Dingos Take on 2010 at a RUN - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plady, I think I (gulp!) want to do Whidbey. I am having panic attacks, but the plan of waiting till June for either the North Olympic or RnR Seattle has been leaving me feeling like I need a goal.

Speaking of cold weather gear, MAJOR goodwill scores over the last week. Saturday I found a UA coldgear top in the size bigger than the one DD has for soccer. She's growing out of that one (those darn boobs!) but it fits me, so she'll get the new-to-us and I'll take her old one. I also found a pair of insulated running tights that, I swear, are brand new. Todayfound a pair of UA coldgear tights, also in one size up, so we will do the same thing. Also found a nike jacket (similar to this one, only full zip http://www.altrec.com/nike-acg/women...t-rip-pullover) to solve my "nothing to wear in the rain" issue.

RR: Four miles (that's EIGHTY LAPS, people!) on the indoor track at the Y. Was supposed to go out with RP today but it was pouring when I got up. I'll have to admit, it was better than the treadmill. There was a Zumba class in the gym so I had something to look at, and a woman just slightly faster than me that made me push my pace a bit so I didn't get lapped. Did it in just under 40 minutes. Also did my abs and pushups, so I'm feeling quite accomplished. The only bummer was the fact that the rain had all but stopped when I walked out of the building, but it's pouring again and I don't think I could have timed it to avoid the rain.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#182 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM

No heat tonight.

Sending DS to X's for the night. It's not too bad right now, 63, which is only down from the 68 that I had the thermostat set at for the night. I've got a small space heater that we use in DS's room and lots of layers. Luckily the stove/oven are electric! But no hot water...

The more I think about it, the more upset I get. Our HOA was told that the fire department went door to door to notify residents and evacuate us. Um, no. There was a major gas leak (2 inch high pressure line) that took over 2 hours to get capped off LESS THAN 50 YARDS FROM WHERE I WAS SLEEPING. And nobody notified us. And it's not like I wouldn't have heard them if they either rang the doorbell or knocked loud enough to wake someone up in the middle of the night. Hello, I have a majorly neurotic dog who would have barked his head off. I called the fire department to find out who to talk to because there was obviously a major communication breakdown. Of course, I had to work my way through an automated system just to leave a voicemail. If I don't get a call back tomorrow, I will keep calling. I'm pissed.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#183 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 PM

I don't blame you, I'd be furious too.

I did have a thought....I wonder if the insurance coverage for the building and/or the driver would cover a hotel until the heat is back on? I know when our water heater blew up and we were going to be without hot water for a few days, our homeowners covered a hotel as part of the claim.

If so, get a cushy room with a jacuzzi.

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#184 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Mochelly, my brother's best friend is an Army cardiologist - I believe he's currently in Germany. If you think it would be of any help I'm happy to get you his contact info. He has kids and is a great guy - I'm sure he'd be happy to chat with you.

Gaye, holy amazing story. I'd be pissed, too. I am *so* glad you are ok, albeit without heat.

Nic, you're so welcome. It put a huge smile on my face to be of use.

Welcome, new dingo mamas! This is the best running group evah.

Spent part of my afternoon finalizing a course proposal with my colleague for our planned January 2011 trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua. I told him we should do this every other year, and now we're dreaming about where in Central America we should go in 2013.

I get free courses at my college as part of my employment, and currently we're teaching students Spanish via Rosetta Stone, so I think I could get RS software free. My kids take Spanish in school so I think it would be fun to learn with them, and useful if I'm going to make any kind of regular trips to Central America... anybody used it as an adult? I struggle with languages but have studied Greek, Hebrew, Italian, French and German - not to any great effect, but I feel like it should count for something, yk?

I'm hoping to do a few miles on the treadmill after dinner - maybe while dd is at dance. Did some yoga yesterday evening and damn, I am not flexible. So hopefully some regular yoga will help.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#185 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM

Memiles, what a great score on the UA!

Also, I have a copy of Born To Run that I would be willing to loan out. My MIL is borrowing it right now, but I am sure she'll finish it by this weekend and could send it out for me. If anyone is interested...
#186 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Gaye ~ Wow! Scary! I'm so glad you and ds are a-okay too. I would call about getting a room with insurance. Stay warm!!!

I'm dreaming of a fireplace, some tea or hot cocoa, and good mama convo at the Dingo Commune tonight.

I did actually go to Green Bay shopping today. I got new nursing bras that I am so excited about. Bras that finally fit right. You all were right about shrinkage... d*mn!

Now if B&N only had a Nook in stock.... Anyone have an e-reader?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#187 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM

C, you don't even know the half of how amazing that box was to me today! It's here and I don't have a jacket for ds. I didn't realize you were sending one, so I trolled EVERY. Thrift. Store. In. Town. for something appropriate and struck out completely. 3 hours of shlepping around. I was seriously p-o'd because I don't want to shell out big $$ (I didn't see anything new for under $20!) for something that will be worn, maximum three or four weeks, if that.

I came home in a bad mood and there was the box. I was so and crying with gratitude for my Dingo friends.

Had a good evening of home/after schooling tonight. Now I have to explain borrowing numbers in subtraction and it's one of those things I can do but have trouble explaining. The Singapore series (dd1's school uses this as their math spine) is not intuitive to me, the problems confound me even though I obviously know the concepts. Hmm.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#188 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 PM

Oh, honey, you're so welcome. I should have told you and saved you the time! That particular coat (as well as some dress shirts) were hand-me-downs from dd's kindy classmate who was the only child of a later marriage, and his clothes were really nice.

I am so happy it's working for you.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#189 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
which reminds me... have any of you read Outliers? it had interesting stats that were spun to say that basically summer bridge education is where it's at. kids in the poorest/worst performing demographic make the biggest gains from Sept - May and the worst decline in the summer. It's the summer gap where retention is lost.
I read it. I liked the basic idea, but I really felt he picked and chose his evidence to suit his thesis. If you work it out, in fact a PhD is about 10000 hours of work as well... For the summer-is-the-difference-for-kids section, he ignored a lot of other environmental pressures, and took the deviation in performance after 3rd grade as summer supplement, when there are a lot of other factors at work. This is about the age where kids go from learning how to read to using reading as a way to gain information. It's when school makes a transition from skills to synthesis. It's when kids are asked to work more independently both in the classroom and for homework. I suspect there are other things associated with socioeconomic status besides who goes to chess camp in the summer. I liked most of the book, but that section fell flat for me. (It's been a while since I read it, so I'm sure I'm forgetting some details.)

I'm not going out in this $%$. Treadmill for me. Mythbusters season 1 on DVD.
#190 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM

The thread was active today! Lots to catch up on

Poppy, that is so cool that you can google earth from the garmin. I need to start doing some stuff for my knees too, I think. Just a general mild achiness that I'd like to take care of before it becomes something.

Gaye, that's crazy! I can't believe no one came to let you know what was going on. Hope you can get some warmth to sleep.

JayGee, I was sooo close to going out and buying Born to Run last night after you mentioned it, and then my mom let me know we had gotten a notice it was in at the library for me I'm going to start it tonight! I also need to call the ART Chiro around me. I keep forgetting.

cfg, I'm still injured I guess but I've been able to run a decent amount and build up my mileage as long as I don't run hard or fast which is kind of a bummer but at least I can run. Nice job on getting 20 done!

Cold weather running, I don't wear that much compared to most of you actually, just my Nike fleece tights, Nike fleece turtleneck, UA hat and gloves and my Brooks jacket if needed. Oh and my smartwool socks are necessary. I actually got too hot when I added a UA sweatshirt to the top. I could use something for my face too and maybe another leg layer sometimes.

Mochelly, I second Jo, the C9 stuff is great. The majority of my running gear is C9 actually.

JenLove, I love the family pics you posted on fb
loftmama, your yoga retreat sounds great and so do the dishes you're planning

Hollysmom, good luck with WW. I did the online version a few years ago and it helped me lose the freshman 15.

mochelly, I hope everything works out for your DS

memiles, I can't imagine doing 80 laps ... wow

No running for me today. I had PT this afternoon, which is going well. I'm almost done but well the injury still isn't resolved. Back to the doctor next week. Then I did 30 Day Shred which is getting a little easier. Followed that up with 3x1:00 planks, trying to work on my core. Now I'm off to read Born to Run!
#191 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 PM

mochelly~di d you mention what is going on health wise with ds? Hope you get it worked otu soon.

I got my spanish Rosetta Stone spanish out again with the new year and personal laptop, so it's funny that this conversation is coming up. Love it!

okay, off for bonding then sleep.
#192 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post

Mandy, that's awesome that you're coming here again, but there's not much hope for it to get warmer for ya. Sorry! We hate it too! I don't have the clothes for this, not to mention my kids! Where is your race?
i'm pissed about having to pack all my winter riding gear. and the thing is, I won't be able to complete the race as my toes can only handle 3 hours max at those temps. but i'm excited to see all my southern friends again, can I just say how much i love you guys . This is another Dahlonega event, but mostly dirt roads, not trails.

45 minutes of an easy spin today. It's an off day, but I felt like doing a little something because I CANNOT STOP EATING! sorry for the yelling, but it's driving me nuts. please send some self control my way, please and thank you.

okay, after 9. time to stop all work and relax for a little bit.
#193 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM

Gaye - I'm so glad you're alright! Stay warm tonight.

nemesis - we use the *exact* same resources (curriculum?) for homeschooling. With the 6537565765 options that are out there, this is the first time I've ever met someone who uses exactly the same stuff as us.

memiles - 80 laps?

I've been coveting the spanish Rosetta Stone for awhile now but it's so $$$. The really lame thing is that DH is mexican and his parents purposely didn't teach him spanish because they didn't want him to have an accent or seem less "American". They don't even have accents. I speak more spanish than he does and that isn't very much. It's funny when people speak to him and are shocked when he responds with a puzzled look and I answer their question.
#194 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

I've seen various language programs at my library... It might be good enough to get a sense of how good a program is an the likelihood you'll use it.

Gaye, I might consider walking down to the fire station for a little chat. "Just curious what the procedures are and what I need to do to make sure I get a knock on my door in the future in a situation like that."

Cold + Snow + slippery roads + dark = Treadmill + Mythbusters build a cannon. 12 x 100m repeats at 7 mph, last quarter mile at 7.5 mph. I'm beat.

DD's first install the torture devices at the orthodontist is tomorrow. She gets milkshake for dinner. We're investing in yogurt to freeze. Any suggestions on SPD kids with oral aversion and palate expanders are welcome.
#195 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
RR: Four miles (that's EIGHTY LAPS, people!) on the indoor track at the Y. Was supposed to go out with RP today but it was pouring when I got up. I'll have to admit, it was better than the treadmill.
Just so you know the loop in my house: living room to dining room, kitchen, hallways back to living room is 71 laps to the mile. It could be worse.

Gotta go to bed.

I'm reading Collapse by Jarod Diamond. Anyone read that?
#196 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 PM

Geo, I had one of those expanders, I think it was called an RPE? Where you have to put in a key and turn the thing every night or whatever? It will take her some time to learn to eat with it in. I forget, does she do pasta, like spaghetti? Because it is possible to get spaghetti strings stuck up there.

If you're not opposed to it and she would be willing, swishing children's tylenol liquid (not swallowing) is a pretty good way to ease the mouth pain - I'm sure there are natural remedies too but this is a remnant of my mainstream childhood. Good luck to you and K.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#197 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 PM

RR: 2.5 slow miles around the neighborhood.

I wore 2 pair of tights and two tech shirts (under a fleece jacket) and was definitely too hot for the low teens (who would have ever thought that sentence would have ever come out of me? ) I think one pair of tights and one top will do bc the jacket and gloves are cozy and I borrowed DH's Loki 3 in1 hat- which I think must be like Bec's buff?? - and it kept my whole head warm

Plady - thanks for the update! Hope it is a good two months, I bet after a week or so it will really fly by... Thx for asking about the hip - it is 'ok' and I can run low distance w/o pain, so that is good

Gaye - that would make me mad too, I hope they call you back, that seems like a huge public safety issue!

Penelope - that course sounds amazing! Does it have a religion component? (I think that is what you teach ) I need to develop some international courses

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#198 of 1354 Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Story of the World

Plady that is the am/pm yoga that WW used to pass out. At least I think that is where my mom got it. The same guy does power yoga and I have been doing the flexibility version for a few weeks. As soon as I flexible enough I may try shaving my legs.
Thanks for the translation and

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
Plady, I think I (gulp!) want to do Whidbey. I am having panic attacks, but the plan of waiting till June for either the North Olympic or RnR Seattle has been leaving me feeling like I need a goal.
We're on for Whidbey then? My dad, (who might be ing) just offered to babysit for the girls so dh and I could go do our half, and who am I to pass that up?
Nice score at GW and how the heck do you keep track of 80 laps???

So I never did anything more than a lot of walking around with Alison on my back today but tomorrow we're heading to the track and i'm aiming for 3 miles plus squats, pushups and crunches. And that easy yoga. So that'll be something to help work off the creamy mexican dinner I made tonight

Okay, gotta put monkeys to bed nighty night all!

Oh but wait, Poppy, are you talking about visiting OR or moving to OR? Because it would be cool to have you in driving range!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#199 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Just so you know the loop in my house: living room to dining room, kitchen, hallways back to living room is 71 laps to the mile. It could be worse.
Yes, I suppose it could be worse, but now you are making me consider putting on my garmin and running the teensy tiny circle from my kitchen/dining/living/entry. Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Thanks for the translation and

We're on for Whidbey then? My dad, (who might be ing) just offered to babysit for the girls so dh and I could go do our half, and who am I to pass that up?
Nice score at GW and how the heck do you keep track of 80 laps???

Okay, gotta put monkeys to bed nighty night all!

Oh but wait, Poppy, are you talking about visiting OR or moving to OR? Because it would be cool to have you in driving range!
Lap counting- Hit the timer on my watch, counted to 20, the entire timse chanting the number of the lap I would be completing. Several times I forgot if I was counting the lap I had just finished or the one I would be finishing. Although a mile is 19.5 laps, for sanity's sake I did 20 lap increments. Hit the lap button on the watch and started the counter over so I'd have some split times to work towards. Considered at the halfway point starting a countdown and decided it would be too confusing. All I know is that I did what .I think was 80 laps in 39:38, which would work out to right around my flat run pace, so I think I counted correctly.

At one point a woman came up and set up her Garmin, I got really excited and asked her if it worked in there. Alas, she has a shoe pod, so I spent half a mile or so trying to decide if it was worth the investment.

I'll clear the weekend off call with Sue on Thursday, but I think we're on. Ack!

And Poppy, if you move to Oregon, it's on Plady's way to pick me up on the way to visit you!

#200 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 AM

plady and memiles!
Have you ever had one of those days where you obsess over something and then, out of nowhere and because it is top of mind, talk about it in short form with someone who has no clue what you are talking about? That's what I did on FB today. I posted about being unsure about going to OR (short hand for Outdoor Retailer) COMPLETELY forgetting that it might be reasonably construed as ORegon to all of my Oregon friends!

Nope, not moving to Oregon. I will be visiting there sometime soon, though, just because I like to do that a few times a year.

Jenlove - we have a kindle

Gaye - big - wow, so glad you are OK

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#201 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 AM

and welcome to the new dingos!

DS is at X's, I'm back from a meeting, and it's tolerable so far. I have the oven on and cracked open, and it really does help a lot. I will definitely be pursuing the lack of notification issue tomorrow. If I don't get a phone call back, I will keep calling, and work my way up the ladder to the mayor's office, if necessary. I did make the evening news, embarrassingly. I think I sounded ok (except that my voice was kind of shaky b/c I was nervous about being on tv) but I looked AWFUL. I'd link it, but darnit all, I can only find the earlier story that I already linked.

We did go out to the Y earlier, so I could go to spin class and then take a shower (with hot water, anyway). Holy cow, who knew three weeks away from spin class would hurt so bad?! I mean, I can go out and run 20 miles, but my legs were jelly after 20 minutes of spin!

I've got 6 on the schedule for tomorrow morning, with my mama friends, after which I get to drop DS off at preschool and then come home to hope that they've got the gas fixed and will be coming by to re-ignite the pilots for the furnace, water heater, and fireplace. Good times. Sigh...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#202 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 AM

Good Gravy, Dingoes! I am off the computer for a day and wake up to over 3 pages of new posts! No way to respond to all before I make lunches and send kids off to school (). So I'll just report my plan to wake early and ride intervals in the garage for 30 minutes each morning has started! So, 30 minutes of cycling, DONE! I will run/walk this morning while van is getting oil changed .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#203 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 AM

memiles, are you in training for the world's worst marathon?

Geo it cracks me us that you know the # laps to the miles in your house. I have paced mine for hours on end but never measured. That is something ds would do. It sounds to me like you will get very good at smoothies. I hope K is feeling okay. Ian wasn't bothered by his but I was bothered by his speech. As it turns out he was allergic to several expanders/retainers which made the slobber situation terrible. :blech

More yoga talk for bit: the hip stretches in Runners world this month are all on the power yoga for flexibility so that might be one way to work them into a regular routine.

6 miles outside this morning. I am glad to have it done but do wish I had made better food choices yesterday. I had to stop at McD to go potty and it was filled with older men drinking coffee. I felt mildly out of place.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#204 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 AM

JayGee ~ Have fun running while you are out doing errands. I love to hear how mamas squeeze in workouts.

poppy ~ How do you like the Kindle? Big decisions here - Kindle...Nook...Kindle...Nook?

I just finished Yoga for Arms, and even though it's a short workout I have a feeling I'm going to *feel* it tomorrow.

Did you all see on FB where Valentine is walking? She takes about 4-5 steps at a time now. Jo made a good point that she qualifies as a Dingo now, but we have to work on her typing skills first.

Have a good TUESDAY!

#205 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 AM

Morning Dingoes. I am not on track re: time to make it in for Zumba, but maybe the Strength/Cardio fusion. Just not sure whether that's going to be my cup of tea. Off to the barn...
#206 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 AM
bec

Geo - I had a palate expander as a kid. In short, it was horrible. I was in 6th grade, so very self conscious to begin with, and it made this awful gap in between my two front teeth (did just wonders to my struggling social abilities ). I recall being able to eat most foods that I typically ate after the initial soreness from the installation of the damned thing, but did need to brush extra carefully, as food would get caught in it.

memiles - Wow, you have a much better Goodwill than I have here! I don't think they've ever sold a single Under Armour garment!

Gaye - That whole situation just sounds scary and infuriating! Raise hell, mama!

RR: I had tri class last night. We were doing hill intervals on the treadmill for 15 minutes, then some track work (run once on the track, and up/down the stairs for 1 lap, were supposed to do 13 laps), and finishing with some strength work. All was well until RP started having a horrible, scary and severe asthma attack. I sprinted for her inhaler. I don't think I've ever moved that fast in my life. Very scary. She was fine after she the medicine had a chance to kick in.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#207 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Hey dingos,
I'm about to get motivated and off to the track but thought I'd say here that the Official Plan is to do Zuzana's 15 minute workout of v crunches and snowboarders before the 3 miles on the track. I feel like I've been neglecting the abs so this workout should cure that!

Have a good day!

#208 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM

OT:

Mandy ~ Val really liked your Christmas card (she played with all of them that came in the mail) and she kept signing puppy at your dog. It was too cute.

Btw, I finally emailed out my holiday/new year letter. I tried tracking down all emails via FB so if I missed you, please let me know.

#209 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM

Okay, njust editing to add that since it is only 47* I'm doing the 15 minutes at home and waiting on track time to see if it warms up for the kiddos later.

#210 of 1354 Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Okay, njust editing to add that since it is only 47* I'm doing the 15 minutes at home and waiting on track time to see if it warms up for the kiddos later.
Thinking how 47* would feel so good right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page