Dingos Take on 2010 at a RUN - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dingo n. An MDC mama (or soon-to-be mama, or mama in her heart) with the desire to move forward at a run or walk. She supports her fellow dingo in each dingo's quest to find balance and reason in her life.

Requirements to become a dingo: Posting on this thread goals for the day, week, month, year, or decade. OK if starting couch to 5k or running and ultra marathon.

Identifying features of a dingo: Posts often here, facebook, daily mile. Starts to get antsy during extended time off for injury or sickness. Found on the road, on the dreadmill, in the pool, or on a bike.

origin of the term: Naughty Dingos on Tour
#2 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy 2010, Dingoes!!!!!!!

Geo, fabulous intro paragraph . You know, I don't think I've ever actually read all those posts from 2005 when the thread was started. Good stuff !

Goals (Running and Non-Running) for 2010
~ figure out what is going on with my left knee/leg/ankle (which has been bugging me again)
~ run Indy Mini in May and a fall 1/2 marathon
~ At least 3 triathlons
~ Really work on my overeating issues, even if it means therapy
~ Be more physically demonstrative with my children (my parents were not really huggers, so I have to remind myself to hug, kiss, love-on, etc.) Sad. I know.
~ Save more money in preparation for DH's upcoming retirement and our summer move (shooting for saving $1000/month)
~ Run at least 850 miles this year (1000 if I can get the knee thing under control)

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#3 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 AM

Happy New Year Dingos.

Goals: Jan to April
1. Ski 4 x a week (or run if it is too cold and or snow melts).
2. yoga on mondays every week if possible.
3. Slow down the coffee monster that I have going on.

(non running related)
1. pay off a small student loan debt before April that we've had since 2005
2. pay off our cc before summer.
3. put my photos from last summer into an album so the kids can look at them.

there. that should keep me busy.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#4 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Morning, Dingos!

I did my running goals in the Dec. thread and I'm not sure I'm ready to formulate my non-running goals yet. (Debt. Marriage. Like that.) But I'm working on it.

Missed doing yoga yesterday to watch a movie with dh and the kids, but I'm going to run after I've had some breakfast.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#5 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 10:42 AM

Happy 2010!

Just subbing, I need to do some real catching up here!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#6 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 10:54 AM

Good Morning Dingos! Happy 2010

Goals for 2010 (I have a lot but that's why they are goals, not resolutions. I'm just striving towards them):
- eat clean (8-10 servings of veggies and fruits daily, cut soda of my diet completely, limit sugar intake, cut out artificial sweeteners) and lose some weight
- limit the amount of work I bring home
- learn how to let go and relax
- deal with some personal issues that need to be dealt with
- work on all of my relationships
- save a large amount of money for an eventual downpayment on a house
- figure out what is going on with my body (calf, foot, back etc ...)

Running Related Goals (although some of the above will definitely effect my running, especially the food and injury related ones)
- Run 1,000 miles
- Set PRs in every distance
- Possibly complete a sprint triathlon
- Hyannis Half Marathon
- George Washington Parkway Classic 10 Miler
- Bay State Marathon
#7 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Off to ring in the New Year with a run!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#8 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Here's the race list for the January thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

grnmtnmama - Singlespeed USA - February 6
cornflakegirl - Surf City Half Marathon - February 7
Nemesis - Frozen Feat 5K - February 13
Love My Babies - Five Points of Life Half Marathon - February 14
tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Duathlon Series - February 20
ashcav - Hyannis Half Marathon - February 28
bec - Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathon - March 7
Nickarolaberry - Sarasota Half Marathon - March 14
Kayalana - National Half Marathon - March 20
mochelly and dh - Warsaw 5X5 relay - March 27
bec - Des Plaines River Half Marathon - March 27
poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon - March 28
Plady and dh, MegsBK - Whidbey Island Half Marathon - Arpil 11
ashcav - George Washington Parkway Classic 10 miler - April 25
mommajb - Flying Pig Half Marathon - May 2
ashcav - Cox Marathon - May 2
Penelope - Lincoln Half Marathon - May 2
JayGee - Indianapolis Mini Marathon - May 8
bec - Grandma's Marathon - June 19
tjsmama - 5430 Sprint Triathlon - June 20
CathToria - Aflac Irongirl Atlanta Triathlon - June 27
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon - July 11
tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder - August 8
tjsmama - Rock-N-Roll Denver Marathon - October 17

The Preggo Dingo List

Realrellim - April 2010
VeganCupcake - It's a , welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.
#9 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Hooray for a new year! And a new thread that isn't totally intimidating yet.

My goals are simple: run more and eat better. SO easy, right?

I'd like to find the money in our budget to join a gym, one with a pool so I could do some swimming. DS will be in preschool four days a week in September, and I'd like to make the most of that time.

This summer I'd like to do any local 5K and 10K races, and possibly one half-marathon. Ashcav, did you mention the Bay State Marathon? If that's the one I'm thinking of, it's in Lowell, where we used to live. I think there's a half-marathon option, too. If so, I'll probably plan on that one. I need to research more.

I need to look into the triathlon my town has every summer. They call it the Appleman. Anyway, I am not ready to participate this summer, but I do want to check it out to see how it goes. Do the participants wear wetsuits? What kind of bikes? How chaotic is it? If it looks reasonable, I'll probably plan on doing it the summer of 2011, after a year of swimming at the gym while DS is in preschool.

No run today; I waited tables last night and couldn't drag myself out of bed early enough to run before DH went to work. Waiting tables again tonight; I hope it's as excellent as last night was.
#10 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Missed you guys, it's just been so crazy w/ the move and new job, but my new year's resolution is to not let my job prevent me from doing things that bring me joy, one of which being running w/ the Dingos!!

DH gave me yaktrax for Christmas so hopefully my winter running can pick back up!

Great visit w/ Geo and fam yesterday
Packing up the car to drive back to NY, and praying for *decent* weather

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#11 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 12:35 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I made it to midnight, only because DSD had her bf over and I needed to make sure he left after the ball dropped. DH has been not been enforcing the rules that he sets down for her, which we argued about last night. He complains that she is not doing what he set down for her to do, but lets her get away with it ("I just don't want to deal with it right now"). Well, that's how rules are, you deal with it as they are being broken even if you don't want to. (and when I tell him all this he admittedly states "I know, I know") DH states that "this is so hard", but that's LIFE and PARENTING, you do it NO MATTER WHAT!! GRRRR! So, it leaves me looking like an idiot (as I am supporting his rules to her) and him becoming the same push over that he gets irate about his parents doing with his 50yo brother (who has never moved away from home or suffered the consequences of his actions, or had parents follow through with their rules). AHHH!

Deep breath.....okay, I have yet to set new goals for this year, but the general overview is:

1. buckle down in my eating failures and turn them around
2. start running again after a few month break
3. keep up with the weights/body weights and see how far I can go
4. look into school more
5. help raise all children under this roof
6. dig deeper into my faith

okay, got to get started on my day. Going to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" at the dollar theater today as a family. Huge headach from staying up late and eating candy last night. Need more

I really love you Dingos!!
#12 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Happy New Year, Dingos! I know I haven't been around at all - I don't feel right posting when I'm not running. I do have running goals, though, and Geo's intro made me want to post them.

1. C25K - I'm starting on week 2 on Sunday

2. Run a 5K to celebrate finishing C25K

3. Start training plan of some sort and race 5Ks and 10Ks over the summer

4. Enjoy a run with Dingos while camping

5. Train for and run the Atlanta half at Thanksgiving.

At some point I promise to start posting more. I just need to get to the point that I have actual mileage to post about. I hope you all have a wonderful start to 2010!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#13 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Happy New Year everyone!

Dr. Jen, I'm doing the Sarasota Half marathon but it's on 3/14, not 3/10.

I think I'm going to add a 25K race as a training run; it's in the state park next to my house! But I have to find out a little more first.

Dreadmill this morning, 3.5 long painfully boring miles in a clubhouse gym without a/c...and Old Dude came in again and TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS!!!

Plus since rp and I were using both treadmills, he plopped himself down on the weight bench and gave us the hairy eyeball for a while, trying to will us to get off and out. Hmph. We just kept running. Eventually he left.

Yesterday I did something stupid, but telling. I ate a hot dog bun with my hot dog for lunch; I could not resist. I had that self-doubt thing going that maybe I was imagining this gluten free issue all along (does anyone else do that?). Well. I'm not imagining it. I got a stomachache not ten minutes later, and then basically got so exhausted I had to lie down for a nap -- and had one of those really awful, comatose afternoon naps where you keep trying to wake yourself up but can't. And then one of those brain fog things that is hard to explain but feels like a physical sensation; I could not snap out of it for a good few hours.

I guess I learned my lesson and this means I have to get serious about this. Took Gluten Free Girl (book, published after the blog) out of the library and boy, it's a bit overwheming and complicated. On the other hand, when we went to the New Years Carnival downtown last night, I wasn't even tempted by the junk (cotton candy, etc.) -- even the stuff I knew would be kosher (packaged foods) -- there is something kind of liberating. I can't eat it, it makes me sick. So, not even worth considering.

Sigh. Onward.

Goals (did I do this already? I can't even remember).

Running related:
1) 1000 miles in 2010
2) "Half" anytime fitness
3) Full marathon
4) Improve times
5) Core fitness and overall strength

Non-running related:
1) Figure out what I want to be when I grow up, and do it.
2) Pay off cc and student debt
3) Work out the homeschooling issue and get started.
4) Work on becoming a gentle discipline mommy as kids get older and challenges change -- this has been a real issue for me to figure out.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#14 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 01:08 PM

happy new year! it's great to be back.

running goal: be well prepared for a 10mile trail race Oct 31 (Evansburg Challenge). train safely. let my foot heal. don't get too about the arthritis in the knees.

January: just dress for the cold already, and resist hibernation.
find a place where i can rent snowshoes and give them a try.

other goals tba. thanks for the motivation and support!

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#15 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 01:36 PM

RR: 4m on the treadmill - I meant to do six, but had lots of kid company and didn't focus too well. So I did speedwork instead, which is always kinda fun.

It is cold here. Soooo cold. I want to get out because it's sunny and pretty and I'm housebound, but can't get past the cold.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#16 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 02:08 PM
bec

Happy New Year Dingos!!

Ok, goals for 2010:

Get over hangover!

Run Marathon in under 5 hours
complete at least 1 triathlon
Bike a century
lose 30 pounds (which really means get back on track with my nutrition, and let the weight take care of itself)

Non fitness/health goals:

Get out of consumer debt (credit card debt is strangling us, and we need to turn the tide)
Be more present with the kids (I'm always here, but sometimes I am just not, I don't know, in touch with them as much as I want to be).
Start seriously investigating what it is going to take to get into nursing school (this is a 2nd half of the year kind of thing).

I spent the morning taking the Christmas tree down. It feels nice to have my living room back!

Have a great race, mommajb!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#17 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I spent the morning taking the Christmas tree down. It feels nice to have my living room back!
Me too! Our was SO dry that it was dropping entire branches ! DH is in super-duper-all-out cleaning mode this morning. He's taken ALL the furniture out of our bedroom and is handcleaning the baseboards with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. The man is INSANE!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#18 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Ok, hi, I'm a new dingo! Or a dingo wanna-be, I guess!

I have not run in years. In 2004 I trained for and ran my first (and only) half marathon, then ran inconsistently over the next year or so. After DD was born in 2006 I developed plantar fasciitis (unrelated to running.) It basically crippled me for a year. After improvement and then relapse, I have been basically symptom-free for over a year.

Just had DS about four months ago, and am stuck at home with hardly any time to myself and no exercise (I've always been a very reluctant exerciser, but know how much happier I was when I was running regularly.) I figure running might be the perfect way to get a break and take care of myself, especially since it's the easiest thing to do right out my door.

So, guess I'm going to follow the couch to 5K, and hope that I can avoid plantar fasciitis. Any tips are welcome and appreciated! Just start slow and be sure to stretch, I assume. My pf originally began as some sort of post-partum inflammatory reaction (don't know why) right around the 4-month mark. I am 4 months pp now too, so am nervous.

Ok, sorry for the novel!

So my goals:
*take up running
*avoid plantar fasciitis
*help myself out of my post-partum, isolated, depressive slump

Oh, any tips on running in mountain lion country?!?

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#19 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Geo, I love the introduction!

Good day, Dingos! Happy New Year! Hope you all had a wonderful evening. As soon as midnight hit somewhere on the North American continent, we toasted it and said good night. I'm so ready for last year's year of major big learning curves to be behind me. Last year was also the year of the inner beyatch, or at least finding her, discovering her & giving myself permission to get to know her. She came, she kicked some bootay, but she also crossed some boundaries, so we're going to find our nice girl/inner bitch (am i allowed say that word?) balance this year.

My running goal is to find a goal and I'm actually working hard on it. I've been researching barefoot running since dh has taken it up after he lost his brand-new shoes and refuses to buy more. I'm also looking into trail running and international marathons, like the one in Turkey or the Easter Island one. I mean, why not, right? Dh is planning to run his first ultra, the Damn Wakely Dam, or something like that, barefoot.

Can anyone relate to being at a place where you are actually very content with your body and physical lifestyle. The yoga, TKD, and lots of generic walking seem to keep me in shape. I have a hard time finding a physical reason to motivate. Not that I look like I shouldn't be motivated. I'm just saying... I don't know... I think it must be diet. I have never felt healthier and physically better in my life, even though I work out far less than I did in my twenties. I honestly think it's the Nourshing Traditions lifestyle/diet, but

New Year's Goals

Write a book.
Keep working toward my black belt in TKD. Go to a sparring competition.
Weekly Sunday morning yoga. (Kerc's idea of Monday yoga adapted.)
Take up horseback riding.
Become more proficient in second language.
Find one race goal, preferably a marathon, preferably foreign.
Make a daily effort at being more organized. (Remind myself daily that the chaos drives dh nutty who then drives us nutty which sometimes leads to a big unnecessary blowout. Organization => fight prevention => better marriage.)
Grow one thing that we actually harvest and eat.
Build tool shed & convert existing tool shed into screened room.
Schedule museum visits, at least once a month.
Make space/place in my life for like-minded mamas, even if it means regular long drives.
Meet-up with at least one dingo, even if it means driving a long distance just to cheer you on in a race. Or maybe driving a long distance just to run once with a dingo, even if it's a far-away race. Dunno. Still mullling...
Write goals down and reconnoiter once a month.
Oh and multi-task less.

phew... it's gonna be a year! i am totally getting my groove on.. and i am so looking forward to it!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#20 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 03:11 PM

Sigh. Just let me take a moment to get this out.

We didn't have any plans for NY, which made me a bit sad. I was not on call for the first time in 5 years and really wanted to have a bit of fun. Nothing panned out, so we sat at home and played Wii. I get up this morning to find out that a group of my friends were together and sounds like they had a great time. I'm feeling completely hurt and left out, since quite a few of them knew we were staying home and I wasn't happy about it. I need to just let it go but I'm feeling a bit of a jr. high flashback.

Then I get up to find a big tray of chocolates left by the teenager with a note saying he got them for us. So.......my first bite of food for 2010 was a truffle. Not the foot I wanted to step out on!

So, MOVING ON............

Since the gym is closed today, I went for spinning yesterday with the plan to run today and Sunday. Yesterday was cold but dry in the am. This morning it's a freakin' monsoon. I need to watch closely for a break so I can get out there and start on the mileage for the year. I want to. I need to.

The other plans for today involve putting away 850 loads of laundry.

Goals for the year, in no particular order:
~Re-eliminate the sugar. I was there, then I got to a happy weight and have slipped. Weight is stable but this is just not the way I want to fuel my body.
~Weight training or yoga 2-3x a week
~Get the final hoops in line and get enrolled in MW school. I'm learning a ton just being involved in the practice but am definitely needing to take it to the next level. Ultimately I would like to be sitting for my licensing exam this at this time in 2013.
~Keep up with the laundry! (see above) I woke up this morning thinking I need to do flylady. We'll see...
~700 miles to run.
~at least 2 half marathons. Still deciding which ones and probably overthinking it.
~Read at least a book a month. Bought a stack at goodwill yesterday because I never seem to make it to the library, which has been my excuse.
~Knit a sweater.

Dr Jen, your story of staying so mom and babe could be together and helping her nurse made me cry. I've never met a single doc, even the ones I consider good, who would do that on a regular day, much less a holiday. You rock my world and give me hope.

Nic, don't let GFG scare you. She's very much on the gourmet end of the spectrum. I recommended her because she's my inspiration both in attitude (she never feels deprived) but also in style- she approaches food the way I would like to when I grow up. Honestly, I hardly ever make her recipes except for her gravy because they scare me. Start with getting the gluten out without getting fancy and get yourself feeling really good, then try something fancy when you feel ready. In the meantime, there are good packaged options out there. Ener-G foods bread is decent toasted (and available by the half case on Amazon much cheaper than elsewhere) and has a long shelf life. Pamela's brand makes great mixes. Trader Joes is starting to get options. And that is how we eat on a daily basis. I reassure myself that GF mixes are really just whole foods pre-mixed for me (as opposed to betty crocker). You can do this and you will learn to enjoy it, I promise, but right now just take it one day at a time.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#21 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Subbing.

Goals ~
1) Get moving every day. Whether it be a bout of yoga, a short walk, a run, bike ride...
2) Eat more raw food
3) Ask myself, "What can I do today that was healthier than yesterday?"
4) Focus on my family and making my home (where ever it is) a sanctuary
5) Get my holiday cards out before 2011

I started today off with yoga, a good breakfast, and a wheat grass shot. Here's to 2010.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#22 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 04:01 PM

I would like to join if that is okay. I feel way out of my league in this thread but running is always something that has interested me and I see no better time than Jan. 1 to start! I have a few questions if that is okay!

First of all I have two little ones (5 and 3 years old). With the ages they are at should I even invest in a jogging stroller or anything like that?

Second, I currently do not have an exercise routine and am overweight. I found a half/full marathon in my City that is in mid Oct. Would 9 months be enough time to (if I really get my bum in gear) to lose 50 lbs and get ready to run a half marathon?!

Third...if I indeed have enough time what realistically am I looking at as far as how much time I need to dedicate each day? I guess I should check out the Couch to 5K thread for details on this? I have no idea how to start when I am out of shape and overweight! I actually feel silly thinking I could even do something like this but why not?! Other than being over weight I am in good physical health, don't have any injuries, and was in good shape before having kids, and I am youngish (27). I am thinking of buying a treadmill soon since it is winter and I know with all the snow and cold weather I won't be attempting to walk or run outside any time soon!

TIA!!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#23 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome new dingos!

See? Joining was that easy. You got your membership card at the door, right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncturemomma View Post
So, guess I'm going to follow the couch to 5K, and hope that I can avoid plantar fasciitis. Any tips are welcome and appreciated! Just start slow and be sure to stretch, I assume. My pf originally began as some sort of post-partum inflammatory reaction (don't know why) right around the 4-month mark. I am 4 months pp now too, so am nervous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful~Life View Post
First of all I have two little ones (5 and 3 years old). With the ages they are at should I even invest in a jogging stroller or anything like that?

Second, I currently do not have an exercise routine and am overweight. I found a half/full marathon in my City that is in mid Oct. Would 9 months be enough time to (if I really get my bum in gear) to lose 50 lbs and get ready to run a half marathon?!

Third...if I indeed have enough time what realistically am I looking at as far as how much time I need to dedicate each day? I guess I should check out the Couch to 5K thread for details on this? I have no idea how to start when I am out of shape and overweight!
I think most of us agree that c25k is the best way to start from zero. I know a lot of pp moms have found that they need to repeat weeks here an there. You're better off getting to that 5k goal a few weeks later than suffering injury or mastitis or whatnot.

I also personally think that 3 days of cardio a week isn't quite enough for most of us to reach our goals. Especially if it's been a while, running more than 3 times a week is probably a mistake, but adding in 1-2 more days of walking, cycling, swimming really helps.

For dealing with kids, a lot of us have done different things. Some will put the kiddies on bikes and run along side, some will bring toys for the middle of the track while mom runs around, some will go running before kiddies are out of bed. I'm not sure I could start running pushing a double jogger.

Remember, you need proper running shoes to help avoid injury! It's generally best to go to a running store an cough up a bit more money for the expertise that comes along with it. They need to fit you correctly, and everyone is different.

So welcome acupuncturemomma and Beautiful~Life! Please come and let us know how you're feeling, report your runs, and ask for a kick out the door as needed.

I went out for 5 miles (intent was 7) this morning. It was 23F and a bit windy. I think I would have been ok with a windproof hat and a fanny warmer. The tush never did warm up. I bagged it for home when I found myself running into the wind at 4 miles, ears freezing, and rear end numb. Turns out my totally glacial run was 10:08 pace : That included at least 30 sec waiting at a signal. I can't believe my "slow" pace now was my "nearly sprinting" pace a year ago.
#24 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Happy New Year!

I have hopes that 2010 is going to be an improvement over 2009!

Y'all have some great fitness goals! I look forward to following the dingo progress! I need to nail down some specific fitness goals too. We have a ridiculous amount of stress just at the moment, but it is going to clear up in a month or so! I need to get through this next month as healthily as possible. Lot's of outdoor exercise and no sugar. After that I will figure out some race dates.

Have a good weekend!
#25 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Just checking in, since one of my secret unmet goals last month was to post on every page of the Dingo thread. Of course, I didn't. Darn time differences mess me up every month. Everyone needs to stop posting while I'm sleeping, okay?

As I made lunch today I explained to my kids (DD is 5; DS is 3.5) what a resolution is and how people usually make them at the beginning of a new year, to make sure we can do better things this year than we've done last year. The three of us came up with a few good ones.

They just paused their "super dogs" game in order to remind me that I said one of my resolutions was to spend less time on the computer when I could be playing with them. So noted.

Shoveled snow for almost two hours--that will have to be my workout for today. Girl Scouts are coming by tomorrow with cookie order forms, so I need to make a plan of action that will allow me to treat myself just a little and not get out of control with the cookie order.

Off to play super dogs, I guess.
#26 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
Just checking in, since one of my secret unmet goals last month was to post on every page of the Dingo thread. Of course, I didn't. Darn time differences mess me up every month. Everyone needs to stop posting while I'm sleeping, okay?
UserCP -> Edit Options (left hand side of the page) -> Thread display options -> Show 200 posts per page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
They just paused their "super dogs" game in order to remind me that I said one of my resolutions was to spend less time on the computer when I could be playing with them. So noted.
Get off the computer to go play a computer game, La^4!
#27 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 05:19 PM

LOVE the new intro, geo!!

lala~Come to the dark side...triathlon is the way to go!

CALLIE!!!! So good to see you here! My marathon is in two weeks, and I know I'm going to be thinking of you often during it, since tracking you running the same race was one of the very first things I got to do after joining the dingos!

eks~PLEASE stick around and post more! I know how it is when you're not doing much and don't feel like you should be posting, but I love hearing everyone's insight on things, whether or not they're running-related!

accupuncturemama~ (we've got to come up with a way to shorten that! ) Welcome! I think Couch to 5k is the way to go, and just keeping a very close eye on your PF. LISTEN to your body. Stretch, stretch, stretch. And definitely go to your local running store and get fit for a good pair of shoes.

anewday~Welcome to you, too! Again, agreeing that Couch to 5k is a good start. I think you've got enough time, but I'd probably see how C25k goes and reassess at that point. As geo said, a lot of people feel the need to repeat weeks and such, but if you can get to 5k, a lot of options open up. I've used a great 12 week beginner half-marathon training plan that starts with a long run of 4 miles the first week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
UserCP -> Edit Options (left hand side of the page) -> Thread display options -> Show 200 posts per page.

Happy, happy new year, dingos!

I rang in the new year with an absolutely phenomenal run this morning. I was running with my friend who really pushes me out of my comfort zone, and she had 12 miles at 10 minute pace on her schedule. I was highly skeptical, but told her I'd try to hang with her the best I could, and she could drop me if I couldn't keep up. Well, we did it! We totally rocked that run! We ended up with a 10:05 pace, but we had a 10:54 mile 12 thanks to picking our way through snow and ice. And, there was a big-a$$ hill in the middle, too! And you know what else? LAST DOUBLE DIGIT RUN BEFORE PHOENIX!!!!!

I spent probably half an hour last night chatting with a high school friend on Facebook. She had sent me a message that a friend of hers had asked her to do a triathlon with her this summer, and she didn't think she could do it, but was wondering if I would maybe want to come do it so my friends and family from home could cheer for me in a race. I immediately sent her a reply that while I probably can't (bad timing with school--hopefully--and such), but that she TOTALLY should do it. She caught me online and we spent a long time talking it through. She's very overweight (she said close to 300 pounds) and had a heart attack 3 years ago. I think I may have convinced her that not only CAN she do it, but she NEEDS to. It sounds like she's ready to make a change in her life, and I truly believe that this could be the thing that gets her going. The race in question is the Trek Women's Tri, which is basically the same as the Danskin tri that I did for my first one...all women, totally beginner friendly and supportive. I told her about all the women out there who you would never imagine could do a triathlon, but yet they are...the senior citizens, the physically challenged, and yes, the obese. I told her to go see her doctor and just get a formal clearance to start (slowly) training, but that I will do everything I can to support her the best I can, even though I'm 1100 miles away. So keep your for me and for Shawn. I think this could be one of the best things she could do for herself and for her family...

Okie dokie...time to hit the hot shower and get warmed up from my ice bath!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#28 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 05:21 PM

I am home and unofficially placed 4th in my age group by 15 seconds. Needless to say I am going to work on my finishing kick - awards were only 3 deep. I forgot to stop my watch but my pace was better than 8:18m/m for the 10 miles. It was cold! like 14F and windy at the start. I didn't feel overdressed until maybe mile 8? I had on a balaclava, hat, earmuff, 2 long sleeve tech tees and a wind proof jacket with insulated tights. A woman I rode with wore toe warmers on top of her shoes and says it worked (cozy, no blisters) but they looked like sanitary napkins. I bumped into a friend after the race and I think his wife might be interested in some long runs which would be marvelous. They are 45 min away so it is a bit of a trek but worth it for the entertainment factor.

Nick, here is a blog for you to check out. welcoming kitchen I haven't used it as I just found it but thought you might like to peruse it.

My big mantra for the new year is DO IT NOW! I do want to clean up my diet and keep up my yoga/lifting/running improving as I can. I do want to be a better person/mother/wife/etc but what I need to do is act more quickly and stop mulling everything over forever. Find a plan and start it similar to c25k. That works wonders for running, I need to do the same, ie formulate plans and goals for my wishes and follow through. I am just a bit tired to type it all in right now. I think I am going to dedicate one day a week to each child and make sure they get some individual time. That might sound awful to some of you with smaller families but it is a reality for me. Please no flames.

Oh, I use the motivated moms planner when I do clean my house. It is similar to fly lady I hear but don't really know.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#29 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 05:23 PM

serial posting to say Welcome! to the new dingos. You've gotten some great advice re shoes and c25k. Do it now!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#30 of 1354 Old 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Get out of consumer debt (credit card debt is strangling us, and we need to turn the tide)
Bec, do you have any recommendations on this? I know some people do Dave Ramsey, but other than that I'm not up to speed on plans or techniques. I have some retail therapy issues that I need to face up to, but I'm not sure how to take the first step.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page