Will ab exercises help at all? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that muscle is supposed to burn fat, but really how much? I've never noticed that strengthening helped me to lose weight.

Anyway, I have a lot of weight to lose, and I wondered if it's worth it to work on abs until a lot of it is already off. KWIM? There's a lot of weight around my waist, just not sure if ab exercises will pay off at all at this point.

What do you think?

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#2 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 12:12 PM

Strengthening work helps to make sure you're burning fat, rather than losing muscle. And you'll like how you look "underneath" as the fat comes off

Working your abs will also help protect you as you do other exercising - a strong core helps keep you from back strain and pulling other muscles!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#3 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM

I walked every day for an hour for about 2 years and I LOVED how my legs firmed up. I just decided yesterday that I'm going to do an ab workout every other day just to firm and tighten. I may not see those muscles yet, but I think it'll do a lot to improve how my midsection looks until I get to that point.
#4 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 04:36 PM

Weight lifting and strength training is the best thing I have ever done for my body. It helped me lose weight and it changed the was my body looked like nothing else. I highly recommend it. It has changed my metabolism too.
#5 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 06:59 PM

It's not that it directly burns fat. When you lift weights and build muscle (lifting heavy enough to build it that is, not pressing 5 pounds a hundred times), you raise your metabolism because while fat being a dead source of nothing, muscle requires constant energy to keep itself, therefore you can eat the same calories while still being in a calorie deficeit thus losing weight. Of course you need some fat on your body though. And muscle looks better and takes up less space in the body, so you look shapely and firm instead of looser and jiggly.

You're better off doing compound lifting exercises to target multiple bodyparts rather than trying to isolate your abs or arms. You lose fat all over, and it's good to build strong muscles full body so when the fat comes off you look shapely

If you have a lot of weight to lose, I'd suggest circuit style training where you do a set of weights, then plyometrics such as jump squats, and stick to core strengthening not just crunches
#6 of 9 Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM

I would keep working on your core, not just your abs. Although you may not visually see results right away, strengthening those muscles helps prevent injuries when you're exercising, or just going about your day to day activities.

I would add in more cardio though, in addition to the strength training. The only good results I've had with strength training was when it was combined with a good cardio routine as well.
#7 of 9 Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie;
You're better off doing compound lifting exercises to target multiple bodyparts rather than trying to isolate your abs or arms. You lose fat all over, and it's good to build strong muscles full body so when the fat comes off you look shapely
Agreed.

I believe that key to weight lose is eating right. We lose weight in the kitchen, we get fit in the gym.

A balanced approach of eating right and then exercising in a balanced way that provides a cardio benefit as well as strengthening exercises is ideal.

Ab work won't make the fat go away, but having a strong mid section will make you better no matter your weight, esp if it part of exercise that works on body alignment, such a yoga or pilates. When we stand up straight we all look better. The ability to stand up straight comes from having enough core strength to hold up our bodies. It sounds simple, but if you look around, most people aren't using their muscles to hold up their bodies. They are using their spines, which is one of the reasons so many people have back problems.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#8 of 9 Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post

This.
#9 of 9 Old 11-26-2009, 12:35 AM

Do Ashtanga yoga. Burn fat, build muscle, detox, strengthen your mind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page