December Dingos Run Through the Holidays! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Anne! Running is addictive, isn't it (much like this thread... )!

Thanks for all the good insight into DD's school situation. Her teacher called me today while I was out, but I'll talk with her tonight. She did say that she separated Kay and N to different tables, so there will be less contact (they previously sat next to each other). She is very aware of the problem and said that Kay has been doing a good job of reacting appropriately to N's behaviors.

I went to the Y this morning for Boot Camp, which was hard, as always. Glad it's done. This afternoon I'm prepping and freezing lasagnas, baking cookies and cleaning the livingroom. Let the good times roll .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#242 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 03:02 PM

I'm here, not running but working out at bodyrock.tv she has extreme work outs that are great. STill sore from work out days ago (called death by work out).

As many of you FB'er know, I'm a Grandma today as of 12:15am. Going to see the bundle tonight and will take pics. I have one on my phone but can't seem to figure out how to get it to the computer.

Okay, off to work out, busy day today.

to you ladies!
#243 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 03:06 PM

CONGRATULATIONS RM!!!!! Still having a tough time thinking of you as a grandma !

#244 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Congrats RM!

Welcome Anne!

I had a whole post with personals that just evaporated. Grrgh.

Am I insane for considering doing another half this Sunday? I'm supposed to do 12, and haven't run since Sunday (will tomorrow a.m.) since dh is away. It's a small one and I would do it as a training run. Insane, right?!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#245 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Congrats RM

Nick-I think its totally doable-just don't race it-like you said-consider it as a training run. Think-slow and long.

Welcome, Anne!

JG-so glad the teacher is physically separating them. Your poor daughter-she should not have to deal with that.

I ran this morning -just about 3.5 miles-it was cold but not as cold as it has been over the weekend. I felt run down during it-oh well-my legs were super tired and I felt like everything was jiggling. I got it done. Check.

Thanks everyone for your words about K. And thank you BBM for your advice-I think it makes total sense and I will definitely do it! Guess what she came home with from school? Apparently St. Nickalaus visited their classroom-and gave them candy and itsy bitsy sticks. Ugh. She was fine with it though-she noticed all of them got the same thing-so all of her friends must make poor choices every now and again just like her. Maybe that was actually a good thing.

Jooj-that is exactly it in a nutshell with K right now. I am glad it was short lived in your house. We are trying to emphasize the positive right now-we usually do-but I am really making an extra effort-read-when absolutely exhausted I am taking deep breaths with a smile on my face and just sucking up a lot of the stuff instead of immediately criticizing.
#246 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 PM
bec

Congratulations, RM!!!

Welcome, Anne!

RR: I managed 4 on the treadmill this morning, plus some shoveling (about to head out and shovel some more in a minute). 60.4 miles to go!!!

I had a really frustrating time trying to find a string of Christmas lights! After 5 places, I finally found some! I didn't realize it would be such a hassle to find regular, old fashioned, run of the mill mini Christmas lights! Apparently, I need to think about my tree light needs before Thanksgiving. But, I have them, and will finish up the tree lights today, and, hopefully start putting ornaments on!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#247 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 05:28 PM

I've been doing way too much holiday baking. I need to find better ways of showing my love. Our gingerbread house is cooling as I type. I need some that we get it put together without too many tears from the girls.

Dd2 is cranky from the get go lately and I am at a loss. This morning after breakfast when I told her to brush her teeth and get dressed she asked my why I am always to mean to he and make her do everything. I have no clue what is going on. She will be 7 in February. Some days I think the problem is that I don't have my act together and am not cut out to parent daughters. That would leave me batting 2 for 5.

Goshen is the location of the world's worst marathon.

Mel, how is Bavaria?

BBM, I wish you were my mom or maybe my daughters' mom. You have so many wise words we all benefit from.

bec, running is my crack of choice lately. At least it is healthier than cheesecake but I had some of that today too.

p'seed, I hope your dd is feeling more positive soon. It sounds like so many good things are being said. Perhaps this will be a growth experience during which she will get a better grasp of what it means to make good decisions and follow through behavior wise.

Nick, what you have said about the race sounds fine. Just be sure you can live with the consequences if you do accidentally race it.

Welcome anniebee! I am in the 'tristate area' and running the flying pig in the spring. While I don't have any local dingos I am surrounded so meet-ups should happen more often than they do.

JayGee, situations like that terrify me and upset me. they just shouldn't happen and I lack trust in so many people. Anyway, I am glad the teacher is responsice and your dd is handling it well enough for now.

RunningMommy is a RunningGranny! How exciting! I hope all is well for their little family this week.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#248 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Ok, I need help. I had a crappy treadmill run this morning, and it wasn't even mental! I was all set, movie on my iPhone, feeling pretty good, and right around mile 5 of my planned 9, the side stitches set in again. I toughed it out for another mile, but there was no way I had the time or energy to try and get through three more. I don't know what to do. Our weather is pretty miserable (like, lucky to hit double digits today), and I just can't take DS out in that. If it were just me, I would, but it's not. And if I can't run on the treadmill, how on earth am I going to keep training? It goes away immediately if I slow to a walk, but within a minute or so of bumping the speed back up, it's back. I even tried running super slow (like 4 mph!) and that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? This is sooooo frustrating!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#249 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

BBM, I wish you were my mom or maybe my daughters' mom. You have so many wise words we all benefit from.
#250 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Goshen is the location of the world's worst marathon.
I *knew* it! I've run on that track. 13 laps to the mile. : At least there were a lot of windows to see outside.
#251 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Panic!!!!! More than 40 cadets have RSVPed to our party ! My house is NOT that big! Thank God this is the last year I'll have to host this thing.

Now, to stop eating cookies from the stress....

#252 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Kristina, drink a nice glass of vodka before they get there. You won't mind them at all.

RR: 2 miles in blizzard conditions. It was fun. Tomorrow, I'm using the treadmill, though!

Classes were cancelled today and tomorrow. Um, it's *finals week.* Damn. I just instructed one class to email me their take-home final and drop their final projects off at my office, but ten bucks says I'll have at least one who can't manage either. I have another class whose final is open book, open note and I'm inclined to let them take it at home, too. Sigh. At least they'll all be typed, right?

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#253 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 PM

sob...thanks mommajb and pseed...I can say though that my daughter would definitely disagree... and my son? His favorite statement lately, "I guess mom....(said slowly with short pause, you're mean." Followed by, "yeah, I guess your mean." He'll be three.
#254 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 PM

x-posted in c25k thread...

I graduated from the Couch-2-5K! Woowee!! Feels AWESOME! Now, onto training for the 1/2 marathon at the end of February...

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#255 of 915 Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 PM

Lots of personals ahead, starting with a big for all who need it.

kerc, hope the application leads to a good opportunity

loftmama, wow sounds like you had a crazy day yesterday. I hope the day got better.

pumpkinseed,

mommajb, 204 laps? How do they keep track of how many you've done? Must be a map every lap or something to time it. Wow, that's crazy.

memiles, so sorry that mom is taking advantage of you. It's not fair at all and sucks. Great news about the RP though. I need to find one, since my current one (boyfriend) refuses to run more than 5 miles with me and I'm lucky if I get that these days.

Shanti, I hope your doctor was helpful today and you have some answers.

Mandy, I'm sorry the robot thing didn't work.

JayGee, so sorry to hear about what your DD is going through. That is awful. I'm glad the teacher is aware of it. I hope it doesn't continue. for you both

bec, you're ticking off the miles! Awesome job I'm sure your girls birthday party will go great!

cfg, great job in the half! I hope I can get into the high 1:40s for my half time soon, I'm impressed! 3 PRs in a row is great.

Welcome Anne! Nice job in your 5K!

Penelope, good for you getting the run in even with impending bad weather!

Runningmommy, congrats Grandma!

Nick, I'd do the half as a training run if you want too. As long as you don't go all out it should be fine.

mommajb, and

Great job AlwaysByMySide!

Ugh, work is so stressful right now. I have so much to do and so many meetings to go to. Everything will work out ... but I'm bringing so much work home these days and just feel bogged down by it all. I hate the darkness of winter too. It makes me just want to come home and go to sleep. I think I have SAD. Ugh. At least I work for a University and get intersession in 3 weeks. Counting down the days.

rr: 3 recovery miles after work.

I had PT yesterday and it was hard but good. I got massage, ultrasound, heat, stim and ice, so that was all good but the appt took 2 hours which is wayyyy too long when I'm going on my lunch. But hey I make up for it with all the work I do at home, I guess.
#256 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 AM

The Goshen Maple Leaf Indoor Marathon has 800 Aid Stations!

No slow pokes allowed, though. They have a 6 hour time limit.

No one appears to have entered it yet.

That just might be worse than 12 miles on a treadmill. Except of course, that track goes around the racketball court. Can they promise a really nice view into the court?
#257 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 12:25 AM

I just turned in my last assignment for the semester and I am DONE! and I don't even care that I did a piss-poor job on it b/c I know I already have an A in the class. And let's face it, my definition of a piss-poor job is probably pretty darn good compared to half of my classmates.

Did I mention that I'm DONE?! Until June, anyway. Hopefully.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#258 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 01:37 AM

tjsmama--yay for done! Also, don't worry too much about these mid-week runs. As long as you get the long-long runs in, it will be fine. I really hope the weather improves soon.

Sending out to all those with dinglet (and/or animal!) issues. It's been reassuring to see I'm not the only one pulling my hair out here.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#259 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 AM

Gaye - yay for being done! I wonder if the TM is somehow making you alter your form and causing the stitches?

I need to figure out where to focus my running energy next. Unfortunately, for the next 5 weeks DH has training during regular business hours. WTH am I going to run besides the weekend?? And after that, his schedule is switching to something else that we don't even know yet. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I really want to train for another marathon, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Since it doesn't seem like I'll be running very much, I guess this is the perfect time to transition full-time into VFFs. I've been wanting to do that for awhile anyway. I'd better hurry up and get some toe-socks to wear with them, though, because it's cccccold out there. We never get freezing temps here and last night and tonight are in the 20's! I've still got vines full of tomatoes outside - I hope they'll be ok.
#260 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I got stuck in traffic yesterday and wound up running the two blocks from the parking lot to my surgeon's office........... it wasn't a pretty sight I am so out of shape for running it isn't even funny

There is definitely something going on with one side so she ordered a mammogram and an ultrasound for that breast. It was extremely painful when she examined it and she agreed that the kind of swelling I am experiencing is unusual. I am not worried, just annoyed.

Insomnia is my constant companion again - about the only thing it is good for is time on MDC - and knitting, I guess. Still trying to catch up with everyone!
#261 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
The Goshen Maple Leaf Indoor Marathon has 800 Aid Stations!

No slow pokes allowed, though. They have a 6 hour time limit.

No one appears to have entered it yet.

That just might be worse than 12 miles on a treadmill. Except of course, that track goes around the racketball court. Can they promise a really nice view into the court?
Are you saying we should sign up? We could place in our age group and with 800 aid stations I wouldn't even need to be hungry when done.

Gaye for done! I don't know what to say about the stitches. Are you not breathing deeply enough while watching movies on the TM?

CFG - I want to hide from my life in marathon training but also don't know how to fit it in. I am flopping around looking for goals right now.

Shantimama, that you can sleep, fix the recovery problem and run! You are in my thoughts.

I lifted at the gym today but I have been trying out a totally different plan and I don't like it. it is only 6 weeks I think and this is week three so I'll see it through but yuck it doesn't leave me feeling invigorated.

#262 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 08:45 AM

800 aid stations? I certainly hope there is a bathroom right off the track! The Y where we belonged in Illinois was 13 laps = 1 mile. Boooooring!

Shanti ~ you have been recovering for so long from your surgery. I hope it all gets sorted out quickly .

My next 3 days are so jam-packed that I woke up in a panic at 5:45am. I've decided to reschedule my compartment testing for a different week. Driving to Indy tomorrow just will NOT work, plus I still haven't gotten the confirmation from my insurance. Running slowly, with walk breaks, seems to really prevent the calf problems from occurring. Maybe I just have to give up my dreams of being speedy.

I hope to get a run in tonight, sometime....

#263 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM

JayGee, Just a thought here... While you are waiting for more testing and running slowly are you wearing your compression socks either during or after the runs?

I would thing 13 laps to the mile would really slow one down on account of all the turning. I would also want to change directions frequently to avoid stressing my body unevenly and for the entertainment factor.

#264 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Can they promise a really nice view into the court?
They should rename that the world's most boring marathon!

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#265 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 AM

for being done, tjsmama

Quote:
JayGee, Just a thought here... While you are waiting for more testing and running slowly are you wearing your compression socks either during or after the runs?

I would thing 13 laps to the mile would really slow one down on account of all the turning. I would also want to change directions frequently to avoid stressing my body unevenly and for the entertainment factor.
I'd suggest not wearing them during the run, since if it is compartment syndrome, your muscle is already being overly compressed and the pressure is rising and the compression socks would just add to it. I was wearing my compression socks during running and it did not help at all and then when I was talking to the sports med doc it clicked with me that extra compression could hurt not help in the case of compartment syndrome because of the pressure levels already rising. But it may help with the blood flow ... hmmm I'm not sure but I'd lean towards not wearing them during a run ... I do think it can help with the pain after though and I still wear mine then.

I was also thinking the same about running on a track, you'd have to turn sometime in a marathon but when and then would you have people running both ways? I think I'll stay away from marathons that are on tracks.
#266 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
I was also thinking the same about running on a track, you'd have to turn sometime in a marathon but when and then would you have people running both ways?
They ring a bell every 30 minutes. You move to the outside of the track and turn around a cone at the end of the next lap to change direction, running along the inside of the track.

I read the whole website. I'm oddly distracted by this marathon.
#267 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I'm oddly distracted by this marathon.

#268 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I'm oddly distracted by this marathon.

-16 below this morning. Which is apparently too cold for track or something.

I guess maybe we'll go to the Y for noon spin class, then. Have to hit up Costco , too, to pick up my xmas cards that I finally got ordered last night. I pondered going and running on the tm instead, but would rather not. I think tomorrow will be warm enough to go outside. I don't know, maybe I'll try to do a couple of miles before or after spin...

Did I mention ?

#269 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM

It's limited to 25 participants. Not only could we take our age groups, we could take over the entire thing! There is also room for a few spectators....dinglets everywhere!

All this talk of it's spectacular view is making me consider our Y's track today. Seventeen laps to the mile, baby!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#270 of 915 Old 12-09-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I lifted at the gym today but I have been trying out a totally different plan and I don't like it. it is only 6 weeks I think and this is week three so I'll see it through but yuck it doesn't leave me feeling invigorated.
What plan is it? I'm beginning to get a little bored with Body for Life even though I know it's working. Yesterday some lady at the gym looked over at me and asked, "So who programmed you?"
I wasn't sure if I was or it just seemed like such a bizarre comment.

Goose. This morning we found only one goose outside when the sun came up and bloody feathers everywhere. Poor geese, the pond froze over two days ago and they had nowhere to stay safe. I feel so bad for the one that's left, I think it's the gander. And he's got frozen blood on him, I can't get close enough to him to see how serious it is but either way the poor thing must be in shock. I don't know how to help it either because they were never really tame, they'd hit us up for food but always stayed out of reach so now I'm afraid that this one won't be able to hold the foxes off long. I'm so sad.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page