Cycling Mamas~ Riding a Century? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Cycling Mamas! I'm looking at training for a century ride. Well 192 miles over two days.

Have any of you done a century? Any tips or great book suggestions?

I'm really motivated and excited to get started in earnest. Let's chat long distance cycling!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 06:48 AM

I have done one a few years ago pre-pregnancy I would be curious what you're training schedule is like (assuming you're starting in the winter) I've been considering training for a century since running with this extra babyweight has been hard/painful.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my 'training' so far has been some light riding on the indoor trainer and some aerobics videos

I'm trying to find a good training guide book- most that I have looked at have a 10-12 week century training plan. I"ll probably start indoors and then move outdoors when the weather gets better.

I'm currently pretty out of shape and am doing WW to drop some weight. This is all part of a year long 'get healthier and in better shape' goal that I've set for myself. Hopefully things will go well!

I can't believe you've even tried running at a month PP. I don't run ever, so that seems impressive! At one month PP I was sitting as much as possible

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 01-22-2010, 03:29 PM

hi Rebecca - that's a great goal that you have. I rode the Harpoon Point-to-Point a few years back which was about 115 miles that year. I didn't follow a plan or do enough training, but completed the ride without any problems.

These days I mostly mountain bike and have done several 50 mile trail races. Definitely find a plan and do the long rides religiously as training, you'll have more fun if you're prepped.

Last year was my first real training year and it helped me drop about 20 pounds and many inches, so the biking should help towards your weight loss goals.

User Tag List