Dingos Take on 2010 at a RUN - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Popping in to say
1. I really find the FB and dailymile stuff motivating in an odd girly way whatever I mean by that.
2. 4F-5F is too cold. I was covered in frost including my (sparkly) eyelashes.

We met at my house today and when the first lady showed up Linus burst into tears crying NO! and holding my leg. He isn't feeling well so this isn't usual behavior but it broke my heart and made me laugh (ruefully, that he knew these women meant I was leaving) at the same time. I try to leave before people are up but it was so cold today I had to wait for daylight. Hopefully a few restful hours of cuddling combined with pancakes and he'll let me out the door with Ian later.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#92 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 01:59 PM

hello 2010 dingos! let's do this thing

kanga!! so good to see you in the dec thread. hope you make the leap over to jan with us!

speaking of...geo and kerc - how many wandering dingoes do you think we can lure back in? lofty is back (yahoo! ) and kanga hopefully. can you turn on the tractor beam and reel them in? it would be like the powers-of-lurk in reverse.

went snowboarding, or tried, on friday. the resort we were at had a fire at their power station so they shut down for the day after we had taken only 3 runs granted, we were there for a few hours because taking runs with a 6 year old on her second time at the mountain takes a while. we love every minute, though.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#93 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi All! I'd love to join in. I'm Amy, and I'm definitely a beginning runner, but I'm working at it. After my dd, I gained a bunch of weight, so right now I'm working through that issue and attempting to get back into running.

Right now I do about two miles a day, which I realize is pretty sad, but it makes me feel great. I'm working mostly on my treadmill right now since I live in the country and to run on the roads near my house would mean certain death.

My running goals this year are:

-Achieve a ten minute mile
-Run the local four-miler in September with a time better than 45 minutes
-Run the local turkey trot (5K) in November with a time better than 30 minutes

My other goals are:

-Continue to focus on eating better (no grains, less sugar)
-Continue to lose weight-- my goal is to lose about 20 more lbs, stretch goal is to lose 40
-Continue to work towards some things that need changing in my personal life
-Take more pictures of my daughter.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#94 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 02:31 PM

Well, it's warmed up here to -14F and I'll be out for another walk today. My shins and legs feel so much better when I get some walking in!

So... 5/500 done!

Jo, I never shave. I haven't in years. I had a little while where I was training for a tri at our local YMCA and I got nervous about being in the pool (and the adult classes) without shaving, but I got over it. Nobody seemed to care but me.

Mochelly that is me, too. I'm just trying to get back to regular portion sizes and watch what I eat. I do food journal because it really helps me be mindful of what I'm eating, but I only track the calories one or two days a week. It just takes so much time to count calories!
#95 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Ah, Dingoes...

Got home from the Y to an empty house. I think dh is looking at some tool he saw on Craigslist...but who knows? We have the same last day of vacay thing here, and I think I am taking the kids to the children's museum place this afternoon. Hoping to pack along the laptop and write while they do their thing.

Made it an easy day at the Y. Walked 3 miles on the TM and did a little whirlpool time with jets on the bottom of my feet.

Woops--they're home! Later, ladies!
#96 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM

ooh jets on the feet sounds lovely. Enjoy your day and I hope dh's hand doesn't prevent him from pitching in as needed.

eta nemesis, don't mind my whining about the cold here. I see you are colder.

#97 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Hi Dingos

Goals for 2010:

Running related:

1) Run at least 3 times a week every week.
2) Do a 5K in early Spring
3) Do a 10K by the Fall

Sort of running related:
4) Lose the extra 20 pounds or so that I have put on since I lost 25 after A was born

Non-running related
1) Be more patient with my children (in particular my 7 year old who is currently driving me nuts)
2) Compact ~ Don't buy anything new unless absolutely necessary
3) Declutter my house

Oh and of course try and keep up with the Dingo threads
#98 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 03:01 PM

SO proud of everyone's goals, and this great group of mamas!

Hey Gigi, good to see you here and lmk what 5k you run and if you want company.....

shortening my post so I can hop on the mill while dh takes the kids to Costco....it is STILL 24 here at 1 p.m. and I just can't do it. I don't have two layers of running tights, or even any long underwear. So.....what should I watch???? Cougartown is insane and usually works nicely...... see you mamas later.
#99 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 03:08 PM
bec

Ok, I got lost already on the thread!

I did a great hill run yesterday on the treadmill. I just don't have the motivation right now to get outside if I'm going to be by myself. Too cold for me. It was 4 degrees yesterday. I'm a wimp and don't have socks that are warm enough. So, I warmed up a mile, and followed that with a quarter mile at 2%, 4%, 6%, and 8%. I was able to run the entire thing at 11:30 pace, so that is an improvement of where I have been, hill wise. But, I did think I might die at the end! Definitely gave my heart and lungs a workout. And, definitely breaking out of my comfort zone!

I am going to do some undefined run on the treadmill again today, but I don't know any details yet. Maybe I'll surprise myself!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#100 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Blueridgewoman - I don't think running two miles a day is bad. Then again maybe I'm partial because that is where I am comfortable and like to run. :0) I tend to run that daily then throw in a long run once a week. Or at least that is what I did last time around.

RR : 2.04 miles in the snow and with 10F! It was bitter cold. I am very happy with myself today... it's the longest I've ran without stopping since my half marathon! I think if my run had been a better experience I wouldn't have thrown running aside like I did. However I am determined to make any future races so much more fun!

Speaking of which, my husband, three of his Marines, and I are going to do the 5x5 relay here in Warsaw on March 27th! Can we please add that to the run list?! First time I have ran with my husband and with 4 Marines I'm hoping we are more towards the front than back... :0) Now I really need to get my run time down!!!!

Nemesis - Great job on 5/500! We're right smack together! I don't record the calories, I just record what I eat. I have a mental count in my head that I go off. I round up to make it easier to tally and just sort of go through my day like that. LOL After counting calories that first year PP I have a very good memory of the calorie content in just about anything I consume

Michelle (26) - the bean counter, wife to Chris (30) - USMC, established in 2000 with the greatest gift Connor (4) joining us in 2005!!
#101 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Trying to motivate myself to run outside... it's sunny and gorgeous out, but only 6*. If I wait an hour, it'll be a bit warmer... maybe if I get some work done first I'll be more energized. Um.

Welcome new Dingos! I'm inspired by all these Dingo goals!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#102 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
Where is camping this year? Have plans started on the yahoo group and I am missing it?
You are the first to mention it. I'm a peripheral player, being pretty dang far field from most of the returning campers, but I propose Kelley's Island in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
Right now I do about two miles a day, which I realize is pretty sad, but it makes me feel great. I'm working mostly on my treadmill right now since I live in the country and to run on the roads near my house would mean certain death.

My running goals this year are:

-Achieve a ten minute mile
Welcome Amy. 2 miles at a 10+ minute is 20+ minutes. That's a healthy amount of time spent running. If you stick with it I'm guessing that 10 minute mile is attainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post

speaking of...geo and kerc - how many wandering dingoes do you think we can lure back in? lofty is back (yahoo! ) and kanga hopefully. can you turn on the tractor beam and reel them in? it would be like the powers-of-lurk in reverse.
What about Monikita since she is now a FT SAHM -- maybe she'll be back? ND is back (well, maybe will be back when she's back from Oz).

I went skiing this morning (XC skiing) and had an ok ski, but had to bag on my daughter's ski lesson (and send dh) because of the need to be 2 seconds from a bathroom. I don't feel badly and I'm hoping it is a temporary thing .... urgh. Since I don't feel all that badly physically I really hate to bag on my dd's lesson with her.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#103 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 PM

Camping: I have no concrete suggestions, but what about somewhere in TN, NC, VA? I wouldn't mind going back to the same place in TN that we went in 2007.

Blueridgewoman, I wonder from your screen name whether we're "neighbors" - I'm in Roanoke VA.

I had grand plans to get to the gym this AM before church. DS woke up while I was drinking coffee (i.e. about 10 mins. after I got up). Plan B is to go later this afternoon. DH and DD are there now swimming. DS is sleeping on my lap.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#104 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 PM

Resting my legs today. After the evil Jillian followed by the NYD symbolic run, then discovering a new cross-trainer contraption at the Y yesterday, I've got some hurtin' quads. Tomorrow RP and I start our official half training schedule, which will involve deciding exactly which one we are doing. Higdon's novice schedule is printed and ready to go, I have a feeling we are going to have more than 12 weeks so we'll just stretch it out a bit. Is that ok?

I'm alone in my house. I found the bottom of the sink for the first time in a week, am tackling the laundry for a bit longer and then will be curling up on the couch with coffee, a movie and my convertible mittens-in-progress.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#105 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Scratch that! 4/500 done, not 5! I walked down to the sledding hill and then DH and the kids drove down there for a family sledding outing! It was so fun and I climbed the (huge) hill at least 7 times (I would say 10, but just to be safe7). It was just great!

#106 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Just ran 2 miles And now dh and the girls are outside shoveling snow so I have a few minutes to get caught up. I am up to post 50. Back to read some more
#107 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Blueridgewoman, I wonder from your screen name whether we're "neighbors" - I'm in Roanoke VA.
Hey there! I'm in Charlottesville, actually.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#108 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Welcome, new dingos!

Lots of forward motion today! Way to go, ladies!

I met up with a new running group this morning, and I really enjoyed running with them. They pushed me, in a good way. I did 8 miles at a 9:51 pace and it didn't feel that hard! I think if I run with them more often, I can start working on getting my speed back down to where it was the summer before last. Maybe even start thinking about that sub-2 hour half again...

DS is with X for a couple more hours, and I need to get motivated to get a shower and then start tearing down the xmas decorations. Seriously, I hate doing it. Almost as much as I hate putting them up. Sigh. Why can't they just magically appear and disappear on their own?! I love looking at them while they're up but they're SUCH a PITA.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#109 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 PM

camping: i would not be able to join in, clearly, but what about near asheville, NC?

hi hollysmom!

kerc - you are right, maybe monikita will return ....hm...

anyone have good do-it-yourself-from-home strengthening exercises for KNEES? besides my IT band problem on my right side, i am noticing some general knee malaise and i really would like to avoid injury. ideas?

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#110 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
Hey there! I'm in Charlottesville, actually.
Awesome - I ran the Charlottesville Half in 2006 and that's some seriously hilly terrain you've got there!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#111 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LLLisa and I talked about Mammoth Caves in KY.

My summer plans are already ... complicated, with travel to Santa Barbara, Portland, and Germany. I'll be crushed if I can't go, though.
#112 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Mammoth caves is so close but I really doubt dh and I could convince ourselves to go camping. I do wish I shared some of those complications Geo. I need another race to create a get-together. Or something, perhaps just out for coffee and a knit-along.

#113 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
LLLisa and I talked about Mammoth Caves in KY.

My summer plans are already ... complicated, with travel to Santa Barbara, Portland, and Germany. I'll be crushed if I can't go, though.
so when are you available?

Oh and Mommajb you can stay in a hotel. No one would excommunicate you.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#114 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Oh and Mommajb you can stay in a hotel. No one would excommunicate you.
this is good to know.

#115 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

poppy~Let me work on it...maybe tonight after the punk is in bed...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#116 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
anyone have good do-it-yourself-from-home strengthening exercises for KNEES? besides my IT band problem on my right side, i am noticing some general knee malaise and i really would like to avoid injury. ideas?
I've had some minor knee problems for awhile; wore away the cartilage under my kneecaps running in high school. For my issue, stabilizing the muscles around my knees keeps my knee problems under control. When I was doing physical therapy, there were several things they had me do that I can do at home.

They had me lie on my back with my knees bent at a 90-degree angle and my feet flat against a wall. Push against the wall for a count of ten and release. If you have access to weight machines, you can also do the machine like that. I think of it as the astronaut machine, where you lie down and push a platform with your feet.

I also did leg lifts. Lie on your back and slowly lift one leg several inches, contracting your quad and keeping it contracted while you hold your leg up for a ten-count, then lower your leg and relax your muscle.

Single-leg squats. I do these standing sideways with one foot on my bottom stair and the other foot hanging out in space. Squat until the outer leg touches the floor, then stand up.

Toe raises. I also do these on the edge of the stairs, with my toes and the balls of my feet on the stair and my heels over the edge, so I can get a larger range of movement.

I don't have a balance board, but if you do, that would be good. At physical therapy they had me stand on one foot on the balance board while I bounced a tennis ball off the wall and caught it. It was an embarrassing exercise in coordination for me.

I hope some of these help you! Doing just a couple of them regularly (I do the squats and toe raises every day) has made it possible for me to run.

blueridgewoman--two miles a day is definitely not something to be embarrassed about. It's great to have you join us!

Gaye--awesome running group! I need to find a running group; I'm terrible at pushing myself but when I'm with a group I find I have more speed than I thought.

Today I decided to work on that compassion thing when others are sick, so I let DH sleep in all day (because he's so sick ). Oops, eyeroll is not compassionate. Scratch that. Entertained my kids, read them four books, shoveled the driveway again by myself. Cheerfully and without resentment, which is a major step forward. DH woke up and I went out for a run, thinking I'd do six or seven miles. Ten minutes in I realized it was 3:00 and I hadn't had anything to eat since a bowl of cereal at 9:00 in the morning and I probably didn't have the fuel for six or seven. Heck, I barely had the fuel to finish my 3.5.

I had read another thread (evil threads around here about food....) that mentioned hot buttered Cheerios, which sounded intriguing. I decided to try them. Maybe it was just that my body was hungry enough to try to digest itself, but they were yummy. I've found that when I'm not running I tend to crave sugar, but when I am running I crave fat. I sometimes look at that stick of butter in the fridge and just think I could nibble it all up. I compromise by eating big bowls of vegetables drowning in butter, so at least I'm getting some nutrition with my fat.

I reluctantly let DS eat some of my Cheerios and now he is demanding more. I guess I'm not the only weird one, then.
#117 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM

I'd like to put the Frozen Feat 5K on the list for February 13th!
#118 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
kayalana, nice to meet another dingo with a little baby.. I have an almost 6 month old DS. Such a sweety!

Here's a question.. when do people lose their patience with your constant 'children talk?' I feel as though I am reaching the end of that time when people will tolerate my myopic conversations which revolve around ds. He's 6 months old next week... But on that note, here's a little video montage of his first 6 months!!
http://usandpoppet.blogspot.com/

Be well, all.
zubeldia - thanks for your nice words and posting that link - the video was so sweet, I had a couple tears in my eyes.

Regarding the contant baby talk, I had a familiar feeling at our NYE gathering. It's hard not to talk about the babe, but I have definitely felt the need not to hog all the attention and act like the fact that DD lifting her head up is a major historical event. I think people understand that new parents don't have much else going on though!

Today it was 20 deg F - -1 with windchill so I hit the treadmill. I did a pretty solid 45 minutes - warming up for the first ten. I was a little slow from the lack of sleep - DD is still waking at least twice at night - around 2am, 4am and 6am. I need that Pantley book and am trying to "cultivate a realistic attitude about infant sleep."

Kate - Mom to DD - 10/15/2009
#119 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Mamoth Caves would be great!

Mamajb~could you come alone or with youngin's??

no running for me yet, but it'll come. lifted weights for upper body yesterday.
#120 of 1354 Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochelly View Post
RR : 2.04 miles in the snow and with 10F! It was bitter cold. I am very happy with myself today... it's the longest I've ran without stopping since my half marathon! I think if my run had been a better experience I wouldn't have thrown running aside like I did. However I am determined to make any future races so much more fun!
mochelly - Great job running in the snow and cold, in Europe of all places. I lived in France for awhile in college and running is not a big thing there - people used to give me weird looks!

It's tough having a race not turn out like you expect - I ran a 10k in 2007 that wasn't very well organized. It was combined with a 20k, and the turnaround for the 10k was poorly marked. I ended up not turning around on time and when I realized I had missed the turn my time was already totally out of wack. It took a surprisingly long time to move past that! .

Kate - Mom to DD - 10/15/2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page