatever works. Maybe he'll catch a clue.

#149 of 824 Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 PM
bec

Quote:
bec - ack! you are right! I completely missed week zero.

Or maybe it doesn't matter and I am thinking about the shower rather than 26.2 miles?
Hmmm, who has taper madness now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
bec - I can't believe you're ready to run again! I could barely walk at this point after my marathon. You go girl!
I think you ran a lot harder than I did. Plus, I did not have the wicked SF hills! Nice, flat Milwaukee. Ah, the Good Land, indeed!

memiles - Gotta go with Geo on this one. Pick the lizards over skin cancer to motivate a quick run! I am glad that your dh is recovering, and will be all right. I can only imagine how terrifying that must be.

Gaye - Yay on the text! I think you need to move beyond bike rides to coffee. I think it is time for coffee!

#150 of 824 Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 AM

memiles - Glad it is over and your DH is going to be okay.

Gaye - Yeah on the text!

Got up at 5:30 and ran this morning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page