December Dingos Run Through the Holidays! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ran a very cold 8 miles this morning in the dark. As I was coming home I think my across the street neighbor was leaving to run with another guy but who can tell under all the cold weather gear. They are young and buff but I am pretty sure I could keep up so I might see about not running alone at 'O dark-thirty'. I hope I have his email as it is too cold to go across the street today.

JayGee, maybe you could take up a collection from the cadets to cover your compartment testing? With 52 attending the party you could get a nice sum. Can they bring dates? They wouldn't want to look cheap in front of a date.

on the TM run Jo.

Plady, geese are not allowed in my home. Not living and not for Christmas dinner. They can be so mean (and poopy).

Ugh Nemesis for doing more babysitting than you want. I really prefer children to have their parents nearby under most circumstances.

HBM - Im glad you had fun teaching and got a good workout in.

Mamabeth, I hope you can still enjoyyour family holidays despite it being a busy season at home and work.

Nick, it is not wussing. Training is stressful sometimes and you don't need extra stress.

I layered up a lasagna this afternoon so dinner should be yummy. Do you think running in the cold burns more calories than running in the heat?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#302 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh mercy, Jaygee, good luck with the party. Eek. And have fun this evening.

nic, I really think that it's a wise, wise thing not to do the marathon if it's causing you to stress this early into it.

Nemesis, in your shoes I'd likely stuff envelopes in the evening rather than watch another kiddo. I am not the babysitting type AT ALL! I rarely did it growing up and since I was the youngest sibling/cousin/etc I didn't have much exposure. Still, I think it would be incredibly stressful to look after someone else's kiddo, especially when they're sick. Argh.

Jo, our dhs sound a lot alike... !!

Mommajb - are they buff AND good looking?! Good for you.. And I think that it has to be really cold for your body to use more energy/calories. I think I read about this in the context of cycling. Still, every calorie counts

DS is really sleeping so oddly. It's a bit of a nightmare lately. It takes me almost 2 hours to get him to sleep at night, and then from 1-3 am on he's on and off suckling. Ack. I missed my group power class this morning (5am) because I wanted ds to get more sleep and he won't really stay in bed very long when he realizes Im not there. Hopefully I'll get a row in later this evening.

Man, it's and windy out, and too slippery to take DS out in his carrier and too much ice and slush to take him in his stroller.. so I'm housebound. But I'm thinking about signing up for a half marathon! Don't think my legs will let me run more than 3 times a week. Anyone know of any good 3 day training programs. I can of course crosstrain

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#303 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM

Nemesis, a friend and I joke about not really liking kids...which is not really true, but I tend to be strict about the things I consider important (clearly this doesn't include bedtimes, clean rooms or the Simpsons). Cousins and close friends have similar household cultures and blend well; often, others don't and it gets rough.

Go for it, jb! The AM company could be great for your soul. And I don't know about cold-weather calories, but I can tell you it makes me eat pickled herring.
#304 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 PM

zubeldia, do you mean crosstrain or crosstrain ??
#305 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM
bec

I'm just imagining a goose in the bathroom, a goat in the dining room, and a 3.5 year old throwing her coat down...Sounds like a children's book in the making! We had a rough end of school for Abby today. Apparently, she wasn't done coloring her picture, but the teachers needed to clean up. The token green crayon she was allowed to keep wasn't good enough, and Abby was quite angry with her teacher (someone I've known for over 5 years now, and love her dearly!). I think she was tired and hungry, as she's been eating pretty consistently for 2 hours now.

Which also seems to be what I am mostly doing today! I was hoping that someone was going to come out with an awesome study that says exercising through the winter months burns 30% more calories than the summer. But, it seems, no such luck.

Nemesis - I have babysat for friends and neighbors on medium to long term bases before. it is draining and hard. I would set down some pretty firm guidelines about when the kid(s) are allowed to come over with illness. Fevers, vomiting, diarrhea all need to stay home! The only exception I make to these rules is when I KNOW my kids have had it first (like when the neighbor got H1N1 a few weeks after we had it, I didn't mind looking after her then). It's not fair to get your family sick. This is one of the things that comes with the territory of parenthood.

No running today. It's my one rest day. I'm looking at 3 tomorrow and 8 on Saturday. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the 8 outside. I'm getting tired of the treadmill and the indoor track!

JayGee - I would keep pestering the insurance company and appeal their decision. I would suggest that you make your gathering a potluck, but these are mostly college kids, right? You'd probably get 52 bags of chips.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#306 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 05:15 PM

bec, it does sound like a boynton book doesn't it?

My 13 yo when told to wear his winter coat first had to check weather.com to make sure it was below freezing before he would comply. s

I reconsidered the neighbor thing. I do not want to have to try talking to him for over an hour at a time on a regular basis.

#307 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
bec, it does sound like a boynton book doesn't it?
But not the hippopotamus!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#308 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#309 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

I know I am still missing dingos on facebook. If you see me will you please friend me. tjsmama's comment about Christmas cards made me realize this.

#310 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Too funny!

Okay, it's coming together pretty well. We actually are doing potluck for desserts and side dishes, so the cooking aspect isn't that horrible. I've made and frozen a bunch of lasagnas, DH ordered 150 wings from BuffaLouies, and I have a zillion appetizers ready to go into the oven. All that's left is to cut up veggies, make dip, and finish decorating the house (tablecloths, candles, fireplace ready, etc.) DH is taking tomorrow off (after his morning meetings ) and will help with lots of detail stuff. We are such a good team because he's a real detail guy and I'm a big picture person, so between us, it all gets covered .

Deep breaths....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#311 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Have a great night. I'm sure your guests appreciate your hospitality so much.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#312 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
or maybe she doesn't know the dingo lingo. Crosstrain is drjen's term, I believe.....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#313 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Hi ladies. I just wanted to let you guys know that I took a diabetes test (2 hr GTT fasting and at 2 hours), and I passed. I'm still plugging along and thinking about you ladies!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#314 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 07:07 PM

1 hour and 20 minutes on the indoor bike this afternoon. tempo intervals. it was actually a great workout, i had received the new issue of an endurance mountain bike magazine today, so was inspired and just thinking about the upcoming trip to AZ.

But now, now i need to pack up and head to our company holiday party. i loathe the holiday party. it's torture. not even free drinks. ugh. off to put on lipstick and get out of here.
#315 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
or maybe she doesn't know the dingo lingo. Crosstrain is drjen's term, I believe.....
LOL, oh my, this made me laugh!! I had no idea!

#316 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM

Of course you guys are right.. I will have to talk to the mom tonight.

Jo, you're so right.. I have a friend that has two rowdy boys and we all blend so well! I can watch her kids and she mine with minimal distraction from our regular days. This girl I am watching has a whole different household type, I think.

I am feeling bad because she is taking a lot of my attention, when the whole point is to be able to hang out with my kids...

I'm putting in some applications for part time work, and I'm just hoping that I can work p/t instead of taking care of her, not in addition to it.
#317 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM

hey guys, hope all is well. Not much new here still working crazy til the end of hte week, and we have fabulous snow on the ground. It is so gorgeous here!

OK off to work, I am jealous of all the good runs you are all getting in. Keep it up you awesome Mamas.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#318 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 PM

nic~I totally understand the long run stress. That's the thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on a full marathon for so long. Can you get your RP to commit to running at least half of the long run distance with you? I've only had company for my full long run probably twice, when I had a step-back week. Everything else was where I ran 4-6 alone first, and then met up with others.

jaygee~Holy smokes, that's a lot of people! Sounds like you have things under control, though. Wow. Why is your insurance company denying the testing? Can you have your ortho's office call and appeal? I think they'll get farther, faster, with appealing than you will, sad to say...

nemesis~

jo~ for tm love...can you send some my way?

zubeldia~I've pretty much done all my half-mary training on three running days a week. I've followed Hal Higdon's novice plan. It's really flexible. I only like to run 3 days a week when I'm also training for tris so that I can also get at least two days of biking and a swim day in. My typical schedule was to run shortish on Tuesday, track on Wednesday (usually 3-4 miles) sometimes followed by a bike ride, bike ride on Thursday, bike ride on Friday, long run on Saturday or Sunday with a swim on the day I didn't run (Monday off). This schedule got me through four half-marys and a half-ironman with no injuries. Does that help?

, Gigi!

Oh, my. Geese in bathtubs, goats on dining room tables, Jo's miscellaneous emu adventures...seriously, there's got to be a Boynton book in there.

I got my 9 in this morning. It was 11 degrees when I loaded the Chariot up. Poor DS was so bundled up, he couldn't move. I kept asking him if he was doing ok, and if he was warm enough, and he always said yes, so I kept going. I did the first 5 by myself and felt pretty good, but faded fast about a mile into the 4 with my friends. I ended up pretty much running by myself. I think the combo of the cold and having to push the stroller after running on the treadmill for a week just sapped all my energy. It didn't help that the alignment on the front wheel was off and it kept pulling to the left, so I was having to pull it back, which just killed my upper body. I survived it, though. Albeit with thoughts of how the ^&$( am I going to run double that this weekend and triple that in less than 6 weeks?!

I talked to the friend that I'm staying with in AZ last night. She's my SIL's best friend, which I know is kind of weird, but she went through a very similar situation (although no kids) with her XH as I did, and we bonded at SIL's wedding. She's soooo nice, but she tends to just want to rehash things over and over, and I really just didn't want to talk about that stuff anymore, ya know? I hope she doesn't do that the whole time I'm there next month! Hopefully we can find other topics to talk about. What's really cool, though, is that when I told her how many friends I'm going to have down there, she offered up her house for a post-marathon bash and said to invite everyone I know. Cool, huh? Of course, take a bunch of people who have just run a marathon and add beer, and it could be a very short party.

Soooo very tired. I'm taking a day off tomorrow, and I'm really hoping DS will let me sleep in just a little. Probably not, though. He's been up at 7 every day this week. I really just need to go to bed early, but that never seems to happen.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#319 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 PM

Thanks mamas for the kind words.

I just realized that I thought this weekends half was only $30 but it turns out I misread it and it is $60 for late entries.

That plus the gas makes it a no-go at least for this one. Not to mention Sunday is my girls' Chabad choir concert downtown to light the big menorah, and they have rehearsal in the middle of the day; if I take the van up to Tampa, dh has no way to get them there, and his car isn't very reliable. Guess the universe is saying NO WAY. Oh well. I'll either do 12 on my own or I'll just do 8 with RP and call it a week if I can't do the other 4 myself in addition. Sigh.

I have this image of doing another marathon as the epitome of running fitness, but the truth is consistent keeping in shape for a half is pretty good fitness. Right?!

Damn, I want that 26.2 magnet. That feeling of finishing the marathon almost 13 years ago was unbelievable.

Can you tell I'm conflicted?!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#320 of 915 Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Nic-I wouldn't take it as "no way", just "not this particular one right now". It'll happen!

Gaye-You totally win the bad-ass, hard core award and your little ds gets honorable mention. DUDE!

Today was a day without exercise and full of holiday baking, which is a very, very bad combination. Midway through the baking, littlest dd got very fussy and felt warm. She ended up having a 103.2 degree fever. Oldest dd's first chorus concert was tonight and I had to miss it to stay home with the sick little one. Dh went and tried to video the concert, but I'm bummed that I missed *really* seeing her.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#321 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Stomp your feet, clap your hands, everybody ready for a barnyard dance!

No run today. Call came in at 5 am that we had a mom in labor. First baby, bigger mom, one that we never really could get a good read on position or baby size. I got there at 6'ish, her doula said she felt pushy. I talked with her a bit, told her to follow her body's lead and push if she needed too. She didn't. The real midwives arrived , she still refused to push until someone checked her. Turns out she was completely dilated with the baby at +2 station....basically she was holding him in waiting for someone to convince her it was ok to push. I think she was in a bit of denial as she had planned for a long labor, and this was only about 4.5 hours from the first contraction. Half an hour later her 5'1 self was holding her 10 lb baby!

We then went straight back to the office and finished the clinic day. I'm feeling a bit like a zombie and wish I could crawl in my bed right now at 7.

And as for geese, you guys are freaking me out! I had a traumatic childhood goose experience that has really colored my feelings about those evil creatures. The fact that you welcomed one into your bathroom is WAY above and beyond in my opinion.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#322 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 AM

Ok, see I already can't keep up. Have decided to go w/ the half k training schedule, but also have under it a full m schedule and then I mark down what I did. So far so good. I'm following Jeff Gall, and Hal Hig-running M, T, W w/ long run on Sun, and pilates 4 days a week, but at least 10min yoga stretch after each run. I feel really good after that. I'm really proud of myself. I ran w/ my friend, who just did a half in Nov and she's back in training for another one. I ran 6 miles w/ her last Sunday, and don't think I would have done that w/o her. She made me keep my pace slow. This Sun I'm not running w/ her, so will hopefully do ok myself. I'm determined.
All week, it's been crappy running for me-lack of sleep does not equal good runs. I've finally started to get up at 4:30 to run too, and thought I dislike running in the dark, I take the big dog out w/ me and he's becoming a great partner. Getting a water belt Sat-I can't wait.
#323 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
And as for geese, you guys are freaking me out! I had a traumatic childhood goose experience that has really colored my feelings about those evil creatures. The fact that you welcomed one into your bathroom is WAY above and beyond in my opinion.
Well, except for the traumatic childhood experience. My IRL friends have heard me expound on my feelings for geese many, many times. Dirty, disgusting birds. There's an awesome playground I would love to take DS to, but it's overrun by geese and the poop completely grosses me out...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#324 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I have this image of doing another marathon as the epitome of running fitness, but the truth is consistent keeping in shape for a half is pretty good fitness. Right?!

Damn, I want that 26.2 magnet. That feeling of finishing the marathon almost 13 years ago was unbelievable.

Can you tell I'm conflicted?!
My general fitness goal is to be able to do a half whenever the urge takes me - so regular long runs of 10-15m, with a base of about 20-25m a week. IMO, for me, this is both doable and a really good level of fitness.

I share the 26.2 longing though! I think that from a good base, I can probably train up to it. So that's more motivation.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#325 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 AM

I agree Penelope.

I think RP and I agreed this morning to do the Sarasota Half Marathon on March 13.

For the moment I am deferring a full, so DrJ you can take down the Gasparilla marathon from the schedule.

Strong winds this a.m., but a nice 55 degrees. 3 slower miles (33:29).

Dh is giving me a *really* hard time about homeschooling. I am getting that he seems to be the only one who does not have confidence in my professional/intellectual abilities. Gah. I don't know if it will happen this year, but for next year, I am planning with the director of Chabad (wife of the Rabbi) to do a more formal style homeschooling for the Hebrew/religious subjects, at least in the mornings. I will probably do secular/English/math studies for my own kids myself, since I lean toward a classical model and I don't know that she does. (There are several other kids, the children of the rabbi as well as the children of another local Chabad rabbi, who 'homeschool' but they hire out teachers to do it rather than the kind of homeschooling MDC mamas tend toward). Maybe if we call it 'school' dh will get on board? I am pretty aggravated and not to be given the benefit of the doubt and the respect for my abilities I should have from him.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#326 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 09:57 AM

holiday card folks - you should have received the list via the same method you sent me your address. If that didn't happen, let me know please.

last nights holiday party - not nearly as painful as years past. actually, I had a good time. came home to a drunk DH who was very lovey-dovey for the first time in, hmmm, a year? i'm going to keep making him take the fish oil supplements, i did read that they're supposedly good for the libido.

heading to the gym for a weight workout this morning. then work. hooray for friday.
#327 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM

morning, dingoes,

Gaye, thank you so much, that really is helpful. I just looked up the program and it seems very doable (fingers crossed). Now I need to find a half! It's a 12 week program so maybe something in March.. if my legs and feet hold up I'd love to train for another half with more running but, for now, I', just hoping I can get through this.

Any March half suggestions? We're in Maine... Nic, I just noted you're planning on doing the Sarasota half. I'll check when spring break is next semester as Id seriously consider traveling. DH really needs to go somewhere warm to get through the Maine winters!

No running.. just logging more meters for the holiday rowing challenge. Half way there... 105km down - 95km to go Last night I rowed 8km. Intended to go longer but could hear the babe crying. This morning I rowed 12km.

#328 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 AM

memiles ~ whoa, that's quite the baby for such a short woman!

mandy ~ for frisky husbands and thanks for putting together the card exchange.

Nic ~ stepping down to the half sounds like a better plan. I'm sorry your DH is not on board with homeschooling. I'm not sure mine would be either though, so I have no good advice.

Penelope ~ what you describe (10-15 mi. long runs/20-25 mpw base) is exactly what I aspire to .

Plady ~ how's gander doing? You have certainly gone above and beyond. I am not fond of geese either .

The insurance problem I'm having is that the only doctor within 100 miles who does compartment testing is not on the Tricare list of preferred providers. If I could find a Tricare doc who performs the test, they'd cover it, but the closest one is somewhere in Ohio.

Everything is pretty much ready for the party. Just a few last minute decorating things to do, and DH is coming home from work early to clean the bathrooms ! Yep, he's the go-to guy for super clean bathrooms! Just looking forward to about 14 hours from now when it's all done.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#329 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 AM

I agree that a half on the urge really is a great level of fitness. And for a normal-bodied person in an average-to-pretty-busy life, it's pretty feasible. I love the way I feel when I am running almost exactly like that: 4-8mi 3 to 4 times weekly plus a LR in the 10+ range. I feel good and look my best when I'm in that range. I feel like I have not been there since moving to the farm, and I would like to get back to something resembling that over this winter.

TM and I have a date after barn chores again. It's -2. While I stood waiting for the bus, I realized that I do like running in this, properly dressed. I don't like the icy footing and my feet are such a mess that I don't think I could do yaktrax without getting a weird gait-related injury...but the cold is really just fine if you're dressed right.

bbrandons, I need more sleep when I am trying to run more, too. 9 hours is about perfect when I am running more than 20mi a week. I know that can be hard to achieve.

I was attacked by a dog on my last outdoor run--only not in the flesh-tearing sense, but rather, in the "I love you, you are delicious, where are you going, can I come, hey, throw this pinecone" way. She was sweet and for a moment I thought I'd love a doggy to run with.
#330 of 915 Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM

JayGee--Good luck with the party! I'm sure it will be fabulous, something the cadets will talk about for years.

grnmtnmama--I'm glad the party was better than you expected! I always used to have such a lousy time at parties with DH's friends and coworkers, so I lowered my standards to a ridiculous level. Now I find myself surprised more often, when the parties aren't completely horrible. I don't know if I have told you in the past that I love your tag line--I used to have "Who is John Galt?" on a bumper sticker on a previous car. That book changed my thinking in a lot of ways.

I shouldn't whine about the cold, when I know several of you are running in temps much below what it is here, but when I saw 23 degrees this morning, I just couldn't make myself do it. I did drag myself down to the exercise bike, though, which I hate. I'm hoping remembering how much I hate the bike will inspire me to get out there on the roads tomorrow. It's going to be a long winter.

This weekend will be busy; we're seeing a local production of The Nutcracker, which DD's dance teacher is performing in, plus we have a family holiday party, DH is working some overtime, and DD is attending her first ever school-friends birthday party. She is unbelievably thrilled and excited. I haven't heard this kid's name around the house, so I'm assuming the entire kindergarten class was invited. I'm looking forward to going to the place and lurking around for awhile to see how DD interacts with her classmates. Then maybe I'll get some shopping done. I have nothing so far for DH, and I'm beginning to feel stressed. Argh.

Oh, and hopefully I'll do some running or something, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page