Running right past February - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wendy I'm thinking of you today, Plady. I agree with Mel, do the pinata.

Doctorjen ~ oooooh, a results list! I'm intrigued!

DD2 and I are having a lazy afternoon at home. Classical music on the radio, banana muffins baking, and now she's very busy drawing with stencils while I MDC .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Plady Yes, do the pinata...and speed forward the day.

3mi on TM, then 20 min on elliptical and a few crunches.

Meeting in 15min.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:49 PM

for Plady and Wendy

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Plady.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 PM

Plady.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
oh, Plady 2 I'm so sorry... Let this day be short. Wendy

Mommajb, I hear you on the training front. I don't know if I could be balanced in any way were I training for a marathon. I think you're more than capable of a sub 3:45 marathon, though. Hope it went well for your dd today

DrJen, hope your trip was wonderful!

Gaye, what's the Daily Mile team stuff? Glad to see you got out for a run this morning, tho.

Cali. I'm despairing too!! DS is a nightmare to put to bed right now. He's not quite 7 months so I know I shouldn't hve high expectations but our desire is for him to sleep on his own for just a couple of hours so that I don't have to go to bed VERY early. he's ready for bd around 7pm. We start the bedtime routine at 6ish. He would stay asleep in his hammock for a few hours, but transitioning him to his crib is miserable. This is DH's job but in the end I go back upstairs, usually, and nurse DS back to sleep in our bed and then I just stay there. I could really do with a couple of hours to work in the evening.. and/or have a bit of time on my own. Any tips, dingos? I dare not ask this question on the sleep part of the MDC as I a bit fearful that I will be told my expectations are too high. Right now it helps t think that TONIGHT could be the night that he sleeps a bit in his crib. We absolutely love cosleeping so it's mostly wanting a safe place for ds to sleep before we go to bed.

Jo, you are so committed! I am trying to do no less than 45 mins of cardio at a time so that I use my time more efficiently.

Do any of you WOH mamas work at home sometimes? I'm trying to on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I feel pretty strongly that DS should be with me or DH as much as possible for the first year. I don't get much done and would love tips on how to manage it. I feel lucky that I have tenure given how little research I;ve done in the past two years

5.7 miles this morning in 50 minutes. it was an okay run, but I can't shake this cold and my legs are really sore and tired from Sunday. Still, it wasn't as cold as Sunday and I remembered my windbreaker I'm thinking of doing a local 10 miler on Sunday. It's a difficult course, according to my DH... I don't know if I want to be 'officially' really slow

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
Old 02-02-2010, 05:59 PM

Plady.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 02-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Plady Wendy

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 02-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Wendy

Plady

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 PM

(((Plady))) Thinking about you today
Wendy

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 02-02-2010, 06:47 PM

kerc~It's the plastic bracket that holds the rail whatchamacallit (the thing the shelf/drawer slides on) into the wall in the back of the cabinet. It broke, dumping the shelf (and contents) into the bottom of the cabinet. If I can get motivated here after I get off MDC, I'm going to try googling the manufacturer and see if I have any luck there. I was hoping to be able to waltz into Home Depot, get a replacement, slap it in, and be back in business, but no such luck.

plady~ and for Wendy. I think I agree that you should give the pinata a go...maybe it will bring some unexpected joy.

alex~The dailymile team is basically a group of people they selected to be brand ambassadors. www.dailymile.com/team I don't really know exactly what the duties and perks are going to be, but it sounded really cool, and I dailymile, so I was kind of bummed. Oh well. I still have my Brooks ID membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Place holding for a trial run of a "results" list. Will post tonight if able to keep eyes open!
Ooh...me likey!

Today is going better, so far anyway. Thanks, dingos. I think I'm slipping into a slightly-delayed post-race funk. I just didn't expect it because it usually hits much sooner! I was talking to a friend as we were running this morning about how I just feel adrift right now, with no real goals, or at least nothing in immediate sight. I think I'm going to make a change on that, though, so I can start moving on.

So, with that said...I need some advice. Do you guys think it's crazy to try to go sub-2 hours for a half-mary in just over two months? That's a 9:09 pace. I can hold 10 minute pace for 12 miles now, and I wouldn't call it easy, but it doesn't kill me. And if so, how do I get there in that amount of time?

In non-running news, my DVR is pretty much done. Dead. Crap. They're sending me a new one (and I even got the $15 shipping waived by offering to go pick it up ) but it won't be here until Thursday. And, of course, Tuesday is my big tv watching night ...Biggest Loser, Lost, NCIS...I really hope it works just for 3 short hours tonight, so I can watch it all! And then, once the new one arrives, I have to figure out how to pull the tv out (extremely large and heavy) to attempt to install the new one. Mind you, I have no clue how any of that stuff works (tv, receiver, surround sound, etc) b/c XH hooked it up. And while I would probably be ok with calling him to come hook it up for me, he's out of town.

rr~A really nice 4.5 miles with friends this morning. We had a really good pace, too, I felt like. 10:22, with strollers, and the first half was uphill into a stiff headwind. My hamstrings are still protesting a bit, but not too bad.

Must. Go. Get. Showered.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks for all the love mamas, that and having the little girls home from school really makes me feel a lot better.
Maybe you're right and the pinata will be a good thing. We've kind of overdosed on sugar already today because I went to the bakery while I was feeling sorry for myself! <- That's my head in the bag of almond and chocolate croissants.

Gaye - I'm not surprised it took this long for the doldrums to hit, you were moving too fast until just now! Have you tried Lowes? Or maybe you'll get lucky with the manufacturer. Careful moving your tv!

Alex - Can you just leave him in his hammock until you are ready to go to bed anyway? Never move a sleeping baby right?

lemurmommies - Welcome to the Dingo Cafe.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 PM

Plady - thinking of you and your family today and hoping the day passes as fast as you need it to.

RM - OMG water problem. Hope it's not too hard to clean up

Zub - I've attempted to work at home during various stages in K's life, and still have to when he's sick or has no school and it's not really easy. As in, I never figured out how to tend to the child and tend to the work at the same time and give them both the attention they needed. When he was a baby and would nap 3-4 hours during a day I could get a lot done, but mostly babies and kids require so much love and attention that being the primary care person and working at the same time means that one thing doesn't get the appropriate attention. I think Eksmom works from home a lot, but I also think her DH is there as the primary care person. That being said, your experience may be different.

so 24 hours later I seem to be re-animating from my virus or whatever. My guts still aren't quite right, and every so often they send out a pile of pain, but at least i can get off the couch and out of the bed. I'm really bummed about having to miss a day of work right before vacation, but honestly there's nothing that I could have done.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Plady

I have not been running The IT band and whatever else are still flaring. Last week I planned to start running again and then couldn't walk without limping around. So, today I went to the gym to take a strength class and found out it has been changed to pilates. I was sort of irked, but actually it turned out to be just the right thing! I will be back for more pilates next week.

I will be following along and keeping up!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 PM

Plady

Just waiting for DH to get home so I can go run. It's 7F outside and not windy. I'm not even wearing a vest. I hope I don't get too hot!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 PM
bec

Plady

I bailed on my planned run in favor of shoveling snow. I wish I had run instead.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM

RR: a quick 3m this morning - too jammed up with work to do the 5 I'd planned. Sigh. But it's much, much better than nothing.

I'm super tired and not feeling the work love today. Did have a good lunch with my colleague and it turned out he had a couple of points to make in his lecture that he needed help researching so we zipped back to our offices and dug out a bunch of books and I helped him make power point slides. It's kind of fun to do a spur-of-the-moment research project like that!

Slogging through winter bites. That's my thought for the day.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM

More s plady...

And thanks for the suggestion..I don't think I was very clear - but ds has outgrown his hammock so we're having to pop his straight into his crib. DH has gone upstairs now to try..

Thanks, Mandy... That makes a lot of sense. Mostly I;m using the days to respond to email, which is pretty easy. I've been doing the 'thoughtful work' in the evenings/mornings when DH has ds... Today I had the laptop on the floor whilst ds played and managed to get some emails sent. It was like we were parallel playing

I'm sitting here with the dogs hoping, hoping that this is the night that DS can be in his crib for more than 3 minutes! Otherwise it's my bedtime soon

Nemesis, that sounds ! Do you warm up quickly? I definitely need less clothing than most when it comes to cold weather running. I have a very odd internal thermometer.

Bec

Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
RR: a quick 3m this morning - too jammed up with work to do the 5 I'd planned. Sigh. But it's much, much better than nothing.

I'm super tired and not feeling the work love today. Did have a good lunch with my colleague and it turned out he had a couple of points to make in his lecture that he needed help researching so we zipped back to our offices and dug out a bunch of books and I helped him make power point slides. It's kind of fun to do a spur-of-the-moment research project like that!

Slogging through winter bites. That's my thought for the day.
I hear you, Penelope s. Sorry that work is so crazy.. What's your teaching load like? I'm just about to set assignments and I'm just dreading the grading. One of my colleagues often says he teaches for free and gets paid to grade. it really is the pits.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 PM

I remember those days of very early bedtime. It isn't so bad when you do actually fall asleep - better than being stuck in bed awake making mental lists of things that need to be done.

It does pass, more quickly in retrospect than in real time. Try to embrace it even on nights when the routine is difficult to endure.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Nemesis, that sounds ! Do you warm up quickly? I definitely need less clothing than most when it comes to cold weather running. I have a very odd internal thermometer.
I think mostly it's because I am carrying a lot of extra weight, but I do get really hot. I did when I was much thinner, but I had awful cardio fitness back then. So.. I don't know.

It was a good run, but I'm just mentally drained from the constant car search and upcoming soap work.

I hope you all have peaceful, restful nights.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I'm sitting here with the dogs hoping, hoping that this is the night that DS can be in his crib for more than 3 minutes! Otherwise it's my bedtime soon
Oh, how I remember those days. My son just started sleeping though the night two weeks before his birthday... his 3rd birthday. It's so weird now to be able to pop him into bed at bedtime, read him some stories, and then turn off the light and have him go to sleep. In the thick of things, I didn't think we'd ever get to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I think mostly it's because I am carrying a lot of extra weight, but I do get really hot. I did when I was much thinner, but I had awful cardio fitness back then. So.. I don't know.
Most of my running so far has been in weather around the 9-5F mark, and I too find that it's not as cold as I thought. In fact, I am having to be careful not to overdress, because I have a tendency to overestimate how much clothing I need. All in the learning curve, I suppose.

My my left knee is much much less sore today, after not running since Sunday morning. I'll be running tomorrow night, so we'll see how it goes. I'm keeping with the icing and some strengthening exercises, so I hope that it keeps getting better and not worse.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 02-02-2010, 11:00 PM

Worked late, so scrapped my planned run...

Instead DD and I spent 30 minutes dancing like maniacs around our tiny living room to my my new favorite band

That has to be equivalent to some sort of FM!

I keep thinking that adding a lot of physical activity will help w/ bedtime, but usually it just makes me tired faster than DD!

Penelope - I'm in the no job love phase this week too...

I spent an hour today emailing people I don't know off a list from our diversity office to ask them to apply to a position in our department (did I mention that I'm chairing a search cmte - in my first year TT!) to ensure that we have a "robust and vibrant" pool. that just feels very strange, but I guess it's normal (?)

hi lemurmommie!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 PM

subbing one day and 5 pages late. I went for a short run with dd2 tonight. She has gotten fast!
After we got home, I was fixing dinner and all of the sudden a pain shot through my ankle. It seemed fine after that, then it did it again. WTH? My ankle is badly swollen, but I have no pain. My foot and ankle got really hot, but have cooled off from icing. What in the world could this be? Bah!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 PM

Zub, I sometimes work from home with kids home. It is always hard, even when they are bigger. Mine don't seem to get that they are noisy. And dd is always right on top of me when she is home. So mostly, I find I can answer emails, read research (printed is best) and maybe do a little brainstorming, but not much that needs to be really "done" until after bedtime. At which point I am too tired, and I thank goodness we have the best proofreaders in the world at my office.

lemurmommies, my 6yo still gets up. Sleep can be a challenge...

My day today started better than it finished. Dh bought a water softener...and now I'm getting jerked around with installation subcontractors. Meantime, I have major iron in the water running through the pipes and fixtures. Not. Cool. And dh is all worked up about it because I haven't solved the issue yet, and of course I have work mtgs to try to work around, so then that whole my-job's-not-that-important thing starts, even though my job means we can buy the stupid water softener without losing sleep. Blech. Dumb.

Kids got home and ds forgot his homework again. And dd is all concerned about some classroom non-issue not worth going into here. So I suited up and started the snowthrower, which of course dh took over as soon as he got home...so I grabbed a shovel and did what I could with that, and then did barn chores.

23 eggs today! OMG! Egg season is here. I'm selling at work, but jeez...pressure's on.

So, depending on what goes down with the installation people, I may or may not get to the Y tomorrow. I'm not sure how I'll handle that. My hope is that it will all magically come together--the Y workout, the water softener installation AND the client teleconference. It could happen.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I hear you, Penelope s. Sorry that work is so crazy.. What's your teaching load like? I'm just about to set assignments and I'm just dreading the grading. One of my colleagues often says he teaches for free and gets paid to grade. it really is the pits.
Wait for it.... 4/4. Low research expectations, but I'm still at 4-5 conferences a year. And because my dept is so small, I am constantly prepping new courses. I think I'm on new courses #9 and #10 - in my fourth semester. So not a lot of repetition! I love the teaching, and I'm cutting back on the bullshit headache-inducing crap as much as possible (resigned from a small additional course just today, in fact.) But the service really adds up.

Callie, that does sound awkward, and that's a lot of work for your first TT year, but at least you get to shape the department a bit... I know I natter on about my (one) colleague a lot, but since it's just him and me, it's a godsend that he's an awesome person. Plus he picked me, so he has no one to blame but himself if he chose badly! It makes a huge difference to have really compatible humans to work with.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 AM

Wendy

Plady

I really need to get back into yoga and running. I have been working so hard on being calm with older dd. She has been over the top rude-I have been able to remain calm mostly-but days like today-I sometimes just flip and start screaming. What is wrong with me? Ugh. I apologized but also explained to her that it is really hard to be respectful to her when she is disrespectful to me-I can only take so much. I actually repeated that " I can't take it anymore" about 20 times. Ugh. Ugh. It doesn't help that littlest dd hasn't napped in 3 days and now has the cold that older dd had last week. She was up a ton of times last night. I am a rock star mom of one child-why can't I handle the stresses of 2-shouldn't I be used to this by now?? On the plus side-I made an awesome chipotle tomato soup (which older dd hated) and yummy sourdough bread (which both dds loved) today. Home made soup and bread is good for the soul. Tomorrow is a new day. I must figure out how to get up early for yoga again....I was at such peace when I used to do yoga every morning. These days I never know when I can get up. If dd is sleeping with us-the second I move she is up. She has her own room now-starts out there-sometimes ends up in our bed sometimes not - just depends on the night.

More snow here today. Going a little stir crazy with the snow and the illness around here!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
Wait for it.... 4/4.

Dude, my job is so much easier. :

I started paying myself in small etsy purchases for every paper I submit. I bought some soap and a wooden soap dish today. Submitted Geofizz et al., 2010a today. Gotta get up to 2010f by August.

Took Mandy's advice and took a rest day. DH and I are promising ourselves 9:30 bed times for each other. He's going to work in the am.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 AM

Zubeldia, I have done a good bit of working from home in my post-kids life. With DD, for her first 13 months, I worked one 8 hr day in the office and the other 4 were split 4 hrs in the office and 4 at home. DH worked 2nd shift Tues-Sat so one of us was always home with DD. It was hard. DD was a terrible sleeper, but when she did nap, I worked. Mostly I learned to work hard at the office so I could get by without doing as much at home. Working late at night didn't really work for me since DH didn't get home until usually 11 or 12.

With DS, I have been so fortunate to have a very flexible boss (new job). I worked from home exclusively (except for meetings) for the first 6 months, and then split my time until he was 16 months, at which point I went back to the office full time. DH has been a SAHD since DS was 6 weeks and that has made it easier, though still not exactly simple. I have not pumped with DS and he hasn't had a bottle ever - DH brings him to my office 2x per day.

On paper the whole thing sounds perfect and wonderful, but honestly I don't think I will be a good employee again until DS cuts out nursing sessions during work hours. He's 21 months, and I could more or less determine that, but I really want it to be up to him as much as possible. Anyway, with the working from home... it is still hard even with DH here. Basically the kids bypass him and come to me if they know I'm home. Right now I don't have a good private workspace (Christmas decorations covering the desk in the basement waiting to be packed), and so today I sat in the living room and worked while someone called or screamed my name at approximately 2 minute or less intervals. DD actually told me yesterday that she wished Daddy was the one who could work and I could just nurse and play. I wish it were that way too, but it's this way for financial reasons.

On days when I work from home, if both kids are home I do my best work after they are asleep at night, and if DD is at school then I can work while DS naps as well. The rest of the time I have to do a lot of turning the kids away which feels horrible and so I try to make it to the office when I can. Case in point, I'm going tomorrow come he!! or high water.

I think I am rambling here... this is a huge weight on my shoulders right at the moment so I'm babbling... but Zub on the sleeping at night thing, would your DH be willing to hold DS for an hour or more so you could work without risking him waking? Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but DS is held for the large majority of his naps and sometimes for those first few hours of his sleep at night. He has a decent success rate of sleeping by himself for a couple hours at night, but if he wakes up it is all over because he won't accept anyone but me post-bedtime. So, on nights I really need to get something done, DH holds him and plays on the computer.

I think DD is going to be done with her illness for real this time once she recovers. The other two times she threw up she didn't have the accompanying fatigue and diarrhea, but she does now, so I think once she's better she'll really be better. It's lucky that she's sick while school is cancelled for weather anyway - no school for them again tomorrow b/c of the snow.

OK, back to making a test in Blackboard...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
These days I never know when I can get up. If dd is sleeping with us-the second I move she is up. She has her own room now-starts out there-sometimes ends up in our bed sometimes not - just depends on the night.

More snow here today. Going a little stir crazy with the snow and the illness around here!
Serial posting, but we are living parallel lives! Two kids are definitely crazier than one, and I frequently have the urge to throw things, and I'm not responsible for them alone all day long. You are an amazing mother to your girls. I'm not sure I have concrete suggestions but just wanted to send some .

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

User Tag List