Mothering Forum banner

Dingos Run for Turkey and Pie! November Running Mamas Thread

24K views 1K replies 46 participants last post by  Plady 
#1 ·
Happy November Dingos and Dingos-To-Be!

"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, DrJen will probably post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."

See less See more
#277 ·
Hi Mommas,

Jen Love, you always have some info on your posts that I didn't know about lol. That's awesome.

Loftmama, I am so jealous of your land. yes you must build a trail asap. I grew up trail running/riding/hiking and I miss it so much in my life. And to have a trail of your own oh that is bliss.

Towson, I hope you feel better soon, it is hard to have to wait when you want to be out there.

Jo, ugh, sorry.

TJs Mama, yay for the sleep, hope today is productive and then you have some time to goof off after you study.

Kerc, we have an alleykat I don't know if it is a schwinn or what. It is OK to attach and unattach. we got it from a lady that was selling it, for cheap so we are pretty cool with whatever annoyances it has.

BBrandonsmom, I have a garmin which I love, but before that I used to hop on my bike which has a distance/spedometer thingy and would map out the running route to get accurate mileage. Also the gmap thing is pretty cool where you map it out on the computer.

Nicolaberry, our metabolisms and biochemistries are all different. I say give your body what it needs to operate most effectively. It isn't being a wuss, it's smart! Yay for the awesome run. That mocha thing sounds awesome too. I need one of those for breakfast.

I talked briefly with Cherylann on ravelry recently, she is recovering from knee surgery and can't run for a while
but is busy being an amazing, talented superwoman anyway.

I got out for a blissful 3 miler this morning. It is 70 degrees, sunny and humid. So incredibly gorgeous. I ran with my ipod, sans kid, jogger, or dog and it was amazing. I got to run my regular route, but got to run along the edge of the road, on the grass the way I love it. I never get to do that when I am running with my entourage. It is the little things that make it so great isn't it

My medium little dingo has the puking sickness now. wah wah wah. She is crashed out on the couch and I am washing a night's worth of puked upon bedding. I had to work an extra shift yesterday for another doctor who is out sick. Lots of germs around everywhere and hopefully when I get it (I am too realistic to use "if" haha) it won't be a heavy case. But, I say get it all over with now instead of on our trip to Australia in December.

I get to go on a date with my oldest daughter to a bookstore today. I can't wait.

OK, have an amazing rest of the weekend you guys, hope you all have as good of a run as I did today!

ND

#278 ·
jo - I wish I could come give you a
and some
and some yummy organic
. What is it about this time of year with him?

Gigi -that sleep study doesn't sound like they had very much "sleep" to study.

lofty - I thought you were talking about me for a second, "she has thick glasses and she falls all the time".

ND - way too many bodily fluids happening in your house lately.
And,
OF COURSE you're going on a trip to Australia, that's where the dingos are, after all.

rr: ran a last minute half marathon today. My half last month felt so awful that it left me totally down on running and I've hardly run at all since. I think my longest run since then was, lilke 8.5 miles. I PRed by only :21 (1:48:53) but I felt a million times better today. At mile 3 we ran by the veterans cemetary where my Gramps is buried and, I swear, as soon as I saw it my legs felt so much lighter and I felt like he was with me, helping to carry me along for the rest of the race. It was such an amazing feeling. I didn't know we were going to pass by it so it caught me by surprise and I was pretty teary and choked up for awhile (he just passed away earlier this year), so I had to really concentrate on being able to breathe which was quite the challenge for a mile or two. It was a fantastic race that I almost didn't go to, but now I'm really glad I did. Cheers
Gramps, this one was for you!

#279 ·
CFG - What a great tribute to your grandpa! I'm so glad you felt like you got to run with him. And what a SMOKING fast time!

sadly, no running today for me. Blech, hoping to feel better tomorrow. Hoping to swim while everyone is occupied in their various classes/activities/school.

#280 ·
Hey ladies! I need some help
I have not been running much.... err at all... this last month. The last time I ran was the day after my m/c and I feel like its tainted running for me. Any tips on how to get myself motivated again? I was supposed to do a 5K at the end of this month and am now thinking I need to back out, but part of me really wants to get back on the wagon... Help for a lost running soul??

#282 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
rr: ran a last minute half marathon today. My half last month felt so awful that it left me totally down on running and I've hardly run at all since. I think my longest run since then was, lilke 8.5 miles. I PRed by only :21 (1:48:53) but I felt a million times better today. At mile 3 we ran by the veterans cemetary where my Gramps is buried and, I swear, as soon as I saw it my legs felt so much lighter and I felt like he was with me, helping to carry me along for the rest of the race. It was such an amazing feeling. I didn't know we were going to pass by it so it caught me by surprise and I was pretty teary and choked up for awhile (he just passed away earlier this year), so I had to really concentrate on being able to breathe which was quite the challenge for a mile or two. It was a fantastic race that I almost didn't go to, but now I'm really glad I did. Cheers
Gramps, this one was for you!
great story

#284 ·
to all the new dingos! You are some of the luckiest women around to have found your way here.

Gaye, your marathon is shaping up to be a party! Enjoy every second of it, including the training. Your favorite spin instructor and time alone this weekend is a good start.

Jenlove,
It's no fun to be homesick. On the bright side, there is no vomit to clean up from that illness.

Nick, enjoy the party your half marathon is going to be. I really enjoy having others I know in the race. It gives me someone to talk to after the race who might be interested in a play by play. It sounds like you had some great runs this weekend. I had to do the same thing nutrition-wise. I am the only one that does in our little group but I need it. One woman doesn't even eat before long (15 miles+) runs. I obsessively get up 2 hours before a run to eat, then fuel right before with a banana or gu, and then again during the run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Nic - I'm jealous, I have a boatloadt of stuff to take to Goodwill but I have to go off island to do it. The thrift store here won't take toys and I also don't want the girls to see their stuff in circulation if we go in to shop.
I went to Goodwill to get throw away clothes for the marathon and got all distracted looking at my kids old clothes.
There was one outfit that just had to have been Charlotte's.

memiles, now you know why it is called the dreadmill by many at some point or another. I hope you are all better soon given that you have identified a cause.

Geo, you description of your rp makes me smile as I know someone here that fits that exact description, Biggest Loser and all.

kerc, I am with you on the winter but for me the reason is that it keeps the number of bugs I have to live with down.

welcome bbrandonsmom,
I run early like 5am in order to find time. It really jump starts my day and works for me overall. I alternate running and weightlifting for the most part rather than do two workouts a day. My main reason is gym opening time and its proximity to the time at which I need to wake dd1 to face the day. I use a treadmill or a garmin. I love to check all the data it can give me but I'm like that.
I also have a couple of paths I just know the distance for either because I mapped or drove it or because the trail is marked.

Nice finish JayGee! You are back in the game.

Cath, sorry the sleep study was so awful. While I want all to be well I hope it was worth it in order to rule out some problems.

:towsonmama, I do wonder how you are healing. Keep us posted.

Jo, I read your rant and wondered why just Oct to April? Why does he behave better the rest of the year? And Hey! Six months is half time. Your dh had better get his
in gear before a bunch of angry dingos show up to put him in his place.

Still reading and catching up. I'll include my race report in my next post.

#285 ·
lofty, I think having your own trail sounds incredible! A bit of work to get going but still
. As to weird soreness, my right shoulder gets sore when I race.

kerc, I missed your post/question about bike trailers. Gaye surely knows the answer whatever it was.

CFG, We should run together! You could drag me along and we could both aim to break 1:48 together. It sounds like a heartfelt race. i am impresed you were able to do that on the spur of the moment.

ND, Soon, soon. All will be well at your house and there will be no more :vomit.

Lisa, I thought about you today while I ran. I hope you are running pain free soon. It sounds like you are staying active and using the time to play with your boys. I am sending some love right back to you.

Well, I ran the half. I didn't feel quite ready so soon and I set a goal of 1:50, pie in the sky goal of 1:48. I missed it with 1:51:00.3 but I did try. I went out way to fast (7:07) and took until mile 5 to get up to 8 min miles. As you can see by my finish time I did eventually slow down.
Mile 11 and 12 bordered on 9 min miles. It was hard, it hurt, I almost stopped and called for a ride at mile 4. The last 5 miles were uphill into the wind. I couldn't see the finish line until the very end and we almost had to u-turn to get to it. The streets in Indianapolis are so beat up it was almost like trail running compared to Columbus, OH. I wish I was more upbeat about it all. I am having odd feelings of being taken advantage of and not understanding some things one of the other ladies I run with said this weekend. I should have asked her to clarify but instead it is simmering under my skin making me feel bad.
I drove home calling old friends. I figured they had known me long enough to know who I am in good times and bad and would tell me if I was way off base. Unfortunately I didn't get a hold of anybody so I still don't know.

I heard a on a radio ad that the town I live in was voted the midwest's most beautiful small town or some such foolishness. Come visit and we'll run.

#286 ·
Mommajb, that is an AWESOME time. I'm sorry you were disappointed but it sounds great to me, and congrats!

I have had a terrible day kid-wise, but am proud of my ability to not lose my mama-sh!t too badly as I am prone to do. Our neighbors had a super loud party til 3:30 a.m.
which is atypical for them, and we all slept badly. dh is out of town and my mom was here, which was fun for a while and then began to create additional stress, if you know what I mean. She's usually awesome with the kids but M started tantrum-ing and she was all "let's talk it out!" and that does not work with M when she gets going.

I am going to try to get in 9 miles tomorrow morning....my ankle has been sore for a few days and I really need to get this in if I want to have a chance of running the the half in a few weeks (gulp!). still not sure how it's going to go, but mama *really* needs a run.

OH I almost forgot! does anybody want a Garmin 101, cheap? My new phone has a garmin-like gadget on it that I've been using instead. I got the Garmin for $50 a few months ago and if anybody wants it, PM me or FB me and let me know what you can pay, whatever is fine. It's the bigger one and is no frills, but has the GPS and works fine.

take care mamas!

#287 ·
mommajb, you are so fast! i, too, am impressed with your run! sorry about whatever was said. you know this is a good place to vent!

mamabeth, good luck on that 9 miles. take care of that ankle. i'm so inspired by all your consistency. i'm such an on-again/off-again runner - it seriously depends on comraderie.

no goat fence yet, just nesting boxes for the hens. it's all good.

#288 ·
mommajb ~ I've been eagerly awaiting your RR!!!! Those last 5 miles of the 1/2 kind of suck, don't they? I remember feeling like they went of for-ever when I ran the Monumental last year. Great race! And whatever those ladies in the group said to/about you, rest assured, they are way off base
!

lofty ~ I want your land! I read to DH what you wrote about clearing trail for running/biking/horses and he thought it sounded wonderful too. Glad you got the nesting boxes done.

I took both DDs to the playground and YMCA pool this afternoon while DH and DS went rock climbing at this huge indoor rock gym. DH and I are going to go on Friday night ~ it's a DATE

CFG ~ I love your 1/2 story from today too. What a lovely thought to have your grandfather's spirit lifting you through the end of the run

RM ~ sorry your knee is still giving you issues. I got the socks back yesterday. Glad they were useful in Kenya

#290 ·
Jo, Jen, Alex
sorry about your DHs.

ND, hope your dd is feeling better. Glad you got out for a nice run.

CFG, nice time! Loved the story, your Gramps was definitely with you

mommajb, nice time for you too! I'm sorry you're feeling taken advantage of and hurt. I'm sure whatever was said isn't true.

mamabeth, good luck with the 9 miles

rr: 5 crappy miles this morning. stomach cramps and my endurance is shot after not having run 5 in almost a month.

My DRs appt for the compartment test is tomorrow. I'm nervous. I hope I don't have compartment syndrome and need surgery. But if I don't, what causes my symptoms? My doctor's afraid it may have to do with my already injured back if it's not compartment syndrome. We'll see. At least I only have to work a half day on the bright side.

#291 ·
Thanks for the hugs mamas. I needed them. I am so glad I have you to vent to. It was a crappy AM and got worse, but the day is over, the kids are in bed and I am on my way there. I plan to disappear tomorrow, and I may or may not (read: won't) make it back until dinnertime. I am. Just. Done. But no need to go into stupid details...Just, Thank you.

CFG, I am glad you decided to run it.

And mommajb, holy fast. Whatever was said, I am sorry. I hope it's all OK, or more important, that you are all OK and able to feel some joy for your awesome performance.

lofty, nest boxes are indeed important. We (apparently) bought a new Boer buck today, Mr. Picante's successor. He is supercute, and now we are in the process of finding a good new home for Mr. P. I have a farm in mind...we have friends whose last buck died of old age. A good sign for Mr. P.
I will miss him, and I will definitely cry some tears, though. And I need a name for Mr. New. He's wild and crazy and is going to be a big, strong man someday. He's already peeing on himself and he's only a few months old.

mamabeth, my M is just like your M...I think they are the same age, too? Good luck doing 9. That seems SO LONG to me these days. And all the barefoot running...I still can't imagine.

#292 ·
Jo ~
Good luck with Mr. New.

Ash ~ I'll be thinking of you tomorrow for your Dr appointment.

Who's barefoot running? Ever thought of these - http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

mommajb ~ NICE time!!!

CFG ~ Great race report!

OceansEve ~ Don't think, just run. Love the good vibes afterwards.

I ran this evening.. and man these mountains kill me!!!! Pushing dd doesn't make it easier. I sure hope the flat lands are a piece of cake when I get home. Starting week 3 on Tuesday!

#293 ·
Yay, cfg and mommajb! Great races! You both are so speedy!

oceans~
and seconding the don't think, just run!

ash~Good luck with your appointment tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you!

Well, today was kind of a flop. I did get some of my homework done, but not nearly as much as I had hoped and I still haven't really started my essay. Tomorrow night's not going to be productive, either, since I have to get my CPR recertified so I can turn in my continuing education to renew my board certification.

And why was it not very productive, you may ask? Well, for once, it wasn't entirely my fault. X had his time completely wrong for his flight out, and informed me this morning that he would be dropping off DS right after lunch rather than at dinnertime.
Don't get me wrong, I love my kid and all, but that's half a day I got cheated out of. Sigh.

My legs are SORE, but in that good kind of way. Like I ran a race yesterday. Except I didn't. Well, not really.
I tried to take DS and the dog for a walk, but he insisted on riding his tricycle, and he's just not very good at it yet, so we only made it once around the block. I did, however, get motivated to do a few planks and some other abwork. I am determined this winter to work on my core strength. Of course, I'm pretty sure I said that last year and even got Mandy's awesome ab workout but never did it...

eta:
, Geo!!!!!

#294 ·
Ok a little confused here. First, do you guys track your runs or anything, besides here? Do you use a pc program or just write it on paper?
Also, after looking at that c25 program, I'm confused. You start out by time and gradually work to miles? If I ran for 20 minutes, I would definately have 1-2+ miles in there, so how does that work?
Ex, this morning I did a mile, w/ 2 30 sec walks in there and ended up doing the mile in 8 minutes, at a normal pace for me-not pushing. I have a long stride, so how do I slow myself down to working in the less milage in the allowed time? Or don't I? Do I just go along and see what is done in 20 min?

#295 ·
Ok, let me get this right. You took walk breaks, and still ran an 8 minute mile?!
Holy fastness, mama! Think of the C25k, after about week 3 as 2 different programs. You can either do it by distance, or you can do it by time. For me, by the time I was running 30 minutes, I realized that I was no where near 5k yet. It took me a couple more weeks to actually work up to 3.1 miles (I was around 38 minutes for that). You can certainly work your way up by distance, if you are just wanting to run 3.1 miles. But, if you want run for 30 minutes straight, then go by time. You may find, that when you run continuously, that it is easier to run a bit slower.

As far as tracking, I just keep track here and another message board, in my sig. I used to go to Daily Mile, but sort of fell off the wagon. Then, they started pestering me with emails, and I don't like that kind of pressure.

I have my tri class today. I might get to the pool a little later, depending on how I'm feeling. Going to play that one by ear.

#296 ·
Man, I totally lost track of everything over the weekend. I'm feeling a little stressed about money, although DH agreed to stick to a weekly allowance and stop dropping $10 or $15 on a whim every other day or so. When I'm stressed about something that seems outside of my control, I tend to compensate by getting super-controlling about other things. So I decluttered portions of my house that didn't necessarily need decluttering, and cleaned a bunch. Yesterday I raked leaves and pulled poison ivy for several hours, until I lost the light. I'm trying to work up the motivation to get out there again right now. It's so chilly, though.

Anyway, I've been running, which is good. I need to figure out a system to keep myself warm and keep my lungs from freezing. What does everyone run in when it gets cold? Today it was in the thirties and I was okay with pants and a couple of long-sleeved tee shirts and a hat, but I know bad things are coming. Favorite cold-weather gear, anyone?

Okay, I've got to get out into the yard before it's time to get DD from the kindergarten bus. I promised her a trip to the library today, which means we'll come home with a stack of fairy books to read this afternoon. Ack. I keep trying to steer her in the direction of something I find more interesting, but we keep coming back to the fairy books. And there are, like, a thousand of them. I keep telling myself to just be grateful my child loves books, even if the subject matter isn't my absolute favorite.

#297 ·
bbrandonsmom~Yeah, what bec said. Holy smokes, you're fast!
I'm a little OCD with my tracking, so I track here and on dailymile and using mapmyrun. They each have different features that I like.

lala~I have two different weights of running tights, insulated and non-insulated, and if it's cold enough, I'll wear a pair of yoga-type pants over that. For up top, usually a long sleeve tech shirt, a lightweight fleece, and an outer jacket (I have one the same material as my yoga-type pants, or I'll wear my cycling jacket if it's windy at all). For really cold temps, I'll add a base layer underneath the tech shirt. Gloves and a hat!

I think we're going to head to the Y for noon spin class, and follow that up with a trip to the grocery store. I need to find some baking time somewhere, too. Tomorrow is my day to be class helper, and DS has requested muffins (again) to take in for snack...

#298 ·
Lalala, try the "fairy realm" series by Emily Rodda, it is well written, with a lovely, strong girl character. She is a great author. That is what I pull out when I cant bear another moment of the weather/color/jewel/pet/holiday fairies

And then, once your dd has accepted this author as an awesome writer of great stories, you can read her the "Deltora Quest" series by the same author, if fantasy is your cup of tea.

ND

#299 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Who's barefoot running? Ever thought of these - http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Hi

I'm still new to running, I've been on a slow couch to 5K programme, and I am now running 5K with a 2 minute break for walking half way.

BUT, I have just started with the five fingers. And I rather enjoyed my first run with them. It took a bit of getting used to, but it felt good. And I did feel my calves after a day. I am going to have to tailor my route, as gravel is a serious no no.

Anyone else with vibram/barefoot running experiences to share?

#300 ·
It's pouring. I am trying to get to a place of being grateful for the treadmill. It's my friend, right?

#301 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
Okay, I've got to get out into the yard before it's time to get DD from the kindergarten bus. I promised her a trip to the library today, which means we'll come home with a stack of fairy books to read this afternoon. Ack. I keep trying to steer her in the direction of something I find more interesting, but we keep coming back to the fairy books. And there are, like, a thousand of them. I keep telling myself to just be grateful my child loves books, even if the subject matter isn't my absolute favorite.
yes yes yes. Fairy books are annoying. I think many of us here think so (ND, Geofizz, anyone else?). I think the issue is that the stories are not great for adults to read: predictable plot, connecting theme is fairy + jack frost. BUT I remind myself all the time: the story is developmentally appropriate for kindy/first/second graders. My MIL is a teacher and pointed this out to me --- these books are a nice set of chapter books to go to when your child can read him/herself. I wonder too how we'd feel about something like "spiderman books" or whatever would be the equivalent for boys.

I just embraced the books,when dd finished them she was done and now I am all done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
Ok a little confused here. First, do you guys track your runs or anything, besides here? Do you use a pc program or just write it on paper?
Also, after looking at that c25 program, I'm confused. You start out by time and gradually work to miles? If I ran for 20 minutes, I would definately have 1-2+ miles in there, so how does that work?
Ex, this morning I did a mile, w/ 2 30 sec walks in there and ended up doing the mile in 8 minutes, at a normal pace for me-not pushing. I have a long stride, so how do I slow myself down to working in the less milage in the allowed time? Or don't I? Do I just go along and see what is done in 20 min?
I track on paper + when I remember mapmyrun.com is where I track (but I don't often).

The point of c25k program is to get you out and moving. Don't worry about the mileage and just adapt where you're at -- when it switches to miles, then you can just do what it says or you can assume you can run farther than the 5 k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by memiles View Post
It's pouring. I am trying to get to a place of being grateful for the treadmill. It's my friend, right?

Yes. I don't have a spot in my house for one (basement ceiling is too low). I wish I had one about every other week. There are just times I need to get out and run, but can't because I have sleeping kids, or a sick dog, or whatever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.