Running under falling leaves - the October dingo running thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd sneak in here and start the new thread! To quote our own professor Geofizz:
"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, I'll post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the race list for the October thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

1hautemama - Martin County Halloween Half Marathon - October 26
doctorjen - Canal Connection 10K - November 1
mommajb - Monumental Half Marathon - November 7
Ocean's Eve - 5K - November 21
Nickarolaberry - Women's Half Marathon - November 22
HomeBirthMommy - Atlanta Half Marathon - Novemeber 26
Hollysmom - Santa Shuffle 5K Toronto, Ontario - December 5
1hautemama - Marathon of the Palm Beaches - December 6
cornflake girl - Las Vegas Half Marathon - December 6
1hautemama - River Roots and Ruts Trail Half Marathon - January 3, 2010
Nickarolaberry - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 10, 2010
tjsmama - Rock-N-Roll Arizona Marathon - January 17, 2010
grnmtnmama - Singlespeed USA - February 6, 2010
Love My Babies - Five Points of Life Half Marathon - February 14, 2010
The Preggo Dingo List

Realrellim - April 2010
VeganCupcake - It's a , welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.
#3 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 PM

ello! I've been MIA dealing with lots of family stuff, but I'm back and ready to run! How are you ladies??

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#4 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. I feel like the race list is getting a little empty - y'all need to sign up for some more races!

pumpkinseed - I sympathize on the sleep issues. My last dd didn't sleep through until she was 34 mos old - but she was willing to sleep as long as she was next to me and could get a quick drink whenever she needed, which is much better than being up for hours in the night! I think having dh take over for a bit sounds like a great idea.

I meant to say before, that I dedicated my run on Saturday to Griffin, and Wendy, and reb's girls, too. I hope we all never forget!

mommajb - I'm thinking about the Indy. My real life RP is thinking about it, too, so if she decides to do it I'll probably be in.

RR - I ran almost 6 miles last night - did a long warm up, then 3 x 800 at 4:30, with 400 jobs in between, then a long cool down. The run itself felt great - which was nice since I hadn't run since Sat, but afterwards I felt awful. I ate Mexican for supper, than took a migraine pill as the minor headache I'd been nursing for a couple days was becoming a major head. I felt okay by time to run, and the run itself was nice, but that must be a bad combination as I was so nauseated and weak after the run. The nausea persisted into today, but seems to have finally eased up. I'm planning an easy run tonight.

NRR - I felt absolutely at my breaking point with work in the last week, and then miraculously the last few days haven't been bad. Today I had a bunch of no-shows in the office (which is annoying, but for right now, not terrible) and was done completely by 5:20, including all paperwork, all return calls, and all outstanding labs. The universe apparently is taking a little break on me!
#5 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Hello October!

Please add to calendar for me -- Singlespeed USA - February 6

no activity today, but we did get snow on the mountains which i am not excited about.
#6 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 09:28 PM

Okay, so running etiquette question:

My running partner is a terrific person and I really like running with her. She is doing the distance with me even though at the moment she's not signed up for the half I plan to do in Nov.

My (Higdon) schedule shows a 10K race for this weekend. There is one reasonably close by. I'd like to do it, but RP prefers not to. She wants to just do a long run here, probably 9 (which is what is on next week's schedule).

What should I do? Is it totally rude to go and do the 10K anyway?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#7 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 09:55 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
That is great news JayGee! I have the post card hangning up for the Indy mini. How many dingos are thinking about it this time around? I will definitely be there to run and/or cheer.
I am planning on it! Sarah too, if she can get herself healthy!

Nic - Run the race. I don't think it's rude at all.

FMR: Ok, I know I'm not supposed to be doing anything, but I chaperoned Katie's 3rd grade class to the botanic gardens today. It had a lot more walking than I imagined. It was fun, but the bus ride coming home just about did me in! Wow, a bus full of 8-9 year olds is LOUD!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#8 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 PM

Jaygee..great news!

P'seed ..hope you get some sleep

I had to go get my routine thyroid check today and now have to do routine lab work. Just have to pay cash for it now, which is tough right now. It stinks.

We have some tentative good news today, but I just want to hold on to being too excited. Hope is always refreshing though!

Hopefully I will be able to get my some therapy on my leg soon !!!

I had a tough workout yesterday and rest today. Tomorrow is another lower body day. I could not try out a little run this week, because my hip/leg flared up. I think I sat too much one day.

Thank you all for all your support! You rock!
#9 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 PM

I'm running a 10 k next saturday ... whistlestop 10k in Bayfield, Wisconsin.

My only prep for said race (which incidentally will be the longest I've ever run in a row) will be having run 3 x a week with dd in the jogger. 2-3 miles at a shot. I have done 5 miles before, in recent memory but still, what the heck was I thinking?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#10 of 824 Old 10-01-2009, 11:04 PM

drjen, you can put me down for the Denver Half-Marathon, October 18. I still haven't actually registered yet, but you all know I'm going to.

cfg~I *want* to do SD rock n' roll, but I need to check with my BIL to see if he's doing the surprise celebration for my sister's hooding ceremony in Ohio that weekend. Kind of hard to be in Ohio and California at the same time, ya know?

jaygee~I forgot to mention... for getting cleared! Hooray!

nic~I would run the race, too. But then, I *am* a raceaholic.

kerc~You can do it!

A couple of emails from the boy today. Still can't really read him. We might go for a ride on Sunday.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#11 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies, all, for fluffing up my race list a bit! We are really busy in October!

I ran 4 easy on the treadmill. Now off to shower and bed!

I finished September, traditionally a really bad running month for me, with 17 runs for 83 miles, so not too bad!
#12 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 AM

No RR for today........because I just came back from my first day of clinic as an honest-to-goodness student midwife (or, SMMMMMMM, as the senior student calls us). Away from home for 14 hours, lost count of the number of mamas and babies we saw, and I can wholeheartedly say that I am meant to do this. I know what the birth part entails, having doula'ed for the last 5 years, but this just felt RIGHT. I took blood pressures! I palpated bellies! I measured fundal heights and weighed babies!

And tomorrow I will run, but tonight I'm going to bed and praying the phone doesn't ring for a birth until at least Saturday.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#13 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 AM

drjen - I have the Columbus, OH Marathon on October 18 you can add to the race list!

kerc, I sugget wearing a dingo shirt for added power. You can do it.

memiles, you must be meant to do to enjoy a long day away from home.

Nic, try to see the future and do what you will regret not having done. Clear?

I am so excited about the Indy mini. I'll officially start thinking about it now. I'm going to need new shoes soon and I want a jacket for outdoor running. I am feeling a bit pinched about it all. I guess I'll focus on running and not worry about what I am wearing the rest of the day.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#14 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

My only prep for said race (which incidentally will be the longest I've ever run in a row) will be having run 3 x a week with dd in the jogger. 2-3 miles at a shot. I have done 5 miles before, in recent memory but still, what the heck was I thinking?
<- your cheer squad

You can do it!!!!!

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#15 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 AM
bec

Go Kerc!!! You can totally do it!

#16 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 10:03 AM

memiles: what an exciting start to your new career! Congratulations on knowing exactly what you want to do and getting started on doing it.

kerc: good luck with the 10K! Once the adrenaline kicks in, it'll be no problem.

I'm still off the roads this week. My knee is slightly better; I can walk up and down stairs again. But I don't want to push it. I need to get some cooler-weather running gear, too. I don't think the pajama pants I've been running in so far are going to cut it for a Massachusetts fall and winter. This morning it was 40 degrees out and my kids were whiny about walking to the bus stop (about a quarter mile away). It was tempting to put them in the warm car and drive them, but that's a slippery slope I don't want to start down the first week of October.

Focusing right now on refinancing our house. If it goes through as planned, we'll be able to save a tremendous amount of money every month on our mortgage. Right now things are tied up because our banker didn't realize our house is a log cabin ( ). Now we're hunting down blueprints and doing research to figure out if it's an actual log cabin, which someone higher up in the company will have to deal with, causing us lost time and possibly a higher interest rate for some unknown reason, or if it's just a log-style home. I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but I'm stressed out from dealing with the whole process.

It's hard work being an adult.

Enjoy the fall running; I'll hope to be out there again by the middle of the month.
#17 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM

Okay, you can put me down for the Gasparilla Island 10K this Sunday. :

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#18 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Hmm. I feel like the race list is getting a little empty - y'all need to sign up for some more races!
Please add me to the race list for Santa Shuffle 5K, Toronto On - December 5...I love this race because you get little bells for your shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Go Kerc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
A couple of emails from the boy today. Still can't really read him. We might go for a ride on Sunday.
Keep us posted

Didn't run this morning so I will have to get up early tomorrow to get a run in before the girls swimming lessons.
#19 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hollysmom - I added you. I had to do a quick edit because I had you running the "Satan Shuffle!"
#20 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Hollysmom - I like the bells. It would normally drive me crazy but for some reason today I think it sweet.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#21 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Hollysmom - I added you. I had to do a quick edit because I had you running the "Satan Shuffle!"

Just walked a long way in rain so I needed a good laugh.

I am evil, but...probably they wouldn't have a race just for me
#22 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 PM

just checking in on Holland to see if she's feeling better and ready to ROCK her half this weekend!

and Bec, i'll be sending you lots of great racin' vibes too!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#23 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 05:02 PM

subbing

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#24 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 05:26 PM

subbing
#25 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 06:01 PM
bec

Race information - I finally worked my way through the Runner's information PDF that they sent me. I have had a very hard time even thinking about it! So, it took me a while to get through it, but I finally did. I don't think I am going to be able to do the race tracking thing. I have procrastinated getting it set up, and now I'm afraid I won't have time to make it work! But, you can go Here and enter my bib number. I assume they will do the normal updates. It's chip timed, so should be pretty close (as in, slow!). My bib number is 113!

#26 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Go, Bec, GO!!!

Started having a panic attack, so although I was totally exhausted I threw on my shoes and did a little over 3 miles. I feel much better and have learned that my neighborhood is a pain in the rear to run on garbage day.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#27 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 PM

bec - i can help you get it set up if you want - it only takes a few minutes, really. PM me if you want either my email, IM or phone number. happy to help! SO EXCITED FOR YOU!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#28 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
Started having a panic attack, so although I was totally exhausted I threw on my shoes and did a little over 3 miles.

Don't think, just run. Nicely done.

Bec, Holland, everyone else running insanely long distances this weekend

Running again tonight.

We are welcoming October with fevers, ear infections, and pink eye. Yeehaw.
#29 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 PM

Yay, memiles! Glad your first day was so good! It must be an awesome feeling to find something that you know you were meant to do!

Geo~Yikes. Sounds like your household needs some serious October is my favorite month, no time for such trivial things as pinkeye!

Good luck to this weekend's racers: Nic, CathToria, and Bec! I can't wait to stalk you, Bec...good thing I now have an iphone to do it on...

Because I will not be home tomorrow morning as I am going riding with the boy. He *finally* called me this afternoon, and his plans changed so we are going riding tomorrow (rather than Sunday afternoon, which was my original plan). This totally puts a wrench in my plans to run 12 this weekend, but you know what? I don't care. I'll do it on Monday, pushing the stroller if I have to! We are totally going to freeze to death, though...expected temperature at meeting time is less than 40 degrees. Good thing the first half is all uphill!

rr~Got a nice 15 mile bike ride in with a friend and trailers. A few decent hills, but I didn't want to work TOO hard, since I was thinking I would be running 12 in the morning.

I really, really must work on my A&P lab tonight. 48 hours till it's due. There is no choice. Blech.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#30 of 824 Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
We are welcoming October with fevers, ear infections, and pink eye. Yeehaw.
You're just getting it all out of the way before winter starts Hope you all feel better soon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page