Dingos Run for Turkey and Pie! November Running Mamas Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vent: it took 13 minutes to load this page: 8 just for the links up top and another 5 for the posts. By the time it finished my kids were back telling me they were bored. Why can't MDC have a phone app? Grrrrr...

Who was going to go no sugar? JayGee? We have been a sugar-free household for about 3 or 4 years. However, only in the last few months have also dropped it outside the house. The difference is huge when combined with cutting out beer. All those post- csection situps and races were nothing compared to dropping beer and sugar completely. My stomach is almost back to normal and I'm def down a size. I used to sneak candy and have zero interest anymore. However, like Jooj, I rely on 1 or 2 very good, very dark chocolate bars hidden in the house, aka Mommys medicine.

Candy: the candy fairy found our house again this year and took all the cand but left in their places a much-desired toy for each - not that I'm proud of buying but it works...

Well , I never pulled up that article. I meant to but it took a full 20 min to upload one I wanted to read first so I gave up. I second Naught Dingo and was glad to read the positive responses. We Are The Dingos and if you haven't trained thru motherhood, pregnant, nursing, co-sleeping then you have no idea. Back off buddy!

Jooj and DrJens daughter- yay for writing. I have about a half-dozen pieces I've started but I always get stuck (or distracted) in development.

Omg I just bumped something and thought I was going to lose the whole post. This is gong to give me a hernia.

No run today but Tae Kwon Do tonight which is always a good workout.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#62 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
subbing!! i turned 42 yesterday, and had a nice 25 hr long birthday!

Happy November, ladies!!!
Happy Birthday!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
I know I was all up on slow runners yestereday, but I have to admit I got all pretty teary watching Meb win the New York Marathon! And those super fast women, who are all mothers! The youngest of the top 4 women was 34 years old!
for the "old" people! I always said I wanted to run a marathon by the time I was 40, starting to have children a bit later (and having 3) made me miss that window. I think I will shot for doing one before I am 45...gives me a few years to train

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Dd's 7th bday thursday, crap at work and I feel like garbage ( not sure if it's illness, bad diet, work stress, combination).

I'm posting a goal for the week (Mon-Sunday):
  • 2 x 3 mile runs
  • 1 x 4 mile run
  • 2 yoga classes
Work related goals as well. Most of them require me maintaining my sanity in a very insanely stressful work environment. Wish me luck.
I hope you are feeling better.

ND -

Candy related - I only allowed myself to take one little bag of chips and one little candy bar to work....they are gone.

Run related - did a slow painful 2 miles this morning. I just could not get my rhythm
#63 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 04:46 PM

Meant to say:

Happy (belated) Birthday. CathToria. I turned 42 in August. Yay for running in your 40s!!

#64 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
Omg I just bumped something and thought I was going to lose the whole post. This is gong to give me a hernia.
Sorry lofty but this made me laugh my head off.

4.75 miles but probably only about 2mi of that running, in gorgeous sunshine and bracing wind. Now for a quick snack (apple, not candy ) and then back to the piles of leaves. If I just get the pile in the front yard done today, I'll be OK with it.

Gigi, Happy Bday! What did you do with the extra hour?
#65 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Happy Birthday Gigi! Lucky you with a birthday on what may be the best day of the year.

JG - the larabars are peanut and cherry and a touch of salt I think. Delicious.

loftmama - I am not sure what you bumped into that eats posts and gives hernias but I hope it went away.

My week is off to a killer start. The van battery died during Helen's piano lesson which threw us all off.

Keep that candy out of your mouth and off your hips!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#66 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM

CathToria :happy birthday!

oops-I had one fun size snickers-oh well. just the one-that will be it for today!
#67 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 05:47 PM

cath - happy birthday!!

poppy - go get 'em girl! Did you decide on the half that's in your backyard?

No halloween candy for me either, but it wasn't for lack of trying. DD1 is keeping a very close eye on her inventory and I didn't feel right just pilfering from one dinglet. Somehow it's ok in my mind if I eat from each kids basket equally.

Must.Run.Tomorrow. Heat doesn't normally bother me but I think I must have become de-acclimated to it since it was cooler for a few weeks. Last week it was so cool my nose was running like a faucet when running and I had to wear a LS (well, ok, it was like 68 degrees , but I'm wimpy and that's all it takes), and now it's super hot again. It's really cool in the early a.m. though, so if I can just get my lazy butt out the door at a reasonable hour it wouldn't even be an issue.
#68 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 06:13 PM
bec

I got 2.45 miles in, and I got a good swim in today. Swimmers, don't laugh, but I was able to swim 4 laps without resting. That's a new high! I also did some drills and other stuff. And, no junk today. I've been trying to stay mostly phase 1 of South Beach today. In other words, avoiding the grains right now. I think I'll stick to a serving of whole grains at dinner for right now. I've been eating pretty well all day. Lots of veggies, good proteins. Here's to getting the excess off!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#69 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM

ash~I'm at your PCP on your behalf.

This whole clocks turning back thing is just KILLING me with DS. He's up at 6, and because it's light out, he's not buying the argument that it's not time to get up yet. This morning he insisted on sleeping in mommy's bed, which does NOT work. At all. There is giggling and whispering and bouncing. No sleeping. Sigh. Not to mention that since he's pretty much given up his nap, the nightmare behavior is starting even an hour earlier. I have two meetings this week that I have no choice but to take him with me to, and I need to come up with something to distract him, especially for Wednesday's.

I just realized that tomorrow is election day. And that I'm not sure where my mail-in ballot is. Guess I will be finding that and dropping it off tomorrow (thereby mostly defeating the purpose of a mail-in ballot).

Spin class at the Y today. It's technically supposed to be a rest day, but my legs are pretty sore, so I thought some movement might help recovery a little. It wasn't really a recovery-type of spin class today, though. Holy butt-kicking. It was good, although probably a LOT more than I needed to do today. Good for burning off all the stupid cookies we baked during the blizzard last week, though...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#70 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM

hello from florida. i'm in the midst of my big conference for the year and so far everything is okay. three days to go yet. first of two parties is tonight, 80's theme so I'm cutting the neck out of a ghostbusters t-shirt and preparing to peg my pants leg to look the part. my roomate was talking about doing my makeup, but maybe she'll forget.

No motion today, other than standing. But yesterday I took a hatha yoga class with all the old ladies that are residents of this resort. It was a bit of a hoot, somewhat relaxing. tomorrow i should be able to get a workout done. Starting to get excited for resuming training on the 14th of this month.

sorry no personals, i've read along and enjoyed the conversation so far.
#71 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 PM

bec, well done! No laughing from me as I am a terrible swimmer! I used to do triathlons and I was so embarrassingly slow at the swim part... I need to get back in the pool, though only my maternity suit will contain my boobs!!!

Cathtoria, happy birthday

DS is not doing well with the time change, either. Added to that he's still a bit jet lagged from our trip to Spain to see my parents a couple of weeks ago. I need some sleep pretty desperately.. alas, I think we're also going through the 4 month sleep regression. Tell me it gets easier!

Today my knee still hurts so 7 miles on the elliptical. I was planning on doing week4,day 2 of the couch to 5k schedule.. hopefully tomorrow evening.

Mon: 7 miles elliptical
Tues: 4 miles elliptical plus group power (possible run/walk in the evening)
Wed: 6-7 miles elliptical/run
Thurs: 4 miles elliptical plus group power
Fri: rest or run/walk
Sat: 5 miles elliptical/run, centergy, group power

Any nice weather and I'll try and bike outside - mountain or road. Also, aiming to do 3 short row/ergs this week to prepare me for rowing challenge from Thanksgiving to Christmas (still healing a rib stress fracture from rowing).

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#72 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
I just realized that tomorrow is election day. And that I'm not sure where my mail-in ballot is. Guess I will be finding that and dropping it off tomorrow (thereby mostly defeating the purpose of a mail-in ballot).
Um yeah, I did that too. I drove around with it in the car today but didn't make it to a drop-off spot. Hopefully that will happen tomorrow.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#73 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 PM

Just did my second NaNo installment. 4500w and counting. drjen, I give your dd credit! Wow. I wish I'd had the exposure and encouragement to give things like this a try back in the day. Ah well.

We finished the front yard, and now I have the piles in the backyard and then the stuff that's not raked yet. A little here and a little there. I have a busy week ahead, so raking leaves is not exactly my priority. I'm meeting my former boss for lunch this week, and another former colleague, and Wednesday I have another field trip! (Not to a farm this time.) But seriously, the social life is a little out of control. Not sure how to handle this. Lots of people I want to see, but jeez. If I have lunch with them all, well, no wonder I am having a weight issue.

So the plan is to walk/run another 4-5 tomorrow. I'm just glad to be out there on my feet this week.
#74 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 PM

I increased my mileage again today and managed 5.1. Interestingly, I'm running these runs pretty much as my prior LR pace. My endurance needs some serious work though. Those last 10 minutes just about killed me!

Tomorrow is Boot Camp again. Time to get on board the pain train (does anyone remember that Seinfeld? Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!)

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#75 of 1055 Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 PM

Oh, god, the candy. The cursed, evil candy.

I don't have self control, which is why I can't have junk in the house. Now it's in the house, and I can't stop myself from grabbing a little mini candy bar whenever I pass the candy bag. Argh.

And then tonight we had waffles for dinner. With ice cream. And fresh whipped cream. It's our traditional birthday breakfast, transformed into a birthday eve dinner so nobody has to wake up early to mix batter. Happy early birthday to me!

After dinner we all spent some quality time with Rock Band Beatles version. DD is five and can totally rock out to some "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Yellow Submarine."

Maybe tomorrow I'll, like, run. And NOT eat candy. No more candy! Of course, there will be chocolate cupcakes, and it would be rude not to eat those when DH slaved over them this evening.....
#76 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 AM

Seriously. Girls. Hands OFF the candy.

How many calories in tootsie rolls? Don't ask what size. We have all sizes.

P.S. Happy Birthday tomorrow, LaLaLaLa!
#77 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 12:10 AM

I have been candy free for 24 hours. I went to the gym this afternoon when I started jonesing.

But I have a giant bag of snickers, a gift from my daughter's friends as a thank you for letting them spend the night, in my desk drawer right beside me.

I am strong!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#78 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 12:14 AM

5.02 miles in 47:08 :

No, that's not normal for me.

Holy moly. RP got new shoes, is over her cold, and actually ate something today. She lit a fire under our a$$es and got us under a 10:30 minute mile. Way under. Ouch. I haven't maintained that kind of pace for that long since high school.

All the talk about the candy? Not an issue right now. I'm so close to the puking edge.

Gotta figure out my city council voting strategy. My options are between bad and worse. At this point, the state issues are easy 'no's.
#79 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 AM

drjen - can you please add these races to the list? (i'm not registered for the oakland half yet, but plan to soon)

san francisco run for the hungry 5k - nov 15

oakland half marathon - march 28

cfg - yes, i decided to try for oakland. i would love to come meet up for surf city but i want to do a race close to home (and do well for once) before i start doing destination races!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#80 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 AM

, lalala!!!

So, after all the drama with my A&P lab test, I somehow ended up with 42 points out of a possible 40. How that happened, when I know that I missed 2 questions, I have no idea.

And I'm quite at my calculator (and myself) at the moment. I just finished attempt #1 at my stats test for this unit, and while I didn't do awful (I got an 80), I knew how to do every freaking question. The questions I missed were because: a) my calculator decided not to calculate z-intervals for me (just giving me an error every time I tried to input data), so I did it by hand, and missed the questions because of rounding errors and b) I just clicked the wrong darn answer. And to make it even better, immediately after I finished the test, the stupid calculator decided that it would accept my data entry after all. Oh well, at least I'm fairly confident for when I DO retake the test now...

I should really go to bed, but I'm hopped up on caffeine, so I think I'm going to dive into some reading on the urinary system while watching Dancing with the Stars ...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#81 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM

Happy Birthday Lalala ! Now that sounds like a delicious celebration dinner!

Gaye ~ ugh, what a pain about the calculator, but I'm glad you did so well on your A&P lab .

Whoa, Geo! You smoked your run!

Jo ~ great discipline with your writing .

Today is DH's final day of preparation before his big inspection tomorrow. He's worked every day (including every weekend day) for the last 5 weeks. I'm ready for this to be over. He already left this morning and told me not to expect him home until at least 9:00pm tonight.

#82 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 AM

I went out to dinner with a friend last night (belated birthday gift. ) and had cake. It was her fault; she is a slow eater and I had nothing to do while she finished her dinner. I also knew she wouldn't have dessert so there was no need to wait. Then I came home and had candy. Even the tootsie rolles filled with PHO. Her diet plan is awful: she is allergic to tree nut sand to avoid cross contamination issues she doesn't eat baked good other than her own and her moms. It has saved her from eating some truly horrendous foods at church functions but even her husband has to avoid chocolate that might have come into contact with nuts.

I did run this morning, my own little 10K. And then I invited myself along on a little jog with some people at the gym for Thursday. I want to run with people but I think I need to set a real plan and stick with it. I am just floating around doing anything right now and really dreading the treadmill. I think I'll jog over to the gym and then home to get my miles in as they said they didn't go far. Just so I am not late to meet them.

I don't think we have any elections today. Historically Indiana take the year after a presidential election off as we are all still too tired (confused?) to vote again.

Gaye, you have the best evenings to report.

Time to wake the sleepy heads and rush them out the door.

#83 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 AM

Happy Birthday LaLaLaLa!

#84 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 AM

Hi all!

I did a very good, hard 3 miles with RP this morning...32:15. I wanted to do another 2, but she had to go and I didn't want to run in the dark on my own. Chicken?

My brother in law is running for Atlanta city council, election day is today (www.adamforatlanta.com). It's pretty cool! Go Adam!

Have a good day mamas!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#85 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM

Happy Birthday to me.

Today I am 32 years old. In July of this year I will celebrate my tenth wedding anniversary. At some point this year, probably early to mid February, I will pass the point at which I have known DH for half of my life. It's a strange but important milestone for me.

Last year we bought the house where we plan to stay forever. We have all the kids we're ever planning on having. I'm becoming a runner again. I'm feeling very settled.

I think 32 is going to be a good year.

DH took the day off and is cuddling in bed with the kids, so maybe I'll sneak off for a run right now. I'm doing a science presentation for DD's kindergarten class today, but she woke up coughing so I'm keeping her home until it's time for my presentation. Then maybe she can assist me so she doesn't infect any other kids with anything. It's hard for me to figure out how strict the school is about sick kids. If I keep DD home for every cold, I think she'll end up missing tons of school. I just think of winter as a cycle of cold after cold. I don't want to be THAT mom, though, who sends my kid to school and makes everyone mad.
#86 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM

Lalala

Geo, wow, you were smokin' - awesome!

Jooj, yay on the writing. I'd like to find that website sometime.

It's a perfect running day, 50 and clear. Plus the dog really needs it and the boys can bike next to me. That will be a first so I don't know how it will work. We had this fabulous country road to run on but the gal who owns it is acting very unfriendly. She came roaring up one day with her oldest boy, guns in the rear window, honking her horn and slamming the door. She told us it was her road and she saw our bicyce marks and to stay off it. I'm completely befuddled. She & I grew up together, the only 2 girls in a town full of cowboys. We would ride our horses all over the place, across creeks, through everyone's pastures. It was idyllic in my memory. I've been looking forward to my two sons doing the same but something terrible must have happened while I was gone. Her family members surround us and they are all being ordered by her to stay off, too, with their grandkids, horses, etc. I'm relieved to know it's not me and I feel I've gone out of my way to befriend her. Anyway, it's a perfectly gorgeous road and I think it's political but that leaves us just the one road with a logging trail at the end. I guess I'll measure the distance one day but I knd of like not knowing. Anyone else tha way?

Okay, lemon pecan muffinss should be ready. Off to start school. Oh yes and vote.

Have a great day everyone.

#87 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 AM

My day started, as so many do, with a phone call while I was trying to have a poop. (A nice mama with 2 sick kids who didn't know what to do with them)

And then, because that was on my mind, I misinterpreted tjsmama doing "some reading on the urinary system" to mean she was going to get a book and sit on the toilet. After a while, I rememebered she's in nursing school!

Happy Birthday LaLaLaLa! 32 was a good year for me. That was the year we had our last child, and sort of entered into the next phase of life.
#88 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM

Oh Lalala, you're a young 'un . It must be nice to be so settled at that point. When I was 32, I was just married, not even pregnant and living in yucky air base housing in California! At 41, a little closer to "settled" but not quite where you are .

DrJen, you're not the only one who read tjsmama's post that way .

lofty ~ that's just weird... wonder what's going on with your neighbor that's making her so "unneighborly". It sounds lovely where you live though. I'd love to be out in the country like that with logging roads to run on.

Okay, I've got a crazy morning ahead of me. Must motivate. First to brush the nasty taste of codliver oil out of my mouth . I sure wish that stuff tasted better.

#89 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Terrible night with ds... 3 hours very broken sleep following a few days of terrible sleep. I feel as though Im losing my mind this morning. Added to that I missed my exercise time, ds is very overtired and will only nap on me... eek. Wish we had family close by at times like this.

Happy birthday lalala, i just had DS at 33. But 32 was a great year... I've also been with DH for a long time (since I was 18.. married for 8 years, together for 15). We've been through college, grad school together, moved to another country, and finally had a child. We feel pretty settled, too, though only just starting on our family... aha, after last night I may be thinking that we'll just have the one kiddo!

Hope to get some exercise in today as I am already losing the will to live.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#90 of 1055 Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Terrible night with ds... 3 hours very broken sleep following a few days of terrible sleep. I feel as though Im losing my mind this morning. Added to that I missed my exercise time, ds is very overtired and will only nap on me... eek. Wish we had family close by at times like this.
This too will pass, right? We had lots of those days when we had dd1 (at age 27 and 30). One day at at time. Just get through the day and tomorrow is a fresh start. Luckily with only one kid, if ds naps today then you get to nap.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page