Dingos Take on 2010 at a RUN - Page 29 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#841 of 1354 Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 PM
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Link didn't work for us lowly non-facebookers. I want to see you cross that finish line!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#842 of 1354 Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 PM

Yeah, I figured that out. I uploaded it to vimeo, so once it's finished and I have the link, I'll repost it.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#843 of 1354 Old 01-21-2010, 10:04 PM

I'm several pages behind, but I finally got out for another run. No stomach aches or puking this time.
#844 of 1354 Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 PM

I've just finished catching up on the thread; I had been doing a great job of reading, at least, until I got hit by a stomach bug on Monday (at work, so fun). I have like 2 seconds to post. I'm better, but DS is sick. His day has been nurse, vomit, cry, sleep, rinse repeat all day long. Poor baby. If he can't keep any liquids down by morning we will have to take him to the doc. It's not looking good. The nurse said to not nurse or give him anything for 2 hours after each time he throws up. It feels so cruel to hold him, crying to nurse, and put him off.

JayGee, I just wanted to say something about your post about your DS. I saw a lot of myself in your description of him... could it be that he is a perfectionist and afraid to fail? I had friends in college who struggled with that so badly that they failed classes and took years and years to graduate even though they were very intelligent. They couldn't start papers for fear of doing a poor job. My issues aren't quite that severe, but I struggle with it a lot, especially at work. I also have a somewhat unhealthy desire to please people, and as a kid found that was easier to do if I asked them to tell me exactly how to do something.

OK, DS is screaming hysterically for me after being out of my lap for < 5 minutes so I have to go. Poor, poor baby.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#845 of 1354 Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 PM

Aw, eks. for some healthiness for your house!

Ok, non-facebookers, try this: http://vimeo.com/8899505

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#846 of 1354 Old 01-21-2010, 11:18 PM

Hey veg'n chili lovers, do you have a secret gave ingredient like choc or beer or red wine? I've got my trusty Bittman for my chili non carne but I wonder if I should jazz it up some. Or maybe as a meat eater, I'm just being paranoid. My veg'n yoga retreat starts tomorrow. I'm so excited.

I had a great barefoot run again today down soft & squishy red dirt rpads and through grassy pastures that aren't nearly as prickly as they were the first time. I just can't shake that kidding around feeling when I run barefoot. And this may sound weird but there's something very sensuous about running barefoot, feeling the different textures of the earth that way. I just it! The coolest thing is that I'm falling in love with running again after being so burned out that I almost hated it and was only running for social reasons. I don't know; i just love it; it's rekindling my fire for running.

Plus Born To Run is just awesome. I've been carrying it with me everywhere I go. It's awesome!!

Geo, how's DC w/o a camera? I thought I was the only one with technical difficulties.

Eks, it's so good to see you hear. The sickies just stink. I hope everyone's better soon!

Tjsmama, if I can get online this weekend, I hope to check out your viddy. I'll be with some of my Austin running mamas so I'll show off some dingo pride!

My extremely and proudly bigoted uncle just paid us a surprise visit. It did not end with a verbal argument for once but i thought about breaking a few dishes. Ugh, one of these days I'll pen these unfathomable stories in case there is curiosity out there in how that looks up close & personal. I don't understand how love & hate can coexist like that.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#847 of 1354 Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 PM

Bec, so glad to hear Emily's surgery went well!

tjsmama, I love Kate Spade. Enjoy!

Jo, nice run! Glad you got a chance to tell your DH how you are feeling.

poppywise, that looks like a great race! And Florida would be nice

Nick, sorry about your race this weekend. I hope you can work something out.

DrJen, happy birthday to your dh! Have fun in Vegas, sounds like a great trip!

JayGee, kinesiotape is cool. I have some but mine never lasts as long as it's supposed to. I should get someone else to tape for me.

eksmom, hope you and your ds are feeling better soon.

rr: 7 miles, with 3x1 mile at 8:10, 8:13 and 8:00. Finished right before the gym closed at 8pm luckily. It's so weird, I had an awful run yesterday two miles and I had to stop due to my calves/shins and then today was a great run that averaged sub 9 min miles. I don't get it.
#848 of 1354 Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

I had a great barefoot run again today down soft & squishy red dirt rpads and through grassy pastures that aren't nearly as prickly as they were the first time. I just can't shake that kidding around feeling when I run barefoot. And this may sound weird but there's something very sensuous about running barefoot, feeling the different textures of the earth that way. I just it! The coolest thing is that I'm falling in love with running again after being so burned out that I almost hated it and was only running for social reasons. I don't know; i just love it; it's rekindling my fire for running.

I have really come into real LOVE for running since running bf. And I"m not even running all the way barefoot because of the snow! I bet this summer is going to rock.

I actually have a minute now, and my run was great. For the first time in over TWO YEARS I was able to run more than 5 minutes at a time without any leg pain!!
I've always started out ok, but ended up in serious pain by the time I got to about 4 or 5 minute stretches (with walk breaks in between). Now, I'm running 6-7 minutes at a time, with a 1 minute break in between and it's going great. I'm taking it slow (obviously!) and I've had to be really patient with restarting the program due to some issues with shoes, weather, illness, etc.. but I'm glad I've stuck with it instead of just going on ahead and getting hurt.
I'm so excited for this year of running! I can do a race again! (I've even already paid for 2 for this year!) How cool.
#849 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 AM

lofty, I had a great-uncle...such an unbridled bigot...I loved him soooo much in spite of himself.
#850 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I'm several pages behind, but I finally got out for another run. No stomach aches or puking this time.
I had a friend in high school who is a great runner, and he always used to say that it wasn't a REAL run unless you puked by the end. Uh, yeah. Not that hard-core, thanks. At the end of races, there he was over on the side puking his guts out. If I thought every run would possibly end that way, I would never run again.

Anyway. Glad you're feeling better.

Bec--I'm so happy Emily's surgery went well and you're already seeing some improvement! It's nice to feel right away that you've made the right decision.

Gaye--Great video! And congrats on your new purse.

loftmama--You make barefoot running sound fantastic! There's snow on the ground here, so no chance of that at the moment, but we're headed to Florida for February vacation, so I might make it my goal to run barefoot every day. Running on the beach should be a good way to try it out, right? My dad will have read "Born to Run" by then, so maybe I can convince him to join me.

eksmom--I'm so sorry about the sickness in your house. I hope things are on the mend and you won't have to end up at the doctor's. Having a sick kid is the worst feeling.

Penelope--Ooh, I want to take a New Testament class! I love classes; I'm so nerdy like that. Someday when I have free time, I'll go back to school to take all of the fun classes I skipped over the first time around.

memiles--Thanks for the Vegas recommendations; it's all just so overwhelming for me to make travel plans like this. After we do our taxes and see what kind of extra money we're looking at this year, we'll be able to start planning.

Okay, laundry ought to be done in the washer, so I can pop it in the dryer and get to bed. Have a good one!
#851 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 AM

drjen - that's a fantastic present for your DH! I'm so glad to hear that you'll be having a much deserved break. Have fun!

eks - I hope your DS is feeling better in the a.m. Healthy vibes coming your way.

jaygee - I didn't get a chance to comment the other day but I had the same thoughts re: perfectionism and your DS. I could see myself in your description of him, too. That's why my house has been a complete disaster since having kids. It's just not possible for me to keep it model-home clean while homeschooling them, so I have a hard time seeing the point of doing a second best job.

nemesis - how fantastic! I'm so happy for you that you're running w/o pain!

lala - if you haven't run BF before, it may be too much for you to try it every day of your vacay. You're lower legs will likely be very sore the first few times. After decades in shoes certain muscles have been pretty much unused, so it really needs to be eased into. I hope I don't sound all lecture-y, I would just hate for you to get injured.

rr: 10 TM miles. Felt so good that the time flew by and I didn't even mind that I was on the TM. It's funny how sometimes TM runs are torturous and each minute feels like an eternity and sometimes it's no problem at all.
#852 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM

La4 - I know what your friend means. I don't want to puke ever again (see siggy plus for some reason lately if I stray from how I should be eating that is the result) but it is one way to know you gave it your all.

loftmama - I how you describe barefooting. Something is holding me back but it isn't you.

eksmom - I hope things are looking up in your life today.

JG - as soon as you figure out how to motivate others but before you deposit your millions of dollars this trick will earn you please share it here.

Good running nemesis, enjoy it!

CFG - for enjoying 10 miles on the TM.

I did what seemed like an easy weights workout this morning but I am already feeling it in my hips/glutes which is a good thing. that area could always use a bit of improvement.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#853 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 09:12 AM

Hi all!

I really want to try barefooting but am squicked out by yucky things on the ground. Also I don't feel 'dressed' unless my socks and shoes are on. Hmm...paradigm shift needed here.

Lala, where in FL are you going to be? Maybe we can meet up! (I'm in Sarasota).

Ethical running partner issue: lately I feel really held back by my rp. She is a lovely person and on our long runs it's great, but the weekday runs are too slow and too short for me now (that sounds really obnoxious but I don't mean it like that). She also has a thing about only running every other day . So I usually go myself on other days, and have been running with her avg. twice a week plus the long run. But now I am not sure I even want to be doing too many weekday runs together and that seems rude of me. And if we are out on a run and I want to go faster/longer, what's the etiquette? I get really frustrated and she must feel pushed. sigh.

Sorry for so few personals. I forgot what I wanted to say to everyone!
Bec, glad Emily is feeling well! Tubes made a huge difference for my nephew also.

CFG I never have good long runs on the TM. I'm glad you can find your zen on the ratmobile sometimes!

Gaye, Kate Spade. The best consignment find I ever had was a KS diaper bag and man, did I LOVE that thing.

In other news, can I for a minute? I wore my shirt tucked in yesterday for the first time since I got pregnant with my oldest (a decade ago). And it looked okay (belly issue). And it wasn't a huge baggy shirt, it was a nice rib knit long sleeve t-shirt that wasn't tight but wasn't swimming on me either. HAH!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#854 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 AM

Nic, I have found honesty to be best with the RP issue. I have had to bow out for both reasons--wanting to run faster/longer and feeling unable to run fast/long enough. Suggest one short run together a week (your easy run) and the long run as long as that continues to work? And on tucking it in!

Going to do an easy, non-impact workout this morning. I'm thinking bike, elliptical and weights. Then all my grocery/errands, then Friday prayers, and a friend is coming by in the afternoon, maybe to drop her dd for a sleepover. I'm psyched for the weekend.

I'm also really psyched to be seeing evidence of all the hard work on my body. I almost can't believe how badly I let things slide, but I'm so thankful that fitness comes back, and with it, nicer shapes. I feel less like I'm hiding in my clothes and more like I'm just wearing them.
#855 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I'm also really psyched to be seeing evidence of all the hard work on my body. I almost can't believe how badly I let things slide, but I'm so thankful that fitness comes back, and with it, nicer shapes. I feel less like I'm hiding in my clothes and more like I'm just wearing them.
Yes, this. I wish we could go shopping together, Jo!

I could use a friend to go shopping with IRL, especially someone who appreciates my trying to find cool stuff at Goodwill before going to the mall.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#856 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 10:57 AM

Early working morning for me. Just checking in to say everyone with kids home should be checking out Lilly the bear. She's in labor and we'll be able to watch her give birth live on the internets. I think I got the link right, it won't play for me in firefox but I can see it in safari and in IE.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#857 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM

Yeah, Nic, if that's how you like to shop, I think we'd have a great time!

kerc, animal midwifery can also be very satisfying.
#858 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Yeah, Nic, if that's how you like to shop, I think we'd have a great time!

kerc, animal midwifery can also be very satisfying.
Yeah but then you have goats that attack you (or jump through living room windows) and you still have to go out in the snow/rain to tend for them.

#859 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
You're lower legs will likely be very sore the first few times.
Hmmmm, could this be the answer to my lower leg pain since the first TKD class here? We start out by running around the gym, maybe 3-5 minutes max. But I wonder if this is the answer because I'm feeling muscles that I don't remember ever feeling before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I could use a friend to go shopping with IRL, especially someone who appreciates my trying to find cool stuff at Goodwill before going to the mall.
Oooh! Me too! Although if I don't find it at GW I have to try Sal's and Vinny's because I am unable to open my wallet in a mall. I used to be able to but the last time I tried I just couldn't do it.

Off for a 4 miler at the track then to the dentist to verify whether I do have a nest of cavities and then if so to get scolded for bfing past 6 weeks by my dentist. Frankly I'd be happy to skip both scenarios and go straight to no problems.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#860 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Anyone here want to sell their copy of Born to Run? If not, I completely understand.

Jo ~ I seriously want to *shadow* you for a day. Just sayin'!

Nic ~ Yay!!

CFG ~ 10 on the TM flew?! I need your endurance!

LaLa~ I have run slower than 10 minute miles and puked at the end. So what if I was 7 weeks pregnant?

Bec ~ So happy to hear about dd's surgery.

Must run. Cute little girl is signing milk at me.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#861 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Hi Dingos! Hope everyone is doing fantastic in 2010!

I am so sorry to come on here after not being here and asking a question totally non RR. But I am in agony and know some of you must have advice for me!
I was on vacation last weeknd on top of getting sick-ate something??? -dd (19 months) is teething horribly-top molars part way in and maybe incisors coming? Anyway-I developed a HUGE blister on my nip-it didn't resolve after 4 days and I was in agony-so as per kellymom i gently lanced it-only because I noticed there was already a pinprick there-some clear fluid coming out-so that felt tons better-that was Sunday night. But now it is open where the blister is-not bleeding-just raw-right on the tip-and it won't heal. I have tried saline soaks, mother love nipple cream, airing it, i have tried using those hydrogels- i have tried not nursing her on it for about 16 hours. The problem is she doesn't take a bottle and then my other nip is now starting to get sore and form a teeny tiny blister which i am hoping doesnt get any bigger. How do I heal the raw part on the first side???? While hopefully still nursing? Can it be done? Thanks-and so sorry again for selfishly coming on here-I did post on the bf beyond infancy forum on Tuesday but got no responses. I am in agony-its been over a week now and I don't want this to end our nursing Please help
#862 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 AM

p'seed, pming you.

#863 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM

JenLove- I would love to send my copy of Born To Run, if you could mail it back when you are done with it. It will surely be cheaper than buying it!

Ok, Dingos! What kind of car do you drive? Do you like it?

I have a Volvo. An old, 250K-miles-on-it volvo. It will keep going, but I just don't have the money to put into it. And I need a station wagon.

So. Volvo station wagons. Love them, want one, having issues with finding one. I have been more than happy with my Volvo and I really want to just get another one.

I've been eyeing a Ford Focus wagon because of the gas mileage. I am not sure they are roomy enough, though. I need the cargo room for when I do festivals (I sell handmade soap) and the market. So I need to haul: 500lbs of soap, a folded-up canopy, 3-4 4' tables, and miscellaneous stuff. Usually, just one passenger or none at all.

So.. does anyone have a Focus wagon? They are cheaper, but I don't feel good about the reliability especially with a lot of mileage on one. I run cars to the ground. I never buy new and I'll probably never have the money to.

Would it be better to go with a volvo, then? I feel good about how reliable they are and I adore the huge cargo space. (Not to mention they have the backwards 3rd row seat through 2002, I think).

Please. Opinion-ate me. I am at a loss.
#864 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 12:24 PM

Nemesis ~ I pm'ed you.

I also don't think I am much help as we own a VW Beetle and a Dodge Minivan. The minivan, in my defense, was not my idea btw. And although, I now look like a "soccer mom," I have to admit that it is really convenient. :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#865 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM

nemesis we have a van. We tried and tried to find a decent wagon that we could afford. 2 kids + large dog + sporting equipment of all sorts. We have a 2000 honda van that we bought for 10,000 with less than 70k miles on it (50?40?). I don't love every aspect of it, but I'm certain we'll get to 200,000 with no issues. Most of what I don't love: gas mileage is 22 mpg, I don't love the cupholders (dumb huh?) and I really wish we had the power lift gate (because my kids can open it but not close it -- too high).

FWIW I had a ford that I drove to almost 200,000 miles.

edited to add: Drjen what's your mix for emergenc? If I recall correctly it involves tangerine....

#866 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Hi I'm new to the thread but I was hoping someone could give me some help and advice? Sorry if this is a bit long...

Basically I'm doing the couch to 5K program and I'm getting really frustrated. I've been doing it for 7 weeks but I'm still on week 5. It's not for lack of doing it, I've been running every other day since I started except for 1 week with a bad cold and I went 2 days between runs. But I just can't get to the point being able to run continuously and I feel like it will never happen.

Years ago I was in the military and it was the same there. Boot camp and tech school was 9 months total and we ran every other day, 2 miles. Even after 9 months of doing it consistently I never got to the point where I could run the entire 2 miles without walking at some point. I'm starting to feel like it's just impossible for me for some reason.

Then the other day it was semi-nice outside so I ran outside for the first time and it was AWFUL. It was so much harder that it was for me on the treadmill and by the time I got back home I had a horrible headache that lasted the rest of the day and I felt generally crummy.

I'm on week 5 day 3 and I'm supposed to run for 20 minutes. I was able to run for 9.5 minutes then I had to walk for 2 minutes. Then I ran a bit more, walked again, and finally ran the last 2 minutes.

So how do I get better at this? It's so frustrating. Not to mention that while I didn't start this program to lose weight I definitely do need to lose about 20 lbs and instead I've gained 2 lbs since starting.

If it matters I was running 5.5 mph at a 1.0 incline for the beginning weeks...as the time of running has increased I've found that I can only do it if I bring it down to 5.2 mph and a 0.5 incline. Oh and the elevation here is at 4,000 ft - could that make a difference?

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#867 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 PM

I am a fan of VW, also. The main issue is size... if I am going to go much smaller than what I want, then a Focus is about the same size as a VW wagon but half the price.

I am just not going to think about it any more today. I'm going to do yoga now with a video I have.

#868 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM

Welcome shelsi.

Is it aerobic capacity? It will improve when you are healthy. Your body can take time to get back to 100%.
Is it muscle fatigue? Do you strength train? Are you well fueled?
Is it boredom? Do you have a running partner? Music or other entertainment?

It is hard and you may just have to push through mentally when your body can take it. Getting better/stronger is much harder than maintaining. It is okay to take your time and repeat weeks. Schedules are just suggestions and guides. You are also better off not getting hurt. Some people choose to run walk - Is this the Galloway method? Elevation does make a difference.

I am no expert, just offering my opinions, and a welcome.

#869 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 02:01 PM

nic~Can you go out before you meet up with your RP to get a few miles in at *your* speed? That's what I did for many of my long runs w/marathon training. I'd have friends who were willing to run 10, but I had 16 on my schedule, so I'd go early to run 6, and then meet back with them for 10.

DS let me sleep in again this morning. Of course, it was my own darn fault I didn't want to get up, since I decided at 11:30ish last night to watch the competitor.com coverage of Sunday's 1/2 marathon, focusing on Deena Kastor. Little did I realize until I was sucked in that it was pretty much the entire race, in real time. It was really interesting to watch, though, seeing her pass guys, and there was one guy that she ran with for a significant portion of the race, who pretty much let her tuck in behind him (he was a BIG guy to be running that fast!) and conserve energy by drafting off him. She ended up running 1:09:30ish. Boggles the mind...

Spin/pilates class on the schedule for today. And you bet your booties that I'm wearing my race shirt.

#870 of 1354 Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Hi Rachel. Welcome to the Dingo Tribe! Briefly to answer your questions ....
yes, i think elevation can play a HUGE difference. If you're at 4000 feet that's going to feel a lot different than my ~700 feet.

I find myself doing better with run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, repeat however long. Then slowly upping the running and lowering the walking.

I also find that if I make it through the first part of exercising, than I can finish up strong -- like somehow my body needs a very long warm up. I was a competitive swimmer for years and spend lots of my time now cross country skiing. I find if I'm out skiing I might have to force myself through the first 30 minutes, but once I'm there the next hour can feel great! Running is really tough for me because of that -- you expend so dang much energy running I', just not able to run for 90 minutes like I can swim or ski.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page