Is there an Emotional Eating tribe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 10-23-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a group of ladies to be connected to and to help each other out with overcoming Emotional Eating. I thought I saw in a post here that there used to be an Emotional Eating tribe - is it still around? How does one go around starting one?
I'm still kind of new here (well, it's been 5 years BUT I'm not around enough to know these things).

Ideas?

Agnieszka

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)
#2 of 82 Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 PM

I would be interested as well. I saw a post a bit farther down the page about 'barriers to treating your body well' but I like the idea of an Emotional Eating tribe.

I am doing well right now on a new diet, but I expect to struggle in a few more days here. That's just been my pattern and I am so, so ready to break it but have not yet found the key. Still searching!
#3 of 82 Old 10-23-2009, 04:59 PM

I would really be interested in this tribe too. I've been eating for emotional reasons since high-school (and I'm 41 now ). A lovely coping mechanism learned from my own mother . I want to break the cycle so my two DDs don't have to struggle with this as they get older.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#4 of 82 Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

anyone know how to get one started???

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)
#5 of 82 Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 AM

I don't know how to start one but I was the one who posted about emotional barriers to treating your body well. I am def interested in a tribe so we can help and encourage ea other.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#6 of 82 Old 10-25-2009, 08:55 AM

I think to start a tribe, well, you just start it ! This sub-forum is the appropriate place for it, so shall we just continue on this thread until it gets too long? Maybe the OP can rename it so anyone who comes here knows that it's a tribe and can join in.

That said, how is everyone doing on the emotional eating front? What kinds of things do you do to keep yourself from heading to the pantry when it's calling your name?

#7 of 82 Old 10-25-2009, 09:13 AM

count me in. just ate something "just because", grrr. why can't I stop myself! Sorry that the rest of you go through it too, but glad we all have support. I just want to eat healthy and when I'm hungry, is that so much to ask?

How do I not pass eating problems on to my kids? (good thinking Jaygee)
#8 of 82 Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 AM

I guess I could say I am an emotional eater. When I am high stressed I crave comfort foods. Which could be made healthy, but usually aren't.

Are there any good books out there that can give guidance as to how to get off this emotional eating train? Cause I want to find the station and get off.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#9 of 82 Old 10-25-2009, 06:16 PM

I am also worried about passing this on to my dd. It's one of my primary motivations in kicking this habit.

I am doing well so far on my new diet, but that doesn't mean much. In the past, it has meant that when a strong emotion hits (a fight with DH, an issue with DD/DS) I get angry about the diet and binge like there's no tomorrow.

I have probably read half a dozen (or more) books on this issue and so far none of them have helped me. Lately, when a craving hits I do the following: breathe deeply & name the feeling, make a cup of tea, distract myself, and ride out the craving. The cravings do pass, but then I haven't had any rough emotional patches for the last 5 days or so. That will be the true test.

I am glad to know I am not alone in this! Some days I feel like the only loser who can't control herself with the cookies. YK?

How is everyone else doing today?
#10 of 82 Old 10-25-2009, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I definitely use food to mediate emotions. Whether that's eating, not eating, controlling what I eat, etc. and, yes, all learned from my Mother, too. I was honestly glad to have a son because I dread, DREAD passing on my issues to a DD. Im really trying to treat my body with respect right now, even thought I HATE the number on the scale, I hadn't weighed myself in years, and through the pregnancy I just asked to be weighed blindly, though I was told how much I was gaining. The other day the stupid nurse blurted out my weight and I was mortified... despite being back to almost pre=pregnancy weight. I really thought I was 10-15 pounds less than I am. I feel embarrassed by how much a number can affect me, and also how it ties to my state of mind. Damn this cultural focus on weight and eating..

So glad to have you women here, sharing your own stories and difficulties.

Here's to respecting our bodies and souls.
Alex

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#11 of 82 Old 10-25-2009, 10:04 PM

I've found any of Geneen Roth's books on emotional eating to be very helpful. She's btdt and it's great to hear from someone who'd fought the good fight and won.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#12 of 82 Old 10-26-2009, 03:18 PM

I'm subbing. I had the flu for a week and it was horrible. But, I didn't crave any foods or feel like eating at all. It was a nice break to not think about food for once.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#13 of 82 Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM

I am so in this group. I set up an appointment, for a couple of weeks from now, with a therapist who specializes in this, but I am desperately in need of day-to-day support.
#14 of 82 Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
I'm subbing. I had the flu for a week and it was horrible. But, I didn't crave any foods or feel like eating at all. It was a nice break to not think about food for once.
Me too. I'm not *that* sick, but nothing sounds good and I just don't want to eat. But I know I have to. Dangit.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#15 of 82 Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 AM

academama ~ if you don't mind sharing, I'd be really interested to hear what your therapist has to say about all this stuff.

I'm doing well right now. I haven't eaten for reasons other than hunger for a week now. May it continue this way...

#16 of 82 Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 AM

I'm a huge emotional eater. Happy? Let's eat. Sad? Eat again. Depressed? Eat lots more. Etc. My goal for the next several weeks is to listen to my body and only eat when hungry. What a challenge for an emotional eater!

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#17 of 82 Old 10-29-2009, 08:02 PM

that's a great goal. wishing you the best!

I am picking up the recommended book at the library tomorrow, thank you!
#18 of 82 Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Sooooo... how do we start a tribe??

I'll send a message out to the mods and ask - I may have already said, I'm kinda new at this, so I'll need backup!

A.

#19 of 82 Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Just start a new thread and title it "Emotional Eating Tribe" or if we want to have monthly threads, title it "November Emotional Eating Tribe" Or something similar. There's no formal process. I like having monthly threads so that they don't get too big.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#20 of 82 Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
academama ~ if you don't mind sharing, I'd be really interested to hear what your therapist has to say about all this stuff.
I'll be happy to share when I get started. Right now I'm focusing on maintaining--just getting through this particular difficult patch in my dissertation without totally going to pieces on the health front.
#21 of 82 Old 11-01-2009, 05:13 PM

CURSE YOU HALLOWEEN CANDY! CURSE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Having a hard time leaving the candy alone bc I feel so blah.....just unmotivated and overwhelmed.

I think I have identified the major feeling that makes me want to eat-feeling overwhelmed and like I can't handle everything and that I am not doing a good job.

So my choices are to a) become a totally awesome super woman and get it together; cooking, cleaning, child rearing, and do it from a zen place w/a smile on my face, or b)figure out how to deal w/the emotions in a way that doesn't involve eating crap.

Since I don't see a happening anytime soon I guess I better check out that book that a pp mentioned.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#22 of 82 Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 PM

just picked up the book this weekend, and haven't had a chance to start yet. Looks good and I'm up for it! Been waking up with headaches this week, and thought about all the sugar I've been eating linking that with the headaches I think. Off to feel better!
#23 of 82 Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Okay, page 14 of the " Breaking Free from Emotional Eating" book, and I've already made a connection. "When I'm not hungry and good food is around, I feel that I'm missing something very special if I don't eat"

Anywhere I go where there is food, I feel I "have" to eat it because this is my "chance"

I don't eat my kids halloween candy because I feel that they worked hard for it and it's theirs so there is no draw for me to bother it. Yesterday, my 9yo was very lovey, and in that mood he gave me two of my favorite candies. I took them because it was the offer of love in a gift from him, I promptly put them out of site and not touched them or thought of them since (with the exception of writing this). My 7yo, seeing this, did the same, and again, I put it up after showing my enthusiasm for such a loving gesture (to give something to someone else that you want for yourself).

Ahh, it's the small moments. I'm now really being thoughtful about the book connection and can't wait to read more of it to dig deeper.

Hope you are all doing well today!
#24 of 82 Old 11-03-2009, 03:51 PM

I totally think the same way, RM. My mantra this Halloween has been "I can get a Snickers bar ANY day of the year, I don't NEED to eat one now because it's there".

Geneen Roth is wonderful .

#25 of 82 Old 11-17-2009, 05:10 PM

Is this still going? I'd love to join.

Happy mama to Asia born 07/15
#26 of 82 Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrymosa View Post
Is this still going? I'd love to join.
Of course . How is everyone doing? I feel like I'm on a really good course right now. I haven't eaten for reasons other than "being hungry" in 26 days now . It feels very good, although actually feeling the emotions that tend to drive me to food can be very uncomfortable.

#27 of 82 Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 AM

I hope this thread takes off. I am just realizing that this is getting really serious and I need help. Overeating is an eating disorder with the same beginnings and anorexia or bulimia. I have been this way since I was young, but it's caught up to me now that I cannot exercise and don't work outside the home (you know, where I wouldn't eat as much, etc). Ugh... I need major help.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#28 of 82 Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 PM

Wow, what timing for me to have found this topic. TODAY: I bought a gourmet box of chocolates to give to a friend as a thank you for her recent kindness. I just asked my husband to hide it somewhere in the attic as it's 3/4 gone!!! I am not making this up. I can not have sweets (or any snacks for that matter) in the house or I eat them all in record time. Sometimes I have so little self control. I even tried brushing my teeth to help me stop, as this has helped in the past. It didn't work tonight.
Let's keep on sharing tips as I oviously need them. Thanks...

~ ~
#29 of 82 Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 AM

Ugh!! I tend to do that with things I buy or bake for the kids

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#30 of 82 Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoldenlife View Post
Wow, what timing for me to have found this topic. TODAY: I bought a gourmet box of chocolates to give to a friend as a thank you for her recent kindness. I just asked my husband to hide it somewhere in the attic as it's 3/4 gone!!! I am not making this up. I can not have sweets (or any snacks for that matter) in the house or I eat them all in record time. Sometimes I have so little self control. I even tried brushing my teeth to help me stop, as this has helped in the past. It didn't work tonight.
Let's keep on sharing tips as I oviously need them. Thanks...
OMG! This is sooo me! If I buy it, I eat it... all of it at one sitting unless I eat so much that I make myself ill. I don't even know how to enjoy and savor anything. I need help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page