December Dingos Run Through the Holidays! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2009, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Chanukah!!

I also would like to be at half fitness most of the time. I think I'm almost there, which is good considering full training begins soon. I have 10 on the schedule for tomorrow.

bec, my dog sounds similar to yours, she always starts too fast but can only run 3-4 miles and slows down to my pace well. I do enjoy running with her too.

Nick, I hope your DH comes around about the homeschooling.

Gaye, sorry you couldn't find anyone to run with you tomorrow . about X, that sucks and Good luck in your race this AM!!

mommajb, New Rules of Lifting for Women is working well for me so far, although the workouts in Stage 1 seem short to me but I know the stages add some more exercises, so we'll see.

Real, glad to hear everything is going well with your pregnancy. I hope you're getting some energy back too.

JayGee, your party sounds like it was a great success!!

zubledia, Sooooooo I think I may do that 20 miler, since I happen to have 20 miles scheduled for March 28th and it's not too far from me .... hmmmm definitely considering it.

rr: ran 4 miles this morning, I had a few drinks last night so I was sluggish and my feet felt like they weighed 50lbs each. It supposedly felt like 15 degrees out but I was wayyy overdressed and think it was a little warmer. But I got it done. Then headed to power yoga, which was a great class! Then I went to the gym, warmed up on the elliptical and lifted. I'm tired now!

Off to take my Nana to Target since she has no car, as she shouldn't be driving anymore and she wants to get out of the house. I'm she's wearing her hearing aids.

Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Took advantage of what is probably the end of this gorgeous cold snap. Did a sunny and clear 4.11 miles. It felt uber slow, but only a touch below my normal place and included some big hills and a few minutes of walking when my music stopped and I had to fiddle with my phone. Considering that I'm fighting a sore throat it felt amazingly good.

I wish I could get a picture of the steam rolling off of me when I finish and it's 25 degrees out there, I must look crazy!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Ash, They do get longer but I liked that the workouts were shortish and effective for me. I cannot maintain my concentration/interest in lifting over long sets so my form suffers. I also tend to lighter weights than I can do if it stretches out to long.

I've run the kids everywhere and have almost completed the reverse; Ian is still out for the afternoon. Linus is napping and I have doen the yoga and rolling I planned. I might even get another bit of time with the foam roller this evening. These are all good things.

On the other hand today's weather was perfect for December running weather and I fear the forecast: down to freezing with rain tonight, continued rain and up to 40F tomorrow. I really want to run 12 tomorrow. I was waiting to run it before signing up for a 10 mile race on New Years. The gym is open in the afternoon but I do not think I can do that on a TM. I have in the past but not lately. Maybe it will clear earlier than expected or the other ladies will cancel and I will run later than usual?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Anyone have the DVD of Spirit of the Marathon I could borrow to watch? We don't have Netflix, and my library doesn't have it. Please?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 12-12-2009, 06:18 PM
bec

Sounds like a good technique! Mine were quite yummy, but, really, looked more like hash browns (maybe that's ok?). Anyway, DH was happy (and it was his childhood food nostalgia that we were comparing against), the kids felt like they were connected to Nana, and started learning about their heritage a bit, and it was a nice evening.

RP and I took off for 8 miles. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into with my choice of where we were running. We went to a nearby forest preserve that is known to have hills. The problem is that, with the snow, the only thing that has packed them down are the snow mobiles. It was a tough, tough run, but it felt so good! I think just being outside for the first time in a couple of weeks made everything great! And, it was a serious, tough run! Made me want to do trail running!

Now, it's time to clean up, do some housecleaning before my mom comes to spend the night and babysit the kids, while DH and I go out to friend's annual holiday party. Christmanukah Kwanzadan! Fun times!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:22 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Anyone have the DVD of Spirit of the Marathon I could borrow to watch? We don't have Netflix, and my library doesn't have it. Please?
It's on Hulu!

Old 12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
bec

Serial posting as I've been thinking about this marathon training. What if I took the Novice mid week runs, but the intermediate level long runs? Would that be a good compromise and help me incorporate the tri training?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Bec, sure, why not? Worst thing would be, you'll try it and if it's too much, scale back to the Novice 2 plan. Right?

Okay, what the heck is hulu?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 12-12-2009, 06:38 PM
bec

hulu.com is a way to watch television through the internet. Search for Spirit of the Marathon, and you should find it on hulu.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks so much, all. I'll be back later with proper post, but, Bec, I've been searching for various programs that allow for other sports. While I'm planning for the half, I came across Galloway's schedule. I like that over 3 days it incorporates some speedwork - but does so pretty gently (on weeks that don't have long runs).

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
Old 12-12-2009, 06:47 PM

bec, in the end I did 6-8 miles on Tuesday and Thursday during the week and then the progressively longer long runs on the weekend to train for the marathon. It is what I could work into my schedule and kept me injury free. It isn't much of a plan but it is what it is.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:20 PM

Congrats on the party, Jaygee! You are an event planning wonder to do all that in your own home!

bec~I think that sounds like a pretty good plan. Like I mentioned before, I did the half (not full, I know) plan while training for tris, and I did Higdon's novice partially because it allowed for running only 3 days a week. Of those three days, one was always track, so speedwork. Which meant one shortish mid-week run, one day of speedwork mid-week, and one long run on the weekend.

Well, the race was fine. I won't say it was fantastic, but it was kind of fun, I guess. There were 5 of us from our group that runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays doing the race, so it was cool to have friends there. I ended up taking both my road bike and mountain bike, just in case, and I decided on the mountain bike, which I think was a good decision. The roads were totally clear in spots, but totally snow-packed in others, and by the end of the race, starting to get slushy. My friend who rode her road bike said it was totally fine, but she's also a lot faster than me, so I think the snow was still pretty hard-packed when she was out there. We started off with a four mile run. The first not-quite-two were along the road, so it was pretty easy to stay on clear pavement. I had to check myself and slow down a couple of times because I really didn't want to "race", but it was so easy to want to go with all the people who were flying by me. Just before the two mile mark, we turned off onto a dirt trail that was completely snow-covered. It wasn't too slippery, but it was just irregular and kind of tough to run on. I wished I had my yaktrax, but I wouldn't have wanted them for the road portion, so it was kind of a no-win on that front. I just took it slow, probably around 11:30 pace for that portion. I think I ended up with just under 11 minute pace for the run, which was a-ok with me. Transition was super-easy since I was on the MTB and didn't have to change shoes. I passed one of my friends with a road bike coming out of transition (since I didn't have bike shoes on and could actually run!) and waited for her to go flying by me. And waited. And waited. Eventually, she did, but it took over a mile, I think. Turns out that her cleats had gotten completely iced up by running through the snow in transition and she couldn't clip in! The bike was fairly uneventful, just kind of snowy and slushy in parts, as mentioned. I totally remembered why I never ride my mountain bike anymore. The last time I rode it was two years ago, in this same race series! I had forgotten that the shifters were kind of hosed and I couldn't use the top half of my gears. And I think the frame is actually too small for me, too, which I never noticed before. But, it worked. I definitely worked harder than I would have on my road bike, that's for sure! I got passed a lot, but I passed a few people, too, and the cool thing is that I just checked my ave. speed against this same race two years ago (which I also rode the MTB in) and it was over a mile per hour faster!

We all went out for lunch after the race, so that was fun, and now I'm back home, fresh out of the ice bath. I feel kind of lame, taking an ice bath after a sprint-distance duathlon, but my legs were working hard on that stupid MTB, and I need them to be in good shape for tomorrow! I fully intend to spend as much of the rest of the evening as possible with my legs up.

I found at least one friend to run with me tomorrow, and I think she's going to run the last four or five when I'm really going to need the company and cheerleading. There are a couple of other possibles, but I'm not holding out a huge amount of hope for them. My friend Sonja said she'd come out and run with me if she chickens out on doing the race she's planning on tomorrow (because she recently fired her coach and he's going to be there ). And the best news is that I think I have a friend to run 10 of my 20 in Ohio with! My good friend from here is going to be just an hour away from my parents' at her IL's and needed to check with her DH, but thought she would be able to come out to do that with me! She's awesome company, too, and will totally be able to keep me going

Ok, off to the shower before XH drops DS off...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 PM

Gaye, great RR! You almost make me want to try tri.

Nic, if hula doesn't do it for you, PM me for my Netflix password - it's an instant download.

Dragged the kids through Christmas shopping, then grocery shopping, but we're done with Christmas for them except for me (meaning they've picked out gifts for each other and their dad.) I want a new wallet, but nothing struck them. I get so exhausted herding them through stores - it's kind of miserable.

Still have grading to do. Sheesh.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM

Oh my gosh what a fantastic movie. I was jumping up and down yelling for Deena to win I had no idea what the results were before I watched it. Crying my eyes out at the end, I remember what that was like to cross that line. Indescribable.

Okay so now a marathon is definitely in my future in the next year or so, just not in two months.

I think the Flood has just been reenacted in the kids' bathroom. Later.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:16 PM

Ok, for those of you experienced in looong runs...at what point do you start fueling? It seems silly to start fueling at 2 or 4 miles. 6? 8? Do you fuel every mile, or every two?

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 PM

I'm probably not the person to ask, but on an 18 miler...I would recc begin fuel at 6 miles and fuel again at 12, and if needed again at 15. But I routinely do 13 with no fuel at all. I think the most I did without fuel was 15. But I also eat a ton the day before.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Ok, for those of you experienced in looong runs...at what point do you start fueling? It seems silly to start fueling at 2 or 4 miles. 6? 8? Do you fuel every mile, or every two?
Not a looooong run but on my 9 last week, I took two Gus with me but only used one and that was at about 3 miles because I hadn't eaten at all before so I figured I'd be better sooner than later. I was fine with 1 for that distance and just water. I'm doing the same for my 10 tomorrow. What do you use for fuel? For 18, I'd probably start at mile 4/5 and take every 4-5 miles, if that? Not sure but I thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I have zero experience with runs that long. But I eat all day long. So if I'm going out to ski for 2 hours then I'll fuel every 30 minutes. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll be out in the woods someplace, laying on the ground, helpless.

Sweet first family ski of the year. My kids were more excited than me.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 AM

For half-marathons, I usually start around 6-8 miles and fuel every 2 miles. My stomach can't handle a lot of calories at once, so I do sport beans or shok bloks (3 beans or 1-2 bloks at a time). If I do a gel, it goes straight through me and it is NOT pretty.

So should I stick with what I do for halfs, just continue it? Trying to figure out how much I need to take with me tomorrow...

Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 AM

So tomorrow is Saint Lucia's feast day, which we celebrate, and so far toward that end I have: made lussekatter (the Swedish buns), made ds a Starboy hat and wand, bought batteries for dd's "candle" crown, gotten the (very simple) gown out to iron, found the Starboy table runner, and photographed every version of Lucia we have in the house for my blog post tomorrow (two tree-toppers, several Christamas ornaments, two framed vintage textiles, a small candle holder, a little ceramic procession, and one tattoo.)

I think I like this.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 12-13-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
For half-marathons, I usually start around 6-8 miles and fuel every 2 miles. My stomach can't handle a lot of calories at once, so I do sport beans or shok bloks (3 beans or 1-2 bloks at a time). If I do a gel, it goes straight through me and it is NOT pretty.

So should I stick with what I do for halfs, just continue it? Trying to figure out how much I need to take with me tomorrow...
I would stick with it since you know it works. Hope you have a good run tomorrow morning!
Old 12-13-2009, 01:52 AM

JayGee--so glad the party went so well! I'm sure it was a great time.

Penelope--enjoy your St. Lucia festivities! We read about the day in one of the American Girl books and DD was intrigued, but I'm not quite ready to tackle another planned event this month.

Today was a good day; managed to get grocery shopping done, as well as pick a couple of things up at the toy story while my kids played obliviously nearby. This may be the last year I can do Christmas shopping in their presence.

This afternoon we got all dolled up to go to a local production of The Nutcracker. DD is five and just started ballet class this fall (after two years of begging to dance), and her ballet teacher appeared in this production. I didn't realize she'd be so good! She was the Snow Queen and the Arabian Dancer and a couple of other parts, and she was fantastic. DD was mesmerized, looking for her and at her. And every time another dancer danced a solo, DD huffed about why that part wasn't being played by her teacher.

DS enjoyed most of the show, too, although he decided to cuddle into my lap through some of the long dances in the second half. DH and I were thrilled to be able to go; we both love the music and seeing a live production. We were disappointed there weren't more little boys in the audience. Really, are parents SO afraid of what will happen if they expose their sons to ballet? Anyway.

I came home and went on Facebook to post something on my little (not so little anymore; she's 23) cousin's wall about The Nutcracker because she used to dance and we saw that show year after year when she was in middle school and high school and advanced through the parts. I found out that my cousin has set her privacy settings so her wall isn't visible to me.

My feelings are hurt. Really dumb, huh? But they are. I defriended her, which is petty, and she probably won't notice. If she does, I'll have to decide what to say that won't seem whiny or angry. Stupid social networking site.

I didn't run today but I did play Wii Fit, which informed me that I am still overweight. I think if I lose two more pounds, the game will stop taunting me. My kids get a kick out of it and like to choose the most horrific yoga poses for us to do. Tomorrow I might run, although I'd have to get up early, since DD has a birthday party at another of those bounce house places at 9:30. Eek! I'll enjoy watching her interact with her classmates there, though.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:56 AM

lala~I've been seriously contemplating taking DS to see the Nutcracker. Probably not this year, we don't have time, but maybe next. I think he would really like it. Sorry about your cousin.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:45 AM

tjsmama--I'd do what you did for your half. That's how I do all my longer runs--starting fuel sometime between 4-6 miles depending on how I feel, and then usually doing more every 3-4 miles.

Lalala--sorry to hear about that. FWIW, I know a lot of people who have pared down their friends or what they see on FB because it gets overwhelming. It's not usually personal, yk? (OTOH, one of the reasons I'm not on FB is because I don't want to deal with with all the drama of the friend/not friend that I keep hearing about from other people. )

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 12-13-2009, 03:10 AM

So many wise women here. Even if I can barely keep up, running or otherwise, it's wonderful to read what you have to say. I'm so grateful to know you all.

Nic, did you say you ran a marathon 13 years ago? If so, that's 26.2. 26.2 is the same today as it was then and I think that qualifies for a sticker!

I hear you about the dh/his idea part. I have to try to remember that sometimes, but I usually get irritated and blow it. Maybe you can agree to show him goals, regular progress and to regularly re-assess what you're doing. Not that you wouldn't do those things anyway, but sometimes just saying it out loud makes a difference, at least in our house. There were many families in Austin who homeschooled part-time and "contracted out" for lack of a better phrase specific subjects. As they get older, I see more and more of that. It's something else I keep in the back of my mind as a possibility. Good luck making the right decision. And just like the marathon, you can always change your mind.

Personally, I think being able to casually sign up for a 5K like it's a walk in the park is a very good state of fitness.

I am utterly exhausted, fried, spent. Last night the goat got out again and was running around the house trying to get through the door. He climbed on the table saw on the porch and thankfully did not go through the window. Not sure I'm ready for goats. to all of you who keep more than cats & dogs. I'm a bit overwhelmed and a lot underprepared.

But, we have two beautiful eggs now. And my superfat kitten is not pregnant. I've just been overfeeding her.

Tjsmama, loved your running report - and especially loved the title of your race. Can't stop smiling when I think of it!

I know there are so many more personals but after the 2 hours of catching up and I'm bone weary. Have a good night.

Oh and congrats on your successful party, JAYGEE!

Oh and hope you had a wonderful Hanukkah.(sp?) My kids were invited to participate in one last year and it was sooo special.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 12-13-2009, 03:17 AM

Gaye - definitely stick with what has worked for you in the past but maybe bring a bit more just in case you end up needing extra. I've noticed that the more long runs I do, the less I need to fuel, like my body is getting used to the distance and no longer needs as much extra to be able to handle it. Good luck!

OMG, I'm freaking out a little bit here. I've always slept with DD2 (6.5) because she's been too spooked to sleep alone. I haven't minded a bit because, frankly, she's a much better sleep companion than DH. Well, today she declared she's ready. Now, having kids has transformed me into the lightest sleeper on the planet and I really don't know how I'm going to be able to get any sleep with DH. He flops around constantly like a fish out of water, he snores loud enough for the neighbors to hear, and he's got this restless leg thing where he rubs his feet together all.night.long. I was seriously contemplating running to Ikea this afternoon to buy myself a bed. Wish me luck for a sleep-filled night.

rr: 8 miles on the TM. It has been raining cats and dogs here since yesterday and I just couldn't bring myself to willingly step out into a deluge. Rain isn't nearly as bad if it starts while you're already running, but to go out into it on purpose - no thanks, not today anyway.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 AM

CFG, I hear you on the sleep. I hope it wasn't as bad as you remember.

Gaye, fuel like you do for a half but bring an extra along in case you want it.

I am waiting for the rain to stop we I can run. I will run. I am dressed for it.

Penelope, have fun! Nobody brought out our Lucia gown, in an effort not to make the lussekatter rolls I made limpa bread so I suppose we'll make rolls this afternoon when they realize what I've done . Mommy of the season is not the award I'll get.

La4, i'm glad the ballet was enjoyable. My mom and I take each child when they turn 8. It is such a fun holiday tradition to get all dressed up and go to the matinee followed by a tearoonm. Well, ds1 didn't care much for the tearoom as part of the excitement but he did enjoy his treat. I wouldn't think twice about fb. She probably posted something controversial for a select group and didn't know how or modified her privacy settings because of the fb updates and didn't realize she was cutting you off. Let her know what you had to say and that you can't see her wall so she can fix it.

Loftmama, I am obviously bot cut out for your goat! that he stays outside!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:34 AM

Penelope ~ can you link me to your blog so I can see/read about your St. Lucia Day? My Dad's family is Swedish, so it's something I've considered adding to our already crazy Christmastime repertoire .

Gaye ~ good luck on your long run today . Fuel as you would in a half. You know it works. Great RR too. That sounds like a really fun Du! I am still lobbying DH for a move to CO ~ the racing there sounds fantastic!

lofty ~ your goat sounds a little disturbed! Glad kitty isn't pregnant. I'd think mine was too, except for the fact that he's a HE and he's been neutered . Fat, fat, fat!

CFG ~ hope your night's sleep was okay. I'm still shacked up with DD2, most nights myself.

I've got a sinus infection now, so no run yesterday. The pain behind my eyes was unbearable. It seems a little better today though, so I hope to get out for 5 miles or so this afternoon. Would a neti pot help for a sinus infection? I can breathe just fine, but the pressure in my sinuses is awful.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 AM

Kristina, I PM'd you.

I use a neti pot for sinus infections since I had some scary complications from antibiotics a few years ago. I'm a leeeetle phobic of antibiotics now and have thankfully not needed more. IME the neti pot really works.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
IME the neti pot really works.
It works for me, too. I had a few years with a sinus infection, and one bad experience with abx, too, but since I started with the neti pot (yea, and just better health overall) no new infections.

everyone!

I did 8 miles today! That's been my longest run since my hm in September. It was awesome.

Hmmm, after reading what La4 (mommajb, good idea on shortening that username!) said about Facebook... that's one of the reasons that I hesitate to let my 13 yo dd have an account. She is begging me, literally begging on a weekly basis for 4 months or so now. I worry about the pettiness and fickleness of teenage girls, hurt feelings, etc. more than being exposed to any real 'bad people'. I also wonder what kinds of things she'll hear from her cousins and their friends since they are all teenage boys. Any thoughts on this? Is 13 just too young yet?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids

User Tag List