Mothering Forum banner

Dingos Run for Turkey and Pie! November Running Mamas Thread

24K views 1K replies 46 participants last post by  Plady 
#1 ·
Happy November Dingos and Dingos-To-Be!

"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, DrJen will probably post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."

See less See more
#452 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
Rm - the grandbaby is coming so soon!

so i'm running on the treadmill today, watching a little GLEE...and i realized that all of my persistent pains are on my right side. more specifically, my right medial ankle, my knee (ITB) and now my right hip.

does anything think i might have a leg length discrepancy?

or...maybe it's just overall weakness on that side?

trying to decide if i want to navigate the insurance waters right now to see a chiro

I have these exact issues (well, in the past when I ran lots). I have a significant leg length difference - 3/4 inch. Nothing much helped...I was always throwing my si joint out. I tried heel inserts, several very expensive orthotics. Hope you find some relief from these issues.

#453 ·
Nemesis - I did the C25k with my 8 year old. She ran her first 5k on the 4th of July. I really only followed it loosely. I realized pretty early on, that her fitness level allowed her to progress pretty quickly. We still take walk breaks, though. I just let her listen to her body, and she can go for ages! She finished her race in 34:55, a pretty great time for her first 5k, and for being the youngest racer there!

My 3 kids had a friend over, and they played outside for nearly 5 hours!

I spent that time cleaning, decluttering, organizing and making my family room pretty spotless! I threw out 3 big garbage bags of junk, and put together a huge bin, a huge contractor bag, and a few other garbage bags worth of old toys to give away. They are currently in the garage for aging.
I feel so good having that room clean again. I intend to make that area into a classroom/study area. And, now I have a place to sort the Brownie Fall Product Sale stuff that will be coming into the house tomorrow!

#454 ·
Hey, thanks for all the Facebook friend invites. I feel
in a way I never felt when trying to make friends in middle school. You've all done a great deal toward fixing my Facebook hangups.

bec--sounds like a huge amount of cleaning! I love it when I get a space all cleared out; I just feel like I can breathe better.

nemesis--good luck getting your little one up to speed to race; what a great thing she's so enthusiastic about running already! My DD, who is five, always says she wants to run with me, but only a couple of times have I actually gotten her out on the road. Next summer, maybe. She tends to want to sprint for as long as she can sprint, though, then needs awhile to recover. We need to work on pacing, I think.

Nothing to report. We're up to eighty-five bags of leaves dumped, and it's beginning to look like we might actually have a lawn somewhere under there.

Ooh, heard dinner is almost ready.
Kids conned DH into making pancakes. Lucky for me.

#455 ·
poppy, all my problems are on my right side also. There is a leg length difference and I have a scoliosis. Like zubeldia I throw my si joint out some but my biggest problem is that my right hip stays tight.

The chiro does help me but I tend not to go until my range of motion is affected. (Think can't put my pants or shoes on without pain.) For me, it involved finding the right stretches and strengthening my core so that I wasn't so sloppy all the time. the chiro also wants me to carry babies in front not on my hips. I do manage to alternate hips but otherwise this is a habit that is hard to break.

Good job on the declutter bec.

I'm going to make a little cheat sheet.

#456 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
adding that I don't know how long I've been a part of the dingoes but maybe 5 years? wonderful, amazing women!
The MDC running group started 2/04 -- MamaSoleil, Shanti, and me. first posts

I love that in the last 5 years I have:
*Found the most amazing group of women on the planet
*Run 13 miles without stopping
*Learned to spell 'exercise'

Running again tonight with RP. Back to the fast pace.

#457 ·
Hey ladies...time for me to ask for some good vibes, positive thoughts, prayers, whathaveyou, again. My best friend found a lump in her breast this morning. She saw her doctor this afternoon, who is very optimistic that it's totally benign, but she's going in for an ultrasound and mammogram tomorrow morning.

#459 ·
Didn't run today. Ah well. Parent-teacher conferences were good. I have some pretty awesome kids.

poppy, I have one weak and tight butt muscle (right side) and most of my issues have been on the left. Especially the disc stuff. And I hope you gave SF a good kick for me. And a hug. I loved my time there. Of course, it was Dingo time. It really and truly was incredible and a great trip.

Hoping to squeeze in some kind of running before going to the goat farm tomorrow. We'll see...

#460 ·
poppy ~ all my problems are on the left. And boy did I eff it up over the weekend. I could barely walk today for the pain in my ankle, shin, fibula, knee, and hip on that side. New appointment with the sports med doc on Monday. Will this never end???????

Question for the PT/AT types ~ if it's ITBS, should it hurt ALL the time??? Because mine does

#461 ·
Here is mine-
I am Roxanne, stay at home mom to two daughters 5 yo and 17 mo. I have been a runner since middle school -many many years ago. I run for sanity-people wouldn't like me if I didn't run
I have run 2 marathons-and still want to do more-I haven't run once since I have kids-although I have done quite a few half marathons since. My dh is also a runner - so he is an awesome support system for me
We have had some of our best discussions running-we have planned our jobs, babies, house moves, dealt with miscarriage, death, family issues...all while training-its therapeutic

I have been a dingo since September 2005-wow-you ladies are awesome

#462 ·
Gaye--
for your friend

My intro: I'm Lisa, 35, married to DH for ten years. Like kerc and her husband, we both have Ph.Ds and both teach at local colleges (he is a psychologist and tenure-track, I'm a musicologist and mere part-time adjunct). We have one DD who turns 5 in a month, and a new baby on the way at the beginning of April (or, preferably, late March).

I started running almost nine years ago because I thought it would be cool to run the Bolder Boulder 10K. Why I thought it would be cool, I have no idea. I was never a runner or particularly athletic. At any rate, I discovered I loved running. I ran my first marathon in 2006 and have also done seven half-marathons (bagging my fastest time ever two weeks before I got pregnant!). Right now I'm on hiatus because being pregnant doesn't really agree with me (blame the hyperemesis), but I'm eagerly awaiting next spring so I can get out there again. Also, I'm proud to report that I have finally hit my pre-pregnancy weight this week and will hit 20 weeks on Saturday. The hyperemesis is still going strong, but at least I'm only looking at another twenty weeks of throwing up. (No, I'm not going overdue. Do not think such evil things!!!)

Kerc reminded me to join the Dingos last December after I defended my dissertation. I'd popped in briefly in 2006 to ask about marathon training while nursing my one-year-old, but I couldn't quite keep up then. They had awesome info though.

#463 ·
mommajb - your co-leader has obviously never met me, 'cuz I totally suck big-time at meeting my running goals. I can't even tell you how many times I attempted a sub-2 half before I finally did it. Maybe I'm just not so hot at picking appropriate goals. Yeah, that must be it.

p'seed - that is super cool that both you and DH are into running! I wish my DH was into taking care of himself in that way.

real - you're halfway there - how exciting!

After all these intros, does it seem like there's a disproportionate number of girl-only dinglet families?

rr: 10 miles. Trying to get my milage back up to 40 MPW. Somehow my legs feel less tired and sore running that than the 25 or so I've been doing the last few weeks. Weird.

#464 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
or...maybe it's just overall weakness on that side?

trying to decide if i want to navigate the insurance waters right now to see a chiro

The other day I decided to do single leg stuff for my lower body workout and I was really surprised to find that my right leg (which I always think of as dominant) was significantly weaker than my left. You could check just by doing some single leg squats.
Oh, and bummer about Austin. I'll still be in Mexico then.
Of course, you guys could do a victory lap south of the border, SMA is only 13 hours by car from Austin and a lot less if you fly! Hmm? Hmm?

Gaye -
to your friend.

Geo - Wow! How fun to look back on those old posts! There are some names there I haven't seen in years. I forget where I saw her all the time but I remember when Oatmeal was banned for mysterious reasons. Then after that we emailed a bit because she wanted to come to the B&B but never did. Blast from the past
And I used to cross paths with Piglet a lot. Fun.

Okay, I should be in bed already so nighty night mamas

#465 ·
I'm falling behind again but determined not to let it get worse, so I caught up on reading and here I am.

Hi! I'm Katherine, 33, FT WOHM to Emma Kate (6) and Griffin (18 mos, still nursing). Married 8.5 years to Chris who is a SAHD right now by choice. My degrees are in psychology and human development, and (but?) I'm a biostatistician for a large health care system and I also am an adjunct faculty member teaching stats to undergrad nursing students. I think I joined the Dingos 4 years ago. The first running I ever did was when I ran track in 7th grade. Then, the summer after 8th grade my sister conned me into training for the Peachtree Road Race. Later that summer, I was invited to join the cross country team but my mom was worried that starting high school would mean a jump in the academic difficulty (not true) so I declined. I wish I hadn't. I let running slide, did a little here and there during college and grad school for weight control. Summer of '05 when DD was approaching 2 I got back into it, lost about 40 lbs. and started running races. I ran a couple of half-marathons in 2006. Summer of '06 I had knee trouble and appendicitis (the appendicitis killed my marathon training), and my running was spotty over the next year. Summer of '07 I got pregnant with DS, had spotting/bleeding for the first 20 weeks and had to quit all exercise. I've started Couch to 5K more times than I can count since he was born, but I've had a hard time finding a consistent 3 days per week to run. Right now I'm 1 workout away from finishing week 3 which is significantly better than most of my recent attempts, so I have hope for this go around. I feel like I've about used up my running cred (does Dingo camping cred count?
) and I look forward to feeling like a real runner again. I suspect I'll be a much more active member of this thread when I finally hit that 3 mile run. This is an awesome group of women and the support I have received here through some difficult personal stuff means more to me than y'all will ever know.

Other things about me: I've been a handbell ringer most of my life, I sing in church choir, and I knit occasionally as time permits. I also used to cycle, including some commuting to work, and dream of the day I can make more time for that.

And now, if I'm going to be up in time to prep for my 10:00 meeting, I must go to bed. Nighty night!

#467 ·
thanks for all the intros, it's nice to get to know everyone a little better. What if we also shared our top three tips for running/training/exercising? Seems like one of the best parts of this group is sharing our collective knowledge. So for example, mine would be:
-for weight loss and training, don't expect overnight success. it took me about 8 months to lose 20 pounds while training very seriously.
-rest days are as important as training days
-for stressed-out, over-busy people, making time to exercise will help you organize your thoughts and get more done. even though it feels like you can't spare the hour for exercise, it pays you back.

Finally got back on my bike yesterday and went for a gentle one hour mountain bike ride. It had been almost two weeks since i did any kind of workout. Sunday I start training again. First up will be a lactic threshold test so i can get some heartrate data to work with for the next 12 weeks.

dh's car wouldn't start again this morning (which means dh is now once again in a terrible mood even though i gave him my car to use) and i have to go find a ride to work.

#469 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Friday ... early morning walk with my dog in the dark (with a headlamp). Good start to a rather dreary day.
That sounds lovely!!

Happy Friday the 13th Dingos!

I'm planning on a run at some point today. Probably after DH is home from work, so we can go as a whole family and take the dog (who really needs to get her energy out).

#470 ·
So, I was going to go to zumba, but the kids still have a cough, and I'm feeling pretty tired (Friday is usually a rest day for me).

I need to rearrange my schedule so I can get 2 days of zumba in!

Hmmm, fitness/running tips:

~ When starting to increase mileage (or just starting out) SLOW DOWN! You can go much farther, if you just run a little slower. Speed will come over time!

~ Make sure you have shoes that are fitted by an expert. Go to a specialty running shoe store and have them fit you.

~ Make sure you have a rest day in there. It's important for recovery!

#471 ·
Sending positive vibes to your friend, gaye/

I had good news and horrifying news about friends' pregnancies yesterday. My good friend and colleague lost her baby girl to still birth 3 years ago when she was almost term. Since then she's had two miscarriages and has had no luck becoming pregnant. but yesterday she called to say she was pregnant
It's very early days but I have to believe that she will give birth to a healthy little bambino. The same afternoon another friend, who was expecting a baby girl (around 23 weeks pregnant), texted to say she'd lost her baby girl. I cannot even imagine. I know some of you dingos have suffered losses and I cant even imagine the devastation. I had a scare with DS and it was easily the worst moment in my life.

Hopefully will get to exercise later when DH is home. Not very happy with him at the moment, so add him to the partners to auction off. After a terrible night's sleep I was up at 4am to get some work done.. work that I haven't been able to do because he's not stepping up. Ugh. Anyway, back to exercise... I hope to hit the gym for some cardio and a group power class to burn off some of this frustration.

I need a cheat sheet as I'm already forgetting whose name belongs to face book faces!
Alex

#472 ·
Can I just say how much I love mornings with DS? He's happy, sweet, and just a joy to be around...as opposed to the afternoon when he turns into a whiny, cranky nightmare. Add in that Sesame Street *finally* has new episodes (I was getting pretty darn sick of the same 5 that our PBS station kept repeating), and life is pretty good.

I was supposed to meet a friend for lunch, but she woke up with strep symptoms, so we rescheduled for next week, and now I get to go to my favorite spin/pilates class instead. And DS will get shipped off to his father this afternoon.
The day is shaping up to be ok so far!

#473 ·
Hopelessly behind but a FB addict here. A few of you have found me, but for the rest, I joined the Dingo group and my first name is Megan

#474 ·
I like the intro's!

I'm Tamara and I homeschool two children. Dd is 9 and ds is 7. I have been married to dh for 12 years. I'm 39!! I have been a gym rat for years. I taught some fitness classes for a few years (weights and pilates). I developed hypothyroid and took a year off. That's when I got into running. I was bored with gym classes and needed another direction to go in. I'm pretty crunchy, but don't dress like what people perceive crunchy people to be like I guess. I did a tri with CathToria this past summer and it was a blast! I'm totally looking forward to doing another one! I really need a good bike and that is on top of my wish list! I think I found the dingoes through Loftmama about 3 years ago. Wow, time flies!

I ran today!
Only 1 mile, but it was fun! Then I went straight to therapy. I had an appointment so I planned the run, just in case I was in pain. I actually was sweating today when he worked on me, even though it didn't really hurt as bad as usual.

Plady..I'm unequal on strength too. My left arm especially.

Jaygee..urghh..sorry! It's hard to not feel discouraged, but it will end! Get better soon!

#475 ·
Morning ladies.
I'm in the process of switching to a new computer tower. My old one was getting really slow and creaky and dh had one practically brand new just sitting around doing nothing. So far it does load things faster but all my bookmarks, address book, passwords didn't import like I thought they would from my old one so I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that. And everything looks different, I havent' figured out how to set the monitor display the way I'm used to it so fonts and sizes are all wacky. It's making me feel homesick for my old computer. Is that insane?
Gar. I really don't want to spend all day figuring this out but it looks like that's how it's going to go.
If any of y'all know how to save the address book from Thunderbird and the bookmarks from Firefox I'd love any tips.

#476 ·
Can you ladies help keep me sane today?

DH left with the van, the stroller, and my beloved Ergo. I do have a ring sling (which I never use because I can't get her in the thing without a temper tantrum) that I will have to attempt if my cabin fever keeps going up the way it is.

All is well. All is well. All is well. Monica, the affirmation goddess, I need you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.