Mothering Forum banner

December Dingos Run Through the Holidays!

23K views 914 replies 43 participants last post by  Geofizz 
#1 ·
"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, DrJen will probably post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

We've also got a Dingo Cooking Blog(which could use some fresh recipes btw!) and a Dingo group on FB if anyone is interested.

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."

See less See more
#377 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Ok, for those of you experienced in looong runs...at what point do you start fueling? It seems silly to start fueling at 2 or 4 miles. 6? 8? Do you fuel every mile, or every two?
Not a looooong run but on my 9 last week, I took two Gus with me but only used one and that was at about 3 miles because I hadn't eaten at all before so I figured I'd be better sooner than later. I was fine with 1 for that distance and just water. I'm doing the same for my 10 tomorrow. What do you use for fuel? For 18, I'd probably start at mile 4/5 and take every 4-5 miles, if that? Not sure but I thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.

#378 ·
Quote:

Ok, for those of you experienced in looong runs...at what point do you start fueling? It seems silly to start fueling at 2 or 4 miles. 6? 8? Do you fuel every mile, or every two?
I have zero experience with runs that long. But I eat all day long. So if I'm going out to ski for 2 hours then I'll fuel every 30 minutes. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll be out in the woods someplace, laying on the ground, helpless.

Sweet first family ski of the year.
My kids were more excited than me.

#379 ·
For half-marathons, I usually start around 6-8 miles and fuel every 2 miles. My stomach can't handle a lot of calories at once, so I do sport beans or shok bloks (3 beans or 1-2 bloks at a time). If I do a gel, it goes straight through me and it is NOT pretty.

So should I stick with what I do for halfs, just continue it? Trying to figure out how much I need to take with me tomorrow...

#380 ·
So tomorrow is Saint Lucia's feast day, which we celebrate, and so far toward that end I have: made lussekatter (the Swedish buns), made ds a Starboy hat and wand, bought batteries for dd's "candle" crown, gotten the (very simple) gown out to iron, found the Starboy table runner, and photographed every version of Lucia we have in the house for my blog post tomorrow (two tree-toppers, several Christamas ornaments, two framed vintage textiles, a small candle holder, a little ceramic procession, and one tattoo.)

I think I like this.

#381 ·
Quote:

For half-marathons, I usually start around 6-8 miles and fuel every 2 miles. My stomach can't handle a lot of calories at once, so I do sport beans or shok bloks (3 beans or 1-2 bloks at a time). If I do a gel, it goes straight through me and it is NOT pretty.

So should I stick with what I do for halfs, just continue it? Trying to figure out how much I need to take with me tomorrow...
I would stick with it since you know it works. Hope you have a good run tomorrow morning!

#382 ·
JayGee--so glad the party went so well! I'm sure it was a great time.

Penelope--enjoy your St. Lucia festivities! We read about the day in one of the American Girl books and DD was intrigued, but I'm not quite ready to tackle another planned event this month.

Today was a good day; managed to get grocery shopping done, as well as pick a couple of things up at the toy story while my kids played obliviously nearby. This may be the last year I can do Christmas shopping in their presence.

This afternoon we got all dolled up to go to a local production of The Nutcracker. DD is five and just started ballet class this fall (after two years of begging to dance), and her ballet teacher appeared in this production. I didn't realize she'd be so good! She was the Snow Queen and the Arabian Dancer and a couple of other parts, and she was fantastic. DD was mesmerized, looking for her and at her. And every time another dancer danced a solo, DD huffed about why that part wasn't being played by her teacher.

DS enjoyed most of the show, too, although he decided to cuddle into my lap through some of the long dances in the second half. DH and I were thrilled to be able to go; we both love the music and seeing a live production. We were disappointed there weren't more little boys in the audience. Really, are parents SO afraid of what will happen if they expose their sons to ballet? Anyway.

I came home and went on Facebook to post something on my little (not so little anymore; she's 23) cousin's wall about The Nutcracker because she used to dance and we saw that show year after year when she was in middle school and high school and advanced through the parts. I found out that my cousin has set her privacy settings so her wall isn't visible to me.

My feelings are hurt. Really dumb, huh? But they are. I defriended her, which is petty, and she probably won't notice. If she does, I'll have to decide what to say that won't seem whiny or angry. Stupid social networking site.

I didn't run today but I did play Wii Fit, which informed me that I am still overweight. I think if I lose two more pounds, the game will stop taunting me. My kids get a kick out of it and like to choose the most horrific yoga poses for us to do. Tomorrow I might run, although I'd have to get up early, since DD has a birthday party at another of those bounce house places at 9:30. Eek! I'll enjoy watching her interact with her classmates there, though.

#383 ·
lala~I've been seriously contemplating taking DS to see the Nutcracker. Probably not this year, we don't have time, but maybe next. I think he would really like it. Sorry about your cousin.

#384 ·
tjsmama--I'd do what you did for your half. That's how I do all my longer runs--starting fuel sometime between 4-6 miles depending on how I feel, and then usually doing more every 3-4 miles.

Lalala--sorry to hear about that. FWIW, I know a lot of people who have pared down their friends or what they see on FB because it gets overwhelming. It's not usually personal, yk? (OTOH, one of the reasons I'm not on FB is because I don't want to deal with with all the drama of the friend/not friend that I keep hearing about from other people.
)

#385 ·
So many wise women here. Even if I can barely keep up, running or otherwise, it's wonderful to read what you have to say. I'm so grateful to know you all.

Nic, did you say you ran a marathon 13 years ago? If so, that's 26.2. 26.2 is the same today as it was then and I think that qualifies for a sticker!

I hear you about the dh/his idea part. I have to try to remember that sometimes, but I usually get irritated and blow it. Maybe you can agree to show him goals, regular progress and to regularly re-assess what you're doing. Not that you wouldn't do those things anyway, but sometimes just saying it out loud makes a difference, at least in our house. There were many families in Austin who homeschooled part-time and "contracted out" for lack of a better phrase specific subjects. As they get older, I see more and more of that. It's something else I keep in the back of my mind as a possibility. Good luck making the right decision. And just like the marathon, you can always change your mind.

Personally, I think being able to casually sign up for a 5K like it's a walk in the park is a very good state of fitness.

I am utterly exhausted, fried, spent. Last night the goat got out again and was running around the house trying to get through the door. He climbed on the table saw on the porch and thankfully did not go through the window. Not sure I'm ready for goats.
to all of you who keep more than cats & dogs. I'm a bit overwhelmed and a lot underprepared.

But, we have two beautiful eggs now.
And my superfat kitten is not pregnant.
I've just been overfeeding her.

Tjsmama, loved your running report - and especially loved the title of your race. Can't stop smiling when I think of it!

I know there are so many more personals but after the 2 hours of catching up and I'm bone weary. Have a good night.

Oh and congrats on your successful party, JAYGEE!

Oh and hope you had a wonderful Hanukkah.(sp?) My kids were invited to participate in one last year and it was sooo special.

#386 ·
Gaye - definitely stick with what has worked for you in the past but maybe bring a bit more just in case you end up needing extra. I've noticed that the more long runs I do, the less I need to fuel, like my body is getting used to the distance and no longer needs as much extra to be able to handle it. Good luck!

OMG, I'm freaking out a little bit here. I've always slept with DD2 (6.5) because she's been too spooked to sleep alone. I haven't minded a bit because, frankly, she's a much better sleep companion than DH. Well, today she declared she's ready.
Now, having kids has transformed me into the lightest sleeper on the planet and I really don't know how I'm going to be able to get any sleep with DH. He flops around constantly like a fish out of water, he snores loud enough for the neighbors to hear, and he's got this restless leg thing where he rubs his feet together all.night.long. I was seriously contemplating running to Ikea this afternoon to buy myself a bed. Wish me luck for a sleep-filled night.

rr: 8 miles on the TM. It has been raining cats and dogs here since yesterday and I just couldn't bring myself to willingly step out into a deluge. Rain isn't nearly as bad if it starts while you're already running, but to go out into it on purpose - no thanks, not today anyway.

#387 ·
CFG, I hear you on the sleep. I hope it wasn't as bad as you remember.

Gaye, fuel like you do for a half but bring an extra along in case you want it.

I am waiting for the rain to stop we I can run. I will run. I am dressed for it.

Penelope, have fun! Nobody brought out our Lucia gown, in an effort not to make the lussekatter rolls I made limpa bread so I suppose we'll make rolls this afternoon when they realize what I've done .
Mommy of the season is not the award I'll get.

La4, i'm glad the ballet was enjoyable. My mom and I take each child when they turn 8. It is such a fun holiday tradition to get all dressed up and go to the matinee followed by a tearoonm. Well, ds1 didn't care much for the tearoom as part of the excitement but he did enjoy his treat. I wouldn't think twice about fb. She probably posted something controversial for a select group and didn't know how or modified her privacy settings because of the fb updates and didn't realize she was cutting you off. Let her know what you had to say and that you can't see her wall so she can fix it.

Loftmama, I am obviously bot cut out for your goat!
that he stays outside!

#388 ·
Penelope ~ can you link me to your blog so I can see/read about your St. Lucia Day? My Dad's family is Swedish, so it's something I've considered adding to our already crazy Christmastime repertoire

Gaye ~ good luck on your long run today
. Fuel as you would in a half. You know it works. Great RR too. That sounds like a really fun Du! I am still lobbying DH for a move to CO ~ the racing there sounds fantastic!

lofty ~ your goat sounds a little disturbed! Glad kitty isn't pregnant. I'd think mine was too, except for the fact that he's a HE and he's been neutered
. Fat, fat, fat!

CFG ~ hope your night's sleep was okay. I'm still shacked up with DD2, most nights myself.

I've got a sinus infection now, so no run yesterday. The pain behind my eyes was unbearable. It seems a little better today though, so I hope to get out for 5 miles or so this afternoon. Would a neti pot help for a sinus infection? I can breathe just fine, but the pressure in my sinuses is awful.

#389 ·
Kristina, I PM'd you.

I use a neti pot for sinus infections since I had some scary complications from antibiotics a few years ago. I'm a leeeetle phobic of antibiotics now and have thankfully not needed more. IME the neti pot really works.

#390 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
IME the neti pot really works.
It works for me, too. I had a few years with a sinus infection, and one bad experience with abx, too, but since I started with the neti pot (yea, and just better health overall) no new infections.

everyone!

I did 8 miles today!
That's been my longest run since my hm in September. It was awesome.

Hmmm, after reading what La4 (mommajb, good idea on shortening that username!) said about Facebook... that's one of the reasons that I hesitate to let my 13 yo dd have an account. She is begging me, literally begging on a weekly basis for 4 months or so now. I worry about the pettiness and fickleness of teenage girls, hurt feelings, etc. more than being exposed to any real 'bad people'. I also wonder what kinds of things she'll hear from her cousins and their friends since they are all teenage boys. Any thoughts on this? Is 13 just too young yet?

#391 ·
morning. cold out there today. ds has a nice playdate today, so I have many hours to get my workout done. too bad it's so freaking cold out there. i'm planning for a 1.5 hour bike and a 1 hour hike, but it's really cold for biking.

yesterday i did 1.25 hours on the trainer. since we got a new tv the old one and dvd player was moved to the basement and this makes the trainer much easier to ride. movies.

Gaye - have fun on your long run. I always loved the solitude and effort of the long run, and love the long solitary rides that I do now. I generally do 1-2 cliff blocks every 20-30 minutes on the bike.

Lofty - wow, what a goat.

#392 ·
jaygee~Another neti pot fan here. I don't know that it will completely cure a sinus infection, but it definitely makes things better. I fought off a sinus infection with the neti pot last year for about two months. I did finally end up going to the dr. and getting antibiotics, though. Of course, I wasn't as religious about using it as I probably should have been. As in, when I started feeling better, I stopped using it.

Ok, heading out to drop off DS at his father's so I can head out for my run. I sure hope you all are right about enjoying the solitude, cuz I'm gonna have about 14 miles of it.

#393 ·
I'm sure this is too late for today's run, Gaye, but I agree with the others about sticking to your fueling strategy for the half. Then, assess how it went, and make adjustments from there. I think that is one of the reasons for so many really long runs. It helps you iron out the kinks.

Lofty - That goat has some problems, I think. Dare I ask if he needs a...erm...friend?

We take the Brownies to a a production of something or other every few years. We went to a Nutcracker type thing (not the actual story, more of a dancing montage of several holiday stories) along with Emily (she was 4 at the time) and they were entranced. This year, we took them to see a production of A Christmas Carol. I brought all of my girls (so, Abby at 4), and, again, absolutely captivated. It makes me wish I could afford to take the kids to more live productions.

FB - I'm sorry, la4
It's stuff like that that makes me glad I'm not on FB. I'm sure it was just an oversight, but, you know, even if that is the case, it hurts to be not thought of to such a degree that you are accidentally excluded. That is like the story of my childhood, so I get it.

I was out late last night drinking and hanging out with friends at their holiday party. I drank too much wine and too much homemade Baileys, ate too much food, and had a great time! Today is Abby and Emily's birthday party, and I'm procrastinating getting ready for that. I'll be happy at 4 when it's all over! Birthday season is so stressful!

And, I am sore from yesterday's run! But, in that, good, we were hardcore and actually ran in stuff that people were only snowmobiling in kind of sore!
I'm looking at it as similar to a hill type workout, building speed through strength! Good stuff!

#394 ·
Ugh.

Today is my nephew's birthday party, exactly one week after his mother's baby shower. Both are over an hour away.

It's snowing (very rare here) and I'm so buried in my own crap that I completely forgot to figure out Ellie's food for the party. I check with my sister today with the hope that maybe, just maybe, she remembered and figured out alternatives or was serving at least one gluten free option.

Nope. And we don't have shopping options in our podunk town that I can run out and get something premade. So she'll be taking a sandwich to eat while everyone else has pizza and a granola bar for when everyone else has cake and ice cream.

For some reason this is just making me feel crying. Part of it is my family's reaction to Ellie's needs. Any time I invite anyone with special dietary needs to an event I make sure I can feed them, yet not once in 3 years has my family done ANYTHING to try to accommodate her. I'm an adult and can get by just fine at a party not eating, but it's different for her. She's understandably sad, is starting to get frustrated and embarrassed about being different, and I'm just not doing a very good job of minimizing it for her.

I really, really, really don't want to go today, or I wish DH would go with me as I hate driving in the snow, but nope! He's staying home to do.....something. Not sure what.

#395 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Anyway, long story short - I think you need to talk to your dh and schedule some time for yourself.
Yes yes yes! And do it now before the idea that you *have* to be there all the time becomes gospel. I never did this with dd1 and I won't go into details but it led to really bad things for me and our marriage. It's an old saw that you can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself but that's because it's true. Sit that dh and down and figure out some time off, preferably a bit each day or at least on more days than not per week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerc View Post
It was super fun and I would totally do it again. It is a reminder that my children will enjoy things that I rarely do because I'm too cheap to pay for them (symphony, ballet, etc.). If only the night out hadn't cost me almost 65 dollars. Thank you ticketmaster.
Oh me too. I can be such a cheapskate but a few years back a wise woman pointed out that when I don't go to something that I'd really like to see just because of the money I'll just become bitter but when I let myself buy the ticket and enjoy the show I am left with a really nice memory. I've been making an effort to do more and it really does make me a happier person (and I can rein in spending in other ways that don't make me feel deprived and sad).

Thank you FBers for the condolences on the Gander. He just put his head down and sighed his last sigh while I was petting him on Friday night. A friend of mine took pictures from my FB posts and others and wrote a really sweet story about them, I'm going to figure out how to attach it after church.

RR: I ran yesterday, not too far but it felt really good. It was super chilly and I took off running without putting my hair in a pony tail and it was such an odd sensation. I felt like Lady Godiva or something, like I just wasn't dressed at all

Yesterday we had nothing planned so of course the day ended up being more jam packed than ever, but it was all fun. The PTA had a waffle breakfast and book fair then C had a playdate then went to see Planet 51 with her friend while I ran for a bit and then met the oother mom for a hot toddy. Then there was the lighted boat parade and Santa at the middle school and finally a Mexican Christmas party with great food and mariachis and Mexican folk dancing. Alison had a ball dancing with her little buddy, I wonder if she somehow remembers the Mexican sounds because the second she heard the mariachis start she started grooving out. Anyway, it was a good day.
Now we're off to church and then it's going to be all about playing in the snow, attempting to make latkes and a few quiches to use up some of the eggs we've got piling up!

Gaye - I hope you're having or have had a surprisingly nice run today!

Memiles-
I'm sorry the snow is bumming you out. Can you just make an excuse to skip it and stay home and relax instead.

I started this post yesterday morning so I apologize for being so behind on personals.

#396 ·
Oh Plady!
I haven't been online to check...so very sad. Poor goose and gander.
So sorry. I have actually spent a lot of time out in the barn giving a lot of attention to my surviving Nubian, trying to make sure she doesn't go down in grief.

I might run on the TM today. I have been doing pretty well. Now just need to stay away from the leftover Sunday school brownies. Luckily the kids ate all the mac and cheese.

I think I may be developing stomach irritation from the ibuprofen. I am taking a lot to control the inflammation and keep my hands from being numb/burning/stiff all the time, and now my tummy is starting to protest. I had a minipuke yesterday and today I had some scary pain that reminded my of when I had gastritis in my 20s. Just sucks because I am now a non-smoking, non-drinking, generally healthy person. I don't like internal organ pain.

Dh just left for IL. Hope the weather's good down there. He should be back in a couple days. This week, my sister and I are putting together final preparations for the birthday formal. I'm so glad it's at her house.

We had latkes today. Happy Hanukkah!

#397 ·
just a thought on the FB stuff: FB just changed/updated their privacy settings and it may have been that and not specifically against you. They asked everyone to update their settings, and quite frankly, when they forced me to do it (I was trying to do one thing, but it popped up and wouldn't let me continue until I did it), I didn't read through it but just clicked "update" and thought I'd come back later when I had time to read through it. Maybe something of that nature happened?

Weight lifting/conditioning, check out the videos on this site, bodyrock.tv weights are in the archives, she moved without the weights (no clue why) and has used body weight for the last few weeks, but it literally kicks your butt! Sore butt for DAYS!

Loving the site as it gives me cardio and weight training (and I throw in some extra weights on my own since work outs are short) all in one.

#398 ·
memiles~
I can't imagine having to deal with something like that. It's got to be really challenging.

Guess what? I DID IT. And it was GREAT!

Ok, the first 9 miles kind of sucked, but that was because I was going uphill into a CRAZY (and I mean that) headwind. I hit the turnaround, and just kind of flew back the way I came. Tailwind + downhill = AWESOME. I actually almost wish my friend hadn't met me with 5 miles to go.
It was nice to have the company and distraction, but I was honestly doing pretty well mentally, and she slowed me WAY down. She kept telling me that I could go on and just come back and pick her up when I got to my car, but there was no way I was going to do that to someone who had gone out of their way to come run with me, ya know? I was well below 11 minute pace from the turnaround until I met up with her, then the first two with her were just over 11 and the last 3 (which involved a decent amount of walking) were around 12:30 pace. I spent the last mile cheering HER on to finish.
Oh well, at least now I know that if I DO have to run my 20 in Ohio alone that I can do it, and I can do it pretty darn well!

I now have the rest of the afternoon until DS gets home to recover. Ice bath, done. Hot shower to warm up from ice bath, also done.
I have a ton of stuff I should do around the house, but snuggling up on the couch with a blanket and maybe taking a nap is sounding way more appealing!

#401 ·
well done, Gaye!

Thanks again, all, for the advice about scheduling time. DH is very lovely but he hates his job and is in grad school part time and it makes it very hard for him to really think that I might be sometimes more stressed than him. He does help make time for exercise for me but the reality is that I have to work really hard to get exercise in (i.e. extremely early mornings and I reciprocate). Dh offers to take DS - like now - but he has so much to do (end of school year), DS is soooooo over tired and he's offering because I am so fed up as I have had a total of 50 mins to myself - on the rower - all weekend.

But when I go back to work we really need to sit down and talk about this MASSIVE disparity. I do 99% of the cooking (dh simply cannot cook). I pay the bills, earn most of the money, am responsible for almost every aspect of our lives. This is what happens when you marry the person you essentially grew up with (we've bee together since the first week of college) and have evolved into very specific roles. It's difficult now, at 33, to say 'hey, DH, get with the program and start taking your share of responsibility'. Next semester will be such a challenge... I'm teaching over 3 days of the week, looking after DS on the other days, and will have to make up my two days in the evenings and at the weekend.

We're going to need some ground rules.

Sorry for lack of personals.. I am somewhat wallowing, and I'm caught under a sleeping baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.