Dingos Take on 2010 at a RUN - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
towson, no TM, huh? I guess I can see the wisdom in that, but in January, bleh. I watch the folks who use the track at the Y and I think, OK, but 20 laps to the mile, oy. I'm not fast, but I still think I'd feel dizzy. That's where it might be cool to get the vffs and do very short bf runs.

I think I may make that a weight loss reward. When my weight gets down to where I don't feel like it's adding extra stress to feet and joints, then I might get some vffs and learn to run bf.

Friend is going to meet me at the Y while both our kids are at Sunday school. Should be good.
#422 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Towson~did they say why?
#423 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 AM

A big hello and happy new year to all the dingos!

I sure have missed you guys! I can't wait to have an hour of uninterrupted screen time to catch up on all the posts I missed over the holidays.

Since I've been such a slacker here I won't even attempt any personals... just jump right in and tell y'all that I really, really want to attempt 1k miles in 2010. It was the only measurable New Year's resolution that I could come up with. I'm sure several (many?) of you manage 1k miles a year, but I think I only had about 500 some odd miles last year, so this would be a big jump for me.

Anyhoo, I still haven't signed up for another race, but I'm eyeballing a 10k to be held in 2 weeks about an hour from here. Not sure about my child-care situation and being gone from home on a Saturday for 4 hours at the least. Otherwise, there's a half-marathon in Regensburg in May 16th that I think I'll sign up for.

And as for life in general, things are still going along alright here in Germany. Dh was here for 3 weeks over the holidays, which was great. The kids are mostly doing better, and a break from school did us all good. It has been snowy and cold, though we missed the extreme winter weather that seemed to hit most everywhere north and west of us.

Did 4 miles in the snow today, and time was pretty decent (44min) despite slippery snowy pathway.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#424 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Towson~did they say why?
I can't remember if they gave reasons. I know that's horrible! Both of them were very adamant though, and they both specialize in treating runners. I ignored the first guy because I pretty much view the TM as a necessity, but I'm going to try to stay away from it for now.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#425 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
towson, no TM, huh? I guess I can see the wisdom in that, but in January, bleh. I watch the folks who use the track at the Y and I think, OK, but 20 laps to the mile, oy. I'm not fast, but I still think I'd feel dizzy. That's where it might be cool to get the vffs and do very short bf runs.
Embrace the Y track! I honestly didn't feel a bit dizzy (I tend to look down rather than forward), and found that I could get in more of a zone than I can on the evil treadmill.

My orthopod told me no treadmill years ago as well. I think part of the problem is that your stride never, ever changes. Outside, and even on the indoor track, you are making subtle changes, and I for one tend to listen to my body better. I've been using it, and definitely can feel my knee issues after a TM run.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#426 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Sorry Academic Dingos! I didn't mean to dis y'all, just reflecting the recent vibe. No offense meant (or taken I hope!)

Mel! Good to see you back, I've been thinking about you with all the headlines I'm seeing about German weather! Glad you're keeping toasty.

Well I wish I was reporting a trip to the track but still no. It's still crazy cold and damp here, totally unusual. In the ten years we lived here we didn't have this many cold damp days in the winter altogether. . Today I may break down and buy some more sweaters, as lame as it feels to buy winter gear south of the Tropic of Cancer!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#427 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 12:57 PM

rr: 13 miles in 15 degree feels like 0 degrees weather. I dressed just right luckily. Put a thin layer of vaseline on my face which really seemed to help. I feel nauseous now though I know I need to eat something but I can't think of anything I can stomach. Ugh.

Memiles, your tattoo

Hi Mel38, good to hear from you!

townsonmama, that's interesting about the TM. I used to avoid it because I hate it but it's become hard for me to do with all the snow we've been getting up here and I've actually found alternating my running surfaces has helped a little. Hmmmm.
#428 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Ugh, my run was this morning. Now I do realize it's not quite like up north, but heck...33 degrees is pretty cold no matter how you slice it. And the wind, hooo boy.

But I did my 9, and pretty fast -- 1:34:19 -- had a little bit of tailwind in the last couple miles to push me along. Even though I was sweating, I still felt cold the whole way. . Wore fleece tights (bought about 15 years ago when we still lived in Boston) a s/s tech tee under my l/s dingo tee (don't think just run) and was definitely not warm enough. When I got back I FINALLY found my polarfleece running vest hidden under dh's coat. So now at least I'll have that for the rest of this freezing cold week.

I kind of feel bad for the Disney marathoners today. It's pretty cold in Orlando too. Especially if you're looking forward to a warm toasty south Florida marathon in January!

I hate the treadmill but would be bummed to not have it as a last resort option sometimes. If we join the Y there is an indoor track there though.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#429 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 02:06 PM

rr~2.5 pain-free miles. Woot! My sock kept sliding down with the new insoles. I had to stop three times to fix it and the last time I accidently tossed my gloves in a pile of snow. Gotta figure out how to make the sock stop slipping...

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#430 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Plady, no prob. I have to say, this Stuff White People Like post made me laugh and then finally I cried a little bit: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...aduate-school/ - the part about spending 6 years in graduate school to make 35K a year and live in the middle of nowhere hit me too close to home. (Nebraska. And it took me ten years.) But - mostly I love it.

Trying to decide whether to run outside. Sick of the TM. It's 15* and supposed to get *slightly* warmer. I only need to do 4m...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#431 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM

rr: Group run today for ~7 miles in 20* weather with wind. This was my longest run since before I was preg! Felt strong but my knees and hip were a bit stiff the last two miles. I know I can run in the cold weather - so it's harder to make excuses! Now to take a shower and think about my grocery list.

Also - just signed up for dailymile.com - it's pretty neat, we'll see if I use it. I know some others are on this - feel free to friend me

Kate - Mom to DD - 10/15/2009
#432 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 PM

I just finished just over 2 miles, although I was disappointed because I thought I had run farther. I felt great and did more running than I have done on my other runs this week. So, it's progress.
#433 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM

memiles - love the tattoo!!

nemesis - I think the increase is definitely doable... you basically have a little over 2 months to increase by 3 miles... maybe spend the first several weeks increasing your LR by 0.5 mi for 2 weeks, then dropping back 1 mile, going super slow, repeat til you get to 6-7 miles, then spend the period before the race adding back the speed a little ... (distance first, then speed). For me going from 3 to ~5 miles was much harder than going from say 15 to 18 miles. I don't know if that was physiological or psychological though

RE: academic jobs - I think the jury is still out for me on if this is the right job for me. I think I'll need to get through this first year to decide! I mostly want to get through the faculty part quickly and move on to administration.... I actually like the political part, but am a little overwhelmed by the research pressure

JENLOVE - hope you see this while on the road - have a safe and fun trip, say hello to AZ for me

A lot of trekking through snow Fri and yesterday, and am SO sore! probably a short run today - it went from 5 degrees this AM to almost 30 now, so I need to take advantage of that and the sunshine

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#434 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM

Winter 1; mommajb 0

I am not handling this extended cold snap (or the rest of my life) well.

I did run yesterday, 4.5 miles. I had planned for more but cut it short, came home crawled into bed. Dh took my shoes off, I made many dashes to the bathroom and then finally got up again this morning. I am wiped and people need me. I have fully slipped into a funk. Maybe I am having a midlife crisis?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#435 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Aw, hon.

What's got you down? Besides the extended cold, which is really disheartening after the first week.

eta, 4m in the snow, not fast, but fun. I feel so outdoorsy now.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#436 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 05:08 PM

mommajb, I don't know why it is, but even at your worst, you post with a sense of humor and make me smile. Whatever it is, midlife, middle of winter blahs, or a creepy virus, may it pass soon and may you be well in every way. If you get the chance to really ask yourself sincerely what you think you need, you might get an honest answer and see what steps you need to take.

I met my friend at the Y while kids were at Sunday school. Ran 3mi @ 10:00min/mi pace for the first time in MONTHS. My friend, a non-runner, impressed me by running 2.25 @ 5.6 or something like that. Had to step off then because the 30min rule was in place (lots of people), so then I did another 25min on an elliptical, working arms hard, too. But wait, there's more. Then we stretched on the mats, then soaked and stretched in the whirlpool, and finally took a sauna before showering and picking up the kids in time for midday prayers. Couldn't get much closer to a perfect way to spend a Sunday morning.

Now I have to make some meals, herd the children through their paces (cleaning, reading, eating) and do some work for The Man (who is, in my case, a woman, but still).

Plady, I'm still envious, even if it is chilly.
#437 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Winter 1; mommajb 0

I am not handling this extended cold snap (or the rest of my life) well.

I did run yesterday, 4.5 miles. I had planned for more but cut it short, came home crawled into bed. Dh took my shoes off, I made many dashes to the bathroom and then finally got up again this morning. I am wiped and people need me. I have fully slipped into a funk. Maybe I am having a midlife crisis?
Do you have a bug? That sounds awful.

Penelope ~ that blog is a hoot ! My whole family is kind of like that, except in the sciences (biology, physics, and engineering) instead of liberal arts. I escaped grad school with a terminal masters. Phew... that was close !

DH took Jacob and Kay to the tubing hill at Paoli Peaks (Indiana's poor excuse for a mountain ) and he just called to say they're having a BLAST! Kirsten and I opted to stay here, grocery shop, and bake muffins for school lunches this week.

No run for me today, but depending on when DH gets home, I may try to sneak in some time on the trainer. I may not be running much, but I've been on my bike out there in the garage a ton . Leg is super achy and numb from yesterday's run. This Tuesday I have an appointment with a new chiro who specializes in sports rehab and ART. Hope he can shed some light on my issues.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#438 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 06:11 PM

mommajb It's time to shake your at winter and show this season who's boss! We're all behind ya!!

#439 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 PM

mommajb

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#440 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Thanks ladies. I am sure it is just winter and illness combined with the weight of the world.

There is a local woman who tends to just shake her head and say, "Parenting is not for wimps." No matter what the age they all have needs and wants. It is much easier to determine which is which the younger the child in question is.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#441 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Thanks ladies. I am sure it is just winter and illness combined with the weight of the world.

There is a local woman who tends to just shake her head and say, "Parenting is not for wimps." No matter what the age they all have needs and wants. It is much easier to determine which is which the younger the child in question is.
Big hugs to you. My preceptor says "parenting is the hardest job you will ever do, by far the most important, and gets harder as you go".

Just an idea if you think winter is getting you down, are you taking Vit D and fish oil? I swear they are keeping me sane this year as it's my only real change from years past. In fact, I'm going to go take some right now!

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#442 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayalana View Post
Also - just signed up for dailymile.com - it's pretty neat, we'll see if I use it. I know some others are on this - feel free to friend me
I friended you! My first me-initiated friending. The link really helped, as I am at a complete loss as to how to find people on these sorts of things!

mommajb - I have been having a rough time, here and there, this season too. Something is just making this winter very hard and depressing. I've been exhausted, and just not feeling up to a lot of my responsibilities. Usually getting OUT for a run totally refreshes me, but it has been too darned cold out for that.

Jo - that sounds like a lovely morning! I'm glad you are enjoying your Y so much!

Well, Katie has a couple of impacted teeth, so that is likely going to mean orthodontics rather sooner than anticipated. Our dental insurance does not cover much, so we'll have to see.

I got to TBC this morning with my friend, and there were a lot of people from tri class or other acquaintances taking it, so that was nice.

Oh, and I just sent DH to the running store to be fitted with running shoes! He is on week 2 of C25k, but was having some shin pain today.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#443 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Did my little 2.5 mile loop

mommajb

Gaye - what is this about a tempo run, hmmm??? aren't you supposed to be tapering!! jk, sounds like you are in good shape and ready to rock and roll

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#444 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Oh my goodness, dingoes, THANK YOU for the support, because I was about to relent and agree to this extra work but your words knocked some sense into me. Thank you for the empathy. it goes an awful long way. I have a good friend in the department who is pressuring me to take on this work, and she shared with me that she had received the same pressure but for a different role in the project. She said 'no' and told me to do likewise. So I'm going to just run the other way... graciously.

The transition back to work is huge. I know the next couple of weeks will be especially tough. The nanny is great, though, and has said that she'll help me by sending photos, texts, etc. I could be a very annoying mama!

Plady, you're not wrong in pointing out the shortcomings of academia. I find the politics especially repellent. It's not my cup of tea at all.. but of course as geo and others have pointed out, there are upsides.. including the almost 4 month summer break ... and tenure People in academia, thanks for reminding me of the good stuff, too.

Penelope, that blog is too funny! Mercy, it's very funny when you see your self parodied (is that the right word?)

oh, mommajb, I am so sorry you're having a difficult time You're such a lovely, lovely mama and I'm hoping that both the weather and your spirit lifts soon.

Interesting stuff on dreadmills. I have definitely found that my foot hurts more when I use the treadmill.. and the repetition thesis makes a lot of sense.

Katy, I'm on dailymile, too. I have no idea how to find people so I'll follow your link. Bec, how do I find you? I'm friends with a few people already...

Yesterday a quick evening row, and this morning I did my first speed session. I use the word 'speed' loosely It was 4x800m (with a 10 seconds walk after 400 meters.. I think Galloway is really into the walking breaks). I did them at 8:06 mins pace speeding up to 8mins pace for the final 400 meters in each interval. I felt good and had more speed in there. It's quite humbling to be back to running and at much slower paces, but oddly it's more fun. Not much pressure, etc.

DS has his 6 month shots tomorrow. I am not excited about it

Thanks everyone.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#445 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayalana View Post
rr: Group run today for ~7 miles in 20* weather with wind. This was my longest run since before I was preg! Felt strong but my knees and hip were a bit stiff the last two miles. I know I can run in the cold weather - so it's harder to make excuses! Now to take a shower and think about my grocery list.

I friended you too. I need to seek out the other dingos on DM and do me some more friending!

#446 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 PM

FM: Not supposed to be a run day, but I threw a pair of Smart Feet into my running shoes to see what it did for the bit of aching I've been having in my knee. Felt good enough do a mile on the Y track and discovered it's a good way to do some short sprints. Followed with a nice 45 minutes on the spin bike and some abs and pushups. All in all the workout felt great, far better than yesterday's crappy run.

#447 of 1354 Old 01-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Hi all - I'm home from my GA trip and have updated my blog with the tale. The short story is that the snow on Thursday night made the mountain roads too treacherous and my race was cancelled, but I still ended up with a nice weekend, lots of girl time and a good ride.

Alex - best wishes on your return to work. you can do it and it will be fine. it took me a few months to really get into the routine of working, so don't expect that you'll be all fine and pro at it immediately. but you will survive, the baby will thrive and life will be good.

time to relax!
#448 of 1354 Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Bec, how do I find you? I'm friends with a few people already...
Um, maybe here? I think that should work! Let me know if it doesn't

And, good for you for finding the strength to say no! I have a hard time doing that, simply because I'm one of the few SAHM's left among my circle of friends, neighbors and acquaintances. It seems like people assume that because I'm home, I'm always available.

DrJen - Can you put Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon on the calendar for me? It's on March 7. My first tri!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#449 of 1354 Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 AM

I can't remember who posted the cranberry pork roast, but YUMMMMMM! Thank you!

Alex, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. It's going to be harder on you than it is on him, not that it makes it any easier. I'm proud of you for setting your boundaries and taking this one step at a time.

#450 of 1354 Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 AM

memiles - that tat is absolutely beautiful! And I may have seen my fair share of tatoos watching LA Ink with DH.

zubeldia - good for you for standing up for yourself and saying no.

mommajb- I hope you're feeling better by now.

drjen - can you add me for the Surf City half on Feb. 7? I completely forgot about signing up for this ages ago until I just saw an ad for it in RW.

rr: 11 miles on The Mountain. Man, running up there kicks my butt! I need to come up with a name for that place. I was thinking of calling it The Devil but that's a bit too menacing, I think. DH suggested Godzilla. Hmm. It's not really that tall. DD2 suggested The Punisher. Maybe all these are too negative? That is how I feel running there, though. I pretty much hate every step of it yet I keep going back...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page