Mothering Forum banner

Dingos Take on 2010 at a RUN

36K views 1K replies 49 participants last post by  kerc 
#1 ·
Dingo n. An MDC mama (or soon-to-be mama, or mama in her heart) with the desire to move forward at a run or walk. She supports her fellow dingo in each dingo's quest to find balance and reason in her life.

Requirements to become a dingo: Posting on this thread goals for the day, week, month, year, or decade. OK if starting couch to 5k or running and ultra marathon.

Identifying features of a dingo: Posts often here, facebook, daily mile. Starts to get antsy during extended time off for injury or sickness. Found on the road, on the dreadmill, in the pool, or on a bike.

origin of the term: Naughty Dingos on Tour

#427 ·
rr: 13 miles in 15 degree feels like 0 degrees weather. I dressed just right luckily. Put a thin layer of vaseline on my face which really seemed to help. I feel nauseous now though
I know I need to eat something but I can't think of anything I can stomach. Ugh.

Memiles,
your tattoo

Hi Mel38, good to hear from you!

townsonmama, that's interesting about the TM. I used to avoid it because I hate it but it's become hard for me to do with all the snow we've been getting up here and I've actually found alternating my running surfaces has helped a little. Hmmmm.

#428 ·
Ugh, my run was
this morning. Now I do realize it's not quite like up north, but heck...33 degrees is pretty cold no matter how you slice it. And the wind, hooo boy.

But I did my 9, and pretty fast -- 1:34:19 -- had a little bit of tailwind in the last couple miles to push me along. Even though I was sweating, I still felt cold the whole way.
. Wore fleece tights (bought about 15 years ago when we still lived in Boston) a s/s tech tee under my l/s dingo tee (don't think just run) and was definitely not warm enough. When I got back I FINALLY found my polarfleece running vest
hidden under dh's coat. So now at least I'll have that for the rest of this freezing cold week.

I kind of feel bad for the Disney marathoners today. It's pretty cold in Orlando too. Especially if you're looking forward to a warm toasty south Florida marathon in January!

I hate the treadmill but would be bummed to not have it as a last resort option sometimes. If we join the Y there is an indoor track there though.

#429 ·
rr~2.5 pain-free miles. Woot!
My sock kept sliding down with the new insoles. I had to stop three times to fix it and the last time I accidently tossed my gloves in a pile of snow.
Gotta figure out how to make the sock stop slipping...

#430 ·
Plady,
no prob. I have to say, this Stuff White People Like post made me laugh and then finally I cried a little bit: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...aduate-school/ - the part about spending 6 years in graduate school to make 35K a year and live in the middle of nowhere hit me too close to home. (Nebraska. And it took me ten years.) But - mostly I love it.

Trying to decide whether to run outside. Sick of the TM. It's 15* and supposed to get *slightly* warmer. I only need to do 4m...

#431 ·
rr: Group run today for ~7 miles in 20* weather with wind. This was my longest run since before I was preg! Felt strong but my knees and hip were a bit stiff the last two miles. I know I can run in the cold weather - so it's harder to make excuses! Now to take a shower and think about my grocery list.

Also - just signed up for dailymile.com - it's pretty neat, we'll see if I use it. I know some others are on this - feel free to friend me

#433 ·
memiles - love the tattoo!!

nemesis - I think the increase is definitely doable... you basically have a little over 2 months to increase by 3 miles... maybe spend the first several weeks increasing your LR by 0.5 mi for 2 weeks, then dropping back 1 mile, going super slow, repeat til you get to 6-7 miles, then spend the period before the race adding back the speed a little ... (distance first, then speed). For me going from 3 to ~5 miles was much harder than going from say 15 to 18 miles. I don't know if that was physiological or psychological though

RE: academic jobs - I think the jury is still out for me on if this is the right job for me. I think I'll need to get through this first year to decide! I mostly want to get through the faculty part quickly and move on to administration.... I actually like the political part, but am a little overwhelmed by the research pressure

JENLOVE - hope you see this while on the road - have a safe and fun trip, say hello to AZ for me

A lot of trekking through snow Fri and yesterday, and am SO sore! probably a short run today - it went from 5 degrees this AM to almost 30 now, so I need to take advantage of that and the sunshine

#434 ·
Winter 1; mommajb 0

I am not handling this extended cold snap (or the rest of my life) well.

I did run yesterday, 4.5 miles. I had planned for more but cut it short, came home crawled into bed. Dh took my shoes off, I made many dashes to the bathroom and then finally got up again this morning. I am wiped and people need me. I have fully slipped into a funk. Maybe I am having a midlife crisis?

#435 ·
Aw, hon.

What's got you down? Besides the extended cold, which is really disheartening after the first week.

eta, 4m in the snow, not fast, but fun. I feel so outdoorsy now.

#436 ·
mommajb, I don't know why it is, but even at your worst, you post with a sense of humor and make me smile. Whatever it is, midlife, middle of winter blahs, or a creepy virus, may it pass soon and may you be well in every way.
If you get the chance to really ask yourself sincerely what you think you need, you might get an honest answer and see what steps you need to take.

I met my friend at the Y while kids were at Sunday school. Ran 3mi @ 10:00min/mi pace for the first time in MONTHS.
My friend, a non-runner, impressed me by running 2.25 @ 5.6 or something like that.
Had to step off then because the 30min rule was in place (lots of people), so then I did another 25min on an elliptical, working arms hard, too. But wait, there's more. Then we stretched on the mats, then soaked and stretched in the whirlpool, and finally took a sauna before showering and picking up the kids in time for midday prayers. Couldn't get much closer to a perfect way to spend a Sunday morning.

Now I have to make some meals, herd the children through their paces (cleaning, reading, eating) and do some work for The Man (who is, in my case, a woman, but still).

Plady, I'm still envious, even if it is chilly.

#437 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Winter 1; mommajb 0

I am not handling this extended cold snap (or the rest of my life) well.

I did run yesterday, 4.5 miles. I had planned for more but cut it short, came home crawled into bed. Dh took my shoes off, I made many dashes to the bathroom and then finally got up again this morning. I am wiped and people need me. I have fully slipped into a funk. Maybe I am having a midlife crisis?
Do you have a bug? That sounds awful.

Penelope ~ that blog is a hoot
! My whole family is kind of like that, except in the sciences (biology, physics, and engineering) instead of liberal arts. I escaped grad school with a terminal masters. Phew... that was close
!

DH took Jacob and Kay to the tubing hill at Paoli Peaks (Indiana's poor excuse for a mountain
) and he just called to say they're having a BLAST! Kirsten and I opted to stay here, grocery shop, and bake muffins for school lunches this week.

No run for me today, but depending on when DH gets home, I may try to sneak in some time on the trainer. I may not be running much, but I've been on my bike out there in the garage a ton
. Leg is super achy and numb from yesterday's run. This Tuesday I have an appointment with a new chiro who specializes in sports rehab and ART. Hope he can shed some light on my issues.

#440 ·
Thanks ladies. I am sure it is just winter and illness combined with the weight of the world.

There is a local woman who tends to just shake her head and say, "Parenting is not for wimps." No matter what the age they all have needs and wants. It is much easier to determine which is which the younger the child in question is.

#441 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Thanks ladies. I am sure it is just winter and illness combined with the weight of the world.

There is a local woman who tends to just shake her head and say, "Parenting is not for wimps." No matter what the age they all have needs and wants. It is much easier to determine which is which the younger the child in question is.
Big hugs to you. My preceptor says "parenting is the hardest job you will ever do, by far the most important, and gets harder as you go".

Just an idea if you think winter is getting you down, are you taking Vit D and fish oil? I swear they are keeping me sane this year as it's my only real change from years past. In fact, I'm going to go take some right now!

#442 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayalana View Post
Also - just signed up for dailymile.com - it's pretty neat, we'll see if I use it. I know some others are on this - feel free to friend me
I friended you! My first me-initiated friending. The link really helped, as I am at a complete loss as to how to find people on these sorts of things!

mommajb -
I have been having a rough time, here and there, this season too. Something is just making this winter very hard and depressing. I've been exhausted, and just not feeling up to a lot of my responsibilities. Usually getting OUT for a run totally refreshes me, but it has been too darned cold out for that.

Jo - that sounds like a lovely morning! I'm glad you are enjoying your Y so much!

Well, Katie has a couple of impacted teeth, so that is likely going to mean orthodontics rather sooner than anticipated.
Our dental insurance does not cover much, so we'll have to see.

I got to TBC this morning with my friend, and there were a lot of people from tri class or other acquaintances taking it, so that was nice.

Oh, and I just sent DH to the running store to be fitted with running shoes!
He is on week 2 of C25k, but was having some shin pain today.

#444 ·
Oh my goodness, dingoes, THANK YOU for the support, because I was about to relent and agree to this extra work but your words knocked some sense into me. Thank you for the empathy. it goes an awful long way. I have a good friend in the department who is pressuring me to take on this work, and she shared with me that she had received the same pressure but for a different role in the project. She said 'no' and told me to do likewise. So I'm going to just run the other way... graciously.

The transition back to work is huge. I know the next couple of weeks will be especially tough. The nanny is great, though, and has said that she'll help me by sending photos, texts, etc. I could be a very annoying mama!

Plady, you're not wrong in pointing out the shortcomings of academia. I find the politics especially repellent. It's not my cup of tea at all.. but of course as geo and others have pointed out, there are upsides.. including the almost 4 month summer break
... and tenure
People in academia, thanks for reminding me of the good stuff, too.

Penelope, that blog is too funny! Mercy, it's very funny when you see your self parodied (is that the right word?)

oh, mommajb, I am so sorry you're having a difficult time
You're such a lovely, lovely mama and I'm hoping that both the weather and your spirit lifts soon.

Interesting stuff on dreadmills. I have definitely found that my foot hurts more when I use the treadmill.. and the repetition thesis makes a lot of sense.

Katy, I'm on dailymile, too. I have no idea how to find people so I'll follow your link. Bec, how do I find you? I'm friends with a few people already...

Yesterday a quick evening row, and this morning I did my first speed session. I use the word 'speed' loosely
It was 4x800m (with a 10 seconds walk after 400 meters.. I think Galloway is really into the walking breaks). I did them at 8:06 mins pace speeding up to 8mins pace for the final 400 meters in each interval. I felt good and had more speed in there. It's quite humbling to be back to running and at much slower paces, but oddly it's more fun. Not much pressure, etc.

DS has his 6 month shots tomorrow. I am not excited about it

Thanks everyone.

#445 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayalana View Post
rr: Group run today for ~7 miles in 20* weather with wind. This was my longest run since before I was preg! Felt strong but my knees and hip were a bit stiff the last two miles. I know I can run in the cold weather - so it's harder to make excuses! Now to take a shower and think about my grocery list.

I friended you too.
I need to seek out the other dingos on DM and do me some more friending!

#446 ·
FM: Not supposed to be a run day, but I threw a pair of Smart Feet into my running shoes to see what it did for the bit of aching I've been having in my knee. Felt good enough do a mile on the Y track and discovered it's a good way to do some short sprints. Followed with a nice 45 minutes on the spin bike and some abs and pushups. All in all the workout felt great, far better than yesterday's crappy run.

#447 ·
Hi all - I'm home from my GA trip and have updated my blog with the tale. The short story is that the snow on Thursday night made the mountain roads too treacherous and my race was cancelled, but I still ended up with a nice weekend, lots of girl time and a good ride.

Alex - best wishes on your return to work. you can do it and it will be fine. it took me a few months to really get into the routine of working, so don't expect that you'll be all fine and pro at it immediately. but you will survive, the baby will thrive and life will be good.

time to relax!

#448 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Bec, how do I find you? I'm friends with a few people already...
Um, maybe here? I think that should work! Let me know if it doesn't

And, good for you for finding the strength to say no! I have a hard time doing that, simply because I'm one of the few SAHM's left among my circle of friends, neighbors and acquaintances. It seems like people assume that because I'm home, I'm always available.

DrJen - Can you put Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon on the calendar for me? It's on March 7. My first tri!!!

#449 ·
I can't remember who posted the cranberry pork roast, but YUMMMMMM! Thank you!

Alex, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. It's going to be harder on you than it is on him, not that it makes it any easier. I'm proud of you for setting your boundaries and taking this one step at a time.

#450 ·
memiles - that tat is absolutely beautiful! And I may have seen my fair share of tatoos watching LA Ink with DH.

zubeldia - good for you for standing up for yourself and saying no.

mommajb- I hope you're feeling better by now.

drjen - can you add me for the Surf City half on Feb. 7? I completely forgot about signing up for this ages ago until I just saw an ad for it in RW.

rr: 11 miles on The Mountain. Man, running up there kicks my butt! I need to come up with a name for that place. I was thinking of calling it The Devil but that's a bit too menacing, I think. DH suggested Godzilla. Hmm. It's not really that tall. DD2 suggested The Punisher. Maybe all these are too negative? That is how I feel running there, though. I pretty much hate every step of it yet I keep going back...

#451 ·
alex~Sending you thoughts of strength for tomorrow.

memiles~I'm totally not a tattoo person and would never get one for myself, but I can appreciate really beautiful ones on other people.

mommajb~

I'm on dailymile, as well, although I think most of you have found me there. We do have a group, the Naughty Dingoes that might help you find the rest of us.

No activity for me today, other than taking DS to the zoo and for a haircut. Once we got home, I pretty much ended up on the couch being a schlub. Me no likey. Must get motivated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.