Dingos Take on 2010 at a RUN - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BBM

All I can say is, that sucks. And like the others, having been through some terrible times with dh, I hope he wakes up and you get through it. Sending you

Plady, for Chiara. I can't stand mean kids, and reading that gave me bad flashbacks to my own school days...I just have no tolerance for like that.

at the cracker in the diaper.

Dh (4) still loves his bath. Mainly he enjoys using his tugboats to flood the bathroom, but hey, I'll take what I can get. This way I never have to mop the bathroom.

Feeling pretty under the weather today, not sure if I'll get a run in.

GO GAYE GO!!!!!!!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#602 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Gaye, I read your post and got a twinge of nerves on your behalf.

kanga, how many goats and what kind? I think my goats were my last thought last night.

Barn chores early, then workout, then office and home by 1215, feed kids and take them for Friday prayers, then home to finish up work still left hanging. Hoping for 45min of something relatively easy plus weights. Then run longer tomorrow if I get the chance, and Sunday "spa" day.

bbm, again, I have been right where you're standing now.
#603 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM

BBM. I'm so sorry. In your shoes, I would probably call the prescribing doctor - he can't disclose confidential info, but he can (and should) listen to you express concern.

Gaye, have a great marathon!!!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#604 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Penelope I actually thought about that and I know that he can't tell me anything and I don't want or need him to. But he is practicing unethically and stupidly. And then dh is being stupid too. He emailed this morning minimizing his drinking amount and saying he thought it interacted with his meds but that he hadn't had any since the morning so he didn't think a little wine would hurt. I called him on it. We'll see how he responds.
#605 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 10:30 AM

BBM, I saw you edited the orig post but I have a pretty good idea.... mama, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

Put me in for seriously considering Disney to do the Goofy. I don't know if my whole fam would come...my ILs live about 3 hours from there so we might bc it's not such a big deal to stay there for a night or two vs the whole big Dizz vacation. There's also a great hotel that's not in the park that we've stayed at twice. I ran the full in 2005 and it's pretty cool. I am going to sign up for a marathon in November, so would be in pretty good shape to run Goofy. Or is that insane? someone tell me.....

must get out there and pound it out today....yesterday was a crazy hospital visit day plus I found out that a Lutheran seminarian died in Haiti. I had met him at some thing or another but there are so many connections. Also, a big group from a former congregation was there when it happened. Lutherans are all over Haiti and so it really hurts to hear about churches that we've given money to help build and are now flattened. I gave some $$ but wish there was more to do. anyway I am hoping for a relatively long contemplative run.
#606 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM

tjsmama - in case I don't get back to say it again, I know you'll rock this marathon! Wish I was there, too.

mommajb - when you're kids are little, the days are so long, but the years are so short. Keep plugging along.

Nick - I had to laugh at the thought of your "dh" playing with his tugboats in the bathtub. I'm assuming that's your ds, no?

Disney 2011. Hmm. So tempting. I would want to do it as a family trip, though, and don't know how well it would work, since dd is in high school now and little ds hates to miss school, too. I turn 40 in Feb 2011, so I'm tempted to say that's what I want for my birthday! The other big downside is training for a marathon in the late fall/winter here in IL. I've been so impressed that Gaye managed it in a cold climate, but fear I don't have her constituion (or her running friends to help me through it!) I've run as much as 13 miles on the treadmill in the past, but I don't know about doing 18 and 20 milers on it.

RR - I did get my 4 in last night, and felt very virtuous about it. I'm going to try for 4 more tonight, because tomorrow is probably out. Justin has the state lego robotics competition tomorrow and we have to leave here at 5 am.
#607 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 AM

BBM I missed your post but wanted to give you a

Re: Disney ~ do I have to run a marathon or can I just do fun stuff and cheer you guys on

Dh stuff ~ we have been through some pretty rough times as well. Thankfully right now things are really good. Better than they have been in a long time. I think we are both really trying and it is actually making a difference.

TV and children ~ yuck! It makes mine zombies when they watch it and crazy people after it is turned off. I try to avoid it, but dh is the worst about using it to keep them out of his hair if he wants to do something.
#608 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 AM

gaye - can't wait to hear about your race!

zub - I saw the cute fb pic. Glad that your nanny is working out. How did things go on your full working day?
Doing 5 miles and a group strength class sounds HARD. I bet you were sore!

towsonmama - good luck with your recovery. We live not too far from each other - I am in Ffx VA.

knangamitroo - I love that you have goats! We had a couple nubians and an Angora goat as pets when I was a kid, and my sister and I had to feed and milk them. They are the funniest animals. I want to check out that Goatsong book y'all gave been talking about.

rr: 3.5 miles, 30* no wind. Mood kinda low initially - worrying about career a lot I have this weird approach-avoidance thing going on here.

Baby news: DD has taken several bottles of ebm this week - whoo hoo. She drinks slowly though, Granny bought her some new little toys since she is really taking off with her hands.

Kate - Mom to DD - 10/15/2009
#609 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 PM

BBM, . I didn't see the post but I get the idea. We have been thru some pretty dark times: dh not working, depression, several therapists, 10s of thousands of dollars on therapy, books, etc. We split in 08 for about 6 mos when I rented my own place. I don't know why it took him so long but he finally did come out of it exactly one year ago last Nov, a day that I will never forget which culminated in days of crying from a man who never cried and never said he was sorry. I am scarred in some ways but I am also a stronger person I think. He is productively working now and it makes ALL the difference. I still have a plethora of books I can share if you're interested - two copies of some. Honestly, if I can listen or share or do anything, I'm here.

Feb is our bad month- every year he gets so depresssed in Feb it makes me crazy. This year, I am planning some out of town trips so I don't get sucked into it, but maybe it will be different this time around.

Man flu? I'll have to look that up.

Geo, one more time. What was the name of that travel game that took you thru Duluth?

Stinky kids. Mine loved the bath together time, too. It mustve been the together time, bc they're not interested now.

Haiti: I wish I could go, too. Dh & I have been talking at length during dinner about the country, keeping the boys in the loop. If I were single and w/o kids... Last night, bringing in wood for the stove, I found myself so thankful for having wood to carry and a stove to burn it in and an old falling-down cabin to keep warm.

Mamabeth, for your Lutheran friends who are down there. If I can do anything, let me know.

Gaye, coli . I'll be cheering you on. I'm so excited for you.

Plady, that just stinks. Poor Chiara. Those jerks. She's an awesome kid. I like MommaJB's advice, wise woman that she is. Write an email.

MommaJB, Maybe it's cyclical. At least I get that overwhelmed by life feeling cyclically, or so it seems. That's why I keep very dark chocolate hidden. I also cook with coconut oil. Have you ever heard anything about that? I'm a believer that fat makes us feel better, in our minds and bodies, so we are liberal with butter and coconut oil around here. I like to make brownies with coconut oil and maple syrup. Maybe it's all in my head, tho.

I also am a believer in how bad sugar makes us feel so we are liberal with the maple syrup and raw honey around here. Of course, I'll take as many precautions as possible with dh's history, in a food control, non-meds kind of way.

Love y'all!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#610 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM

dh has antibiotics and has gone to work because it is easier than staying home.

His wisdom tooth extraction was done last Wednesday, I sent him to the dentist's office on Monday and Tuesday this week he was being such a baby and there was no problem. The office is closed on Fridays and there obviously was a problem this morning. Grrr.

Anyway, in his absence, my day is moving forward.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#611 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Zub - Good luck today!

BBM -

DrJen - 40 sounds like the perfect excuse for a Disney trip! It's Jan. 9 just for the record. Also, since it's so early in Jan, you'd be tapering down by mid December and it won't be that chilly by then!
And that quote - the days are long but the years are short - so true! Really, that is exactly how it is isn't it?

MB - What's the great non-Disney hotel?

I'm really feeling like I should do this, dh is even thinking maybe too. He was talking about doing the Vancouver Mary in May though and I'm afraid that if he goes for that he'll blow out all his motivation to do another, at least so soon after. I'll keep working on him to spend longer training.

Mommajb - I'm glad your dh is out of the house, sorry he's having complications and passing them on to you. that this passes sooner rather than later.

Re: school, Mommajb you asked what I'd do if we couldn't just pull her out right? Honestly It would SUCK. I knew before but had forgotten that the staff at this school is hands-off to the point of being totally irresponsible and that they are not at all amenable to being questioned about it. So, I don't know. I think that if it was a long term thing we wouldn't have put her in at all (which was the choice we made back in 2007) and this time we were fooled by the new school location and the fact that they offered transportation and thinking how bad could it be for such a short time - obviously a bad call. But then I heard yesterday that a friend's son who goes to Chiara's old school here, which is a fairly snooty private school, was held down and beaten up by three boys at recess (during which kids from 1st through 9th are all outside together) and he got in trouble for fighting back. So what do you do with that? I guess we were right on the money when we left because the school options were so bad. So anyway, live and relearn. Now we're looking at a program that one of the Spanish schools offers for kids. It's 4 hours a day of grammar/chitchat about Mexican history and culture and then arts and crafts and cooking lessons. It's more targeted to the privileged visiting kids but at this time of year she would be the only student and she kind of loves one on one time with teachers anyway. So we'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

Lofty - SMA?

I hope everyone has a good day today.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#612 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 PM

zub ~ you inspired me this morning and after my short run, I jumped on the erg for 15 minutes. That was all I could handle ! And to think I used to row on the erg for 1-2 hours at a stretch in college!

Plady ~ I think you're doing the right thing by taking Chiara out. That school sounds unpleasant, to say the least. I understand the "hands off" approach, but not to the point of being irresponsible.

Still thinking of you BBM .

Great news on the knee/leg thing! I ran 3.25 this morning with no pain. A little numbness, but no pain!!!!! I *think* the ART is working !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#613 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Plady, hey I know that school where the snooty gringos go. I love it. (not the violent one - the crafty one) I love those sisters that run it, too. Hmmm...should I check my education budget? . How much longer are you there? Not sure I'd really want to stay outside of town at cousin's even if they were okay with it, tho.

Am seriously considering a trip to mil's today to one: get a city boost & two: get in a run WITH dh for a change.

JayGee, yay for pain-free runs.

#614 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 02:36 PM

I'm in bed with stomach flu. Dh took the day off to take care of the kids, bless his heart. Woke up at midnight with ds3 having stomach pains but not vomiting or other end. Got him back to sleep and then dh tells me that ds2 was throwing up around 11:30p. By 2am, my stomach starts with nausea. Poor ds2's party was supposed to be tomorrow. In my weakened state I was calling all the families to reschedule. Hope we are on the mend soon, and that the other three don't get it!

Is that possible??

BBM~I didn't see the post as this is the first time I'm on, but sounds like bad times. mama, I'm here too if you need to talk. It's encouraging to hear several other mamas here that are on the healing side of bad times.

Okay, bathroom calling.........
#615 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Hooray for pain-free runs, jaygee!

rm~ and

rr~2 easy miles. And for as much as I was paranoid and ready to nitpick every little thing that felt weird or hurt, they were pretty good. My stomach is kind of a nervous wreck. My normal breakfast didn't sit very well this morning, which doesn't bode very well for Sunday!

I have now officially trained for a marathon. I can't believe it. I have to admit, I'm actually crying a little bit at the thought.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#616 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
I have now officially trained for a marathon. I can't believe it. I have to admit, I'm actually crying a little bit at the thought.
awww, boy do I remember that feeling. Isn't it wonderful? I was so nervous that I posted my good luck notes all around the hotel room. I'll send you notes on FB. I'm so excited for you. Training for a marathon is a MAJOR accomplishment especially considering single-parenting AND school! YAY!

#617 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Bailed on weights to make it in with enough time to finish the project I had for today. And it was the right thing to do. Now, off to Friday prayers with kids in tow, then back here and into the sh!tkickers for an afternoon of barn cleaning fun.
#618 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Gaye! I can't believe this is already M-weekend! How time flies. Have a great time, you are going to rock it!!

DrJen: I hope you can get a Disney trip for your birthday! Sounds like a great occasion for it. And congratulations to your ds for that awesome score on his project! Your kids sound so cool!

About the Disney marathon - a podcast that I listen to (Running to Disney) has 2 episodes dedicated to this marathon, about transportation, the course, and a bunch of other related stuff like where your family can stand to see you come by. It's about 2 hours of listening, but in case anyone is interested, it is episodes 41 and 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysmom View Post
Re: Disney ~ do I have to run a marathon or can I just do fun stuff and cheer you guys on
Oh yeah! A dingo cheering section!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayalana View Post
Baby news: DD has taken several bottles of ebm this week - whoo hoo. She drinks slowly though, Granny bought her some new little toys since she is really taking off with her hands.
Yeah, that's great. She's probably just getting used to the nipple, but it sounds like you found just the right time to introduce the bottle.

Loft: sounds like a good idea to keep busy during february. About the fats, I've heard lots about coconut oil but still haven't tried it myself. I've heard that it is solid?

Mommajb: to you. My dh is kind of like that, too. Just a tad. It's just so hard to be sympathetic with someone when it seems that they are being so ... wimpy.

RunningMommy: Oh no!! I hope you are feeling better soon and that everyone else stays healthy.

Plady: that sounds like a terrible school situation! How irresponsible of the teachers to allow that kind of stuff to go on. I don't blame you one bit for pulling your dd out of there, it sounds horrible.

JayGee: Woohoo!! That's great news about your knee!

I am adding fish oil to my diet starting today. My mood has been not so great lately - I'm feeling stressed out (it must be something in the air!) and crabby with the kids.

RR: 5 awesome miles along the canal today. A little over half was on a snowy, packed path. It really made me feel great and get me into a better frame of mind.

Now I'm going to watch an old episode of Little House on the Prairie before sending the kids to bed.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#619 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 05:07 PM

I've found fish oil to help quite a bit, especially in the winter. I haven't been taking it as regularly this year as I should, thanks for the reminder!

Weights today. Nothing too hard since I'm still working hard on increasing run time this week.
#620 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 05:34 PM

Gaye - thought of a few things to tell you!

not sure what you're doing about AM gear to keep you warm, but most people buy cheapo sweats at goodwill and then throw them off at the beginning. There are a lot of homeless people that come out after the race and take most of the clothing. That is what I did because the race is so big I didn't want to deal w/ gear check and because I felt like I was making a donation of warm clothes

What are your transportation plans? the traffic is a big huge cluster*%$@ at both ends and lots of roads/interstate exits are blocked so leave plenty of time for that.

The race starts out w/ an almost imperceptible downgrade that can trick you into going out too fast... I didn't even notice the incline around camelback mtn that showed up on the elevation chart, but then when you get to mile 22 and 23 or so, there are a couple small inclines and a bridge that felt a tiny bit bad coming so late, but someone had told me about it so I was mentally ready

there are tons of team in training folks and gallowalkers running as groups, so you have to spend the first few miles dodging them to some extent. But I did amuse myself counting the number of people who had programed their garmins to beep every certain run/walk interval. Everyone was extremely friendly and it was easy to latch on to a person or group running at my pace if I wanted to talk for diversion.

Not sure if you're planning to drink gatorade, but they only usually have accelerade which takes weird to me so fyi... they have gels around mile 18 I think - some have caffeine if you want them. I noticed that the water stops were pretty long, so you can go towards the end of each to avoid some of the crowd.

Look for salt around mile 20!!!

You are going to do awesome!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#621 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM

Thanks so much, Callie! That's awesome! I did buy a goodwill sweatshirt to wear until I get warmed up and then toss (although I'll still do gear check, at least for my phone and maybe a change of clothes for afterward). My friend is going to drop me at the start...any advice on how/when/where to do that would be awesome. I had an offer to stay at a friend's hotel near the start the night before, but I'd really rather not and Valerie didn't seem to mind dropping me off, so I think that's what I'm going to do. You're probably at least the 5th person to warn me about going out too fast. My friend Sonja actually challenged me to run the last 6 faster than the first 6. My main goal is just to finish and go under 5 hours, but I'd really like to go 4:45 or under. My plan is to go out no faster than 11 min pace for the first 6 miles, pick it up a little bit for the next 12 miles, and then drop after 18 if I feel up to it. I'm glad you warned me about the hill!!! They have cytomax on the course this year and I tested it out on my 20 miler. I didn't love it, but it was fine. I can't really decide when/how I want to do cytomax vs. water, though. How will I know if I need salt? Will it just sound really really good?

ETA:
Holy crap. I just watched the course preview video, and I totally got chills.

Callie, I thought of another question...do you have any suggestions or recommendations on spectating for my friend? Any good spots?

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#622 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
bec

I'm several pages behind. It's been a bad technology week for me. The day after my phone broke, my computer went belly up. Just would not turn on. DH says it's a hardware failure. The upside of this is that it is still under warranty for another 3 weeks! So, we need to send it to Toshiba to get fixed. After a day, DH fixed me up with his 6+ year old laptop, so I can still have my internet fix, without burning my eyes out trying to surf on my iPhone. Today, however, the television/computer service for the house totally crapped out. It was gone for most of the day. But, I'm back up!

Gaye - I'm thinking of you!!! You are going to amazing in your marathon!!!

FMR: I had zumba this morning, and then headed up to do some speedwork. Had a total of about 2.5 miles. Tomorrow, I'm planning on running with the running club, and then zumba! Sunday is spin class!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#623 of 1354 Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Gaye - I'm so excited for you! You've been so disciplined and serious about your training. You should be so proud of yourself for getting here and being so prepared. I can't wait to read a 26.2 mile long race report!

#624 of 1354 Old 01-16-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I'm several pages behind. It's been a bad technology week for me. The day after my phone broke, my computer went belly up. Just would not turn on. DH says it's a hardware failure. The upside of this is that it is still under warranty for another 3 weeks! So, we need to send it to Toshiba to get fixed. After a day, DH fixed me up with his 6+ year old laptop, so I can still have my internet fix, without burning my eyes out trying to surf on my iPhone. Today, however, the television/computer service for the house totally crapped out. It was gone for most of the day. But, I'm back up!
and That is what a Mercury Retrograde is all about... for those of you who find planetary movements interesting...

oh and Coconut Oil is solid if it's cold and liquid if it's warm. I melt mine or leave it in a warm place. If you're making chocolate with it, then it's best to put it in the freezer and it will literally melt in your mouth. lately i've been making granola with coconut oil (and honey or maple syrup) and it is super scrumptious!

Thinking of GAYE!!!!

#625 of 1354 Old 01-16-2010, 06:21 AM

You guys, I need some dingo virtual love sent to my dear friend Misty. Her 5 year old little boy, Lucas, died in our emergency room just after midnight today. He had severe cerebral palsy and mental retardation, and had been sick with what seemed like a respiratory virus. They called me to tell him they were taking him to the ER, and a little while later the ER doc called to tell me he'd had a respiratory arrest, followed by cardiac arrest, and they were unable to resuscitate him. They have 3 other children a 7 yr old girl, a 3 yr old boy, and a 19 month old boy, and they are expecting a baby in the end of March. I feel so terrible for this family - and I know they are just getting home now, and have to wake up their kids and tell them their brother is gone. I'd appreciate all the virtual hugs you can send their way. Thankfully, despite all his physical problems, Lucas was the most loved little guy, and he never knew anything but love in his short life.
RIP, little guy.
#626 of 1354 Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 AM

for Lucas and his entire family. Very, very sad.

I'm going to one of my women's running group "Excellent Adventures" this morning. Apparently we've had over 40 RSVPs, so it should be very fun! I can't wait to see what our leader has in store for us today .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#627 of 1354 Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 AM

Holding them in prayer.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#628 of 1354 Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 AM

RIP Lucas and for the family.
#629 of 1354 Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Lucas. That is so sad but I'm glad he had a sweet life full of love.

#630 of 1354 Old 01-16-2010, 11:38 AM

Oh, how sad. I hope they are able to find peace.

Today is another run increase. I'm suppose to run tomorrow, also, but I usually only run 3 days a week while I'm increasing so much. Is that a bad idea? Hmm... I might try it and see if it makes next week's increase easier.

I wish I could go stay in a cabin in the woods for a few days, things have been so overwhelming here lately. The financial woes haven't had any sort of resolution and we are still unable to get a car. Yesterday I applied at McDonald's. Yuck.

I hope my run will be a good one today.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page