Lovin' the Low Carb in Februrary - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starting us off in the new month ladies!

Violet so happy to see you back, had been wondering how you were- sorry that things didn't go as well as planned but hope you had a great trip!

I splurged yesterday, I needed it physically and mentally-
eats
hamburgers topped w/ mushrooms and onions-mmmmmm
strawberries and dark chocolate
more hamburgers and chocolate
coconut flour banana bread-mmmmmm

I didn't measure my food yesterday. My body needed one of those days.

anyway february goals for me:
1)Weight- Current- 128.8- Goal-124
2)Measurement- waist-current-28.75- Goal-27.5
3)Size- current- can fit into pp jeans, but not wear comfortably- goal- wear comfortably
4)Strength-pushups-current 4- goal-15- pullups- current-0- goal 1-plank-goal-1min

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Wow crunchy momma-- you are so close to goal! Way to go!

I still have hiccups and heartburn from the one. single. lone. garlic clove I ate yesterday. Grrrr.

Haven't eaten anything yet today. Except some pepto bismal tablets.

Can't exercise b/c apparently I am allergic to AZ and am having an asthma flare up. Grrrr. I may have to start prednisone with this one which causes serious munchies.

Anyway. So far I'm back on the LC wagon just fine.

Have no idea what I'm going to eat today. I have chicken in the fridge and was going to fry it in butter and hot sauce. Not sure if that's a good idea now.

Sooooo winging it here.....

Bfast-Wasa crackers with cheese and butter.

Lunch? Marinate the chicken in feta dressing and bake or fry?? Serve with salad. I think I can swing that!

Pork roast with e.european spices for dinner. Possibly served with a side of red cabbage.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:34 PM

Wow I can't believe how many goals you've made/met crunchy that' s so great! I actually made a few goals for myself last night. Holy smokes 124 pounds is not much!! You must be little framed, I think I weigh 125 and I wear a size 0 already. But I have THE biggest freakin butt/legs for my size it kind of sometimes bugs be. I really want to shrink my thighs just every so slightly, so I'm going bodyweight exercising for a few weeks to see what happens. I have so little time at the gym that if I spend it all doing the "lift some heavy things" I don't move as much/fast as I used to. I can workout a litlte at home but right now i'm pretty much lacking the motivation to get a heavy workout for a solid block of time here. My kids actually are not the reason either, they like working out with me. Sometimes I think I worry too much about it LOL. Like it's only been about 2 weeks since my normal routine of everything but I feel like it's been eternity!

ANyhow! My goals: I have this completion workout that I've done, and I want to speed it up so that is my goal. I'm going to do it tonight and time myself, then I'll report back and make a goal according to how I did because right now I don't remember. It's brutal and I'm going to do this 2 days at the gym instead of anything else, and then in between I'm GOING to restart the pushup challenge. So the workout is: 25 pullups, 100 pushups, 50 deadlifts (135 pounds), 50 squats (135 pounds) 50 box jumps. Basically it's a completion thing, you stop only as long as you need, then restart untill you complete everything. Usually I go in sets like 5 pullups, then 20 pushups, then 10 deads, 10 squats, then box jumps. Or sometimes I'll just do one part of it at a time then move on. I think I'm ready to do it again today. I'm looking forward to having a hard workout.

My other goal is to start yoga, and I really want to find a class. There is a hot yoga studio near me but i'm not sure I want to spend that much. They have a month of unlimited, and I was thinking about maybe doing one class and then if I like it doing a month of unlimited instead of anything else for change of pace. Why is it that I cannot have an unlimited amount of funds

VIOLET! I cannot believe garlic gave you that much trouble! Garlic in it's raw form does NOT love my stomach. DH and the kids can eat VATS of tzatziki and I load the garlic on, and they are fine. I wonder if it's the yogurt with it.....I'm scared to eat it because of my trouble with dairy. I've trialed dairy a couple times in tiny amounts, as in creme fraiche, and I was ok. It's crazy, sicne going grain free, maybe dairy isn't the trouble it used to be for me. That greek feta chicken sounds yummy!! That's what I made last night for dinner. A HUGE Greek feast it was so delicious and I ate sooo much.

Looking forward to regaining my energy levels levels this week.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Yoga sounds awesome! I wish I could find a class I liked.

Yes. The garlic kicked my butt. I even took extra Prilosec too (which I take daily for Gerd which runs in my family and no, LC doesn't fix it. I'm one of the few people I've met for whom LC does nothing healthwise other than weight loss. Not even an improvement in my cholesterol numbers--at least it doesn't make them worse!).

Finally I feel better after eating. Just started really lightly with the Wasa crackers and have worked my way up to a nice greek salad. The pork roast is in the oven and I hope it turns out--it's my first time trying this recipe that my SILs make look easy.

I have not had good luck in the kitchen today. The flax muffins I made with DD are going in the trash--they literally would not cook and I know the oven is okay, the roast is sizzling as I type.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

lisamarie- that sounds like the infamous 300 workout- I am anxious to see how you do! I wouldn't even attempt that right now! Go you!

Violet- sorry you feel nasty Both tummy and stuffiness, that stinks!

Oh, and I am smallframed- right now I am about a size 6 , my pp jeans are a size 4. I am thinking perhaps after this month and this weight loss that I will back up on weight loss and go to maintanence. Loving and appreciating my body right now and not sure if I want to purposely work on getting smaller than that at the moment- if it happens naturally than so be it though.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Violet- let us know how the roast turns out- I have roast on the menu this week- speaking of I made a list- although it is not really indepth, just a list of meals:

spaghetti w/ homemade sauce and TONS of veggies- served ovr spa squash and just veggilicious for me and salad

thai chicken soup w/ cauliflowr rice (made w/ fresh bone broth)

bbq served ovr fresh slaw and maybe some fresh sweet pot fries

fishsticks w/ the slaw as well

kebabs and satay sauce and salad

Old 02-01-2010, 05:14 PM

ha. I just sat down with a plate of roast and saw your post.

Here's the recipe:

-stuff meat (pork roast) with garlic cloves (cut slits in meat)
-brown in hot oil
- cover top with black pepper, caraway seeds, salt, garlic powder, paprika
-drizzle olive oil over roast
-put in oven at 375F
-About an hour later add some water, onions and diced garlic
-roast another 45-60 minutes
-let rest 10 min before slicing
-you can make a gravy out of the drippings

It turned out pretty well. Not sure if I have met my SILs standards, but I find it tasty.

V

Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM

glad you made it home safe violet. sorry you are allergic to az. i sure wish dh would move me away from here. *sigh* we are blessed with alot of family here so i just have to make the best of it and enjoy all of the help. i need to write down your recipe for the roast... it sounds simple and delicious.

you are amazing crunchymama. we started off the same and you are blowing me away. good job sticking to it!

lisamarie... what do you put in your tzatziki? your greek feast sounds amazing and is making my mouth water. i super love bikram yoga and bought a ton of classes a few years ago for a crazy cheap price and still have like 25. now i just need the motivation to get there.

so i am sucking majorly right now. af started last week and i started feeling better, only to have my littlest come down with the yuckies on friday. no sleep the last few weeks is wearing on me. ugh. i have been doing well two meals a day and then messing up badly on one. we have an appt. with our naturopath in a few hours and i am hoping he can fix my sweet baby up and get us all sleeping well and healing. then i will get firmly back on track. i am madly in love with the banana, egg, almond butter pancakes right now. yum! i didn't even weigh in today because i knew the news wasn't what i needed so i will just weigh in again next week.

how are you feeling jta mom?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2bgrn View Post
glad you made it home safe violet. sorry you are allergic to az. i sure wish dh would move me away from here. *sigh* we are blessed with alot of family here so i just have to make the best of it and enjoy all of the help. i need to write down your recipe for the roast... it sounds simple and delicious.

you are amazing crunchymama. we started off the same and you are blowing me away. good job sticking to it!

lisamarie... what do you put in your tzatziki? your greek feast sounds amazing and is making my mouth water. i super love bikram yoga and bought a ton of classes a few years ago for a crazy cheap price and still have like 25. now i just need the motivation to get there.

so i am sucking majorly right now. af started last week and i started feeling better, only to have my littlest come down with the yuckies on friday. no sleep the last few weeks is wearing on me. ugh. i have been doing well two meals a day and then messing up badly on one. we have an appt. with our naturopath in a few hours and i am hoping he can fix my sweet baby up and get us all sleeping well and healing. then i will get firmly back on track. i am madly in love with the banana, egg, almond butter pancakes right now. yum! i didn't even weigh in today because i knew the news wasn't what i needed so i will just weigh in again next week.

how are you feeling jta mom?
I make SO much at a time! I use about 6 cups (2 store bought big 24 ounce containers) greek yogurt....I started making my own yogurt but not always. 2 hothouse cucumbers diced, sprinkle with salt, and let strain in a strainer at room temp for about an hour. Juice of about 2 lemons, and a couple tblspoons of minced garlic. They LOVE it really garlicky, oh and about 1/4 cup good olive oil. Just stir it all together. It lasts a while in the fridge.

I have NO clue what to make for dinner.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Hi all! Man time flies!!!

Ok, I'm going to do goals this month as well:

Current weight:

158 lbs

1. I want to lose 4 more pounds by Valentines Day
2. Complete the push up challenge
3. Yoga every morning.
4. Weight train twice a week.

So I'm IF'ing until after yoga class, and this will be my second ever 24 hour fast. The last one went well, it was unintentional! I ate a late lunch and then didn't eat again until I realized I was STARVING the next day around 4pm. I had a slight panic as I was out with a friend and she'd been stuffing her face all morning with pastries and pepsi, but I was saved by spicy gluten free peperoni sticks!!!

Anyways, I'm going to throw some pork, red wine, homemade bbq sauce into the crockpot, and then pull it when I get home, and top it with fried eggs for supper. (With a salad) Mmmmmmmm... I don't even miss the bun with this meal.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 PM

Lisa- can't wait to hear your time. I think I'm gonna try it on Saturday. I have the most time then. I have been looking for something different, but hard, this fits the bill. What are box jumps?

I have been doing pretty well with carbs. I am in my "skinny" size 4's today and they have room (on bloated days they are TIGHT). I don't think I have been super low carb in awhile, but def. keeping it under 100g. Last night I made my famous (in my house anyway) Chicken Chili...it was yum! I struggled with what to do with beans vs. no beans. I ended up adding a bunch more veggies (carrots, celery, onions, cilantro, and bell pepper) and instead of 2 cans of beans used only 1 can. So, not super low carb, but not terrible, and it was so good.

I had some for lunch today too. It was after a good workout and a 17 hour IF...it was fantastic.

So far I've had a small cup of chicken chili
1 small cup of plain greek yogurt with stevia
1 handful of nuts
1 piece of beef jerky
1 small salad (mostly greens)

Not sure what we're having for dinner, I'll have to see what dh has planned. I will probably have a big salad cause I'm not very hungry.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Ryleigh's mama- Eden brand has organic soy black beans which are LC friendly. They taste pretty much the same, just a tiny bit nutty.

V

Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 AM

crunchy mama - after you said that I googled the 300 workout I had never heard of it! I mean I've done hard circuits and have read other's workouts that are similar but never heard it called anything....

So I worked out. I am very pleased taht i finished and didn't break much at all, but I didn't get a true time because 1) I forgot to charge my ipod, so I could not help but be interupted a couple short times, once by a very chatty girl that I tried to not notice 2.) This is my first kicking my own butt day back to the gym in almost 3 weeks since all this crappy sickness with my house started! I"ve excercised a little but nothing so hard. So basically wednesday i'll of course beat my time. It was like 40some minutes. I had to go to the bathroom to finish hacking out my lung once . And I breaked for a few minutes to do some v-ups for abs because i needed a breather.

So the 300 workout if you google it is a little different, and I forgot to add clean and press to my list before so here's what I do:

25 pullups
100 pushups
50 deadlifts
50 squats
50 box jumps
50 clean and press, using dumbells, alternating sides so 25 each side.

I'm going to do it wed and sat again. Wed for real and for time. Tonight I did sets like this: 5 pullups, 20 pushups, 10 box jumps - ryleighsmmom box jumps are just platform jumps. There are 3 sizes at my gym and I use the 24 inch one. Just jump up and off wtih two feet. They are freakin hard, especially when you use them as plyos inbetween sets.

Then I moved on after completing all the pullups, pushups and jump squats to the rest: 10 deadlifts, then 10 squats, the 10 clean and press.

This gives IME the best total body thing, keeping you going the whole time and structuring the sets this way staggers how directly work the upper/lower half. Like the box jumps give your arms a minute between pull/pushups, then after squats/deads you press giving your legs a small break
Old 02-02-2010, 02:42 AM

ROCKED THE 24 HOUR IF!!!

I forgot how wonderful yoga feels in a fasted state!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 AM

lil earthmomma- Congrat's on your 24 hour IF!!! That is awesome!

Lisa- awesome workout! I am definitely doing it on Saturday. I do a lot of those things already, but not usually all in one workout, and usually with some different stuff in between....anyway, this sounds great. I love new workout ideas.

Crunchy- I meant to tell you earlier, Great job on your goals! You are doing such a great job. I love your menu list above, some great ideas.

Violet- Thank you for the bean idea, I didn't even realize that there were bean alternatives.

Wnt2begreen- I had a couple of weeks like that a couple of weeks ago, it was rough...good news is, it ended somehow. It was def. lack of sleep and not feeling well that did me in too. Hope you are sleeping better asap and you all feel better soon.

You all are so motivating!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

thai chicken soup w/ cauliflowr rice (made w/ fresh bone broth)
crunchy_mama, how do you make your cauliflower rice? I haven't tried making it yet.

I made my meal plan as well, and really want to stick to it!

Tuesday:
Breakfast: eggs poached in spicy italian sausage marinara
Lunch: Spicy jalapeno chicken salad (if I'm hungry) chicken soup for boys
Dinner: Pork Chops with mushroom white wine sauce, apple walnut salad

Wednesday:
Breakfast: omlettes
Lunch: BLT salad (if I'm hungry) chicken and broccoli stirfry for boys
Dinner: French onion soup (sans bread) and Cobb salad with warm bacon dressing

Thursday:
Breakfast: Almond flour pancakes topped with raspberry coulis, and bacon
Lunch: seafood salad (if I'm hungry) "roll ups" for boys
Dinner: IF

Friday:
Breakfast: IF
Dinner: ??? Unsure as we are visiting my parents! Although I'll probably do the cooking!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
Here's the recipe:

-stuff meat (pork roast) with garlic cloves (cut slits in meat)
-brown in hot oil
- cover top with black pepper, caraway seeds, salt, garlic powder, paprika
-drizzle olive oil over roast
-put in oven at 375F
-About an hour later add some water, onions and diced garlic
-roast another 45-60 minutes
-let rest 10 min before slicing
-you can make a gravy out of the drippings
sounds yummy and easy, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2bgrn View Post

thanks so much!

sleep dep and sick kids is killer! what I do when that stuff is going on is try to just focus on maintaining- eat as much as I want of low carb foods- often I find that I have deprived myself or something and need a few carb up days and then back to reg and it actually helps me w/ weightloss in the long term. Of course we are all different- hugs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Ok, I'm going to do goals this month as well:

Current weight:
158 lbs
1. I want to lose 4 more pounds by Valentines Day
2. Complete the push up challenge
3. Yoga every morning.
4. Weight train twice a week.

Anyways, I'm going to throw some pork, red wine, homemade bbq sauce into the crockpot, and then pull it when I get home, and top it with fried eggs for supper. (With a salad) Mmmmmmmm... I don't even miss the bun with this meal.
I will be so excited to see how everyone does on their goals! And totally jealous if you lose 4 lbs by VDay- would love to do that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
I have been doing pretty well with carbs. I am in my "skinny" size 4's today and they have room (on bloated days they are TIGHT). I don't think I have been super low carb in awhile, but def. keeping it under 100g. Last night I made my famous (in my house anyway) Chicken Chili...it was yum! I struggled with what to do with beans vs. no beans. I ended up adding a bunch more veggies (carrots, celery, onions, cilantro, and bell pepper) and instead of 2 cans of beans used only 1 can. So, not super low carb, but not terrible, and it was so good.

I had some for lunch today too. It was after a good workout and a 17 hour IF...it was fantastic.

So far I've had a small cup of chicken chili
1 small cup of plain greek yogurt with stevia
1 handful of nuts
1 piece of beef jerky
1 small salad (mostly greens)
soup sounds good to me! And you are in your jeans- KUDOS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
crunchy mama - after you said that I googled the 300 workout I had never heard of it! I mean I've done hard circuits and have read other's workouts that are similar but never heard it called anything....

So I worked out. I am very pleased taht i finished and didn't break much at all, but I didn't get a true time because 1) I forgot to charge my ipod, so I could not help but be interupted a couple short times, once by a very chatty girl that I tried to not notice 2.) This is my first kicking my own butt day back to the gym in almost 3 weeks since all this crappy sickness with my house started! I"ve excercised a little but nothing so hard. So basically wednesday i'll of course beat my time. It was like 40some minutes. I had to go to the bathroom to finish hacking out my lung once . And I breaked for a few minutes to do some v-ups for abs because i needed a breather.

So the 300 workout if you google it is a little different, and I forgot to add clean and press to my list before so here's what I do:

25 pullups
100 pushups
50 deadlifts
50 squats
50 box jumps
50 clean and press, using dumbells, alternating sides so 25 each side.
Sounds like you are getting your strength back! You and ryleigh's mama are my current workout heros- I will live vicariously through you I love the idea of the 300 workout, maybe soon for me I tried to watch that movie(300) here while back for inspiration but I totally couldn't get into the style of it, but man they were totally ripped. IIRC Butler worked out at a CF gym to get in shape for the part.
Quote:
ROCKED THE 24 HOUR IF!!!

I forgot how wonderful yoga feels in a fasted state!
Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
Crunchy- I meant to tell you earlier, Great job on your goals! You are doing such a great job. I love your menu list above, some great ideas.
Thank you and thank you!

Quote:
crunchy_mama, how do you make your cauliflower rice? I haven't tried making it yet.

I made my meal plan as well, and really want to stick to it!

Tuesday:
Breakfast: eggs poached in spicy italian sausage marinara
Lunch: Spicy jalapeno chicken salad (if I'm hungry) chicken soup for boys
Dinner: Pork Chops with mushroom white wine sauce, apple walnut salad

Wednesday:
Breakfast: omlettes
Lunch: BLT salad (if I'm hungry) chicken and broccoli stirfry for boys
Dinner: French onion soup (sans bread) and Cobb salad with warm bacon dressing

Thursday:
Breakfast: Almond flour pancakes topped with raspberry coulis, and bacon
Lunch: seafood salad (if I'm hungry) "roll ups" for boys
Dinner: IF

Friday:
Breakfast: IF
Dinner: ??? Unsure as we are visiting my parents! Although I'll probably do the cooking!
on the rice I just grate it, sometimes steam it first, but in the soup I just throw it in there. your menu plan is much more in depth than mine- I need to work more on bfast ideas!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty good day yesterday, I was a bit munchy, but not too bad.

bfast-eggs and bacon(meant to stay away but it is sooo hard! need to make some sausage)
snack- dark chco (curse my husband for buying it!)
lunch-liver pate w/ hardboiled eggs and dipped w/ celery
supper- thai chicken soup(tomatoes, onions and cauliflower for veggies and some coco milk in it)

Oh, and I had a few bites of the leftovr coco flour banana bread for bfast as well, but it wasn't much- less than 1/4 of a cup.

All of us seem to be back to normal and feeling good ! YA! Not sure what today holds- think I will make meatballs for super tonight and eggs and veggie hash for the kids and an omelette for myself. for bfast.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Does anyone have a going on 6 year old boy who is so attached mama he sleeps with her follows her around and cannot bear the thought of 30 seconds without her that can reassure me he will detatch from the hip at some point before he's a teenager?!? My precious little boy I love him so dearly

WHOA I am sore today. Not achy but I can feel pretty much every muscle in my body after working out last night LOL.

I'm excited I bought some fresh fish at the market yesterday, spending way too much on it and we are going to have a feast wtih it tonight. I bought 2 big filets of some rock fish, and 2 huge cod filets. I love mine just baked with some salt/pepper, lemon slices and sprigs of dill. The kids really like theirs cut in to kind of strips and pan fried. I dust them with flour and fry them in coconut oil/clarified butter mix. And I make homemade tartar sauce with light flavored olive oil that we pretty much eat AS the side dish instead of dip. It's so good and it's the one time no one even wants to eat a grainy side dish.

And get this - After 2 long years of waiting, DD had egg last night. Probably a quarter of an egg worth, and no troubles!!! I was so happy I thought I would cry. She has been very very strictly away from them for 1 year, and before that I trialed them by giving her literally a pinpoint amount mixed in to some ketchup, and she reacted wtih a rash instantly. Maybe it helps that we found a new farm that uses no soy organic feed? Not sure but i'm thrilled.

Wow so awesome for all you losin mamas!!!!! And I'm not sure if I could manage a 24 hour fast that is impressive. DOes it serve a purpose? I mean like is it good for detoxing or something and do you eat ANYthing? Like fresh juice or tea or something to keep you going? I kind of start getting shaky after half a day. Longest I usually can go is like around noon
Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

lisamarie- that is soooo wonderful about the eggs! I well understand the excitement! I tried hommade ghee here yesterday and so far so good.

on the fasting it is recommended not to take in any calories- I usually just do water- I have only ever fasted up to 21 hrs I believe.

awesome you are sore! that always makes me feels so good(in an odd sadistic way!).

Old 02-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Lisa Marie: I can only IF for 1/2 a day too. I do get hypoglycemic on LC, especially vlc and I have to eat at regular intervals, even if I'm not hungry to avoid feeling like I'm going to pass out. But that's when I'm deep in ketosis.

I did like moderate IF (or meal skipping) during vacation as we had a lot of heavy meals and my system needed more time to digest food. I think that's the idea behind IF, to give the digestive system a break.

Yay on the egg. Enjoy the fish!

I am good today. Have a Nyquil hangover but the asthma flare has been vanquished. Just lounging today and recovering. Hopefully by tomorrow, I'll be raring to go.

Other than that, no news on the LC front.

V

Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
Lisa Marie: I can only IF for 1/2 a day too. I do get hypoglycemic on LC, especially vlc and I have to eat at regular intervals, even if I'm not hungry to avoid feeling like I'm going to pass out. But that's when I'm deep in ketosis.

I did like moderate IF (or meal skipping) during vacation as we had a lot of heavy meals and my system needed more time to digest food. I think that's the idea behind IF, to give the digestive system a break.

Yay on the egg. Enjoy the fish!

I am good today. Have a Nyquil hangover but the asthma flare has been vanquished. Just lounging today and recovering. Hopefully by tomorrow, I'll be raring to go.

Other than that, no news on the LC front.

V
Wow I hope you are better soon. I know the troubles of "medicine" hangovers but sometimes you just NEED them. I don't know if I'd fast a whole day or if I have reason to want to. I do like the feeling of not eating until later in the morning, like I have my coffee get the kids ready, and we all eat a brunch hour. I seem to get kinda shaky if I go too long without food. If I eat say a large portion of steak or roast which I do maybe once a week, I think I'm good half a day, but I eat more eggs and vegetation than most I think and maybe that stuff doesn't hold you as long. I am not willing to eat more beef right now myself until I can find a place to buy a side of beef. Our last grass fed meat was so bad, I mean BAD. WE gave a lot away and couldn't eat it. I am spending so much on meat lately, the kids and DH get bigger portions because I'm happy to make up for it with something else but I want the kids to eat as much as they want of it.

My kids seem to be sleeping in today!! Maybe I should stop drinking coffee since this is my 4th cup LOL
Old 02-02-2010, 03:39 PM

This is a good place to start:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/

"benefits which include decreases in blood pressure, reduction in oxidative damage to lipids, protein and DNA, improvement in insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake, as well as decreases in fat mass."

BTW, I wasn't awake for all 24 hours, I ate dinner, and then ate dinner the next day.

ETA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-activity/ This article has a really neat study in it too!!!

"Fasting, even short, between-meal breaks, promotes the activation of Foxa2 and the resulting formation of MCH and orexin – as well as their activity-inducing effects. A simple survival principle explains this: a hungry animal needs to get up and move to find food. On the other hand, if we are constantly swimming in the insulin of eating and post-eating states, we’re undermining our own motivation (and biochemical stimulus) to get up and burn off what we just ate."

Primal eating has totally wiped out any hypoglycemia I used to experience, and I don't get the shakes or dizzy or hunger panic!

Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Ok that would be maybe doable if it's from dinner to dinner. The longer I eat this way the less weird feeling I get when I don't eat for a while. I have TOTALLY rid myself of all my digestive troubles which is truly amazing!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Do you guys go into ketosis? I am finding that my body keeps trying to go into ketosis and then I rebel. It is odd and I really am not trying for that but find after a several real lc days I feel it. I get dizziness but it is not the hypoglycemia dizziness, don't know how to explain it.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Do you guys go into ketosis? I am finding that my body keeps trying to go into ketosis and then I rebel. It is odd and I really am not trying for that but find after a several real lc days I feel it. I get dizziness but it is not the hypoglycemia dizziness, don't know how to explain it.
Is it kind of a vibrating feeling? I feel that way at the end of a fast.

I don't purposely put myself into ketosis (I know I dip into ketosis during a IF) because I'm bfing, so I don't try to go really lc. I unintentionally have really lc days, but they are usually followed by some moderately lc days.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Vibraty- yep that is it I had several vlc days last week due to being in the hospital and a lack of appetite, now I have been carbing up more, but I guess it hasn't been enough to bring me out of it. Like I said I am not aiming for ketosis as I don't like the feeling- but sometimes it is a matter of forcing myself to eat. I just need to watch it moree and next time make myself eat higher carb even if I don't feel like it, so I don't fall into ketosis.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
nym

Wow you guys have ben busy posting away. I have been super busy with work lately, its just kicking my butt. But, thats good, it makes the days go by faster.

Well last week I ended on friday being 177.0 after being low carb all week (I stayed around 50 net carbs for each day) and then on the weekend I carbed up some, and now this week I am not going low carb (ie tracking) but staying within my own relative low carb routine. This morning I weighed in at 175.0 Im so excited that by changing things around it is really working and i can see and feel the weight loss.

I feel great, I really worked on not feeling guilty for carbing up on the weekend, which is usually my downfall, Im just looking at this as a great new lifestyle and I love it!

I have started the 100 pushup challenge and am on day 3 of week one and its going okay, I can definatly feel the difference.

For those who work out with weights consistantly (lisa?! :P) Can you help me devise a simple rountine I can do in the evenings with my 10 lb weights? I usually do bicep curls and tricep kickbacks (I think thats what they are called) and I often do lunges, or walking lunges and squats, but I need to add in a few things that will work a few more areas, like my back and chest and abs!

Any help?

Im glad everyone is doing so great! You guys are awesome!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
Wow you guys have ben busy posting away. I have been super busy with work lately, its just kicking my butt. But, thats good, it makes the days go by faster.

Well last week I ended on friday being 177.0 after being low carb all week (I stayed around 50 net carbs for each day) and then on the weekend I carbed up some, and now this week I am not going low carb (ie tracking) but staying within my own relative low carb routine. This morning I weighed in at 175.0 Im so excited that by changing things around it is really working and i can see and feel the weight loss.

I feel great, I really worked on not feeling guilty for carbing up on the weekend, which is usually my downfall, Im just looking at this as a great new lifestyle and I love it!

I have started the 100 pushup challenge and am on day 3 of week one and its going okay, I can definatly feel the difference.

For those who work out with weights consistantly (lisa?! :P) Can you help me devise a simple rountine I can do in the evenings with my 10 lb weights? I usually do bicep curls and tricep kickbacks (I think thats what they are called) and I often do lunges, or walking lunges and squats, but I need to add in a few things that will work a few more areas, like my back and chest and abs!

Any help?

Im glad everyone is doing so great! You guys are awesome!!!!
Do you have an exercise ball? I think doing excercises on a ball work you harder while using less weight since your balance needs to come in to play. If you're not working out with weights much then 10 pounds should be good for now but if you like working out a little at home you might want to look in to those stackable adjustable dumbells have you seen those? So I thinks shoulders are super sexy an I always recommend working them by doing side lateral raises, and presses but fast, and with your palms facing your ears. Does that make sense? Hold the weights starting just above shoulders palms facing ears and like you are punching straight up in the air, left, right, left, right, do maybe 20 reps. It would probably be easier if I tell you a name for an excercise and if you don'ot know what it is google it and there' s TONS of video clips. Side lateral raises are great for adding that round cap to your shoulders.

Tricep kickbacks are good, but if you were going to do something for triceps I'd say bench dips and "skull crushers" would work a fuller portion of the triceps. You can work your rear delts and rhomboids by doing reverse flys. Lie face down chest on ball and "fly" your arms back like a peck fly but backwards. If 10 pounds gets too light for bicep curls you can do a super set of curls, then raise them both at the same time, and hold for a count of 10, then lower for a count of 10. Your arms will ache!

If you ever invest in any other equimpent, an adjustable dumbell set would be really good, or a moderate kettlebell. If you do a constant circuit you can get a really good workout!

Do something like :

Walking lunges, jump squats, pushups in a superset. do 3 sets then do
bicep curls and tricep skull crusher in a super sets for 3 sets then do
shoulders and maybe reverse flys, and then chest flys laying on the ball.

For back, a pullup bar that you can place in a doorway is pretty cheap and you cannot ever beat pullups for back development. And you can start with "negative" pullups at first.

For abs I think V-ups (with a medicine ball once your stronger) and planks are all you need.

Hope that helps a little. I don't like tons of equipment at my house, but i have a pullup bar, a medicine ball, 2 kettlebells, a few sets of dumbells mostly for the kids they like to follow along with me, an ez curl bar for arms.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 PM
nym

Thats so awesome Thank you Lisa!
I really needed just someone to tell me what to do. LOL as bad as that sounds, I do really well following a plan.
I do have a pull up bar- Ill get DH to put it up tonight if i can find all the pieces, and I do have an exercise ball, so that will be great!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 PM

That' s not bad at all, sometimes it's easier to just see a list of things to do and do them! I keep a journal at the gym and often I write down everything i want to do because it's hard to sometimes remember at the spur of the moment. Or if it's crowded I can reorganize easier if I see it on paper

I am going to eat sweet potatoes with dinner tonight. I've been staying really low carb but I feel like something different so I'm gonna make coconut oil roasted sweet potatoes

User Tag List