December Dingos Run Through the Holidays! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
memile ~ oh that just sucks . I am also GF, although non-diagnosed. I just know I FEEL better, don't get my "wheat rash" and am a much nicer person all around when I don't eat wheat. My Mom doesn't "believe" it's a problem for me and she and my Dad are total "bread-a-holics". So I kind of know where you're coming from.

bec ~ glad the birthday party is done. Your DD sounds like a real sweetheart with the little boy who didn't want to participate .

I did a 60 minute spin class this morning and was drenched in sweat at the end. There were two Muslim girls in the class wearing long black pants, black long sleeved shirts and black headscarves/neck coverings. I can't imagine how hot it must have been for them.

Mamas, make me stop eating. Ever since this party, I've been non-stop. I got on the scale this morning and I've gained 7 pounds in 5 days . Yet here I am, eating leftover party food, again.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#422 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I was just about to go run, but... I just don't know if I can do it. The wind chill is -30F. Ugh. I just don't know what else to do now.. I don't have access to a treadmill.
I will figure out something else. Maybe the wind will die down by tonight.
Check out that bodyrock.tv girl. Those workouts look really good. I'm thinking about passing the link to my tkd instructor because that is the kind of stuff he has us do but I'm afraid all that cleavage will make it seem inappropriate.

Memiles - Could it be time to say to your family, "I love you guys but since you can't be bothered to make some accommodation for my family's dietary needs (NOT choices) we're going to have to skip out on some of the usual get-togethers. It's just stressing me out too much and making me resentful." I'm getting that you don't like to say no to people, no? but between babysitting the 'friend', giving away the placenta service, and providing gf snacks for your dd and the other kid at school it sounds like your maxing out your ability to give. Maybe it's time to rein it all in so you're not feeling so soul-sucked? Of course, I am Pot Stirrin' Penelope talking here so keep that in mind as I .

JayGee - Put down that canape! Three day old puff pastry is nasty anyway!

CFG - Good luck with the transition!

Bec - Yeah for one party down for another year!

So last night Chiara got super anxious and angry and said she was feeling sick to her stomach (which tends to be the outlet of choice for her body when she's stressing). We finally got her to pour out what was bugging her and she said she feels like "a little raccoon out in the cold when everyone else is all cozy inside" She feels like she's been getting left out a lot because I have to spend so much attention on Alison. She really wants more one on one time with me especially. I feel super bad because she's right, I am guilty as charged. So that's my new challenge, making sure we do more big girl stuff. I'm thinking that it will actually be easier when we're in Mexico since there won't be so much school in the way but any ideas you wise mamas have for things to do with 8 year olds I'll happily make a note of. And on a related bittersweet note, she confided in me about the little boy in her class who she likes and who likes her. He's adorable, she couldn't have picked a nicer boy but still, I'm not ready for this road. It's only second grade! Oy!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#423 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 PM

memiles, so sorry about the dietary stuff DH and I are both vegan and our families are slightly mocking. Shocking, is the fact that my mum is fairly good about accommodating us - though I do most of the food prep when we visit her! Most of my friends are pretty good and, frankly, it's easier for me to just take something along to avoid the resentment. It is diffcult when people don't extend the same courtesies that we might - especially family - and I know it hurts. I've been veggie for 23 years and my family still have issues with my diet.. especially since we're choosing to raise ds meat and dairy free.

Jaygee, ugh, so sorry you're fighting the food demon. Remember that your body is not a garbage can and the food is better off in the garbage if it's making you feel crappy. It won't be a waste, it will be wonderful self-care. Also, those pounds are almost for sure bloat. A few days binge free and I'm betting your weight goes down and is stable.

cfg, so glad the sleeping wasnt as bad as you feared. I'm amazed that I've become the light sleeper I am since DS arrived.

nemesis eek!

I don't know where to begin with the amazing support and advice. THANK YOU so much. It means a lot to have your empathy, mamas. The housekeeper is such a good idea.... even once every other week to clean the floors. I'd rather hire someone to clean than hire someone to look after ds so that *I* can clean I think even that will make life so much easier. The cooking issue is also something dh and I have been working on. He is definitely motivated to change - and he's been making an effort to be more involved but, wow, I asked him to put a little oil on his spuds before they went into the over and even that ended in a disaster but he will make an effort when prompted.

I think he's beginning to really get a sense of the disparity, though, and so I think we can get to a much better place. On a day to day basis I'm very contended but then something minor happens and I feel so enraged so I know that there is some pent up resentments.

For those of you have mentioned scheduling time outside sport/.... YES. I need that. Sport has been an outlet mostly because it's something tangible I can point to (I want 1 hour for a row/class/etc), and because dh is into the same sports he respects this time and probably thinks he's then owed the same time But I do need some down time aside from this.

DS was attached to my hip/boob from 4pm yesterday to 7am this morning. he is not a high needs babe, but he is a 5 month old little boy who likes to be snuggled. I think he's going through a lot of developmental stuff right now because he's very clingy and isn't loving being held by anyone but me or DH.

BUT, at 7am, just before dh left for work I did a quick 7km on the rower. I'm hoping to do something later as I havn't had a proper workout since last week.

Thanks again, mamas

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#424 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
but, wow, I asked him to put a little oil on his spuds before they went into the over and even that ended in a disaster but he will make an effort when prompted.

On a day to day basis I'm very contended but then something minor happens and I feel so enraged so I know that there is some pent up resentments.
Could you give him a gift certificate for a cooking class for Christmas? Somewhere there must be a home ec/cooking for dummies class he could take to get a handle on the basics.
Also, IIRC it was between 5-8 months postpartum that I felt really really fragile emotionally. It was like all the hype of being pregnant and having a newborn had died away and all the adrenaline of getting to know baby had worn off and I was left with just this hollowed out feeling of being overwhelmed. And I remember feeling RAGE toward dh, especially after dd1, any time he seemed to be getting an easier deal than I was. So, you may be getting into these waters too about now, there must be some hormonal element, right? But, it sounds very hopeful that your dh is willing to talk about it.

#425 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Memiles and Jooj, .

Boy, can I ever relate.

I am the only one in my family to keep kosher, which is a pretty intense restriction when eating out. And, to add to that, when I am nursing infants I go dairy and soy free as well (based on experiences of dd1 and dd2).

The familial response (my parents, that is) to the kosher thing is like, well, we'll do what *we* want to do kosher-style and that has to be good enough. . The thing is, it's really not *good enough.* We don't eat off non-kosher dishes, we rely on specific kosher certifications (any old one, or any K on a package, or just reading the ingredients isn't reliable enough). We don't eat on non-kosher dishes, despite my mother's new Bosch dishwasher. (my dad really loves seafood...the shellfish kind, which is decidely unkosher; my mom loves her patty melts -- all on their dishes).

Sigh.

I always wondered if it would be easier if I would just say we were vegetarian, or vegan, or gluten free or something. I bet in my family it would be as my dad is a doctor and my mom is a vitamins nut; I think the medical aspect would be easier to swallow (pun intended ) than the fact this is a spiritual commitment and one more intense than my parents ever had/have.

But I also remember, when G was so reactive to everything dairy even through my milk (which the nursing itself was of course an 'issue' -- just give her Nutramigen! ) it was he*l*l to get them to understand that meant a total non-dairy life, even minute dairy ingredients/machinery use, etc.

So I totally feel your pain and your aggravation they won't accommodate you! It seems like family should be more supportive, shouldn't it?! Somehow it's threatening to them -- I don't understand why, but it just seems to be, no matter what the background. Bleh.

My kids are off the wall because my mom is here for the week; I can't wait to move to homeschooling, this week will be bananas with three different holiday assemblies at NIGHT (I hate, hate, hate going out after 5 pm in the dark) and having to send "alternative" treats in with the girls all week so they can have something during all the parties going on (kosher).

I will be running every day except friday. early, long, and hard. Had a very fast, hard, sweaty 3.5 this morning with RP...in 35:45!!! Wow, smokin! And it was very foggy, like running through a cloud. I was soaked, but it felt fab.

Stay tuned...dh finally got his contract, with the changes we wanted, and we are waiting for all the signatures and he might actually start salaried employment next week

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#426 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM

Plady, you are very, very right. I have this cycle- I don't say no, I get resentful, I freak out about it, repeat. Not very healthy. You'll be proud to know that I did say no to DD's friend's mom this weekend. She was working, her daughter was home alone and bored so she texted me to see if C could come over. I looked around at my family, all cozy doing their own thing around the house and lied and said we had plans for the day. I said no, though. It's got to start somewhere!

Speaking of GF foods, DH somehow by some miracle created sugar cookies that hold their shape and don't taste gritty or weird. Maybe my memory is a little off but these taste like cookies to me! The only problem with this is that he made far too many. I'm on my second today already.

3 miles on the treadmill to report. I planned on 4 but as soon as I got on the machine, a mom from school that bugs the crap out of me got on the machine next to me. I've always been intimidated by her fitness so I cranked it up and burned myself out while trying to keep up with her pace. Rather than kill myself I did half an hour on the spin bike where I didn't have to feel like she was watching me. How pathetic is that?

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#427 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 PM

for all those with dietary restrictions and unsympathetic/understanding families. I am thankful that we don't have any dietary restrictions, but I try to be sensitive to friends who I know do.

bec~WTG on being so close to your goal! I really wish I had started sooner. And I SO get the OCD on the partial miles...I'm the girl who will run past my own home and around the corner just to get the even amount of miles that I'm trying to run.

nic~

I took DS to see Santa this morning with a friend and her DC. And promptly got the crap irritated out of me. The way they were running it was annoying (good in theory, tickets to come back at a certain time rather than wait in line), the fact that they wanted you to pick out their (ridiculously overpriced) package before you even saw Santa annoyed me, and then the guy taking the pictures didn't take DS's picture. He asked me if I was "all set" and, thinking he meant in regards to whether I had gotten a picture with my own camera and was done, I said yes. Turns out, he thought I meant I didn't want a picture taken. So we had to go back in and wait until the people after us were done with Santa to get the picture taken. And then, just to top it all off, the guy running the register was a complete yahoo, talking on his cell phone, messing around with the register tape, etc. Sigh. $17+tax for 2 crappy 3x5 pictures. I really wish I didn't feel like I have to do these things. I know I don't. I just feel like I do. [/rant]

In cheerier topics, we stopped off at the Y to drop off our angel tree gift, which was pretty darn awesome since I found a great deal at Costco. And dropped off some cookies for the childwatch workers, and our favorite was there, so I know she'll actually get some.

I'm getting stressed about the fact that we leave for Ohio in less than two days, and I have a ton of stuff to do and not nearly enough time to do it in. Admittedly, some of it is fun stuff, but still...it's fun stuff that keeps us out of the house so I can't do laundry and packing...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#428 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Memiles - Hey, there's no rule that says "plans" mean anything other than being happy at home with your family and just your family.

Gaye - I'm sorry about the santa thing, that sounds pretty cheerless. You know you don't have to do it, but really, you don't have to do it! If you have one picture of ds with Santa, that'll do. I remember the one time I sat on Santa's lap as a kid. We have a picture so I know it happened. Did I really only do it oncce? No idea, I just remember that one time and somewhere there's a photo to prove it. Anyway, if you do it every year ds will start comparing pictures and start noticing that Santa's not always the same guy and.... So, better quit while you're ahead!

#429 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 PM

Plady, you are coming through with all the best advice today!

Nic! I went somewhere today and totally forgot to mail your moolah. Tomorrow! I promise! So...do you eat on paper plates at your parents'?

JayGee, just throw it out or give it away. Then have some fruit and a big glass of water. And go to bed early. These are all the tactics I can think of. I felt so guilty about yesterday's behavior that I didn't have anything but two lattes before dinner today. And I ate so much yesterday that I wasn't hungry until dinner, either. Oh, and you can bet those two hijabis were dripping in their scarves.

Nemesis, I second Plady's suggestion to check out the bodyrock.tv girl. Well, her workouts, anyway. Once you get your vision back after the shock of the cleavage. I'd love to do these with the kids for our exercise parties, but no way.

Dh is already home from IL...and blowing snow in the yard. I had done a bunch of it before he got home, but nothing can keep him from the snowblower.

It was nice to have a cup of coffee with Reb. I hope to see her again later this week!

zubeldia, is a quick 7k on the rower sort of like your very short 6mi run?
#430 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Once you get your vision back after the shock of the cleavage. I'd love to do these with the kids for our exercise parties, but no way.
I was watching those videos last night and Alison climbed up on my lap and started watching. After a minute she pointed at the screen and said, "Nips!" with a big smile.

#431 of 915 Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 PM

I'm kind of scared to check out the bodyrock.tv videos! DH might get jealous . Plady, that is a riot .

Pies are in the trash. I went out to dinner with some friends tonight and ate a delicious salad, because after all that crap, a salad was exactly what my body was craving.

#432 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 01:27 AM
bec

I am donating most of my leftover popcorn from the party to my kids' classes! I'm proud of myself for that small victory.

Had my Tri class today. We were combining running laps on the indoor track with strength training. We had partners, and while our partner was doing some exercise on one of the machines, the other would run a lap. All told, I ran 2 miles (I had to run a few extra laps to make it complete miles)! So, that puts me at 7.4 for the day! I am tired now, though!

Nic - I have my fingers crossed that everything comes through for your husband!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#433 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
for all those with dietary restrictions and unsympathetic/understanding families. I am thankful that we don't have any dietary restrictions, but I try to be sensitive to friends who I know do.
Me too. So Nik if you and the gang come here, tell me and I'll get some paper plates that will work for you. Or I'd buy some new special to you plates. And the GF folks, well, we'll need to get ya'll a new cutting board. But we can make it work. And I've got a rockin' GF/dairy free/soy free meatball recipe (that we might even be able to make kosher).

TJSmama: we have never, ever "done" Santa's picture on the lap. Twice the girls have had the opportunity to share a bench with him. Neither time did they enjoy it so we just stopped and now we don't miss it.

Fingers crossed here for dr. nikolaberry. May he be able to take advantage of the holiday many of us will be celebrating on the 25th to make some actual cash.

Holiday program at dd1s school today. I am Christian, a very liberal Christian, but we do attend church and we do celebrate an American Christmas. I was seriously offended at the choice of songs for the kindy/first graders. I mean it is cute to see 40 kindergarteners sing Away in a Manger but really....inappropriate in a public school. Can't we do Frosty? Winter Wonderland?

Update on me:
  • I'm all done teaching for the semester. I've got a pile of papers to grade + a final to proctor for Friday.
  • I invited a maybe friend and her family (our kids are friends) to dinner tomorrow night. I'm *so* excited to try to connect with this family.
  • My dh just lost 6 of 21 credits he was scheduled for next semester. This four days after he turned down a class at a different university. So he emailed the woman who classed 4 days ago to offer him the job and tell them he might be interested. We anticipate him loosing more classes as they work out the schedule for the upcoming semester.
  • and finally majorly sad: a woman I don't know very well who is in my circle of mamas locally lost her 7 week old on Saturday, they think to SIDS.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#434 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 AM

Crossing my fingers, Nic!

After all the talk of the cleavage I was getting curious about this bodyrock thing. I couldn't remember the exact website so I just googled it, and um, the title of the link was 'The Workout Site You Je*k Off To". I'm afraid to click!
#435 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 AM

card swappers who haven't mailed yet - doctorjen just signed on, you'll find her address on the list.

yesterday was a rest day and a rough day for K behavior wise. they actually called dh and made him pick the kid up from his afterschool program. we also heard from dh's mum that dh had similar issues when he started school, had to see an educational psychologist and they moved him up a grade. sigh.

i should be downstairs on the trainer getting my workout over with, but I do kind of like to slip out of the office and work out in the afternoon at the gym. that's like a special treat. i think this week is a recovery week for me, short workouts. perfect for this impending cold snap.

kerc - that's crazy. Away in a Manger in school?

tjsmama - we catch santa every year at the park in our village. the rotary club brings him out and parents take their own photos if wanted. we've never seen a mall santa. have fun getting ready for your trip!
#436 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 10:51 AM

kerc, eek, that's a lot of credits. Hope your DH can pick them back up. Don't know what the adjunct pay is like where you are (im assuming that's what your DH's position is?) but it's horrifying at my college. It's worse than minimum wage when you consider the hours of prep and grading. My good friend is a tenured professor but her DH is an out of work professor (PhD from Berkeley, book under his belt, etc) and he has to work so many classes to even make a half decent wage. He's now mostly a SAHD.

So sad about the baby. I cannot even imagine it. I'm sitting here with raf asleep on me and feeling unbelievably grateful. Perspective is everything.

grnmtnmama, I don't know how you bike in cold temps! I became a wimp a couple of years ago. I have horrible Reynaulds and my fingers and toes just freeze. And sneaking to the gym sounds like a fine, fine idea

Just returned from a 4 mile run. I've been sneaking in 30 mins workout - sometimes a couple of times a day. Escaping upstairs doesn't do any good as I can hear DS and DH and there's never enough time to go anywhere. Still, a lovely rage fueled run...

Ticked off beyond reason with DH this morning. I'm sure the combo of hormones, preparing to return to work is not helping me to cope with what's happening. My therapist also retired yesterday so sad about that, too.. though thankfully I'll still see her

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#437 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Nic..hope dh gets his job!!

Ok..so I'm totally curious about bodyrock!!
#438 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 11:12 AM
bec

I went there last night, and got sucked into an infomercial about burning belly fat. I never actually got to see cleavage lady, and learned nothing about belly fat. I might brave the cleavage later!

So, I'm waffling on the amount of miles, but I will do somewhere between 3 and 5 miles today at the gym. I want to get it in before my legs realize how sore they are from last night!

I'm starting to get excited about finishing my 1000 miles so I can actually relax about mileage and not have that pressure of meeting this goal and enjoy running again. I think this goal has been great for me, and it has totally stepped up my running to a new level, but I am also looking forward to being able to commit to the tri training with my whole heart, rather than worry about whether the biking and swimming is going to get in the way of my running. I know, I should probably seek professional help. Gives new meaning to the term Sports Therapy, doesn't it?

Mandy - I hope you find something to make things easier for K. It just sounds like he is struggling so much. Poor little guy. My heart goes out to him.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#439 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Mandy ~ I'm sorry your DS had another rough day yesterday. I *think* the box that arrived for DH yesterday might contain a trainer for yours truly .

bec ~ WTG on your 1000 miles . I'm impressed!

Nic ~ I've got all my fingers crossed that your DH's job contract finally comes through. Your family has been through quite enough.

zub ~ you sound so stressed . Talk with your DH before your anger and frustration get the best of you.

kerc ~ Away in a Manger is lovely at my DD's Christian preschool. But, I'd be seriously put off by having the children sing it in the public school though. That's just insensitive.

I was supposed to go to Boot Camp this morning, but I seriously underestimated the time it would take to drop my older two at school (with DS's giant pioneer project), bring gifts for the Angel Tree to the upper primary school, and take DD2 to preschool. Plus, I left my shorts on the kitchen counter ! No workout this morning, but I'm leaving in a few minutes to knock out a ton of errands/shopping, by myself .

#440 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM

D, G & I all passed our first TKD test last night and got our first belt. Whoopee! I sure hope the next ones go faster, though, b/c I get so impatient and I like it so much. PLADY, our TKD is Songahm. What is yours?

Okay, that bodyrock.tv is something else! I was on high-speed yesterday briefly, so I checked it out. :bugeyes

memiles, that little "lie" is not a lie. I used to be in the same boat. Being a homeschooling mom and at home all the time, I was especially vulnerable to drop-in daycare. B/c I liked the socialization aspect for my kids, I encouraged it and for the most part, everyone was very conscious of the boundaries. Eventually, the same thing happened as with you and I finally realized I needed to say that my son "was busy" or we "had plans" even if it we just sat and looked at each other. Good luck! And it's possible that she knows in the back of her mind that she needs to find other options, but is too busy to think it through. Saying no and putting her in the position of having to look for an alternative could be doing her a favor. Sometimes we need a nudge, y'know?

Mandy, I sure wish it wasn't so hard. I guess it helps a bit to know that K comes by it naturally since his dad was the same. Not many schools in the states will move up a grade, as far as I know. Good luck.

I'm getting Christmas cards. I love them. No, I haven't started mine yet, except for in my head. I hope you'll be okay if you get yours after Christmas Day. I like to think that anytime during the 12 days of Christmas is still considered on time.

Goat is settling in but I've put notices around town for a free goat. The goat book mentioned trimming hooves and I just decided the timing isn't right for hoof-trimming, so maybe we'll work on the brush-clearing next year. Someone around here keeps goats and rents them out for clearing so I just need to find that person. In the meantime, I've still got old man pup hanging out at my house and I need to find him a home though I actually love the work of checking on animals and taking care of them each morning and evening. They don't talk back, y'know? It's quiet and peaceful work.

But, it makes going out of town hard. We hired a homeschool 16yo boy (who lives 1 mile away) to take care of our animals over Thanksgiving - 4 days. I paid him $15/day to play with the dog for at least an hour, etc. He refused to take the money. He came over afterward with the cash in the torn envelope. Said he'd be happy to do it again in the future but not for cash. What would you do? I feel like this little old lady when I catch myself thinking: such a nice boy. Do I send him something for Christmas? Homemade socks? haha. Oh he drives a hummer. He's like John Boy in a bright blue Hummer. I get whiplash from all the juxtapositions around here.

Oh and KERC speaking of "Away in a Manger" at school reminds me of another whiplash moment. Or maybe it was deer in the headlights which I also get often. We (Pineywoods homeschoolers) were Christmas caroling at the nursing home and I was really caught off guard when it morphed into an almost church-service. Not that there's anything wrong with it. But we went from "Joy to the World" to a couple of other songs straight from a church hymnal, like "Jesus, Jesus, Greatest name on earth" or something like that. Anyway, I keep getting the feeling that I've missed a memo.

Dr Nickarolaberry,

Mr (Dr?) Kerc... , and Good luck!

Jay Gee, yeah on trashing the pies and eating salad. Glad your party rocked!

1jooj, so nice that you got to see Reb. How is she?

That's all my foggy brain can think of. Off to check on the goat and chickens, make another latte, then pack to go out of town for one night. I'm very nervous about leaving the goat for the first time, but I really have to go.

No running yet. I've been asking around to find some moms who will run with me but I haven't found any yet. I just know if I could find someone I'll run for socialization and I have a hard time making myself go out solo.

Have a great day, y'all!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#441 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Nic--hooray for the job situation! I hope everything works out okay and it's smooth sailing from now on.

Mandy--I'm so sorry your DS is still having problems. It's so stressful not to be able to make things easier for your kids, especially when it comes to school.

kerc--I'm also sorry about your DH's job situation. I hope you'll be able to work out the credits so he's making the money you need.

All is well here. I hauled and stacked the entire cord of wood yesterday, so I'm a bit sore from that. DH actually noticed, though, when he got home, and went on and on about how great it was. And started a nice toasty fire in our woodstove. And cooked me dinner. Totally worth it, and I'm glad I don't have to think about doing it now, or tomorrow, or this weekend when it might be cold and miserable.

I couldn't drag myself out of bed in time to run this morning, so I rode the exercise bike instead, which I hate. Workout is better than no workout, though.
#442 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 01:32 PM

kerc, did you say anything about the song? I have similar issues and am beating myself up about not saying anything. I really don't like it. They didn't celebrate Halloween but had a harvest festival. Fine and good. Now, it is okay to bring religion into the public schools with 'O Holy Night' and more? I don't want to single my children out in any negative way. I know that within our 'secular' homeschool group some families shun us as we do not attend church. (They do however pray for our souls.) On the other hand Alice knows how I feel and sees me doing nothing about it. Big Sigh.

drjen, could you please add the Hangover Classic 10 mile race for Jan 1?

6 and a quarter miles at 8:38 pace this morning. 1117 for the year so far - I entertained 1200 as a goal for a bit before deciding to leave that for another year.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#443 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 05:30 PM

So very, very tired. I may try to sneak in a super quick nap before I have to go pick up DS from school. I've pretty much already decided that I don't need to shower since I'm going running again in just a few hours. No point, right?

I meant to get 9 in this morning, and then got out there and realized: a) it was cold and windy; b) my legs are still tired from Sunday; and c) I have to go back out and run probably at least 3 miles tonight. So, therefore, I only did 6. Pretty slowly, at that. I have a "Christmas lights" run with my track group tonight, followed by dinner, so I figure even though it's not a "workout", it's still miles and I'll just add it to today's total. This travel thing is just throwing my training for a loop this week. Tomorrow is a travel day=unscheduled off day and Saturday will be one as well. I think I'm actually going to do my long run on Friday and then make up the the 5 that I should be running tomorrow on Sunday. It's all getting confusing...as long as I get the miles in right?

Seriously...time to squeeze a short nap in, I think. I have so much laundry and packing and cleaning to do tonight when I get home from the run/dinner that I know I'm going to be up LATE.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#444 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 06:13 PM

hour long bike workout done. watched Nanny911 while riding and thankful that my kid is only problematic at school. Obviously we're doing it all right at home and they're screwing something up at school.

workout was good. today i booked flights to AZ for our upcoming bike "race". didn't book flights home yet. Maybe I wont come home. Nah, just that you don't need to book round trips these days and we'll come home on a different airline for a better schedule.

Gaye - hope you get your nap in. Do the best that you can with your schedule and don't beat yourself up if you have to miss a day here or there.
#445 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 PM

The freezing temps are gone now, replaced by 40 degrees and pouring rain. Can I have my clear and 20 back, pretty please?

Haven't had my workout today and am feeling blah because of it. I had it all planned out- drop the kids at school, head to the Y, 2 hours to myself, back to pick up Ellie. But NOOOOOOOO. Get to school, find out that they are short handed for the kinder party. Agree to stay, go to older daughter's classroom to help with their biography project but find out he has changed the schedule. Am asked by the 5th graders to go to the store for birthday cake so they can surprise their teacher (he didn't know they knew it was his birthday, I think they found out from another student with a mom on staff). Go buy the cake and card, meet up with dh to pass off his forgotten parking pass so he can go to the office to watch the 787 flight (FINALLY! They actually did it!). Back to school, drop off cake, go to K, man the bingo table. Back to 5th grade for biography scrapbooking. Pick up K, come home, make lunch. Talk myself out of eating more cookies and curse the friend who made us gluten free brownie bites.

Now I'm home, listening to the rain, stuck here with Ellie who keeps asking why she doesn't have any homework and trying to come up with projects to keep her busy. I WILL make it to the gym tonight but I don't know when or how.

Speaking of holiday songs, I just pulled out the lyrics to Ellie's songs to find out if I need to get riled up. She actually did a good job, even included one called "Celebrate" where individual kids have spoken solos that say "I celebrate (blank)". There are 4 slots, so I'm hoping they cover at least all the biggies. Extra credit will be given if she manages to work in Yule or Solstice.

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#446 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Wow, this site is amazing! At first it was hard to see past the cleavage but yes, she is doing some intense workouts I'm really inspired. I'd been thinking about joining my old gym in San Miguel but I'd rather not have to carve out the time to get there. These workouts might be perfect. Thanks for posting them!

!
Yeah, the cleavage is over the top but so are the work outs. I'm glad you like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
3mi on the tm and I spent some time learning the moves for insane Zuzana's fat exorcism workout. Holy wow. I think I'm in love. Thanks RM!
Aren't they great! A whopper of a work out in minimal time, both resitance and cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Mamas, make me stop eating. Ever since this party, I've been non-stop. I got on the scale this morning and I've gained 7 pounds in 5 days . Yet here I am, eating leftover party food, again.
I'm glad you were able to throw it away and get yourself a yummy salad! Just keep at it, I know how hard it is.

Did the work out on the bodyrock.tv for today and it's really great. I have no desire to return to running right now...I should, but it's a nice break.

Things are going well with the SD, just taking one day at a time. Her mom is trying to get her to call a new therapist on Thursday (who specialized in her disorders-bipolar, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, anxiety) so please keep your fingers crossed, prayers, good thoughts, etc. that it happens. Other than that she is doing okay here at the house and keeping her job so far (a week now).

Crappy email from my SIL, who won't friend me on FB either. I'm just moving on.

Okay, off to make some more chocolate covered snow peaks!!
#447 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 PM

Okay, so how pathetic is this...I think it's way cool that the a cappella group from my alma mater (B.A.) Tufts University is on the show Sing Off. The Beelzebubs have always been such a beloved part of Tufts life and we used to pack the chapel to hear them sing (like, standing in line for two hours). I nearly fell off the couch when they came on!

The funniest part is I usually really hate these shows and I just happened to turn it on and lie down without switching the channel. But this one I like...I really dig a cappella music.

No FM today. Now rushing to get dinner into everyone, dressed, and out to dd2's winter concert.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#448 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Okay, so how pathetic is this...I think it's way cool that the a cappella group from my alma mater (B.A.) Tufts University is on the show Sing Off. The Beelzebubs have always been such a beloved part of Tufts life and we used to pack the chapel to hear them sing (like, standing in line for two hours). I nearly fell off the couch when they came on!

The funniest part is I usually really hate these shows and I just happened to turn it on and lie down without switching the channel. But this one I like...I really dig a cappella music.

No FM today. Now rushing to get dinner into everyone, dressed, and out to dd2's winter concert.
Oh, you aren't getting any flack from me! I watched the show on purpose! I'm a total a capella geek, and I watch Glee to boot. Now you know the ugly truth.

I forgot to share my for the day. In the last 24 hours my DONA cert was approved (after 3 months of not hearing back I figured they were rejecting me ) AND I finished the certification process for the Placenta Encapsulation Specialist cert from PBi. It's actually sort of crazy that I'm so proud as I've been doing both things professionally forever, but both are great sources of referrals. Here's to hoping that the new year brings some paying clients...I let things dry up when I started my apprenticeship (and even turned away a bunch of doula births) but now things are at the desperate state as far as our need for my income.

#449 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 PM

I feel like I've been MIA a while here. My life is crazy. My job is crazier. I'm feeling overwhelmed and stressed much of the time. The potential new doc we interviewed twice officially turned us down this week, which was a big bummer. Her reason? Concern about the crime rate here. I live and practice in a town of 13,000 people, and while we have the occasional property crime or bar fight, there isn't much of a "crime rate." Sigh. We are interviewing another candidate Jan 5.

I haven't run in 2 weeks either. I was secretly harboring possibly still going to AZ in Jan to run the rock n roll half, but Justin's lego robotics team placed 2nd in their regional and qualified for state, which is that same weekend, so I can't go. I feel pretty unmotivated with nothing to train for, on top of being horribly busy, and just haven't been running. I have to start again because I feel like crap since I haven't been running.

On the plus side, my kids have been entertaining. As above, Justin's robotics team was second in their regional. They actually won the technical part of the regional by a whole bunch, but were second overall since some of the scoring is on their research project and some nebulous stuff like teamwork. They were very excited, and move on to state next month. Catherine had a choral concert and a band concert in the last week, and they were both fantastic. Caroline's church choir had their Christmas muscial on Sun, and she sang a solo, and was absolutely adorable. She has a very sweet baby voice, and can carry a tune wonderfully, and I was so proud of her singing in front of tons of people.

I have a client in labor right now. Poor mama is 39 + weeks and has a big stone in her right ureter. We are inducing her so she can have a stent placed in the ureter and get the stone lithotripsied next week. She was very nervous about being induced, as she has had 2 very nice spontaneous labors with her previous babies, but so far it is going well. She started some pit and and a couple hours later, her water broke on it's own, and she is in active labor now. She says to her surprise labor feels just like her other ones, so at least that's good. Tomorrow, she'll have a stent placed in her ureter, and hopefully she'll be fine to snuggle and nurse her baby in between all this kidney stone business.
#450 of 915 Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM

No FM here either. Was hoping to but too many stops in my errands today. And now my kids are making me want to run away. Gar.

Bright side is, dd's teacher doesn't need me in the classroom tomorrow. Which means I get to stay home and work out. Shh. Don't tell dh.

Friday I need to make dd's bday cake, then Fri night I have a tentative date with an old college friend, then Sat AM is dd's bday party. I better run while I can.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page