Running right past February - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jooj, thanks for that reminder. I will look for some tomorrow.

Geo, I love that visual of your daughter reading squished up to the vent. You know what's best.

When I talk about my experiences, I always worry that it will come across as my recommendation as well. My experiences -teaching & homeschooling or whatever - are such a small sliver of all the experiences out there. I appreciate the opportunities here to share and learn and feel valuable but I hope I never sound like a know-it-all and I apologize of I do. I'm constantly amazed by the wealth of information and experiences here and love learning and being a part of this amazing combination of women. You keep me humble and protect me from my "bubble" - while keeping me on my toes, too. Sometimes I feel like the more I learn, the less I know.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#662 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 AM
bec

Oooh, that was a tough swim! we did drills, mostly tonight. We were doing 50's (so, 1 full lap). 10 laps of different drills. Then, she put us in a speed order, and we raced! One swimmer would start, and the next swimmer would get in as the first one passed the first set of flags (hanging over the pool), and try to catch the first one! We sprinted one length, got out of the pool and walked back to the other side to do all over again! We did 8 lengths work of that. It was TOUGH! I am wiped out. but, it was a ton of fun, and I think I got a lot out of it!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#663 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
So. Plan for tomorrow: dress ds as James Buchanan
For some reason, this just makes me

And yay for dingo meet-ups! Glad you're having a good vacay so far, lala!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#664 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Goodness me, DS went to sleep in his crib last night for a good hour (though I did no work and just basically played on FB ) and is now currently snuggled up with DH.. and, yes, I have a bout of insomnia I think I am just habituated to wake up at 3. I'm waiting for twilight so that I can head out for a run..

Geo, the image of your dd was so beautiful. I do think that there is so much diversity with academics and age, etc., and I think it speaks a lot to your parenting that you are so knowing of your dd's needs.

Bec re: your dh's comment

jaygee what a sweet image! I do think that my little guy might be a late bloomer!

Bec and gaye (and other swimmers) I really need help with my swimming. I find it so difficult to find motivation to get to the pool, and I am hopelessly slow. I am also an incredibly lazy swimmer.. I take far too many breaks

La4, how lovely you got to see Nic!

Okay, off to prepare for a run. My thigh is sort of sore so it may not be long. I think it's from the downhill running.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#665 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 AM

to all the dingo mamas struggling to get their kids well-schooled. It's a daunting task!

FM: none for me, since I have a sore throat and a hacking cough. I ran ok on Saturday but am just not feeling up to it today. Which will probably mean two weeks in a row that I don't make my mileage goal, since I didn't do a long run on Sunday. Damn, I am sick of this weather. </whiinnnnnneeee>

Re: tenure and babies - I probably doomed myself to a low-prestige job by having babies in grad school, since I did almost no teaching as a result (one year of adjuncting, plus some assisting). I'm sure it made me a much less attractive candidate when I was job-hunting. But - I did finish, I am now employed (which lots of folks are not, in my field) and the kids are now in school which makes my work life smoother. I love my job, I'm just tired of being broke, and I'm at an institution where I won't get many opportunities for a pay raise.

Dh's new job started yesterday, and I'm cautiously optimistic. I think we'll make it the three weeks until he gets paid, and then we should be able to get ahead a bit (and pay back MIL, who loaned us money to make it through...) I'm just excited to be able to pay the bills. Ah, the thirties. Who knew the adventures would be so mundane?

Must go grade papers.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#666 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 AM

Lala, we had such a nice time with you too. I really didn't mind about the laundry! Been there, so many times! (Of course when dh asked how I knew you I said you were a LLL friend because he would have freaked that I invited over an 'imaginary' friend from mdc).

Jo, about James Buchanan. How does one dress like James Buchanan, anyway?

We were lucky to land in a diverse district with this charter Montessori. I have to say, if the public schools here were the only option, there'd be no choice but to homeschool. Florida is not renowned for the quality of its public education, but luckily for us there are a lot of charter options. So for now, we're good, although I find I do need to supplement in the history/geography areas because it doesn't seem like dd1 is getting anything to speak of in that regard. Which is frustrating, because of course, it's my field!

Although Geo's issues are unique for her (and Bec is having similar ones) I find our issues with dd1 predominantly are due to two things: 1) the age discrepancy between her and her classmates and the consequent variations in social/emotional development (she's over a year younger than some, as an October baby coming from a state with a December deadline to one with a Sept 1 deadline); and 2) major variations in her own skills -- she's very, very verbal and her reading skills are easily 7th-8th grade, but her math skills are at or below grade level, and similarly with organization, etc. She's also super artistic and sees and thinks very visually. So at the moment I think Montessori is really the only appropriate choice for her outside homeschooling; she really *needs* those materials.

On the professorial job thing...somehow although I did my Ph.d. way before children, I did not end up in academia and am now pretty much unemployable there. I think it started because I took a policy job (think tank) because dh and I were getting married and wanted to be in the same city, and at the time I finished (even now) there simply weren't many jobs in my area of my field. Then by the time I had my first, I had been in an 'applied' (policy) job for so long that I hadn't published peer reviewed articles/books, etc. (all my publishing was through the think tank). Blah blah blah. And when I needed to go back to work a few years ago, the best situation was a high school job that was in the same system as my kids, for the hours and schedule. Because with dh's unpredictable schedules/on call, one parent needs to be regular and at home. So, there you go. I am now pretty much not employable in my field. Sigh.

Bummer.

No FM today, have to get the van fixed and my legs need a rest day.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#667 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Bec and gaye (and other swimmers) I really need help with my swimming. I find it so difficult to find motivation to get to the pool, and I am hopelessly slow. I am also an incredibly lazy swimmer.. I take far too many breaks
Zub ~ unlike with running, where the more you run, the better you get, swimming really requires a good stroke before you can get better, you really need to get your stroke "right". Form before speed. My advice is to find a swimmer/swim coach to watch your stroke and make suggestions. You'll find that a better stroke itself, will make you faster, more comfortable, and less likely to need breaks .

Lalalala ~ what a fabulous visit with Nick! Enjoy Florida .

Penelope ~ hoping your DH likes his new job and all goes well with your family.

Geo ~ I also love the image of your DD curled up next to the heat and reading happily away .

Snow day.... again. It's almost comical.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#668 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 AM

My James Buchanan is wearing a black jacket and tuxedo shirt and having his hair messed up. And that will have to be good enough. They have a "presidential parade" through the school today. Working on research papers about the presidents. Ds got JB.

We have a couple Montessori schools around here, really the only non-religious option in my town. Appleton has more public charter options, including a classical school where a dear friend takes her children, and some others. The online school operates as a charter out of their district, too...I'd love to try the classical option, as it seems really appropriate for ds especially, but the drive is not an option for us in this lifestyle.

Which reminds me, Lofty, I never feel like you're preaching. But you're clearly passionate about the teaching/learning universe. Your sons are lucky for that. And I'd pick May, except dh will be in Kuwait that whole month, so...nevermind.

Penelope, here's to paying bills. And you're so right about the 30s. Feels like it's just about getting by, numbers in and numbers out, most of the time. Every time I think we're about to get "comfortable," something breaks. Ah, well...good to know it's normal, right?
#669 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 AM

It might be the snow day but I am in crisis and have a woe is me post.

Geo described my children's perfect day. Really and truly, I wish we were neighbors so the girls could sit on hot heat vents and read together. Then Alice would play teacher and teach them whatever she did at school that day. We could run while Ian made sure nobody got hurt.

We don't live that close and I can't run. We are on a snow emergency and the roads are still closed. My appointment with the trainer was today. I was hoping at least for a doctor recommendation.

One of the two ladies I run with regularly is the highschool swim coach. Maybe I'll ask her to teach me to swim if I can't run.

My kids are still sick. I know colds can linger but the coughing is disturbing our sleep. I was going to type my sleep but then it really is the poor little ones that are more disturbed.

roads closed and hurt foot: yoga morning, noon, and night.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#670 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 AM

Mommajb

Penelope, on dh starting a job. We both know I'm really in the BTDT category, big time!!!! Such a relief, right?!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#671 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 AM

Oh Mommajb . If there was ever a time for the Dingo Commune....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#672 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh, mommajb, so sorry that you're having a difficult morning. Breathe in some self-care and breathe out all that you need to... And, yes, lots of yoga

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#673 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Dingo commune: can we all get large screen monitors and let the children have a skype conference?

Online friends are "invisible" friends in this house. And very real friends of course -- my dh had them long before I did.

There's a waldorf school trying to form here and it's just simply not an option for us. Erin and Geo's K would get along charmingly because Erin needs the academics.

We're on school break this week. My kids can't handle 40 hours of childcare so dh and I are cobbling together the normal routine + monday off from daycare + whatever we can grab. It's a fun but wild week.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#674 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 AM
bec

Quote:
Teehee, she called me a swimmer!

Ok, I think I heard it here first. I had a good stroke, and pretty good form. I just couldn't last for more than a lap, maybe two. Someone said to just keep going, push through it, and somehow it just happens. I started adding one more lap each week non-stop (I could go for a long time, so long as I took breaks). By the time I got up to about 5-6 laps, I found that I had a rhythm and had figured out how to breathe. It's a very different pattern than with running, and that was throwing me off.

Dingo commune - Ah, my little children would just love the heating vent, book corner reading club. As it is, they snuggle up with pillows and blankets, all three piled on top of each other on the couch for most reading time. So blissful. I would cheerfully trade most of my neighbors for some Dingos!

#675 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 11:32 AM

I would love to snuggle up on a cushion and a heat vent. One of my DDs would, I suspect. The other would be running circles around us trying to invent pirate games.

I have a DD (7yrs) that is reluctant to learn to read and I am trying to accept lofty's approach. I know it is best for her, I really do. But it is such a leap of faith to let go when there is so much pressure to "make" her read!
On the other hand, my younger daughter is decoding reading at 4 and I have no doubt will be reading with or before her older sister. It is what she wants to learn and is ready to learn.
That is the key, for us. I am not going to force DD2 to wait any more than I want to force DD1 to start reading now. I want them both to learn when they are ready and it is enjoyable. I wish it were only easier for me to do so.

RR: I am suppose to run this evening, Day1 of my 10K training!! I think I stepped on something during the 5K this weekend and bruised my foot, though. We'll see how it feels, I might go for a short run/walk and just take it easy. Currently, I am having some pain when I put weight on my foot- in the ball of my foot between my toes. I am pretty sure it's a bruise from stepping on something.

I ordered my DDs water shoes for her 5k training. I wasn't really sure what to do for shoes, so I just got her a pair of shoes like mine. Hopefully that will work out well.
#676 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Ashcav: Sounds like a lovely run!

Memiles, I agree with you about the group pics! I love those so much - they should definitely be offered alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
My memory of teaching school was that if my kid fell in the middle, I was going to pull him. When I taught, I shunned homeschooling completely. But I knew, that if my kid fell in the middle, the middle was like this abyss - or at least it was where I taught. I realize it's not that way everywhere. The edges were the only place to be. Money is on the edges, not in the middle. There were grants - for which I wrote and got - for the edges. No money goes to the majority in the middle. Fight for the edges for superior teaching. Those teachers - and let me stress, that I DO NOT BLAME the teachers - but the teachers "on the edges" were allowed more creativity, more flexibility, and more money for their students. It was where, as a teacher, I longed to teach, but also, my heart was drawn to the ones I felt were left behind - the middle.

It's a non-sequiter, but has anyone read "Reviving Ophelia?" here?
Hm, that's probably true about the middle students. Especially the combination of well-behaved and average performance. Aren't those kids often overlooked in a classroom setting?

Haven't read that! Thanks for the reminder - another one for my amazon list.

And what a wonderful idea to get together with a friend/family member on a regular basis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
I figured it's probably never too early to learn, and hopefully this will give her something to work with at playgrounds or whatever this summer so she has a little more confidence about navigating uncomfortable situations before school. (We had a similar situation at the zoo on Friday, so it seemed timely.)
Yeah, it's never too early for that lesson.

Quote:
A good dear friend of mine was just denied tenure because of a 'research gap'... which was, of course, a child gap. it really makes me so cross,
That really does seem to place women at a disadvantage. Is there some reason why continuity is particularly important in terms of research?

Enjoy the visit with your old therapist. She sounds nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Did I mention I am assistant coaching soccer this spring? I know less about soccer than almost anything. Good thing I run, though, right? I'm doing dd's level. I'll get some training next month, and it's just April-July. I just got off the phone with the coordinator. Am I insane?!
No, not insane, it will be fun! And your dd is going to love having mom out there. Sounds like a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
Really, what can one say about Nickarolaberry? She is a lovely human being (not at all a kidnapper, psychopathic cannibal, or serial killer). Her home is beautiful, she brews good coffee, and makes an excellent banana bread. She has three delightful children who are well mannered and imaginative and whom my kids loved. She is a gracious hostess, even when her guest shows up fifteen minutes late with a shirtless child and a vomit-covered carseat. Eek.
Now that's an awesome hostess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
FM: none for me, since I have a sore throat and a hacking cough. I ran ok on Saturday but am just not feeling up to it today. Which will probably mean two weeks in a row that I don't make my mileage goal, since I didn't do a long run on Sunday. Damn, I am sick of this weather. </whiinnnnnneeee>
My mileage is suffering, too, my training plan is in tatters... I feel your pain regarding being sick and sick of winter weather.
I hope you are feeling better soon, and that spring weather is right around the corner - for everyone who needs it!

And to everyone grading papers - hang in there!

The sun finally came out today - and I'm sick with a sinus infection. I just don't feel up for a run today... should I just force myself? Take an ibuprofen and stop being a baby?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#677 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 PM

The description of the pile of books in a nest by the heating vent brought me to tears. I did that exact same thing in my childhood home. I have a feeling that if I walked into that house today, I'd curl up right there as it was my very favorite spot. I had a view of the deck and the woods, soft carpet and warm blowing air.

I will run today. I will. I'm starting to panic a bit as I've gained 4 lbs since this injury happened. Yes, I also started my period today and I'm sure that's much more the reason than not running, but it's NOT ok. I'd been maintaining with little to no effort in the food area and have gotten lazy...but I've also given away all of my clothes in a bigger size. No more cupcakes for me!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#678 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Teehee, she called me a swimmer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec
Ok, I think I heard it here first. I had a good stroke, and pretty good form. I just couldn't last for more than a lap, maybe two. Someone said to just keep going, push through it, and somehow it just happens. I started adding one more lap each week non-stop (I could go for a long time, so long as I took breaks). By the time I got up to about 5-6 laps, I found that I had a rhythm and had figured out how to breathe. It's a very different pattern than with running, and that was throwing me off.
That was probably me. I found that when I first started, I just felt like I was going to die after a few laps. But once I pushed through that wall, which turned out to be much more mental than physical, I was fine and felt like I could keep going indefinitely. Sometimes you just have to get past that initial "I can't do this anymore", and you're fine!

Off to run with friends in a few minutes. I've kind of started dreading these runs just a little bit, solely for the reason that I know I'm going to have to work really hard to keep up. Which I *need* to do, and is good for me, especially if I want to keep getting faster. I just don't like the pain. I'll appreciate it when it's done...

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#679 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Alex -- I'm a swimmer, err was a swimmer. Competitve swimmer from age 4 to 22. FWIW I know what you're talking about because I feel the same way about running. I don't swim much any more because the logisitics are so much harder. Here's what I've got to offer:
a. you are standing there, considering cold jump into pool or warm snuggle in bed. After the cold first 20 seconds, the rest will warm you up. It's like deciding not to run because you can't find your favorite water bottle. You just have to do it anyway.

b. Runners converted to swimmers usually struggle with the flexibility required for a strong kick. Ankle flexibility that is. A lot of runners find some success with using a pull buoy (that white thingie you put between your legs). Using a pull buoy gives you a little floating action. You could use it until you feel you can do 4 lengths in a row, then wean yourself off of it.

c. on breathing: you're likely using 2 arms. Consider one of them your breathing in arm and the other your blowing out arm. Left arm is out of the water and you're blowing bubbles, right arm you're breathing in.

d. on breathing #2: there's a fine line between getting enough breath in and trying to suck in too much air and then feeling a bit like you have too much to blow out. Shoot for smallish breaths. That sounds crazy huh? A lot of people suck in too much air then struggle to get it all out again by the time it's time to breath in again.

e. If you get tired on your front halfway down the pool, switch to some form of active rest -- flip over onto your back and slowly kick. Swim a different strike (breast stroke, side stroke, back stroke). Keep your body moving a bit but catch a breather too.

and finally
just do it.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#680 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 PM

On swimming - getting some lessons was a huge help. Turns out you should breath every 2-3 strokes, not every 6 or 7 like I was attempting. Once I got that I could swim many laps in a row. Then I took a 6 week lesson and it took 4 of those weeks for me to figure out the proper stroke, once I had that bit of insight swimming became very enjoyable.

Gaye - have fun. I know what you mean about keeping up. I'm hoping to find some riding partners this summer that I can 'chase'.

Today forward motion - hour long ski planned. Just on the rec path here, which will be a crappy ski because it's not really tracked or anything. But I want to get a feel for it before my "race" on the 28th.

I seem to have found the secret to happiness in my marriage - win a championship. DH is delighted with me. Between my win and his little vacation in AZ, he's a different man. This week at least. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
#681 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM

The schooling talk on here is very interesting. I have my own personal issues with public education, but it's the only choice for us. I wish I felt better about it, but I'm hoping dh and I can help make up any deficits.

lofty~I love the faith you have in your son. He's immensely lucky to have you.

mommajb~ It WILL get better. All of it.

<---That's me after eleven straight days of snow-induced family time. I was doing great until day and now I think I need some "me" time. I'm trying to be gentle with myself but I just yelled at my kiddoes (for spilling milk and peeing at the table ) and I'm not happy about it.

rr~3 miles on the TM yesterday. Might try for another 3-5 today. Or not.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#682 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
bec

Well, I'm back from the meeting. It was pretty excruciating, but it's done. The bottom line is that they are finally starting to admit that she needs more than she is getting. She will be going with the gifted coordinator every other week for extra math work. She will be going in with the 1st grade class as a pull out and put in with their top reading group for reading/literature. She will be reevaluated in the spring and we will have another conference in May to discuss the next steps.

I brought up my continued stand that she should be skipped to the next grade, and there seemed to be some softening to their rigid stance of denial on that front. I am going to push some of her basic math facts so she is more secure with them and they are more automatic, and we'll see how she does. They didn't get to some of the higher math concepts with her because of her speed on the computation of addition and subtraction facts.

While I am not wholly satisfied, I am seeing steps in the right direction.

#683 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Bec, that sounds promising. At least they are acknowledging that changes need to be made. Getting her in front of those other teachers could also really help, as they are probably more objective than her regular classroom teacher.

FM: 4 miles with two walk/stretch breaks. The first 1.5 was endless, but looking back it was a combination of overthinking every twinge and legs that are truly tired from the maniac Total Body Conditioning instructor yesterday (plyo plus a billion squats). When I hit two miles suddenly all felt really good. I was super slow, but I'm trying not to think about that right now until I find my happy place again. Ended with the hike up the mountain, then cooled down with about 10 minutes walking and a bit of jogging barefoot in the park at the end of our street. I could really feel the difference in my barefoot stride and am going to try to recreate that motion on my next run and see if it helps.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#684 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM

bec, it sounds like you are seeing progress. Is it time to focus on next years placement?

gaye, run your run and enjoy your new pace.

grnmtnmama, bask all the delight that surrounds you. We are also delighted to have a champion in our midst.

Towson, I think that after 11 snow bound days you are entitled to cry over spilt milk. Add in some stray urine and there is no telling what you are entitled to.

kerc, if I have to learn to swim I'll keep your tips in mind (and probably be a nuisance asking for more).

My appointment is rescheduled with the trainer. We are having smoothies in swimsuits with beach towels and playing Wii. It is the tropics in the middle of winter here. Can you feel the sunshine? It has been 380+ days since I last did a body test on the Wii and I have gained 3.3 pounds. I think I quit becuse I knew my weight was low and I didn't want to see the gain. Having been so long it hurts less.

Dh and ds shoveled the driveways and sidewalks before the road restrictions were lifted. The county is still level 1 but the city is down to a 2 so he went in to get papers he needs. He said he would be back before dark...

What is the snow situation for others in IN and OH? We got over 10 inches but can't tell beyond that due to drifting.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#685 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bec, that's good, interested to see about the follow through. Our general problem is a great conversation, follow through the next day, then nothing. Did you get anything in writing?

mommajb, we're at at least 8", but it's still coming down pretty steadily. If they call off school tomorrow, it'll be the end of me. Everyone has pretty nasty ice dams going on. The paper suggest placing panty hose filled with salt across the gutters to cut a groove in the ice and give the water a path downwards. They work pretty well! I've seen several in the neighborhood already.

Running group is going out tonight. :
#686 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 04:29 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
bec, it sounds like you are seeing progress. Is it time to focus on next years placement?
We are going to be meeting again in May, after the spring testing to figure out a plan for next year. The superintendent wanted the principal to have figured out what teacher she would be with next year, as well as the test results from the other kids that they are wanting to cluster her with. The principal did not look pleased about that, but didn't seem inclined to argue with the superintendent. I still feel that a grade skip is indicated, and while they seem to be softening on that position, they are still wanting to try to keep her in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Bec, that's good, interested to see about the follow through. Our general problem is a great conversation, follow through the next day, then nothing. Did you get anything in writing?
We have had that same experience, hence all the frustration and the many conferences this year. We did just get an email from her teacher with a schedule for Emily's time with the 1st grade class. It will be every day for 40-50 minutes. At least she will be engaged and challenged for almost a whole hour every day. I plan on keeping a very close eye on this.

RR: I just did 3.5 miles on the treadmill. Warmed up for 2 miles, and then did 3 x 400 at 8% incline. Geesh! Hills are not my friends!

#687 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM

Oh My Goodness, you guys with the snow. It's just not fun anymore, is it? We had our one day and it was bliss, but this much sounds so tough. I had to pull out the sunglasses today and inside my car, I was absolutely baking, so if your kids are out of school and you need to get out of there, you are welcome in texas. (We'll run barefoot. )

Grnmtnmama, love that you found the secret to your marriage!!!

MommaJB, When will you see the hs swim coach again?

Towsonmama, thanks for the kind words. So much of parenting is a leap of faith. About the snow day, have you already tried every trick in the book? After 11 days, I guess there aren't any tricks left, huh? Sounds like you really need a non-parenting day. After 11 days in a row, I sure would - just an "off" don't-talk-to-me kinda day. Can you go to a movie and see back to back features? See it twice as a joke? Can the kids write a movie? A play? Of course, I've never done this myself. Can you have a "backwards" day - start off with dinner and reading and end the day with breakfast, etc? Or an "upside down" day in which they're the parents and you're the kid and they decide on food, activities, schedule, etc? I don't know. I really can't imagine. And go ahead and lose it! Can you get everybody together to lose it together? Everyone spend a few minutes just losing it at the top of their lungs? I know I'm reaching. Sorry...

For those snowed in, if you have internet access and Lego-lovers, there's a Lego program you can download for FREE and the kids can create their very own lego design and even order it (or not) if they want. I want to try this, but I don't have high-speed and my laptop isn't compatible, but it looks cool.

Bec, I'm glad you're finally making progress. Phew. Like Geo said, did you get anything in writing? It's a step but in the whole bureaucratic process, it's a step in the right direction.

No FM today. It's a perfect day for exercise, beautiful, in the mid-40s and sunny, but my company left this morning and I did a lot in the last few days. I haven't been in my car in almost a whole week, so I'm running the roads, sitting at a coffee shop, etc. I'm taking today off.

Jooj, thanks for that reassurance. How's your day going?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#688 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Bec: Progress That's good to hear. It's not everything, but it's the right direction. Oh, and our 2nd grade teacher doesn't think that how quickly the kids can work the problems is crucial. In his words, that's just a matter of practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
The paper suggest placing panty hose filled with salt across the gutters to cut a groove in the ice and give the water a path downwards.
Hm, cool idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Towson, I think that after 11 snow bound days you are entitled to cry over spilt milk. Add in some stray urine and there is no telling what you are entitled to.
Oh yeah, that's the truth. Well put, mommajb!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#689 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
Bec: Progress That's good to hear. It's not everything, but it's the right direction. Oh, and our 2nd grade teacher doesn't think that how quickly the kids can work the problems is crucial. In his words, that's just a matter of practice.
That's what I always thought, too. She has obviously mastered the concept, but doesn't have the facts automatically yet (neither does my almost 9 year old, but that's another issue). I would have hoped they would have seen beyond that, and to understand that she has a deeper understanding, even if she does still need to figure her addition/subtraction facts out manually.

The red tape, paperwork, and hoops that we are having to jump through are just giving me such a headache! But, we are making steps, even if they are just baby steps.

#690 of 1121 Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM

towson~Seriously. 11 days?! You are MORE than entitled to lose it, in my opinion. I can barely stand 2 days!

bec~Glad that it sounds like some forward progress is being made. Keeping for you!

Run, done. 5 miles, just over 10 min pace, which is actually a little slow (!) these days. It *felt* like we were working much harder than that, though! It was good, and Thursday's run will be easy, since we're all racing on Saturday. I'd really like to get out there and push and see what I can do on Saturday, but we shall see how I'm feeling, I guess.

DS is at school, I need to shower and do a zillion other things in the next hour and a half. Odds on me getting more than one of those zillion things done?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page