Mothering Forum banner

December Dingos Run Through the Holidays!

23K views 914 replies 43 participants last post by  Geofizz 
#1 ·
"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, DrJen will probably post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

We've also got a Dingo Cooking Blog(which could use some fresh recipes btw!) and a Dingo group on FB if anyone is interested.

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."

See less See more
#3 ·
I've missed several pages of the November thread, sigh. all of a sudden I have 6 people using what is supposed to be "my" computer, which means little time for me.
things are going okay here, still adjusting. Still having knee pain. had a work out yesterday that was good and sweaty, but no run.

Got some one here, got to go, love to ya ladies.

#4 ·
Hmmm, scheduled for 5 tomorrow. Do I get up even earlier and go 2 on my own first, or do the 2 after the usual 3 with rp?

Hmmmm....

Homeschooling dingo mamas, I'm nearly there. I need some help in organizing my life, figuring out how to proceed, and not keeling over with panic.

#5 ·

As mentioned in the other thread, I need to rethink my cold weather gear. Today it was about 35 when I started. Had a light knit hat, stretch gloves, long sleeve tech shirt, fleece vest, long pants (unusual for me). Warmed up, shed the hat and gloves and had a great 4.5 miles.

Got home to discover that my shirt/vest was a tad short. I could see and feel a strip of flesh about an inch wide on my belly that was COLD. Red and freezing to the touch! Obviously no damage, but a head slapping DOH moment regarding making sure I'm appropriately covered with no gaps. I thought my midsection felt a bit cold!

The good news is that this cold, clear, gorgeous weather is going to continue. I could get used to this as opposed to the dreary rain!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Homeschooling mamas, you have my

I get panicky, just thinking about it, and it's not even something I'm seriously considering
!

Plady, thanks for the new thread.

So, for those of us doing Advent stuff, what did you do with/for your kids today? We're making brownies tonight, after dinner. I vow before my Dingo sisters that I will not eat a single morsel
. I'm within 2 lbs. of my goal weight. The holidays will not get the best of me!

Good to see you again, RM. Sorry your knee is still bothering you. Did you register for the Mini this year?

Off to Hobby Lobby!

#8 ·
:

Next several days are rest days, mandated by Family Geography Night, evening field trip to a telescope, RP's schedule, and dept Christmas party. November closed out with 77 miles. With all my travel this month, I'm hoping for 20. :eyeroll:

Memiles, I've done that. I actually burned myself on a long run last winter. I had that red stripe across my middle for 4 days!

HSers, I'm wondering what it would take us to get there, but I toy with the idea of taking K home between recess and lunch everyday. I know that would never fly with the school though. It probably wouldn't work for DH either.

Lisa, I've been thinking of you and your family. I hope that everyone can find equilibrium in the coming months. I know it can be a long haul. When's grandbaby?
:

#9 ·
hola.
advent day #1: get the boxes o crap out of the attic + enjoy a candy cane for snack.

oh and today's my "day off": vacuum/dust the living room, move loveseat to the basement, paint the trim in the kitchen (blech!), empty the dishwasher, wash 3 loads of laundry, clean the playroom, hit the dentist for a cleaning, scrounge around the attic looking for the advent calendar, now I'm off to fix dinner and put on my college instructor hat for an hour or so.

wwyd: My friend just had a baby. She has two older kids. She's having a "girls night in" this evening at her house. Only she emailed us earlier today to tell us her child #2 woke up from his nap this afternoon with a 102 fever. Kid will be in bed. Do I go?

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
HSers, I'm wondering what it would take us to get there, but I toy with the idea of taking K home between recess and lunch everyday. I know that would never fly with the school though. It probably wouldn't work for DH either.
I'm with you. If I could make it work to homeschool 1/2 day I would in a heart beat. But then again, I also see it not working for your dh (or mine).

#11 ·
Hi Dingoes,

Even though I'm still a newbie to the group I'm already so thankful for your friendship, support, and advice.

All the bra talk in the November thread... someone tell me that your boobs eventually decrease in size!!!!! Jeepers creepers, my boobs are so big relative to the rest of my body. I'm wearing a 34DD or 34DDD in some styles, and in others 36DD. Wowsa. I'm of course wearing the very sexy Bravado bras!

Memiles, that's such a tough situation..

Homeschooling mamas... we're considering it even now as our local school is just a nightmare. Any good resources you could point me to?

I was feeling really run down yesterday and didn't do much of anything. DS is sleeping pretty poorly at the moment. He sleeps for a while in his hammock and then in with us. I love sleeping with him, and sometimes he just comes to bed with me, but I get even less sleep as he likes to attach himself to me for the entire night making it difficult to sleep! The biggest issue is that he really wont nap anywhere but on me, unless I purposely take him for a stroll in his stroller around nap time, or he's riding in the car. It's getting worse. Oh dear. He is such a happy camper, though, so no real complaints (just chronic sleep deprivation which I'm sure you're all very well acquainted with!!).

Today, though, I decided to skip the gym (thus I got to lie in past 3:30am!!) and just did a 10k erg at home. I have to row 200km between TG and Christmas to meet the COncept 2 rowing holiday challenge. Eek. I did feel much better than yesterday, though.

Alex

#12 ·
Yay for the new thread!

RR: I had a happy 3m this morning, despite sleeping in a bit - I was irritated with myself and then figured out I'd just have to shower quickly and skimp a bit on my (lately, mile+) warmup to fit it in. Did .5 to warm up, then ran 3 at a good pace, cooled down, stretched, iced the knee, and still got dd to school on time. I'm so happy to be running again.

My semester's almost over, and I'm so glad. And so tired.

#13 ·
Holy cow, I got in on the first page!

With.... nothing to report. No running this morning; my calves were sore and I didn't want to take the chance of tweaking anything. While DD was at school, I cleaned the house and bought some fruit and set up the coffee to host our weekly playgroup.

It was hectic, although not as much as it could have been. Three other moms were here, so including my two kids there were seven kids. Who got REALLY loud and rowdy. Especially mine, who were playing with their friends and fighting with each other at the same time. We eventually sent them all outside, but they kept coming back.
Playgroup lasted from 12:30 until about 5:15, so I'm wiped out at the moment and trying to get it together to do our December 1st activity, which is a festival of trees about half an hour away. Man, I wish I'd planned a movie night tonight instead.

All right, gotta get things together and get some forward motion of the Christmas season variety.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
My semester's almost over, and I'm so glad. And so tired.
I'm glad for you, of course, but this marks the end of my maternity leave
I am feeling really sad about it. next semester is going to be really tough. Oh mercy, already.

#17 ·
conference done. teacher is great, very supportive and wanting to work with us on the behavior issues. the kid that i think DS is modeling bad behavior from is moving out of the district before the holidays and we're all thinking that this may solve the major issues. and we've strategies to sync DS up with some other kids and start establishing some stronger, more positive friendships.

Academically he is doing great. i think about HSing too, and how we wouldn't have these problems with HSing. But it's a little incompatible with FTWOHM.

Looking forward to showering (didn't after my workout this morning) and having a beer while trying to continue to make progress on the knitted advent calendar. We'll do an abbreviated one this year I think.

#18 ·
Here's the race list for the December thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

mommajb - Hangover Classic 10 miler - January 1
1hautemama - River Roots and Ruts Trail Half Marathon - January 3, 2010
tjsmama - Rock-N-Roll Arizona Marathon - January 17, 2010
tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Duathlon Series - January 23, 2010
grnmtnmama - Singlespeed USA - February 6, 2010
Love My Babies - Five Points of Life Half Marathon - February 14, 2010
tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Duathlon Series - February 20, 2010
ashcav - Hyannis Half Marathon - February 28, 2010
Nickarolaberry - Sarasota Marathon - March 10, 2010
Kayalana - National Half Marathon - March 20, 2010
poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon - March 28, 2010
mommajb - Flying Pig Half Marathon - May 2, 2010
ashcav - Cox Marathon - May 2, 2010
JayGee - Indianapolis Mini Marathon - May 8, 2010
bec - Grandma's Marathon - June 19, 2010

The Preggo Dingo List

Realrellim -
April 2010
VeganCupcake - It's a
, welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog
:

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.

#19 ·
bec - re: garlic - I've been taking a clove a day since I first noticed DD2 getting sick. I cut it into swallow-able pieces, but if you're really hardcore you could just chew it up.
Someone else mentioned vit. D, which I've also been taking, so I don't know which one did the trick, but I pretty much always catch every cold my kids have so something must have worked.

zubeldia - your son has the exact same sleep habits as DD1 had. Exactly, right down to the napping only on me and staying latched on all night. Hang in there, it gets better, mama.

re: homeschooling - so far (and I can see this changing slowly now that my kids are getting older) the hardest part has been the c.o.n.s.t.a.n.t. togetherness.

rr: 6 slow miles. Was a beautiful sunny day and I wore my black shirt so I was nice and toasty.

#20 ·
homeschooling: I don't feel like I should say much as I am not feeling the love but I'm still in with ds1 (13 yo) and dd2 (6 yo) and dd3 and ds2 who are not yet school age.
We began due to the many inadequacies of the public schools here. Dd1 is in 5th grade at our neighborhood school. (This makes me a terrible parent in my own head.) She is happy and working several grade levels behind wher she was at home in everything but math. About half way through this semester she began to cover lessons we had not done at home. This came about after the parent teacher conference several months after she started at the school. My thoughts on the matter is that homeschooling is a way of life and style of parenting much like breastfeeding or the way you feed your family. You can embrace it, do it, and love it or not. CFG - is it being together or the kiddos talking to you all day long?

Race list: I am registered to run the Flying Pig Half on May 2. Thanks drjen for continuing to maintain this list.

The stocking are hung by the chimney with care... December is here, ready or not! I am looking forward to the new year and new goals.

RM, you stay in my thoughts. I hope your dsd is coming along and your knee does to. Keep up the strength training.

memiles
, while reading your post I realized I should tuck in my base layer to avoid the breeze blowing up my shirt. That strip of cold on the midsection is uncomfortable.

kerc, I'd go but most illnesses don't scare me unless I have a race coming up or something else important.

mandy,
that you like the teacher. I hope it makes rough moments smoother (if that makes sense).

bra talk: mine did deflate from bigger than a baby's head to about the size of a baby's fist. I did burn the photo that made dh comment on the size of my friend's baby's head.

la4, I think I am having the world's loudest 7 yo over tomorrow and she comes with three brothers. Urg. Lunch with the loudest kids and their very kind momma. When she has this next baby we'll have to rent a hall to get together for lunch.

Gaye, I can't get daily mile to interface with my facebook. It keeps telling me I need to log into FB and I am? I'm hoping you have an idea or know the trick.

#21 ·
Schools, homeschooling, and finding a decent fit for your kids: cfg, Constant togetherness with little break would be a stopping point for us (DH+DD). Mandy, of course, the >FT WOHM with lotsa travel is a problem here, too. Alex, the scary thing here is that this is the best school in the best district around.

We went to Family Geography Night at the school tonight. Longest. Night. Ever.

Penelope, we're switching to semesters in a few years. One thing I'm really looking forward to is being half done instead of 1/3 done in December. My class' final projects are tomorrow with a department-wide poster session. Then a final exam. Then DONE. Well, done with the class. Not including the 10,000 other things I need to deal with before my conference.

#22 ·
I am impressed with all of you that have actual Advent activities. I have a little calendar that you have a tiny piece of chocolate in when you punch out the right day.

My neighbor was over at my house, visiting this afternoon, when she got a call that her mother in Germany passed away.

#24 ·
Quote:

mommajb~I'm not sure...I just logged out and logged back in, and it's fine. I keep it logged in all the time. Are you clicking the "log in with facebook" button rather than the regular login?

alex~I went from a 38F at the peak of nursing down to a 32D/34C. Of course, I also lost a bunch of weight, so who knows which is actually more of the cause. I do notice that when I gain back a few pounds, it seems to immediately go to my boobs.

RE: advent~I was in World Market today, and picked up an Advent calendar there. I feel kind of
that it's totally pre-fabricated, mass-produced, and filled with candy, but I really didn't have the time to find something better.

We also made a trip to Bed, Bath, & Beyond. I seriously
that store. I got some of my favorite cinnamon-scented pinecones and the house smells ohsogood now!

I really need to do some A&P homework but am having an awfully hard time getting motivated. It's the last freaking unit, get it over with, dummy!

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by memiles View Post
The good news is that this cold, clear, gorgeous weather is going to continue. I could get used to this as opposed to the dreary rain!
It was gorgeous today! I got all misty thinking about missing weather like this while we're in Mexico.

Quote:

Totally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bec View Post
I am impressed with all of you that have actual Advent activities. I have a little calendar that you have a tiny piece of chocolate in when you punch out the right day.

That too. The girls opened it this morning and then all afternoon Alison followed me around saying, "Mismis? Mismis?" and pointing at the thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
the hardest part has been the c.o.n.s.t.a.n.t. togetherness.

Yeah, that's what scares me. I love them so much but if they were both around talking to me all day every day

Gaye - Go do your homework!

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Yeah, that's what scares me. I love them so much but if they were both around talking to me all day every day

This is it exactly. It's that feeling of being constantly pecked that drjen mentioned the other day. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with the way things are working out for us and I wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do over again. It's just that I'm a TOTAL introvert and sometimes I fantasize about a few kid-free hours M-F. Maybe that's why I enjoy running so much?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.