Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochootrain View Post
Did you start? How was it for you?
AF was too heavy, I couldn't I am still undecided as I love some of my other DVDs. I need to psych myself up.

Whatever will be, already is...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post
AF was too heavy, I couldn't I am still undecided as I love some of my other DVDs. I need to psych myself up.

i'm not sure what i'll when AFcomes. it's been very heavy after baby#3.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 PM

I'm subscribed to this thread but haven't been too vocal . I'm on day 2 of level 3. So far it's a love/hate thing with level 3. I am working so much harder and feeling like I'm accomplishing so much more but man, some of it is really hard. It feels like the whole workout focuses on abs. I like using the weights with the cardio movements. It will be nice to incorporate those into level 1 and 2. I have one sore knee but it is much better on levels 2 and 3. I modify some of the moves like doing high knees instead of butt kicks, etc.. so my knee doesn't hurt.

I told myself I wasn't going to do any measurements until 30 days was done but I snuck onto the scale the other day and no change . BUT....I am convinced that my body is stronger and change will come. I only want to lose 5-10lbs so I can wait. I had to laugh when she said that we should be starting to see that 6-pack by now .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Marmalade View Post
I had to laugh when she said that we should be starting to see that 6-pack by now .
I know, seriously? I must not be doing something right, I haven't seen it yet!

I like level 3 much better than level 2. I just never could get level 2. I don't know what it was but it seemed to take forever and never felt like it got easier. Level 3 is hard, but it goes by so fast, so I don't mind so much.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
day 7 L1 and no 6 pack!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I have one sore knee but it is much better on levels 2 and 3. I modify some of the moves like doing high knees instead of butt kicks, etc.. so my knee doesn't hurt.

Do you mean that levels 2 and 3 are easier on the knees? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochootrain View Post
Do you mean that levels 2 and 3 are easier on the knees? Thanks!
I definitely found level 2 and 3 easier on my one sore knee. I've also modified a few moves over time so that might be helping as well.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 04-10-2010, 12:35 AM

Is there a legal way to put my DVD onto my iPod touch? I'm not clear on what the laws are and such, but I know I'd love to put 30 day shred on my iPod to do when I'm not near my TV or computer (such as another room of the house or at the gym).

Thanks, ladies!

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

Old 04-10-2010, 01:33 AM

I think someone else mentioned that you can download it from itunes- definately check there. As for taking a dvd you already have, I'm not sure on the legalities. I think you're allowed to make personal copies, but then you'd have to get into converting it to the right format etc, and I don't know how to legally do that for itunes.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 04-10-2010, 02:18 AM

I have had this dvd for a month now and I think I might try it tonight. Yikes.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
I know, seriously? I must not be doing something right, I haven't seen it yet!

I like level 3 much better than level 2. I just never could get level 2. I don't know what it was but it seemed to take forever and never felt like it got easier. Level 3 is hard, but it goes by so fast, so I don't mind so much.
I agree about level 2. Tomorrow is my last day of level 2 and I'm glad.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:33 PM

I just ordered this DVD; it should be here next week. I'm looking forward to getting started. Iactually weigh more now than I did when DS was born 5 months ago. I like that it is only 20 minutes - sounds easier to fit into the day.

LM
Old 04-11-2010, 11:09 AM

fnished day 5 on level one.

jumping jacks are easier--my legs are more in control, I can jump wider, and bounce more.

abs are easier, and I push myself hard on abs, following natalie. Still, no burning sensation afterwards. am i not pushing myself hard enough? def no 6 pack here!

the modified push ups are definitely easier--i can do all of them, and feel my arms working. not ready for the real ones though!

the last strength circut--i'm dying on the arm raises with lateral lunges. i lose my lunges, as I can't keep the proper form because all my focus goes to my arms. and i see no improvement there what so ever!

I wonder if this the exercise I need to skip a day to let my muscles rest? Anyone thought of that? Normally it is suggested to alternate weight training exercises as not to target the same muscles two days in a row. I'm using 5lbs, and they are challenging to me. Maybe I'm overworking my arm muscles?

I think tomorrow I will do the lateral lunges with no weights, or maybe 1lb (a tin of something? ) and then see how the tuesday workout feels.

And I'm so pleased at how my knees are handling the exercises! I was able to squate deeper (very carefully) and I think my knees are doing all right. I've had a patellofemoral syndrom since I was 18, and throughout the years it would get better and worse, but my knees have always bothered me, despite regular special exercises that my physiotherapist suggested. I thought I was doomed--no running, no squating. While I was waiting for the Shred DVD to arrive, I decided to REALLY work on my quads, by doing various straight leg lifts--not like my physiotherapist suggested, a set of 12, but until exhaustion. I could feel my quad strength improving substantially. I think now, it is only getting better. My goal is to strengthen my quads even further, and this opens all kind of new horizons to me--like biking (couldn't do it before, even if it is considered low impact) or even running!

My weight, though, is up 2lb. Tell me it is all muscle?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Choo Choo-- I could have written your almost entire post!! I have knee problems stemming from figure skating when I was younger, and so it's surprised me seeing so many people with and without problem who are having trouble with the video-- mine have been fine, which is more than I can say with other workouts I've tried.

As for strength-- I do notice things getting easier... but the funniest parts have been at work- reaching for things and twisting I noticed I'm not feeling it in my back or anything. I actually... *gasp* have some core strength, even though my abs don't feel/look stronger.

That said... I did really good for a while, and then I've been ignored it, though I stayed subscribed to this thread to keep me feeling guilty for not doing it DH and I are going to start again tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 04-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
Choo Choo-- I could have written your almost entire post!! I have knee problems stemming from figure skating when I was younger, and so it's surprised me seeing so many people with and without problem who are having trouble with the video-- mine have been fine, which is more than I can say with other workouts I've tried.

As for strength-- I do notice things getting easier... but the funniest parts have been at work- reaching for things and twisting I noticed I'm not feeling it in my back or anything. I actually... *gasp* have some core strength, even though my abs don't feel/look stronger.

That said... I did really good for a while, and then I've been ignored it, though I stayed subscribed to this thread to keep me feeling guilty for not doing it DH and I are going to start again tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me!
Go for it!
Glad to hear strength gets better.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM

Started level 3 today. Oh my quads! I did have to substitute butt kicks for the rock stars though. I don't think I'll ever be able to do that move!!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 PM

I'm looking for something to help with upper body strength and core work to mix in with running (I'm in the final 2 weeks of training for a half marathon). Would this be a good video to do? I'm in decent shape and would love a video to help keep me this way when I'm not running as much after my race. Thanks for your input.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
Old 04-13-2010, 03:44 PM

I just finished day 6 of level 3. This is my favorite level so far because I really feel the strengthening of my core and abs. BUT....does anyone else find themselves in limbo between the "easy" moves and "hard" moves? There are about 3-4 parts where I find the easier approach way too easy but I'm not able to do the more difficult version. I know I will gradually get there but it's so frustrating to be doing an exercise and doing half of the set full strength, collapsing and doing the easier version for the rest of the time. The plank row and leg lift comes to mind. Oh well.

sunny*pa*mom I agree, those rock stars are a killer. I am so relieved when that last cardio set is over.

On a good note, I nursed my twins down for their nap and once they were asleep I was able to go from a flat on my back position on the bed between them to sitting up on the edge of the bed. All in one fluid motion, no hands, no heaving - all abs baby!!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 AM

I'm taking a second day off, as I have a cold. I might do the weights later today, but I won't do the cardio.

I did 10 real push ups the last day (day 7, level 1) and this is the first time I could do push ups in years! I also noticed how hard my abs worked for the push ups, very differently from all the ab exercises. I still have sore abs from that.

I hope to get back into it when I'm over this cold.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM

so no one is really updating here anymore

but for accountability's sake, here it is. just did my day 2 of level 2. I liked it. I found it more challenging on my knees--all those jumps from the push up position try to get my knees out of alignment. I try to be careful, and I do something inbetween Anita and Natalie

I find level 2 pleasantly more challenging, but not too much, and I don't find that it was building up that much on the first level. My body feels more worked out afterwards.

I still find arm exercirses incredibly difficult, and some I need to even skip a couple of moves and then get back to it. I wonder if I made a mistake of choosing the 5lb weights. but now switching to 3lb feels like failing I mean at a certain point I should be able to lift the 5lb through all the exercises, right? My push ups are way better, so what's up with my arms and the free weights?

My quads are definitely stronger--squating is not a problem any more, though I'm careful. My knees haven't bothered me at all!

Is anyone else still doing it?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got the DVD last week after reading y'all posts. I needed something to keep me going on weight training. I ride my bike every other day but need to tone up a bit.
I was streaming the video via Amazon but it was terrible.
Anyway, I did two days of the level 1 and then I did level 2, then level 1. Level 2 didn't feel too much worse, so I think I will just mix them up and aim for every other day, then ride on off days.
I've already noticed a difference after four days.
My kids enjoy them, too, so that's a plus. But I often can't get through the whole workout w/o having to nurse

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 PM

Well, I've finished the 30 days. I missed a couple of days in there so I guess it took me about 33 days but I feel really good that I managed to work out almost every day. The good news is that I feel great. Much stronger and definitely feeling more toned in my arms, legs and butt . I can feel my ab muscles and they are definitely stronger but unfortunately they are hidden under the one roll of fat/skin that is the reminder of my twin pregnancy. I did not lose any weight but I'm 5'9 and 140lbs so if I only lose 5-10lbs I would be content. I think it's hard to lose those last few pounds so I didn't really expect to make too much of a dent in that.

I am throwing in a 45 minute walk almost every day (running is out for now while I strengthen my one sore knee) on top of the workout. I'm also trying to watch what and how much I'm eating but I'm having trouble gauging that one as I'm nursing my almost 2 year old twins and still feel like I need to eat a lot and quite often. Just trying to make better choices.

Today I started over on level 1 and did all of Natalie's moves (except for one set of push ups where I had to go back to my knees) and used my weights for most of the cardio. I'm also looking into getting another DVD to try seeing as I kept up with this one so well and it won't be a waste of $ (I hope). Maybe another one of Jillian's that will increase my cardio to help burn off some more fat.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Well, I've finished the 30 days. I missed a couple of days in there so I guess it took me about 33 days but I feel really good that I managed to work out almost every day. The good news is that I feel great. Much stronger and definitely feeling more toned in my arms, legs and butt . I can feel my ab muscles and they are definitely stronger but unfortunately they are hidden under the one roll of fat/skin that is the reminder of my twin pregnancy. I did not lose any weight but I'm 5'9 and 140lbs so if I only lose 5-10lbs I would be content. I think it's hard to lose those last few pounds so I didn't really expect to make too much of a dent in that.

I am throwing in a 45 minute walk almost every day (running is out for now while I strengthen my one sore knee) on top of the workout. I'm also trying to watch what and how much I'm eating but I'm having trouble gauging that one as I'm nursing my almost 2 year old twins and still feel like I need to eat a lot and quite often. Just trying to make better choices.

Today I started over on level 1 and did all of Natalie's moves (except for one set of push ups where I had to go back to my knees) and used my weights for most of the cardio. I'm also looking into getting another DVD to try seeing as I kept up with this one so well and it won't be a waste of $ (I hope). Maybe another one of Jillian's that will increase my cardio to help burn off some more fat.
Congrats!

I'm 6' tall and 172lb, so I'd like to lose another 10lb. I haven't lost at all in the first two weeks, even if I'm eating well. I have a feeling I won't lose a lb!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM

My DVD finally arrived and I started working out yesterday. I'm starting at Level 1 and have done it 2 days in a row. I feel completely out of shapes at some points. I have a lot of trouble with the butt kicks and the jumping jacks; too much of me jiggles when I do them and it doesn't feel comfortable. I also noticed that the floor in my room is very crooked (old house!) and so I'm wondering if that might be causing some problems too.

I am proud that I have done it 2 days. Really my first workouts since DS was born 5 months ago. I put him in his bouncy chair while I did the workout and he enjoyed laughing at me

Looking forward to tomorrow (believe it or not).

LM
Old 04-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bought the dvd several weeks ago, got a miserable cold, and today I finally tried it. Oof!

This is going to be more like a 45 or 60 day shred for me, I think. I know myself, and I won't stick with it if I'm in pain and whupped all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post
When I do all those jumping jacks, I pee a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny*pa*mom View Post
Heehee, that happened to me too when I first started but that has improved too!
I've very glad to hear this.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 AM

I somehow injured my ankle--not sure what happened, but it is swallen and throbbing. the swelling goes down at night, but comes back when i start walking I'm doing the weights and the abs still, but am upset I can't continue with the cardio. This foot was broken 5 years ago, below the ankle, but it has been doing so well, finally. I had no pain for the first time in years, and was enjoying the exercises so much. now the pain is not where it used to be, so i am not sure what happened. not sure if it is old injury related, or a new injury...

User Tag List