December Dingos Run Through the Holidays! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 915 Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
i'm going to knit DS a control panel wristband for his robot brain today. that way he can reboot if he needs to. definitely worth a try and he's excited for it. only thing is i don't have any gray yarn, we'll have to see if another color will do. My gut tells me that this is just a really rough stage and it will pass. However, I had hoped that things would be improving by now, and they're not yet. I'm going to try getting him to bed earlier, it gets tough as he's already in bed at 7 and trying to get dinner and everything done in that time frame is tough.
You have a supportive teacher in this, right? It would probably help to clue her in on what DS is saying and your plan for the reboot button. That way the teacher can quietly guide him to his reboot if necessary. :

Once again, awful experience at Joann's today. They operate at the hairy edge of bait and switch. I guess I need another source of fabric? Grrr. Off to finish Christmas shopping and get my hair cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 915 Old 12-06-2009, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feeling glad I got a run in yesterday, 'cause it's crazy cold and starting to snow here, too. I see the treadmill in my future. I did get 3.75 in yesterday, the longest I've run since mid-September or so, and although my knee was a little achy this morning I'm not having IT band pain. Huzzah.

Our Christmas wreath from last year (which I got at a yard sale a few years ago) ended its life with a birdnest built in it, with bird poo as the mortar, so I finally got around to buying a new wreath today. Holy holiday madness and holy super-expensive ugly wreaths! After three stores (four, if you count Target yesterday) I got a kind of gaudy, on-sale one at Garden Ridge. We put the tree up yesterday and I'm going to get the Christmas china out in a few minutes. Did the whole shebang - nativity set, Santa Lucia knick-knacks, kids' tree (with a Santa Lucia tree topper that sort of matches the one on the big tree.) It looks more or less ok, and the kids are excited for the decorations.

eta: I don't know why I'm such a freak about the pictures. I'm average-looking, which I know, but I rarely like pictures of myself, and these particular ones were *so* unflattering that seriously, I am imagining people feeling sorry for my spouse for being married to me. I don't even look fat. Just - super, super awkward, with bad skin. Sigh. I guess it's a good lesson in humility and in letting go of control.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#183 of 915 Old 12-06-2009, 07:13 PM

Well, I couldn't quite motivate DH to go tree shopping today . He PROMISES he'll take DS and get one tomorrow after work. I've done a lot of cleaning and decorating in preparation for Friday's party. I also bailed on my run because DH gave me sad-puppy eyes when I asked him if it was okay. I'll go tomorrow morning... in the snow... .

Oh, and Thursday I'm trekking to Indy for compartment testing .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#184 of 915 Old 12-06-2009, 07:59 PM

mandy~ I LOVE the control panel wristband idea! I really hope it works for you!

penelope~I know you found one already, but I got a really nice wreath last year at Michael's 40% off, so it wasn't very expensive. It had to have been right around this time of year, too, since I'm pretty sure I had to get it because I dropped the other one when I went to put it up and it fell apart.

Well, I survived it. 12 miles on the hamster wheel at the Y. The first 10 actually weren't too bad, but then I started getting a side stitch and had to do way too much walking for the last two miles. I didn't even end up watching the movie on my phone...there wasn't anyone there when I got there, so I flipped channels and found "Elf" was on. It didn't last the whole run, but it got me close, and then 40 Year Old Virgin came on.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether to be productive and work on my A&P lab (the LAST thing I have to do!) or take a nap. Nap is currently winning.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#185 of 915 Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Once again, awful experience at Joann's today. They operate at the hairy edge of bait and switch. I guess I need another source of fabric? Grrr. Off to finish Christmas shopping and get my hair cut.
yes. I've finally decided that the 2 dollars a yard I can save there is so totally not worth it. There's a local shop I can walk to and I buy pretty much all my supplies there --- once a year or so I haul down to the fabric warehouse in the Twin Cities but otherwise I'm a local girl.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#186 of 915 Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 PM

Gaye, good job getting the run in.

Nick, your next run will be a good one. You've earned it.

Mandy, I am so impressed with the robot knitting. I hope the teacher buys in and uses terms your ds will respond to.

JayGee, sending you for the testing this week.

When I got back from my run the kids had their (little) St Nick items out and were quite happy. I spent the day making cooky trees (stacked stars with icing and candies for ornaments) and gingerbread houses. The houses didn't turn out so great but we made an effort. I also got the tree up. There is a bit more clean-up work to be done before we all head back into the work week but things are headed in the right direction.

Dd1 got a paper route as the pfice called and asked if she wanted one in our neighborhood. I am not thrilled but we are already tied down by ds1 and his route. The ink is everywhere.

I am going insane and might pick up marathon training for a winter race just to get out of the house. I am so dissatisfied tonight and so disappointed in myself for feeling this way.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#187 of 915 Old 12-06-2009, 10:09 PM

mommajb, I had a moment today wondering whether I am satisfied or dissatisfied. Turned out OK today, but I'm so moment-to-moment. With all of it.

I want a 3-week writer's retreat. Actually, I want more, but that's about the absolute limit of what I could ever get at this point in my life. And OMG I know how totally selfish that sounds...but everything is going nowhere here.

Snowblowers are ready, spare gas tank is full, shovel is replaced. Bring it.
#188 of 915 Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 PM

HBM's post over on Facebook about her Christmas cards just made me think...are we going to do a holiday card exchange this year? Not that I've even really thought about *my* Christmas cards yet!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#189 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 AM

I just got mine in the mail from Shutterfly, gaye! (They came out pretty well!). I'm up for it if others are.

Okay, pathetic vents ahead:

1) I don't want a Wii here. Why does my mother think that every electronic device is something my kids *HAVE* to have, for their own good? (It's Hand Body Coordination! It's Physical! It teaches them Technology!) I asked instead for subscriptions to some magazines I love but can't afford to get right now (the Cricket mags, and some Hebrew mags that have kids editions that are very pricey because of the limited market)...but NOOOOO she's set on this. Sigh. The last time she did this I made Rock N Roll Elmo live at her house for a while and that put an end to it...huh. I think I should get my father addicted to Wii golf and let her deal with that fallout.

2) I lost weight, good thing! I need a new running skirt, bad thing. They are $50 (the modest kind I wear, with the compression shorts under). Bleh.

3) I can't really afford to do much Chanukah gifting this year, if any. Now, it's not actually a gifting holiday, traditionally -- but the kids think it is and have gotten used to it. Gelt (money, real or chocolate) is traditional but I don't think that will satisfy, kwim?! Guess it will have to, or I'll try to find a toy exchange. Maybe my LLL will do one. Oh, there's an idea. Light bulb emoticon, please.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#190 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 02:04 AM

Ack, first snow that stuck this year fell overnight. It wasn't much, nothing like the 5 inches we were kind of expecting, but it was enough to annoy me and make me panic about the fact that we don't have a snowblower yet.

The roads were a little slippery this morning, but the trees were really pretty, so that kind of made up for it. I lost my scarf out of my pocket at some point; DD is more distressed than I am. We drove the course I ran, but it's not there anywhere. Would someone have picked it up and taken it? Weird. Anyway, I did about 6.5 miles, which felt great.

Today we went to a gingerbread house display, which was really neat. There were maybe sixty houses, all different, and the money they took in (suggested donation at the door, plus raffle tickets and food for sale) went to benefit Habitat for Humanity. Lots of the little gingerbread creations were based on homes in other countries, or houses that church members had built through Habitat.

Later this afternoon we decorated. Tree is up, inside lights are up, stockings are hung, and paper snowflakes are taped to the window. I'm feeling tapped out on Christmas already. My SIL is hosting Christmas Eve this year, which we thought was going to be very small, just our family, FIL, and SIL's in-laws, whom we love. Those are the people with whom we exchange gifts. Now SIL has invited a whole bunch of other people on Facebook, like it's some big open party rather than an intimate gift exchange. I don't want to exchange presents in front of all sorts of extended family for whom we haven't bought anything.

But, I'm not hosting this year and I need to let it go. Let it gooooooo. Deep breath.
#191 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 04:21 AM

Nick--I hear ya on the Wii! Would you believe my in-laws bought one for DH for his birthday? He is not a gamer, at all ( not to mention that he's been bringing work home most nights for months and if he did have free time he'd rather be reading). So, we didn't open it and sold it on Craigslist. He feels "horribly guilty" but he'll get over it. (His parents don't know and live a few thousand miles away. It was his decision, despite his guilt. But he feels guilty about everything, so I'm ignoring it.)

tjsmama--WTG! That's a long time on a TM. I might check out your chariot sometime but right now I'm mostly I'm fantasizing and planning. My old stroller will be fine for the first few months out anyhow, but I also really want to go snowshoeing next winter. I saw a bunch listed on Craigslist recently though.

Did yoga tonight after R's party. She had her first-ever kid party today. This is a big achievement for someone who's got some serious social anxiety. There were four kids from playgroup, but she shared nicely and played with the other girls and only had a couple of breakdowns at the end, so I'm really happy for her. Her birthday isn't until the 15th, but we wanted this out of the way before the holidays got even crazier.

Stay warm in all this chilly weather everyone!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#192 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 AM

boy sent off to school with robot control panel (knitted). it's not an actual classroom day, it's all day afterschool program because this is the day off for his class. generally these sort of days go better than classroom days. we'll see i guess. i'll try to grab a photo of the control panel later, it's simple but very cute.

rest day today.

we got another slight dusting of snow last night, just enough that it can turn the roads into trouble. so i'm not really looking forward to driving into work in a few minutes.
#193 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
bec

Mandy, I am wondering if the disruption in routine through the week isn't hard for your ds? It sounds like there is a lot of mental juggling (some days off, some half days, some days in care, etc.). Could that be stressing him? I hope the robot wrist band works! I love how you really worked with his creativity to help him come up with a solution!

Nick - I love the idea of a toy exchange. I wish we could do that for Christmas. It's going to be a "lean" Christmas around here, according to my parents. I am not sure exactly what that means, but I'm kind of hoping that means less crap for me to sort through on December 26!

RR: I have 4 on the schedule, and then swimming this evening. I'm tired, and it's going to be on the treadmill, so wish me luck!

My mom is supposed to come over to spend some time today. My dad is sick and has been driving mom up the wall with his man-flu, so she's coming here to escape the pitiful thing. Oh, and she informed me that Christmas is dead to her. She's still upset that we are not able to go to her house for Christmas Eve (this started last year), because she has 5 cats and my husband is terribly allergic to them. Not sure what she expects me to do about that, but not appreciating the guilt trip!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#194 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 AM

OK-I'm trying once again to get back on this thread. I'm not running much right now, but I am doing a lot of classes and even teaching on Wednesdays ( ATL Dingos-you need to come!). I need to get new shoes and get some good runs in. I've got to find a marathon to run b/c I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't cut my hair until I ran a marathon and my hair is SO freaking long-it's driving me crazy! At this rate, I'm going to look like Crystal Gayle by the time I'm actually ready! I'm looking at the Disney Princess Half and I figure that's at least good for a trim, right?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#195 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 12:12 PM

HBM, wish I could come to your classes!

We got maybe 2 inches, but 6-12 on the way for Tues-Wednesday. The bus came 15 minutes late. No run for me today. I am sitting for a friend's 4yo this morning, so we'll probably just do housework, knit, maybe bake something. If I am lucky, I'll try for a couple uphill miles walked in the afternoon on the TM.

If I am going to run on roads this winter, it will need to be in town, which means if I get serious, maybe I'll manage it twice, three times max, each week. My running road doesn't have a shoulder. I volunteer Wednesdays, and I could also run on an errand day. Add a weekend run when I feel especially motivated, and I should be good, right?
#196 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Mandy, I am wondering if the disruption in routine through the week isn't hard for your ds? It sounds like there is a lot of mental juggling (some days off, some half days, some days in care, etc.). Could that be stressing him? I hope the robot wrist band works! I love how you really worked with his creativity to help him come up with a solution!
Agreed, it's a crazy schedule. Thankfully it's all in the same building, the after care program is run by the YMCA and the staff there is really good and they've got a nice room in the school. I wish there were more options for finding the right school situation for him, but the reality is that we're in rural VT and there aren't options. The closest private schools are 45 minutes away, the opposite direction that we need to go for work.

my dad phoned and left a VM giving me a hard time for not providing a christmas list yet, they tend to go way overboard. When i finally was able to call him back I had to explain about the rough week and so forth, got him off my back a bit.

Lofty - did you find a tree in the woods? DS and I walked our property looking for a tree that might work, alas we're a little short of evergreens. We found one that might work, but it's not our land and I haven't a clue whose land it actually is. You got me totally smitten with the idea of getting a wild tree. Were you the one that recommended Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle? We found her at the library and are reading it now, i love the vintage aspect of the story.
#197 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I am so dissatisfied tonight and so disappointed in myself for feeling this way.
'Tis the season to go insa-ane Fa lalalala lalalala!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I want a 3-week writer's retreat.
There's a big writer's retreat thing in San Miguel in February while we're there, you can stay with us and we won't bother you! Barbara Kingsolver is coming to be the head honcho writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I just got mine in the mail from Shutterfly, gaye! (They came out pretty well!). I'm up for it if others are.

Okay, pathetic vents ahead:

1) I don't want a Wii here. Why does my mother think that every electronic device is something my kids *HAVE* to have, for their own good?
Yeah, I thought about ehem, Holiday Season Cards a season which might stretch to Valentine's Day if I keep moving at present speed! I'd do it!
On the wii, it could be worse, maybe you could stipulate that she has to pony up for wii fit too, that's kind of fun.

No RR to report, I've got TKD tonight and just realized I have to write a little essay before class. add that to the list I should be making of things I shouldn't forget to do!

GMM - Last year we pruned a tree of some big branches and lashed them together. Once the lights and decorations were on you really couldn't tell it wasn't a whole tree.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#198 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 PM

ok - though i haven't yet done our holiday cards, I love the dingo card exchange and volunteer to coordinate again. PM, email or FB message me your address and I will add it to a google spreadsheet to share with everyone.
#199 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
bec

4 miles done on the hamster wheel! Love that expression. Thanks, Gaye! I just have swimming tonight for Tri-class!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#200 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM

I'm supposed to be meeting my new RP for the first time today.

It's 15 degrees. That is about 20 degrees colder than the coldest I've ever actually been out on the road for a run.

I don't want to be a wimp, really I don't......but I also have a perfectly good YMCA with a perfectly good treadmill. And spinning bikes. And HEAT!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#201 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Hey Lalala, where do you live? NH, by any chance? My parents are in Portsmouth and they have a really cool gingerbread house display there too.

I was supposed to run 6 this morning, but DD2 was up coughing half the night and ended up sleeping until 10:00am . I plan on heading out for my run as soon as DH gets home from work this afternoon. We also got a bit of snow last night, so maybe things will have melted a little bit by then too.

Mandy ~ I'm really impressed with your creativity regarding you DS. I hope his new robot reboot works great!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#202 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sorry I haven't been around much this fall

I have been having some healing issues after the surgery and my exercise has been quite limited. I see my surgeon again tomorrow and I am hoping things will improve soon!

Some night when all the kids are in bed I will make myself a cup of tea and catch up on the thread!
#203 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 PM

Felt good to do the barn chores. Dh went down yesterday and rearranged again...and it's getting a little more comfortable, I guess. The snow has really helped the light in the barn, so I don't have to use the bulb for the chickens until later in the day. I've got one poor wee hen that molted a couple weeks ago, and she's just trying to stay warm. Poor bird!

Guess I am glad I came into the day knowing I wouldn't be working out. Not enough snow to shovel yet. Not that I am complaining!

Plady, I actually subbed for the mailing list to get an idea of how $$$ that conference is. Which is insane, because it's totally unrealistic for me to think I should be going to Mexico in Feb. Esp if I am going to Hawaii in Jan and possibly Germany in March.

Maybe I can get this little lady to go do some core work with me...she did say she likes folding laundry...
#204 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Shanti

I've been thinking about all the Dingoes I've met IRL a lot lately. So wish we could have our own conference!
#205 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Barbara Kingsolver three week writer's retreat Wow what a luxury! Enjoy!

HBM....will email you as to the time....I am going to try to not work on Wednesdays to have some sanity.

I am running here and there since the half....literally and figuratively. Pulling out the hats, gloves, tights, etc, since it got chilly here in GA but my little town is so pretty at 6:45 a.m. with all the lights, so it's nice. I did an INCREDIBLE six miles on Friday (beautiful! on my trail again!), then 3.4 on Sunday and Monday. Nice to be back in some sort of a groove.

must go work on sermon so I won't have to write it christmas week.......
#206 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I might not be running or even stretching all that much, but I can still bake

You know what is pathetic? I have all the ingredients for making the mint chocolate truffle cookies and I had to search MDC for the recipe I think I need to copy it out again!

#207 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Shanti! I was just thinking about those Shanti Cookies yesterday. It's time to put baking on the schedule!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#208 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
You know what is pathetic? I have all the ingredients for making the mint chocolate truffle cookies and I had to search MDC for the recipe I think I need to copy it out again!
Mama! What has the world come to? Oh yeah, one can't live on truffle cookies. Crock pot chicken on the other hand.....

Snow. Yes, please please please, with sugar on top, I'll take 6 inches. That makes it easier for me to say no to my sister on the trip to Iowa. Which I need to do. I especially need to do it because I either take the van (hello bad gas mileage + a few "issues" I'm procrastinating dealing with until xmas break) or I take the car with no heat.

I'm working on a job application. I hate working on job applications. Maybe this one will be "it" for a few years? It is a crap shoot.

Must get some running in this evening. And I also have plans to wax my skis, wash my laundry and get caught up on household chores so that I can enjoy our bountiful snowfall, should it ever come.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#209 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Nick, I think we have the SAME mil! We got that same Elmo, too, and we had a very hard time resisting the Wii offer. This time, I broke down, and allowed her to buy them iPods b/c they are sooo into music, but she insisted on the gaming ones, so they're iPod Touches. I'm happy they'll have their own music but I'm not looking forward to the arguments.

Jooj, I have some stuff I can send you. I was looking at it this morning on the way to pick up the goat that jumped through our window so I'll get back to you on that. and trying not to be

Plady, I just loved your description of diving! So nice to imagine that feeling of glory. So glad you had fun!

Mandy, let us know how it goes!

Quote:
I am going insane and might pick up marathon training for a winter race just to get out of the house. I am so dissatisfied tonight and so disappointed in myself for feeling this way.
MommaJB, this is me. I think I better find something before I start to really terribly lose it!

I want a retreat, too. and BARBARA KINGSOLVER?! OOOHHH YEAH!!!

We did not find a tree yet, so we're still looking.
Oh and jooj, yes, I did recommend Piggly-Wiggly - such light & fun reading with the kids.

Okay, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather be a city girl today. We went to pick up Mr. Elliott this morning and first, dh's truck runs out of gas. Then we get the goat home and the dog & goat start making each other crazy, so we brought the dog in the house - yes with the 4 adopted cats & 1 stray mutt who is still hanging around and liking it a bit too much. So the goat figures out the gate and when I go outside to load the laundry in the car - yes, the laundry b/c the washing machine broke again - the dog got out and discovered the goat was out and chased it. The goat ran jumped onto the stacks of firewood against the house, running right through the dining room window and landing on our dining room table where the boys are eating breakfasts and beginning school work. AAAAAAGGGHHH! I was too upset to do anything but bark orders, leave dh to clean it up, take one cat to vet to get fixed for his appt and cry all the way. I need a re-do.

Okay, forward motion for the day is testing in TKD tonight. I'd be really excited and practicing but I'm too mentally exhausted to get worked up about it. I think a nap and a movie may be in order today to reset my fried brain.

Hope yáll are having great days.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#210 of 915 Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Lofty! If it helps, our newest goat, the Tog, is "named" Jumpy. When she gets out, we can't find her. She looks too much like a tiny whitetail deer.

Off to see if I can find dh's cc somewhere...where the heck would it be?!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page