Dingos Take on 2010 at a RUN - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RR: 6.5m on the treadmill - it's -2 outside, so yay for indoor running opportunities.

Chocolate cake report: layer cake made and in the oven. I forgot the vanilla and had to concoct buttermilk substitute at the last minute (add vinegar to milk) so hopefully it'll turn out ok. It's dd's birthday cake, unlike the chocolate dessert I made last night, which was a re-do because it was slightly overdone last time. This time it was slightly underdone.

Yoga report: the damn DVD appears to be defective. (It worked once, but only in on computer and not the other, and now won't work at all.) I'm going to have to get myself to Target and complain/exchange. Wish I had the receipt, but I'm hoping they don't give me trouble about it.

Writing mamas, have any of you read Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird? It's funny and kindly and she gives very good writing advice (my two favorite pieces of advice: shitty first drafts, and constructive suggestions for gently guiding yourself back on task.) (I tell my students about shitty first drafts, and they kind of laugh...)

Off to take the kids to the Princess and the Frog for DD's birthday! I'm excited!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#62 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 05:15 PM

sitting here after my ice bath

Welcome New Dingos!!

memiles, sorry about your NY. That stinks, I'm sorry you feel left out. , I totally get it and had a similar moment when talking to some friends last week and finding out they all went out together one night while they were all back in town for break and I wasn't invited. Good for you for getting out and running yesterday

Geo, that's an impressive improvement in pace in one year. Awesome

tjsmama, nice run and how nice of a friend you are, I hope your friend takes the step to start

mommajb, awesome race! I like to DO IT NOW mantra. That's how I'm feeling right now.

Jo, thanks I had to actually go see what I had up as my profile picture haha. I hope your DHs fingers are okay.

JayGee, good luck on your run. I wish you could figure your injury out.

loftmama, barefoot running sounds so tempting to me ... maybe one day. Glad you're enjoying it.

rr: 12 miles on the dreadmill, took about 2 hours. I was sooooo bored. I would have run outside and done my scheduled 5 but we got a lot more snow than I expected and there were too many plows out. So I did tomorrow's 12 miles in case the snow continues as it is supposed to, I'll only miss 5 at the most. Hopefully I'll get it in though. And no injury pain today ... it seems to be getting better, whatever it is.
#63 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 05:15 PM

Nemesis - Great job on the walk! I had to walk a bit with my run this morning as well too. I always have no problem with the first mile but I even had to stop the last quarter or a mile or so and stretch. The cold just takes a huge bite out of my performance right now. We're off to a great start.

I am actually pretty excited to see how many of us are running in cold climates. I don't feel so isolated. After living in Africa and coming from San Diego before that I completely forgot that seasons actually exist outside sunny and more sun!

rr: Did a very quick mile (10 m/m!!) loop this evening. We got home from the mall and I just felt so wound up. It felt great even though short. I really like running at night though I feel so at peace and it's so quiet! Plus with all the snow it's actually pretty bright even without street lights in a few stretches!

I had a 3.4 pound loss this week and I am so super proud of myself!!

Michelle (26) - the bean counter, wife to Chris (30) - USMC, established in 2000 with the greatest gift Connor (4) joining us in 2005!!
#64 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 05:30 PM

My run was good, and not too fast at all. We only did 3 miles, but it was very nice. Both women I ran with are also taking the endurance running class that I am too.

And then I took the kids to Barnes and Noble to spend my gift card from DH. I bought Born to Run and it's SO good! The funniest part is that the doctor he sees at the beginning to diagnose his foot injury is Dr. Joe Torg, the same doctor who did my ACL repair 14 years ago !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#65 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 06:02 PM

Nemesis - Thank you for the dailymile.com link. I checked it out. I love it. I use to use mapmyrun.com but this I love so much more!!!

Michelle (26) - the bean counter, wife to Chris (30) - USMC, established in 2000 with the greatest gift Connor (4) joining us in 2005!!
#66 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM

mochelly, that is a HUGE loss. Wow. I am thrilled at 1-1.5 a week when I am cruising.

I did a sucktastic 4mi on the TM today after a 10min warmup on an elliptical while I waited for a TM to free up. Cardio room is kinda gross on a Saturday AM. 45 people huffing and puffing on TMs, bikes and various elliptical-like machines. Good ventilation, but the guy next to me was doing intervals, and so was I, and it...well, it will take some getting used to. Bright side is, I can go pretty fast on those Y TMs. They are so big and stable and nice. They also have a kid zone-type workout area for the 9-14 set with really easy "weight" machines, and I went there instead of the other machines, did a few reps of a few arm and core things. JayGee, I don't know about tris, but I do hope to get up the nerve to suit up and try lap swimming.

lofty, I DID fire it up! 750 shitty words. I'll do some more tonight. I try to sort of close a scene before I close Word. Dd wanted to hang out with me and she's all and finally after half an hour of that, I shushed her, she got up in a huff and went to bed. It was past her bedtime anyway, but I felt incredibly guilty. I got over it.

Um, here's a sort of weird question, maybe. I quit shaving my legs in fall. My calves show in some of my running clothes. On the road, obviously I don't care. In close quarters, should I? Everyone else is so...hairless. I mean, there are men with less leg hair in there, kwim? I am not exceptionally hairy, nor am I blond. Discuss.

Nemesis, I am way up, too. Not nearly to an all-time high, but then I would not be able to walk up a single flight of stairs without pain and maybe distress. Still, it is discouraging to be nearly 30 pounds from what I had accepted as success. (Right at the tippy-top of a "healthy BMI" for my height.) I realized that my head migrated, and my weight followed. Like so many people, I think I tended to overestimate the expenditure of my work. Just because it's "hard work," doesn't mean it's really hard work in terms of the physics involved. So I am getting over myself and remembering that this, this body work I have to do, is a way of loving myself.

I just baked 4 pizzas. I ate one very small piece with eggplant, roasted pepper, ground beef and kalamata olive on ww crust. Later, I'll have the anchovy and caper. But now, I am going to fix myself a green salad.

And write some more...
#67 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 06:47 PM

1jooj - 1-1.5 is ideal.. at least for me. Unfortunately I gained 8lbs in 19 days while on RR back in the States. This is my first week back at watching what I eat.. aka eating smart... so I usually see a higher loss that first week. Then the rest of the time I average a 1 sometimes 1.5ish pounds. However this week I saw that loss with no exercise until today!

The pizza's sound yummy!

As far as the hair... I wouldn't care. I haven't shaved in a few weeks myself. Although I am always in jeans or long running pants. Even when I wore mostly capri's/skirts in warmer climates I tend to go an extra day or two before I'd finally admit I needed to do it. I'm just ubber lazy during my showers. I get in and it's almost like a coma.. I forget what I'm doing except standing under the warm water that's drowning out my 4 year old's ungodly loud voice that seems to never stop!

#68 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM

I wouldn't bother to shave for the gym. I did shave for physical therapy, because I got massage, and that just seemed... polite some how.

Honestly, I hate shaving in the winter, because it makes my already-dry skin feel worse.

In news, we took the kids to a movie and it sold out as we stood in line. So we bought tickets for the next show and I'm going to start wrapping dd's b-day presents in a minute here. She was stricken when she first came to grab me in the concessions line, but was a really good sport about the delay, for which I'm glad.

Jo, those pizzas sound awesome!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#69 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Penelope, there were about 25 people in the whole theater when dd and I watched it. I liked it. I liked the firefly best. I was going to say more, but...enjoy the movie. I also love the voodoo lady. OK. Enough.

Thanks for the hair feedback. I know my dh wouldn't care, and I think most of my friends wouldn't care...but then I worry about whether total strangers care. Duh, right?

OK, I know, I know...
#70 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
UserCP -> Edit Options (left hand side of the page) -> Thread display options -> Show 200 posts per page.

Get off the computer to go play a computer game, La^4!
You're my hero. 200 posts per page = awesome.

And unfortunately "super dogs" wasn't a computer game, which I can tolerate. It was some sort of rules-intense imaginative game involving wearing aprons backward like capes and lots of running. I distracted the kids with an actual real game, instead. I used to be a big-time pretender as a kid, but I've lost my taste for it.

More later; DH just cooked dinner, so maybe I can eat and stop being pissed at him for thinking he didn't have to help shovel this morning.
#71 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Hey!!! Just caught up with the past week or so. I REALLY wish MDC had a mobile browser! Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone, and it's good to be here in the Dingo Cafe. Welcome new mamas and enjoy your running!

Lofty!!!! I posted to you on FB but I am so glad you are embracing the joy of barefoot running!

Goals for 2010:
1. Get my weight back down to where it was when I only needed to lose five lbs to be at my "goal weight." Meaning, lose about 6 lbs. I'm giving up on the other 5, and feeling okay about it.
2. Run 4x a week with one long run. I don't really have any mileage goals, except maybe to stay around 20 MPW bc I feel the best then.
3. Run the Chicamauga marathon in November. VERY excited about that!

Where is camping this year? Have plans started on the yahoo group and I am missing it?

It is going to be 16 or 17 degrees in the morning and I lost my good running tights, so I do not have the clothes to run outside until my new tights get delivered in a week or so. so, it's the mill for me. I am off tomorrow (YAY!) and am going to take advantage, skip church, and run til I fall off. Take care mamas!
#72 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
And unfortunately "super dogs" wasn't a computer game, which I can tolerate. It was some sort of rules-intense imaginative game involving wearing aprons backward like capes and lots of running. I distracted the kids with an actual real game, instead. I used to be a big-time pretender as a kid, but I've lost my taste for it.
superdogs are my almost 6yo dd's imaginative heros. they catch meteors that are heading for Dog World, and they also catch dog hikers who fall off the side of Mt Everest. i think we watch too much National geographic tv around here

did i say i wanted to try snowshoes? can i retract that? with this wind, the Y will be my friend. going to try to master the ipod tomorrow, so i can bear the treadmill.

goal for this week: after i drop off dd at school, i will go straight to the Y. walk. see how it feels.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#73 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 PM

I'm back again, feeling better about things, ready to actually, you know, converse instead of being all about me. Well, probably some of that, too.

I'm so happy to see new people here! I'm starting to feel settled in now. It's great to have a group, especially such a motivating one.

Penelope--how was the movie? I'd like to take the kids at some point; maybe we'll go tomorrow. I've heard nothing but good things about it from all sides so far. I'm glad your DD was so flexible about having to catch a later show. How was the cake?

Jo--I also wouldn't worry much about the leg hair. In my opinion, nobody looks their best at the gym. Well, maybe some people who have breasts (not me) and no stomach or leg fat (also not me), but everyone else generally looks pretty grungy. Nobody ought to bat an eye at some extra hair.

acupuncturemomma--I am the same way as you; I tend to overextend myself, which feels great in the moment but then ends up setting me way back. It's become a joke for DH; whenever I dive into something new (raking leaves, shoveling, running, swimming, lifting), and I can't even move that night, he acts all surprised that I pushed myself too far. Super funny.

memiles--Great work, getting out there even after announcing that you weren't going to. I need to work on that dedication.

Had dinner and brewed some coffee; DH started a fire in our woodstove and I guess I'm over being mad. He has a cold (the SAME cold I had last week when I did all of the planning, organizing, and execution of the Christmas madness). So this morning he woke up, saw the snow, saw me outside shoveling our very long driveway and trying to keep the kids' snowball fight from turning ugly, and DH decided it was perfectly reasonable for him to stay inside and play video games. Because he's sick. My response: you're not that sick, and if you don't come and help me, things are going to go very poorly in our household for the rest of the day.

He did come out, but I couldn't shake that bad mood, feeling like it's unfair of DH to think he can opt out of yardwork whenever he feels like it and just expect that I'll cheerfully take up the slack. Another goal for 2010: try to develop some compassion when someone else is ill. Even if I feel they are being overdramatic and ridiculous. Have I already screwed this goal by adding that second sentence? It's a work in progress.

I have an off topic question for those who are readers. My dad's birthday is next weekend and I generally buy him books, as both he and I are avid readers. Almost always I can think back over the year and pick out a few favorites I've read to give him, but this year I've realized I've read lots of young adult fiction, which is not his thing, and lots of classics, which are great but not exactly what I want to give.

Does anyone have any favorites they've read recently? In past years I've given him books like "Oryx and Crake," "The Time Traveler's Wife," "House of Sand and Fog," "The Poisonwood Bible".... He's a writer himself, so loves engaging stories with beautiful language and strong characters. I'm planning on getting him "Life of Pi," which I just recently read, and also "Born to Run," as he is also a runner and the book sounds fascinating. I'm on the search for one more book. Thanks to anyone who can help!
#74 of 1354 Old 01-02-2010, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
kayalana, nice to meet another dingo with a little baby.. I have an almost 6 month old DS. Such a sweety!

Ashcav, I to you for the dreadmill workout. I simply can't face it so major kudos.

weight loss dingos: do you follow any particular 'plan'?

Shaving? Umm, I am very blonde and shave infrequently in the winter. Like Penelope I shave for massages!

Ack, no real time for personals as I need to head to bed but dh and i are following Galloway's half marathon training plan. Today was 7/5 miles. Dang it was snowing, windy and cold, but it was outside or the treadmill. Tomorrow will be worse in terms of wind so I sucked it up and went. My longest run in 8 years and whilst my foot hurts a bit now there was no pain at all when I ran it.

Here's a question.. when do people lose their patience with your constant 'children talk?' I feel as though I am reaching the end of that time when people will tolerate my myopic conversations which revolve around ds. He's 6 months old next week... But on that note, here's a little video montage of his first 6 months!!
http://usandpoppet.blogspot.com/

Be well, all.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#75 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 AM

Quick post to say I am LOVING Born to Run! Seriously, I can't stop reading. Lalalala ~ totally get it for your Dad!

If I can ever figure out my leg injury, I want to run an ultra !

Must read more....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#76 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 AM

The movie was fun! Better IMO than various of the other Disney animated movies (I was especially annoyed by Beauty and the Beast). The only two things I didn't enjoy were one, the steriotypical depiction of New Orleans-area working-class white folks as stupid hicks (the depiction of black folks, I thought, was really respectful and well-done.) There was some real classism, and social class was a strong theme in the film, much more than race. And two, the primary villan in the movie had some characteristics that I read as gay, although he's not pictured in any romantic situations with people of either gender. I'm sure the latter went over my kids' heads.

As a religion scholar, I was fascinated by the Santorea/voodoo elements - not necessarily what I'd love to see, but interesting and not badly done.

Books: I love, love, love "The Last Magician" by Jeaneatte Turner Hospital, and anything by Laurie James... I forget the name of her book whose main character is a Vietnam-era vet, but your dad might enjoy it. (I'd look but I need to put kids to bed!)

Chocolate cake gets cancelled out by running, right?

#77 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 12:48 AM

jaygee - loved Born To Run! Jenn Shelton (tough as nails ultra-runner who comes in later in the book) is my new hero. It's inpsired me to run in the hills (I still hesitate to call them mts., they're just not that tall) behind my house and to, gulp, even entertain the idea of an ultra.

jo - I just love your writing! It always makes me feel like I'm right there experiencing what you're talking about. Not such a good thing when you're describing all those sweaty people at the gym . I'm sure no one even noticed your hairy legs. Who can see tiny details like that with all that sweat running into their eyes?

ash - somehow I thought you were still injured so I was happily surprised to see you with 12 miles for the day. So glad it seems to be getting better!

Took my DDs to get their ears pierced today. I remember when I got mine done at about the same age I couldn't stop crying for a good long time afterward because it hurt so bad, but they barely batted an eye. Further proof of my wimpiness!

rr: 7 lovely miles. It was unusually warm today and it was just heavenly to be warm and sweaty and let my frozen bones thaw out.
#78 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 01:09 AM

loftmama ~ I will let you know. We would go through Biloxi and across (whatever road that is). But with my DH, we haven't firmed our route yet. Or the date we leave.

Jo ~ We'll be in GB getting our RV oil changed on Monday. Let me know if you can meet up for lunch maybe?

I'm exhausted. We spend the day either cooking, taking care of Val, or sorting through paperwork. This evening we managed to clean the kitchen and sit down with vegan and organic oreos and almond milk whilst milling over some rentals in AZ. I'm so going to crash now. GN dingos!

PS - Hoping to squeeze in a few minutes of yoga in the morning before family pictures with the FIL.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#79 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 02:12 AM

callie~Salt packets? Really? I know it's the desert, but is it really that much drier than Colorado? Cause I think it's pretty dry around these parts!

jenlove~Does that mean you'll be in the PHX area on 1/17?

lala~Finn, by Jon Clinch. I haven't read it myself yet, but I know tons of people who have and loved it, it's won a lot of awards, and I kind of know his wife and even had dinner with him last year.

jaygee~I need to finish Born to Run! I got through most of it on the plane home on Tuesday but then got sucked into other things. It really DOES make you want to run an ultra, doesn't it?! And then I went out and slogged through my 20 and thought...well...maybe not.

I think my friend is going for it! She joined Dailymile and listed her goal as her first triathlon, and she posted on FB that she's making a change! And she's gotten out and walked the last two days, and asked my input on a heart rate monitor. Hooray! Speaking of which...does anyone have input on cheaper HRMs? I have a Polar that I really like, but was over $100 and probably out of her price range. She probably doesn't need anything too fancy. ETA: nevermind on inexpensive! Apparently she's looking at the high end GPS Polar, lol. Anyone have input on Polar vs. Garmin? My initial instinct is Garmin is better if she wants GPS...

DS and XH's flight home was delayed last night and so X didn't drop DS off until almost 2 am. And then we had plans to meet friends at the zoo at 10, so there was no lazing around this morning. We were both pretty tired, especially after he ran all around the zoo with his friends. I knew he needed a nap, but he was insisting that he didn't want one, so I just went in and laid down on my bed and pretended to be asleep (while keeping one eyelid cracked to see what he was doing). Within 10 minutes, he was out cold. For 2 1/2 hours. I also got a nice little 2 hour nap with him, and feel much better now, thankyouverymuch.

I read a great post on being Gluten Free today by someone I follow on Twitter, and wanted to share it with those of you going or considering going GF: Why I'm Gluten Free . I have no plans for going GF, but thought it was a great read with lots of useful info. She said to let her know if anyone has any questions!

I'm going to run with a new group in the morning, and I don't really know anyone in it. I met the one woman this summer on the 17 hour training day, but only briefly. We were commiserating on my friend Sonja's FB status comments about being too slow to run with her group and she pretty much ordered us to friend each other and run together.

ETA: I've kind of fallen off the blogging wagon, but I did a year-end reflection post last night, if anyone wants to look...thebeckmans.com...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#80 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 02:14 AM

Thanks for the book advice; keep it coming! The cover of "The Last Magician" looks a bit risque; I'll have to browse it at the bookstore to see if it's something I'd be comfortable giving to my dad. The Laurie James stuff sounds good; I'll have to check her out, too. And thanks for one more endorsement for "Born to Run;" that's a definite at this point.

zubeldia--Loved the video of your little guy! He looks so happy and smiley all the time, except when he is sweetly sleeping. I love the little baby toes toward the beginning of the video. Man, he's cute! I find that some people tire of baby talk more than others, so you just need to cultivate that circle of people who love to hear every detail. I love hearing about babies.

Off to bed, if there is any hope of me getting to church tomorrow, plus running, plus taking down all of the Christmas stuff, plus writing thank-you notes, plus ironing. Just thinking about it all makes me even more tired.
#81 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Finn, by Jon Clinch. I haven't read it myself yet, but I know tons of people who have and loved it, it's won a lot of awards, and I kind of know his wife and even had dinner with him last year.
Ooh, I just checked out the description on Amazon. I love a twist or an expansion on a classic. It's so neat to have a connection with an author, too.

To bed. This time I mean it.
#82 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 AM

The Last Magician - it's not sexy. It's about four people who are intensely close as children and have a very complicated adult relationship to each other. Set in Australia, and although I can't do the plot justice, it's layered and complicated but full of these jewel-like scenes and insights.

There is some bad language, and one minor charactor is briefly employed as a prostitute - related to that, there are some scenes that I wouldn't necessarily want to discuss with my dad over coffee. But my mom loves it, fwiw.

#83 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 AM

I am thinking uncharitable thoughts about my dh. he is very open and upfront so I shouldn't assume he has ulterior motives but I am thinking he does. Not bad, just almost funny.

What a nice post la4. No book suggestions here. I seem to be stuck in a rut of magazines, fluff non-fiction, and cookbooks. Born to Run sounds like something I might enjoy so I'll take that suggestion for myself.

Alex, in real life nobody cares about our kids as much as we do. Dingos love to hear it and I am sure you have dozens of topics flying around inside your head.

Pen, what a great movie review. Running totally cancels chocolate cake.

CFG, I remember gettin gmy ears pierced and I won't even take my girls/give permission until they have their own health insurance and pay their own co-pays it was that bad. Needless to say I don't wear much jewelry.

Jenlove, I wish you came through here. A snack I can let my kids have and a running buddy with a baby to snuggle! (The girls refuse to believe that store bought pie crust is generally not vegetarian and are holding a grudge.)

The Last Magician and Finn are also added to a grwoing list. I have plans to take ds1 tp the library this afternoon. First I have to struggle through a 5 mile run in 10F. I am full of whines and worries about my physical body this morning and that is way too cold. At least I have washed my gear since Saturday. It is crazy to expect my body to perform at both 10F and 90F.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#84 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 AM

subbing

So we're posting goals, right?

i really need to refine and make my goals more focused. All I've got right now:

Eat less
Move more
= lose weight
do 3+ sprint tris
run a 5K in under 34 minutes

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#85 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Hoping to get in to the Y for just a walk or easy bike today. We got a little $ last night, so I might be able to hand dh and kids some cash and tell them to go have fun on their last day off.

JenLove, yes. Let's.

Ugh, just when I start to type, everyone else gets up...
#86 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
- save a large amount of money for an eventual downpayment on a house
Saving for and buying our house was one of the most rewarding (personally and financially) things that I have ever done. Sooo worth it!!! and what a good time to buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
5. Train for and run the Atlanta half at Thanksgiving.
Maybe I should make this one of my goals????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I am home and unofficially placed 4th in my age group by 15 seconds.

My big mantra for the new year is DO IT NOW! .

Oh, I use the motivated moms planner when I do clean my house.
nice job on the race!!!
I like your mantra
I think I will look into the motivated moms thing. I really need to clan my house better!

Barefoot runers: there was a 2 page article on BF running the the Sunday paper (Parade) section today. really good article.

I really need to find a (localish) tri in April or May to sign up for

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#87 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
Does anyone have any favorites they've read recently? In past years I've given him books like "Oryx and Crake," "The Time Traveler's Wife," "House of Sand and Fog," "The Poisonwood Bible".... He's a writer himself, so loves engaging stories with beautiful language and strong characters. I'm planning on getting him "Life of Pi," which I just recently read, and also "Born to Run," as he is also a runner and the book sounds fascinating. I'm on the search for one more book. Thanks to anyone who can help!
i just finished Ghost Train to the Eastern Star by Paul Theroux, it's a re-creation of his earlier overland journey which he wrote about in The Great Railway Bazaar. It's a travel narrative with a lot of literary and historical details and I really enjoyed it.

Yesterday I rode 1:45 outside in the snowstorm on my newest bike. You can see the photos on my blog. It was a really good, peaceful ride and I really enjoyed it. Today I'm supposed to get 2:15, but it's only 10 degrees and still snowing/blowing so it's looking likely to be a trainer day.
#88 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Hi everyone!
Just came back from a very brisk 8 miles with RP. It's cold here (I know, stop laughing...but it's cold for FL!) at 40 degrees. Cold enough to not know exactly what to wear, and my hands are pretty stiff. But still, we really are speeding up...finished in 1:25:32 and were very comfortable the whole time, not pushing at all. I still find it astonishing that I am speeding up. I guess when you put in the work, it does happen...still, I've always been the 'slow' one (still am, in comparison! ) and it feels so good to improve my times.

I think I'm going to swipe the Borders gift card dh has had on his dresser for 6 months and go buy myself Born to Run. So there!

Had a bit of a scare last night...we stayed over at our rabbi's family's house for Shabbos since the synagogue is too far to walk and they were having a special celebration for one of their sons (he learned to read Hebrew well enough to have his own prayerbook...this is known as a 'siddur' (how you say praperbook in Hebrew) party and is pretty common for 1st/2nd graders) and dd2 is good friends with this son. So we had a super nice Shabbos and then as I was backing my van out of the driveway after dark, there were no lights on the very narrow road and I backed right into a drainage ditch. IT wasn't so deep but it was muddy due to recent rain and I couldn't get out. My kids were crying (dh wasn't with us) and the rabbi had to come out and put a piece of wood under the tire, while I pushed and he steered. We got it out thank G-d but now there is a weird rattle and smell. Sigh. I woke up at 4 am. with an anxiety attack. But at least everyone is fine and it wasn't so big a deal. Scary though.

The kids want to do something 'fun and special' since it's the last day of vacation but after 2 weeks i"m kind of out of ideas, and money. Maybe we'll take them to a different trail to go biking.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#89 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM

zubeldia - I'm just really watching what I eat. I counted calories when my son was a newborn. Sort of like WW except just counted the calories. I didn't pay attention to anything else though as far as fat/etc. This time around I'm eating fresh. Trying to makeall my veggies from raw veggies, making everything from scratch if I can (this will change when I go back to work haha). Trying to keep my carbs low. I still watch calories but with more detail to other things as well. I eat when I'm hungry though and that ends up being more like 4 small meals or so a day. I am also trying to make sure breakfast is my biggest meal of the day!

Waiting for the hubby to wake up from a nap and then I am off for a run. Hoping for at least 2 miles... maybe three. It's pretty cold though around 20F and the snow just won't let up!!

#90 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 PM

love the book talk!

Lax4, if your dad liked the first Andre Dubus book, then he might really like the second one. i read it this summer and thought it was a much better book. the story/plot can be difficult to get through if you have a problem reading about strip bars, but it was such an interesting story.

speaking of running books, if anyone is interested in a signed copy of Gilbert Tuhabonye's book, This Voice in My Heart, I will be in Austin the weekend of the 22nd.

Also speaking of running books, I have not read Born To Run and am def interested.

Jo, I your writing, too. I want to read your stuff!!!!!!!

JenLove, let me know.

Okay, it's Sunday morning and I said I would do yoga on Sundays, so off to yoga and then to church. We have finally found one that we really, really like. There are no kids and only a handful of people, but they are some brilliant & interesting people and I go as much for the after-church mental stimulation as anything else. It's in (I think) the oldest Episcopal church in Texas so it's all historic and postcard adorable and the boys do things like pull bell ropes and take up offering, etc. blah blah blah.

Oh Nicka, I'm sooo sorry about that ditch episode. I did the same thing in our little VW wagon last spring at a baseball game. Yes, it messed up stuff and I was mad at myself for a long time. The kids, however, thought it was a blast. They kept saying: let's do it again! Plus, it was right front and center of the baseball parking lot where everyone pulls out so all the other kids and adults saw which mortified me and put my kids on the cool list. or something.

Keep the book ideas coming.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page