Dingos Take on 2010 at a RUN - Page 25 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#721 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 12:48 PM
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have tri class tonight. We're going to be swimming. Even though I did not put many miles in this week (the longest was about 3 miles outside on Saturday), it was a really active week, so I'm pleased with my exercise.

I'm going to see if I can get some more miles in, but I've been so sick of this weather, and I'm so tired of my indoor options, it's been hard for me to motivate myself to get them done. But, February is fast approaching, so I need to get out of my no running funk soon!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#722 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Up to post 650

DrJen for little Lucas. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for them.

Nemesis: I hope you get the job!

zubeldia - So sorry you and the babe has such a tough day on Friday.

Penelope - Hopefully things get better from here.

Did 2 on the treadmill this morning. Brought the little girls downtown to my employer sponsored back up daycare. Good news, no one threw up and they seem to be enjoying it more. Back to read some more about Gaye's marathon experience.....
#723 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Gaye Awesome Race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#724 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I'm on a strict deadline this morning: write two lectures, one syllabi and one lab. Then I can get out and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having before heading home. Think I can do it?
Totally! Go, go, go!

Gaye ~ How are you feeling?

Did a short round of yoga while Val stood against my leg and brought me books to read to her. OM....oh the wonderful sounds Mr. Brown can do.... breathe!

Then we went on a short family walk, had smoothies, and now it's quiet time (minus the chain saw going next door!)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#725 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Ow.

Ok, it's actually not *too* too terrible. My quads are way sore. My foot is a little sore. Various other twinge-y type pains, but nothing major. The weird thing is that my *skin* is sore! As in, I was washing my arms in the shower this morning and touched my upper arm and was like "OUCH!".

I'm really, really tired, that's for sure. I'm at the airport heading home, and all I want to do when I get home is take a nap, but XH wants me to pick up DS and the dog on my way home. So not only do I have to get myself and *my* stuff up the stairs, but I'll have to get them up the stairs, too. DS is definitely going to at least be confined to his room for a couple of hours this afternoon, whether he naps or not. I have no desire at this moment to do any physical activity whatsoever anytime soon. Good thing I have a race on Saturday!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#726 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Ow.
I hope you took some ibu before the flight? I wonder why the sore skin?? Referred pain, or maybe you got some rays out there. And about ds... I hope he takes a nap for you.

I ran my first interval training. 5 repeats of 400 m at 5k pace. I haven't checked my garmin yet though to see really what my pace was, cause I haven't figured out how to program in a target pace. Sheesh, I should read the instructions one of these days.

Shopping for a nice vest to run in. Any suggestions? Preferably not fleece, though that would be ok too. Just something to block the wind, zip up the front style.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#727 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM

CONGRATS GAYE!!!!!!!!!! I remember getting in the hot tub at the hotel and suddenly noticing chafing in WEIRD places. But you are a MARATHONER!

We did a sleepover for dd at a hotel near us (my mom's b'day present) and I am wiped. I am hoping this is temporary bc I am just super unmotivated and I need to do six million things today while kids are off. We'll see. I am running 2x tomorrow and dh doesn't come home til tonight, so I'm not too worried about a run today except I thought maybe it would make the cobwebs go away! oh well.

Did I mention I'm going to Sundance on Thursday? Holy crap.
#728 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post

Um, I don't think so. More info, please. Sundance, as in films and Utah? Or Sundance as in sweatlodges and New Mexico (I think.)

plady, I wing my ingredient swaps. I've gotten rather "bad" about nor measuring at all.

I have a really terrible crick in my neck that makes it painful and difficult to look left. Yesterday, we hauled and shoveled and spread bluestone to repair our driveway. I'm so relieved that it's finally done but Oy! I hurt!

TKD tonight if I cab turny neck.

Oh and Gaye, sorry about the pain. It must be a good pain. I remember flying back to Tx the next day from my Mary in AK. My legs hirt so much on that flight. Say yes to ibuprofen.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#729 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

I have a really terrible crick in my neck that makes it painful and difficult to look left. Yesterday, we hauled and shoveled and spread bluestone to repair our driveway. I'm so relieved that it's finally done but Oy! I hurt!
And I have one if I turn to the right. No reason for mine tho...

s for all the ouchies

#730 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 02:51 PM

Gaye - that ds sleeps for you. I remember that feeling.

Lofty - Have you tried to massage the crick with a tennis ball? I found that sitting int he car is the best place to reach my neck crick spot.

I ran 3 miles in 32:50 today which is of course, sub 11:00 miles! I know that is S L O W for most of y'all but for me that is about as fast as I ever ran when I was running all the time. i'm thinking that taking the time to do the weight training is actually showing some real benefits now! I'm pretty psyched, especially since today I had resigned myself to it being a long slow run because both I and RP felt like big fat turtles out there.

MB - THat's so exciting about SUNDANCE! I remember you mentioning it back when your movie was first showing and now it's here! Wow! Have a BLAST!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#731 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 PM

one class finished for the day.
one yet to go.
plus I just remembered three different reference requests from various students (rolling my eyes because it is not in my job description).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#732 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 03:47 PM

What an amazing bunch of women here. Just sayin.

Gaye, I remember sore skin and actually quite a bit of upper body fatigue, I think just from trying to maintain some semblance of form past mile 22. You'll be amazed how soon you'll be feeling great again.

mamabeth, that is really cool. What an experience.

kerc, ambitious, but I'll bet you meet your goal.

I almost talked myself out of working out, but in the end decided on an easy workout and did 2.5mi on the tm, walking between 4 and 7% incline, then 8mi on the bike. Watched trash tv. Now I'm having lunch and doing some of my own writing until work calls. Looking like a much lower-key week than last was, though I did get a call from school that dd got hit by a flying chunk of ice on the playground.
#733 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Yay, I figured out defriending on daily mile! You have to go to the friend's profile page and then it shows up on the left to remove as friend (thanks mommajb!!)

In other news, working my butt off today, so I better get back to that . . .
#734 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 04:54 PM

I need to get on that daily mile again. I have my workouts recorded on my phone, but it won't record TM mileage accurately so I need a place to track everything.

Yes, Sundance for our movie. I have my dresses (two premieres this time, one at night and one daytime) and a parka, and we are going to SKI a day! Any tips for not getting windburn???? Now that we've been to one festival I feel like I have a better idea of what to expect. I don't think there are any more so I'm going to try to enjoy the heck out of it. And get another goodie bag.
#735 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM

mamabeth~How cool!

plady~Woot! for weightlifting results.

bec~A tri class sounds like so much fun! Jealous.

rr~I've been a naughty, naughty girl. 3.5 TM miles. Shhh...don't tell my doc. But, seriously, what's a girl to do when she's stuck at home with three little ones? I walked over half of it and ran at 5.5 mph so it was barely even a workout. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#736 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM

Mamabeth, that is so cool. Will you get to see all kinds of celebrities?
#737 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Mamabeh, That is so cool! How exciting. Let me know what's in your goody bag. When I lived in Austin, my neighbor made brownies for the goody bag and got to go & bring some back. They rock!!

Thanks for the advice on my neck. It's a little better. I need to try the tennis ball trick and a heat pad.

JenLove, I think I remember getting cricks more often from slinging my babies. Hope you're better.

On my way home I saw one of those big logging trucks flipped. All my life, having driven behind them, they have scared me. Now that I've seen the huge mess it makes, logs everywhere, truck on it's side, I will keep an even bigger distance even if it makese late. There was no ambulance and it appeared no one was invlved or hurt. Phew!

#738 of 1354 Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM

Lofty can you hook me up with some coconut oil brownies? Err, the recipe to them?

Conversation in the works for summer camping trip -- check your yahoo group email if you want in.

Today I left work at 215. I needed about 15 more minutes to get in a decent ski by myself. Instead when I got home I asked dh if he was up for taking our girls out to this place ~30 minutes away that they LOVE to ski. Sooooo I got my 35 minutes by myself, 25 minutes xc skiing at sunset with my big girl. My little girl got some decent xc skiing in with her papa and we all had a day. Making time for the now in my life worked. WOOT!

And then I had mamasana this evening .... yoga for moms. It is a once a week class for moms. Turns out it's a big old reunion from my prenatal yoga class.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#739 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Lofty can you hook me up with some coconut oil brownies? Err, the recipe to them?

Conversation in the works for summer camping trip -- check your yahoo group email if you want in.

Today I left work at 215. I needed about 15 more minutes to get in a decent ski by myself. Instead when I got home I asked dh if he was up for taking our girls out to this place ~30 minutes away that they LOVE to ski. Sooooo I got my 35 minutes by myself, 25 minutes xc skiing at sunset with my big girl. My little girl got some decent xc skiing in with her papa and we all had a day. Making time for the now in my life worked. WOOT!

And then I had mamasana this evening .... yoga for moms. It is a once a week class for moms. Turns out it's a big old reunion from my prenatal yoga class.
of course. It will be a great excuse to make the recipe one more time and write it down.

looks like you had a great day. All that skiing with family after a productive day working sounds wonderful!

#740 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
CONGRATS GAYE!!!!!!!!!! I remember getting in the hot tub at the hotel and suddenly noticing chafing in WEIRD places. But you are a MARATHONER!
O.M.G. Yes. Yes. yes. I definitely should have bodyglided more of the boob-ish area. I hit my normal spots, but got chafed all over, including a lovely red line all the way across my rib cage in front. And some other minor (thankfully) chafing in areas that are just TMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth
That is SOOOOOOO cool!

Ok, so I swore I was going to bed early tonight, and here it is 10:30 and I'm not in bed. But it's kind of for a good reason. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Valerie, the friend I stayed with this weekend. Talking her down from her freak-out because she got inspired by me and signed up for the Denver half-marathon! How cool is that? She's starting from scratch, but she's got 9 months, she can totally do it!

She called while I was trying to get my blog post written. A lot of it is repetition from my race report here, but some new stuff, and lots of pictures. www.thebeckmans.com if you want to check it out.

No running tomorrow (and still no desire to!), but I am going to our usual run meet-up to meet one of my friends who's having shin splints, so I can do an eval and try taping her arch to see if it helps. She's signed up for a march half, so we need to get her back in shape!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#741 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 AM

Gaye, I'm so proud of you! And look at you inspiring people left and right!

Mamabeth, that's awesome! We need a full Festival Report afterwards!

My day yesterday was tiring and full of randomness, but it worked out ok - a good MLK event, a great class, a shiny new haircut, but then I missed a meeting and the dean's secretary sent me a really angry email and I freaked the hell out, just freaked out and had totally talked myself into a bad place. Like, I'm gonna lose my job, you know - kind of crazy stuff. (We have a lot of administrative change going on, and someone spoke out of turn to me and suggested that programs are going to get dropped, so it's not a totally irrational fear, although I think my department is a. necessary and b. relatively cheap, so.) So I called my colleague on the committee whose meeting I'd missed and he totally talked me down. Just so nice, which is not his usual m.o. exactly. And the dean emailed me to say that the first email was "unnecessarily harsh" so it was ok. But damn, I hate days where I just wind myself up like that.

I'm going to go run now. That's going to help.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#742 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM

Marathons. Sundance. Inspiring and supportive friends.

Penelope, try classics. I mean who needs Latin? Ancient Greek? Latin to Latin lexicons? At least he has branched out and teaches a lovely class on Death and Dying. What a bright spot from a completely unsentimental man.

My mom said she thinks the odd years are hard with children just like marriage. I have been married 15 years, I have a 13, 11, and 7 yo in 3 weeks. I'll let my 4.5 yo be 4, not 5, as we can't have any more odd numbers before summer. Is she just hedging her bets and saying that life is hard about half the time?

I have some spectrum brand coconut oil. I think I'll use my old brownie recipe, sub that in and add soem cocoa nibs and espresso powder for a boost.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#743 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM

Hey, some of us majored in classics!

Um, I double-majored in philosophy. Talk about your not-obviously-useful. I loved it, though.

RR: such a tough 5m! Really a lot of trouble breathing. I think I may need a new inhaler, plus I seem to be getting a cold. But it felt good to run.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#744 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 AM

Morning Dingos!

Penelope - Glad everything got smoothed out, you hardly need stress added at work!

Gaye - How you feeling today? Are you really racing on Saturday?

I'm heading to a Taekwondo class in a few minutes. I'm a little nervous that I won't be up to speed here but hopefully it will be interesting and fun and I'll learn something.

I'm beginning to wonder if I inadvertently offended my best friend here. She has totally not been returning my calls or making any attempt to make time to hang out. I know she is a super busy person and has a very full life so it's probably crazy for me to think it has someting to do with me, but still. Anyway, I'm trying to gauge how narcisistic it would be to bring it up seeing as she is probably (hopefully) just busy. But blech, you know? It's giving me butterflies.

Well, I guess I'd better head out. Good day to all!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#745 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Ugh. Had a really terrible evening with dh, then awoke at midnight and couldn't fall asleep again until 3AM. I'm angry and just wrote it all here and edited it out again.

I don't think I have any office work today, so I hope to do some things I enjoy. Worked on the novel yesterday, so that continues to roll. I think, in part, my anger fuels it.

I do want to run this morning, too.
#746 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
Hey, some of us majored in classics!

Um, I double-majored in philosophy. Talk about your not-obviously-useful. I loved it, though.

Hey! So did dh (BA in classics and philosophy)- you don't also have a BS in mathematics do you? That was his 'fall back' of usefulness.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#747 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Gaye - How you feeling today? Are you really racing on Saturday?
I don't know that I'll call it racing, but I'm signed up for the race, so I'll go do it. I have a couple of gimpy friends that might be wogging it with me!

Definitely a little less sore this morning. I finally got to foam roll last night, so that helped! Those quads still hurt a lot, though!

#748 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 PM

The last couple days have been tough - I had a cold and now DD does. She was up and down all night last night and has now fallen asleep in her swing.

The weather here is nice today and I think we will get together with another mom and take a walk.

workout: 3 miles on the TM at the gym, plus two mile walk earlier in the day and about 10 min of Pilates.

Kate - Mom to DD - 10/15/2009
#749 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 PM

mamabeth ~ Sundance?! How exciting!

jooj ~ I hope your day improves a little.

tjsmama ~ glad you're recovering quickly from the marathon. I still think you're a little nutsy to be "racing" this weekend ! Have fun!

I had another ART appointment this morning and it's really working ! I'm very optimistic that by next Thursday (3 more treatments), I'll be good to go. He's also going to teach me how to tape my fibula in place so it doesn't get stuck as easily. Since the hamstring was so strained, it's not really able to keep my fibula where it belongs anymore. He compared it to putting your finger into a piece of Saran Wrap ~ it's still intact, but kind of stretched out and floppy.

Will ride the trainer this evening, whether I want to or not!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#750 of 1354 Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM

NAK

I did squats, lunges, pushups, situps, and some plyos this morning. What's the link to the cleavage girl again? It's supposed to rain a lot here this week so I'm gearing up for videos... and maybe a run in the rain solo at some point.

Jo ~

Kayalana ~ Hope dd feels better soon!

Plady ~ It's not possible. I'm sure she's just busy.

Lofty ~ Coconut oil brownies?! Count me in!

Off to read yahoo group... maybe we can join with the RV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page