December Dingos Run Through the Holidays! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kerc, can you order online and have it sent directly rather than going to the mall and then mailing it?

No more dishes and lots on lansolin for the hands! Alice doesn't like to take lansinoh to school so I got her neutrogena norwegian formula hand cream and some burt's bees balm of a sort that she likes. Her hands bled by Halloween and she is on permanent laundry duty (not kitchen) because of it. Someday I will get a dishwasher....

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
kerc, can you order online and have it sent directly rather than going to the mall and then mailing it?

No more dishes and lots on lansolin for the hands! Alice doesn't like to take lansinoh to school so I got her neutrogena norwegian formula hand cream and some burt's bees balm of a sort that she likes. Her hands bled by Halloween and she is on permanent laundry duty (not kitchen) because of it. Someday I will get a dishwasher....

LOL. Yes, I might mail-order it. But I just realized I could go to IKEA without the children if I claim I'm doing xmas shopping while visiting my inlaws in Minneapolis/St Paul metro area. So maybe I'll mail order the MOA items and visit Ikea anyhow (evil laugh).

I wear rubber gloves when dishwashing. No more dish pan hands .... and cheaper than a dishwasher.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#483 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM

RR: 5 good miles on the treadmill, no IT band pain, hu-freakin-zah.

Household report: it's my first real, actual, legitimate day off since mid-August. The house is a disaster. I suggest four tasks (3 bathroom, one mudroom) and ask dh to choose; he defers to me. I take the biggest bathroom and the mudroom. Looking under the sink, I don't see anything to clean the floors, and ask if we're out of Murphy's Oil Soap. He has no idea. I ask what he typically uses to clean floors. He has no idea.

The man's been unemployed since the summer. He has not, in five months, scrubbed a floor. Sigh.

I'm so thrilled to be back running that I didn't even kvetch much.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#484 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 03:27 PM

kerc ~ ahhhh.... IKEA! What I would do for an IKEA. Enjoy your shopping trip .

The UPS store was the right choice. No line, shipping UPS was actually cheaper than USPS (they do both there and found me the best rates for all my packages), and they had a coloring book for DD2 to keep her occupied .

Penelope ~ which reminds me.... I need to mop today! When I met my DH he had NEVER mopped his kitchen floor. He'd spot clean it with a sponge, but that's it. Guh-ross. And this is Mr. Anal-Retentive-Super-Clean Man . I don't think men mop.

I made an appointment with the chiro for this afternoon. My calf/knee is so sore today and I'm having all kinds of weird hip/back/butt issues on the right side. Getting old sucks .

Off to mop!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#485 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
The man's been unemployed since the summer. He has not, in five months, scrubbed a floor. Sigh.
Are you sneaking around with MY husband? Snicker. My dh does occasionally break out the shark steam-mop, but it's been 1-2 times since he took over the job of chief household engineer (August or so).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#486 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Note to self: don't mess with the supplement schedule. I now realize what people mean by "fish oil burps".

Ewwww.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#487 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Penelope, my dh has also been unemployed since we got here and other than rinsing his dishes in the sink (sometimes), he has not vacuumed, swept, done laundry (not sure he even knows how the laundry machine works....I left his laundry in the basket in the closet for a while to see if he'd notice and all that happened was it got stinkier and the pile next to his side of the bed got taller ); he also has not changed any lightbulbs that need changing or anything. I'm about to brain him with the broom, I swear. Sigh.

ND, this is so funny. Feeling mighty crazy?

You're going to laugh but the truth is I cannot remember if I was Janet's big sister, although I do remember being Kelly's big sister, but that might have been a different year. My senior year I lived with Gina F. in the corner room (the one you had to walk through one room to get to another...a pain but the rooms were much bigger) -- Gina was in Australia our junior year.

I burst out laughing out loud at work when I read your message about the house and AOII connection, how small a world. You likely know me...I was the only one with a lot of dark curly hair, I had a terrible laugh in college (pledge name...Horseshack), was an IR major. If you find that tape of the Bubs with Rob singing Starry Night, I'll to you bigtime.

Okay, so this week of substitute teaching several first graders has made me realize I don't like teaching small children who are not my own. I love teaching university/upper high school, but I just do not have the patience for tiny kids with the fidgets. So, I will not be starting a small 'school' for my and the other Chabad (religious) kids next year. I'll be homeschooling or afterschooling my own thankyouverymuch.

How many miles are you supposed to have on running shoes before getting a new pair? Mine have about 300 on them. I don't feel anything twinging yet except I keep getting blisters on the ends of my toes (just above my toenails on the 'puffy' part). They don't actually hurt but they look totally nasty.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#488 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 04:01 PM
bec

Nic and ND - I'm loving the reunion!

Jo - That soooo sucks about HI! I have a very good girlfriend who is leaving tomorrow for 3 weeks in HI. She grew up there, so will stay with her family. Makes it much cheaper for her. I told her it was a good thing I loved her so much, or I'd really hate her now!

Dry hands - I was going to suggest the lansinoh. One thing I do for my legs and feet that get very dry during the winter, is to put baby oil on them right as I finish my shower, before I dry off. I follow it up with lotion. It seems to make a difference. Dry skin is no fun.

JayGee - I'm so glad you had a much better shipping experience this year! I got my stuff shipped out yesterday. It's like a huge weight has been lifted!

FMR: I had Zumba this morning. There were photographers in the class, taking pictures for the next catalogue. For some reason, this made the teacher work us extra hard! It was a very...um...energetic class! I also ran 4 miles, putting me at 29 miles to go to my goal!!! At the rate I'm going, it's going to be a nice, light week of running. I plan on taking several days off to recover from this big December push I've had on!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#489 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot...I use AmLactin on my feet in the winter when they get dry and bloody and cracked (well, they used to...before we moved south...now I get heat rash chafe in the summer instead ). You get it at CVS or someplace similar, it's not 'organic' but it really works.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#490 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 04:42 PM

I managed 3.4 on the tm which feels so lame but I just don't have much in terms of legs for that machine. It feels so much harder than outdoors. Anyway, I am also trying to get my speed to start to match up to my outdoor runs, which is slow going. I managed to get up to 5.6 mph today. *sigh*

If I salvage the energy later, I'll do some other exercises. But I have just some vacuuming to do and the house will be fairly ship-shape. Bread is waiting, too, and I threw some pumpkins in the oven to roast for a giant round of pumpkin bread. Not using the emu egg, though.

I scrubbed half my kitchen floor last night. Ick. I'm taking Murphy's Oil Soap into the downstairs bath next. And doing a drain volcano in there, too. Lots of icky jobs today...

#491 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
lansolin
Did I mean lansinoh or lanolin?

JayGee, I am so glad this year was better.

I love that you two knew each other once upon a time. I hope it was friendly.

I should be house cleaning. Dh isn't at all lately. He was less than thrilled when I signed up for a race on New Years and I flat out told him how I was feeling about his attitude lately. I don't think he noticed how serious I am about it.

ETA: the TM is much harder for me lately. Bravo for getting it done today!

ETA: JayGee There is an Ikea in Northern Cincinnati I have been known to visit.

#492 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM

We are on the plane. Phew! I needed every minute this morning. We left the house at noon sharp (goal time:12:00) but promptly had to turn back for something I forgot. I almost forgot to pack any tech shirts for running. I feel like I forgot something but I really hope not. Next stop: Cincinnati!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#493 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
nic, mommajb, jo... my dh is looking pretty good on the cleaning front compared to your fellas. Although the floor issue is an ongoing rift. I wonder what it is about men and women and floors.

Jo, dh always feels as though he goes MUCH slower on the dreadmill... I may try it out tomorrow at the gym - if I get there.

Yay, Gaye! Have a good trip. We took ds to Spain in October to see my parents and I learned that one doesnt travel light with a child...

awesome mileage, bec! Well done, you.

It's so cold here, and will be for the next week. It's not so much the temperatures, it's the high winds. I don't want to go out and run tomorrow as I'd planned. What a wimp!!

No exercise yet but I did get stuff done whilst DS was at the nanny's (who just quit.. me and friend need to find someone new asap). Hopefully a row tonight as DH's final class was just canceled.

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#494 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM

House looks great, smells even better. Bread, 3 kinds of pumpkin bread, banana bread. Me? I'm still in running clothes. So as you might imagine, I am not smelling as great as the house.
#495 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM

I swear, guys, I may never take fish oil again. What the hell? :Puke

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#496 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 PM

Aw, honey.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#497 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
I swear, guys, I may never take fish oil again. What the hell? :Puke
We take flavored stuff by Innate Choice. I take it either straight or in a smoothie.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#498 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
nic, mommajb, jo... my dh is looking pretty good on the cleaning front compared to your fellas. Although the floor issue is an ongoing rift. I wonder what it is about men and women and floors.
Dh makes as big a mess under the table as the 2 and 4 yo. When I told my mil all she could do was apologize and say she tried. I suppose I love him for his other qualities. Don't ask me what they are today. At least we don't have very much carpeting and the other three kids are a bit neater.

memiles I hope it all staying down better now.

Jo, would you like to come bake here? I will honor any and all dietary restriction though we may have to visit JayGee or tjsmama while she in OH to buy any specialty items. Dingo road trip!

Dh is giving a 7pm final and somebody always takes the full 3 hours.

#499 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Yes they are yummy!! THis is my second batch. The first time I tripled the recipe for cookie exchange and got so many rave reviews I'm doing them again for a different cookie exchange.

off to work out..
Where's that recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Which just sucks because we were hoping we could both rack up some points with the travel and be able to save some $$ on a family trip to N Africa next summer. It's OK, we'll work it all out, but it's disappointing.

OK, on with the day...
Mexico? Barbara Kingsolver? Warm and sunny?

Quote:
Quit washing dishes. Not really joking, though.
I have to always wear dishwashing gloves or my hands look like they've been burned, they look pretty bad regardless but dishwashing kills them.

Lofty - Congrats on y'all passing! I'm testing for low blue this evening. I should run through all my forms this afternoon while Alison is sleeping - now. We're HTF, whatever that means!

Memiles - to you for being out there today! Dang that rain was coming down hard! There are still groceries abandoned in my car because I thought it was too wet to go get them in after bring Alison in!

Kerc - How does that steam shark work? I have the little sweeper and I think it does a reasonably good job but I'm looking for an alternative to skating around on swiffer pads or microfiber cloths.

Nic and ND - That's so fun! I've been waiting to see how long before I find two of my friends from FB (or here) who know each other through other places. I guess this counts!

Jo - Chin up lady, dh came home from the gym the other day all puffed up like a peacock because he'd run 5.6 mph for 50 minutes, you just need fresh perspective

zub, Gaye - I'm beginning to get a little worried about packing for our trip. Our first flight we're not paying for checked luggage so basically we're heading off on a 2 month trip with only carry-on bags. We can do that, right?
I wish we didn't have to lug the carseat though, that's the real drag (literally probably!)

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#500 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Dh makes as big a mess under the table as the 2 and 4 yo. When I told my mil all she could do was apologize and say she tried. I suppose I love him for his other qualities. Don't ask me what they are today. At least we don't have very much carpeting and the other three kids are a bit neater.

Dh is giving a 7pm final and somebody always takes the full 3 hours.
I had no idea your dh was a professor (that explains the mess as I make a horrible mess when I prepare dinner and eat... follow the salad, my husband says! And 5 kids? Wait wait.. how on earth do you run?! I have trouble with one little one

Good luck, Plady! The carseat was a nightmare to lug around.. and his diaper bag alone took most of our onboard allowance!

memiles, I don't use fish oil as I'm vegan. Have you tried to algae pills? I use those and flaxseed/oil.

No exercise. Instead I took a bath with ds Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to the gym for group power, do a run, and then row! Ambitious.. if I get any of these things done I'll be happy, but keeping my options open so if the morning doesn't happen I can look forward to the evening.

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#501 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM

memiles, that sounds really awful. I know I should take fish oil, but I am a little bit afraid of fish burps. I get them bad enough after eating pickled herring.

Plady, maybe I need to manifest some Mexico.

The chai spice pumpkin bread with choc chips is too good...must...resist...

We get occasional, random visits from some guys "for the sake of Allah." They are kind of funny, long beard types who won't look me in the eye for more than a hundredth of a second. I wish, for the sake of me, that they would have eaten a little more pumpkin bread. A big loaf and a bundt loaf are so headed for the freezer. And for the record, I love being called Sister and calling all these guys Brother. Is that weird?

Tomorrow, I sort of hope to do a repeat of today, only with cooking instead of baking, and maybe some knitting. And a little better run.

Safe travels and happy visits, Gaye!
#502 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 10:31 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
And 5 kids? Wait wait.. how on earth do you run?!
It's cause she is amazing and: and we all her!

Quote:
And for the record, I love being called Sister and calling all these guys Brother. Is that weird?
Oooh, I wish I had just a bite of that chai bread!! And I love identifying with people, and feeling included in a special way, too. I get so jazzed when the teacher for the tri class calls us "team." I know, not the same level of connectedness, but, well, I get it.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#503 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 10:32 PM

I had to race to the computer after work to see if you updated Nicarolaberry.

So, LOL, you are my GRAND-Big Sister, Kelly is MY big sister. Oh that is too funny. It is alpha lovely haha.

OK gotta go put the girlies to bed. I love how people are brought together for some reason and then brought back together again. I just love it.

I was looking for some of my old composite photos but can't find them. My husband keeps laughing at me remembering the old times.

HAHA I am smiling Yay, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#504 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Is there an emoticon for being someone's grand little sister?

ND

#505 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo View Post
I had to race to the computer after work to see if you updated Nicarolaberry.

So, LOL, you are my GRAND-Big Sister, Kelly is MY big sister. Oh that is too funny. It is alpha lovely haha.

OK gotta go put the girlies to bed. I love how people are brought together for some reason and then brought back together again. I just love it.

I was looking for some of my old composite photos but can't find them. My husband keeps laughing at me remembering the old times.

HAHA I am smiling Yay, ND

Erika, I am laughing so hard I am crying. What a great week to be a Jumbo! (and hey, brown and blue is in style these days...)

Guess WHAT?! I found it! Beelzebubs "Fourteen" 1989 with "Vincent" (Starry Night)!!!

I actually think I am going to splurge and order it. I have to. Just have to.
Matt (dh) thinks I have gone over the edge. He is such a jock...never would come to Bubs concerts...

I still have my AOII sweatshirt with the floral applique and that grey Tufts sweatshirt with the big white letters...Champion size XL. Pathetic.

#506 of 915 Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 PM

That's so cool that you guys know each other! Did you actually ever meet each other?

plady - choc. covered snow peaks I picked up my supplies today and hope to make them soon. Thanks RM!

Man, I need a long, hard run in a bad way! This schedule change is kicking my butt. I should be able to squeeze in more TM time tomorrow since we still have some of that bribery cake left. The only good thing about this training of DH's is that he'll be off all next week - including Christmas. Usually he always works on holidays unless they happen to fall on his day off. I wonder how many miles I can safely run next week? I feel like I need ALOT to restore my sanity.
#507 of 915 Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:

We get occasional, random visits from some guys "for the sake of Allah." They are kind of funny, long beard types who won't look me in the eye for more than a hundredth of a second. I wish, for the sake of me, that they would have eaten a little more pumpkin bread. A big loaf and a bundt loaf are so headed for the freezer. And for the record, I love being called Sister and calling all these guys Brother. Is that weird?
This made me laugh. Dang visitors! Not eating enough pumpkin bread! Takes some nerve to come over and call you Sister and NOT EAT THE BREAD! Humph!

#508 of 915 Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 AM

Nicole, I tried to order from their site once and never heard back. LMK if you are able to order, because I really want that old album again.

I had too much going on internally during my college years, I feel like I didn't make the most of them in terms of my relationships and friendships. I have been thinking about that a lot recently and how it would be nice to be able to rekindle some things. And look, here you pop up in the middle of a group I love so well! I love how the universe blesses us with unexpected and lovely gifts

Erika

#509 of 915 Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 AM

at the nic/ND reunion. That's SO cool. Just another reason to the dingos!!!

nic~re: shoes. I typically wear mine to around 300 miles. I really start to notice the wear by then. In fact, I only have 250 on my current pair, but I brought a new pair with me on my trip because I was starting to notice the lack of cushioning during my 18 miler on Sunday and didn't want to run 20 next week in that same pair. When I get back home, I'll probably rotate the older pair back in for shorter runs, but keep the new pair for long runs. I've found that's a pretty good way to extend the life of the shoes for a little bit, at least.

jo~That pumpkin chai spice bread sounds awesome. I'd ask you for the recipe, but I have the feeling, it might be another one of those "handful of this, a little of that" ones. Oh, and if it makes you feel better...I did not shower yesterday. At all. And I ran twice. I figured that there was not much point in showering between the morning run and the evening run, and then by the time I got home, I was just too tired to bother. And I knew I was just going to get up and shower first thing in the morning anyway. And I had to change the sheets for the dogsitter.

plady~There's no way I could do carry-on only for a two month trip with two kids, but I am a notorious overpacker. For our trip, I packed three suitcases (one carry-on size for DS, one medium size with presents, one big one for me) that I checked ($55 total ) and carried on a large-ish diaper bag and my laptop bag stuffed full. Plus the carseat. In my defense, I had to bring lots of cold weather running gear, sweaters take up a lot of room, and I knew I needed to have lots of extra space to take toys that DS gets for xmas home. And I figure that if I can maneuver it all by myself, it's all good.

We are safely in Cincinnati at MIL's house. Our flight was uneventful, although the guy sitting next to me spent the entire (nearly 3 hour) flight reading the Sky Mall magazine. Really? 3 hours to read Sky Mall?

SIL and her DH came over for a little bit since she has to work the next two nights. She's going to stop over Saturday morning on her way home from work to see us again before we leave, but I'm kind of bummed that I won't get to spend more time with her.

My feet are feeling slightly better today, and I'm making sure to only wear my comfy shoes/boots until they feel totally better (no 3 inch heels!). I'm supposed to run 5 tomorrow, but I think I'm going to cut it down to 3 since I ran 2 extra yesterday!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#510 of 915 Old 12-17-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Our flight was uneventful, although the guy sitting next to me spent the entire (nearly 3 hour) flight reading the Sky Mall magazine. Really? 3 hours to read Sky Mall?
Some people really do look at it for the articles, ya know. Glad you had an easy trip.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page