Running right past February - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm extremely fortunate that DS likes going to the Y childcare and, for the most part, I've been very happy with the childwatch workers. I have no idea what I'm going to do when (if) I start school...I know I *need* the workout time, but can I really afford (both financially and psychologically) to leave DS in childcare longer than I need to for class stuff so that I can get a workout in? It just feels selfish to me, you know?

Of course, that may be moot...my babysitter (who is also applying to the same program) went to another informational session last night, since they're changing the application process. Apparently they got 900 applicants this year. Last year was 7-800. This is for 100-ish spots in each of the two start dates, although I'm sure that most of them are for the June start date, which is what I applied for. Lovely, huh?

I'm trying to be organized and on top of things today, and so far, not so much. I did get dinner in the crockpot (beef stroganoff--YUM), but have not yet showered, and need to so that we can get out and run some errands this afternoon. My dvr is kaput, so they're sending me a new one, but it won't be here until tomorrow. And of course, the way XH set everything up, you have to completely pull out the whole entertainment center to get the dvr in/out. Luckily, I was able to have my babysitter help me pull it out a little, hopefully far enough that I can swap out the units, but for now, it's sitting in the middle of the living room.

rr~Track this morning. It was a tough workout, but I felt good. We did 8x400, with each 100 of the 400 getting faster. I'm really happy with my effort...I was able to keep each 400 at or under 2:00. That's FAST (for me ). I didn't even get lapped by the fast group, which NEVER happens. Well, except for the one guy who was there.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
zub ~ I like kerc's idea of leaving your DS in childcare a little bit extra. I started my children at the YMCA childcare very early (like 6 weeks old ), but the staff was wonderful about getting me every time any child needed me. I don't think I got a full workout in for at least the first year of their life, but at least I was getting some exercise. And as a bonus, Y childcare was a fact of life for them, and they never gave me a hard time about going as they got older (well, at least until they were 5 or 6 and didn't want to play with "babies" anymore)!
I, too, put DD2 in they Y childcare at 6 weeks. I was adamant that they come get me if she cried any longer than a minute or two, I told them only I was to change a diaper, and I stood along the wall and peeked into the window every so often. Both of my girls (the other started there at around 9 months old) grew to love the staff and Ellie now gets irritated when I go to the gym and she can't go. Two of Courtney's close friends are girls who had moms working out at the same time, so they were playing while we were working out. Eventually everyone bonded and we are all still friends 10 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Oh I so remember that feeling. Real true physical pain at hearing dd cry. I really like Kerc's idea about leaving the house at bedtime and going somewhere quiet until the coast is clear. IME that works like a charm, if mama's not there they don't bother to call for her (they being both dc and dh )
This. I worked evenings with both girls and night times were always smoother when I was out of the house. Dave and the girls have a routine that is much quicker and, imo, more fun than mine.

A few musings from my run this morning:
1)I'm pretty close to pain free, but am definitely paying far too much attention to every little twinge from my leg. I need to get out of my head.
2)I have an uncanny ability to gauge distance. Went out planning 3.5. Did 2 laps of the .10 park trail instead of my usual one. Threw in some short cul-de-sacs I generally skip. Decided to do 4. Went straight where I generally go left, and the result....the place where I generally end (the base of the mountain) was EXACTLY 4.00. How the heck does that happen?
3)My first uninterrupted-by-leg-issues run in weeks was interrupted by a phone call from Jane (the sr. student in our practice). I had to answer, because, well, that's the rules. I realized after the fact that I had JUST thought "holy crap, I haven't had to stop to stretch!". Do I have magical mind powers?
4)I've been overdressing. I felt better today with lighter layers.

4.00 miles, 42.28. Not bad for my hilly route.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#123 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Dh is working? New job?
5 papers in one year? eek.
Geofizz et al., 2010a-f would be 6 papers. All but 2 are already in solid draft form.

DH had 3 job leads/offers on Monday. He's squeezing stuff in around 7.5 hours of weekly preschool. :
#124 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

dh just called me.

brrring.
"Are you taking Leah to school today?"
me: "uhhh, no. is there a reason you're calling me 20 minutes AFTER she's supposed to be there to ask me that?"

Not to mention it's 10 minutes to my car, 10 minutes home. and he works at his desk, from which he can see our dcp's house AND the freaking preschool she goes to in the afternoon.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#125 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Geofizz et al., 2010a-f would be 6 papers. All but 2 are already in solid draft form.
I guess I was thinking 5 MORE papers.

Quote:
DH had 3 job leads/offers on Monday. He's squeezing stuff in around 7.5 hours of weekly preschool. :
That's cool. Because you know the minute you find decent childcare the job will dry up.

#126 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Oh I so remember that feeling. Real true physical pain at hearing dd cry. I really like Kerc's idea about leaving the house at bedtime and going somewhere quiet until the coast is clear. IME that works like a charm, if mama's not there they don't bother to call for her (they being both dc and dh )
true

Kerc, I think I won't do the secret sprinter. Bummer, because it sounded awesome last year, but whoever got me would be screwed in terms of postage! It's just sooo expensive mailing things here, I get a twinge of guilt every time I get a package from my mom.

That reminds me, wasn't there talk of a new t-shirt recently?? I'm totally on board for that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
2)I have an uncanny ability to gauge distance. Went out planning 3.5. Did 2 laps of the .10 park trail instead of my usual one. Threw in some short cul-de-sacs I generally skip. Decided to do 4. Went straight where I generally go left, and the result....the place where I generally end (the base of the mountain) was EXACTLY 4.00. How the heck does that happen?

4.00 miles, 42.28. Not bad for my hilly route.
That's awesome! And with hills...

On the distance, it's just the opposite for me. I think I've done at least 2 or 2.5... glance at my garmin and I haven't gotten to 1 mile yet. Pitiful.

Went out for 3 miles in the driving snow/rain, huge lakes of slushy water and piles of mushy snow, it was really ugly. Still, I ran much faster than my 3 mile *tempo* run from the other day! I guess I just wanted to get back home and get in the shower. Whatever works!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#127 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
running off to class.. but kerc you are absolutely right. And I've been thinking a lot about my resistance to childcare, and mostly, I realized, it's grounded in guilt and a sense that I would so starkly be choosing time to workout over DS.. and I also have this visceral sense of his suffering without his mama But the gym has daycare and I should consider using it sooner than I'd planned. I was also thinking of having ds with nanny on a Friday, but DH wanted to have that morning with him.

But this is not sustainable. And I really won't be a martyr to it. I'm just finding it hard to find my way with balance right now. I am not renowned for balance... which is probably why I was a burned out PhD by the time I was 25
Zub, I think you and I come from the same place about things. I know a lot of my decisions are driven by guilt. I feel like I should be the one at home and that I'm shortchanging my kids by not being there. Some of this has to do with my confidence in DH. : Also, I go to musical rehearsals two nights a week - that's 3 hours of me time right there. I almost never step out the door for work or rehearsals without at least one child crying or otherwise letting me know they don't appreciate my leaving. On the nursing thing, I know it would be logistically easier for DH and myself if DS didn't nurse during the workday hours. But he is almost certainly my last, and I'm having a lot of trouble coming to terms with that and am sad about it. I really wouldn't care if he continues to nurse until he is 5-6 or whatever. He's cut back for sure, but he nurses a lot more than DD did at this age... she's another guilt factor too... I think I'm still trying to make up for things I could've done better with her as a baby by bending over backwards to do them for DS. I don't know... it's sort of a mess inside my head, can you tell?

DS will not stay in any type of childcare right now. He had been going successfully to the nursery at church but not anymore, and I just refuse to leave him in there terrified and sobbing. We've never even tried the gym childcare for him. For a while I was resistant to it because he seemed to be catching lots of colds from DD and was almost always sick (which for a while was leading to things like mastitis for me). I would be willing to risk it now but there's no way he would stay happily. I know we will try whenever he seems ready to accept it.

So, all this to say, with 1.25 jobs, 2 musical groups, 2 kids and a house... exercise is the only thing I try to do that doesn't involve anyone else, so it's the easiest to bail on. And bailing is what I've been doing for the last week, but I'm going to the gym tonight no matter what, hopefully with enough time before they close to do Couch to 5K plus some quality time on the elliptical.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#128 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 PM

So...where is SS happening? Yahoo? FB? Who's collecting names?

T-shirt, YES. I have some paying forward to do for this year's shirt.

I wasn't a runner until ds was almost 4 and dd was 1...but now, dd who is 6 asks if she can go w me to the Y so she can play in their kid spot.

OK...meeting to head to...2 out of 3 for the day, looks like.
#129 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
That's cool. Because you know the minute you find decent childcare the job will dry up.
The current arrangement is no more full time daycare until he has a full time, permanent job. We also agree that we can change our minds at any time. For now, if he gives up all his gaming time (which he does when I'm running plus another 5ish hours a week), he can fit it all in.
#130 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM

For childcare, I'm a SAHM, and right now I run when my DP is home to be with our son. I would love to have a gym membership to get more strength/cross-training in, but right now it is simply not in our budget. Easing in to things, I'm running 3 times a week - Wednesday evenings with my Learn to Run clinic, Fridays at some point (DP only works 1 Friday out of 4), and Sunday mornings with a Running Room group. I want to add in Tuesdays mornings eventually too, but since my son is in preschool Tuesday mornings, that works out well too.

I am in awe of all of you Dingo mamas who are juggling so many things. I can very honestly say that I don't know how you do it. I'm a SAHM and I still sometimes find it overwhelming to just take care of what I have to do, and I don't have a job outside the home or school or any other group activities to worry about. Hats off to you!

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#131 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 06:04 PM

Just popping in to mention that DD came home from school today with...... Fairy Books !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#132 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Oh, no! Fairy Books!

I am so frustrated today. I'm trying to channel patience and get things done, but the kids are being crazy and I am falling behind on stuff.

Om.
#133 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Just popping in to mention that DD came home from school today with...... Fairy Books !
Neener-neener.

Let me introduce you to the concept of "in your head only" books. As in, you are welcome to read that to yourself. If you want me to read you something, pick something we'll both enjoy.
#134 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Quick! Outside-the-box ground beef ideas!

Still no word on the stoopid water softener. Right now, my plan is to work in the office tomorrow AM...so I may soon start getting up early to feed animals before I feed the kids. Which is OK.

I don't know Fairy Books. I'm a little surprised, really. Can someone tell me about Junie B. Jones?
#135 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 PM

NAK
Popping in quick because I'm missing the Dingo Cafe. DH and I watched Zombieland together this AM instead of me cleaning and having i-net time because it's rainy and I was lazy.

Guilt - yes, this. I am a SAHM and I still couldn't leave in case she needed the boob because of a few bad experiences (some of you may remember). She doesn't take a bottle and only has a few times and I can't pump worth a darn, so I gave up training for things and got out for short, sporadic stuff when I could. Most of my stuff still is like that and I'm ok with that, but it's on the upswing because I can tell I need it now (and it's warm here who can pass up the sunshine?!!!)

SS ~ Is this in the works? If I need to organize it, let me know.

So it's rainy today and I was planning a stroller run. Ugh. Will attempt yoga later and a run tomorrow. Race in a few days!!

all around today

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#136 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Swedish meatballs?

#137 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 PM

I
Quote:
Neener-neener.

Let me introduce you to the concept of "in your head only" books. As in, you are welcome to read that to yourself. If you want me to read you something, pick something we'll both enjoy.
Ellie's homework, at least once a week, is to read to a stuffed animal, doll or pet. I think this is sure brilliance and pull it out of my bag of tricks when I can't bear another Dora story.

In other news, I'm actually logged into mdc on my blackberry for the first time ever. I have two doula interviews blocks from each other but 2 hours apart. Luckily it is an interesting neighborhood with a great market full of Gf treats I can't get close to home. Is it wrong that I plan on hiding the amazing but expensive cupcakes from Ellie? I got her cookies!

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#138 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I don't know Fairy Books. I'm a little surprised, really. Can someone tell me about Junie B. Jones?
Ugh. Junie B. Jones came home to us last week. I was unable to read it as written, I had to correct 95% of the grammar mistakes. She's cute and funny, but doesn't speak correctly and that bugs me
#139 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM

OK. That explains a lot. My sister was expressing frustration with Junie B. Jones as required reading for one of her special needs kids. I get it now.

Dh is grilling the meat. Which is like the best idea of all. I met him at the door in barn clothes and said something vague about ground beef.
#140 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Still no word on the stoopid water softener. Right now, my plan is to work in the office tomorrow AM...so I may soon start getting up early to feed animals before I feed the kids. Which is OK.

We LOVE Junie B. Jones books, but I think my kids "get" her word choice. I think we've read all of them out there. We also have read most of the Hardy Boys, as well as Goosebumps. Started on Horrible Harry books, as we ran out of the others, and still trying to find more. I did find some others that are bigger (longer) which is good for us at this time. My kids LOVE to read and be read to.

RR: I ran 1.25 miles again today on the TM, WITHOUT pain again. how wonderful is that!! Also, lifted weights, did pull ups, feet raised push ups, ab work. yay!

Off to sit in on gym class tomorrow for ds1 (unbeknown to the PE teacher , then lunch with ds1. ).

DSD told me her work schedule for the next two days, but has yet to ask for a ride. Hmmmm, wonder if she'll wait till the last minute again. Can't wait until she gets her own car!! Probably not till May, sigh.

Can't remember who made this comment, but it cracked.me. up!! Re: dh needed some awesome jammies! too funny!
#141 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

exercise this afternoon scrapped in favor of time with my girls. It wasn't 100% quality time, but leah was begging for it with her behavior. You know hwat that means? Early dark o thirty style exercise tomorrow.ick.

#142 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 PM

Junie B. kind of annoys me, but dd grew out of her pretty quickly. Ds seems very, very happy with Captian Underpants, though, and I'll read any of them except the Booger Boy one (it's too gross.)

No forward motion today ('cepting the 10 hours of work) but I'm planning, like kerc, to run at o dark hundred tomorrow.

A committee I'm on finally did an acceptable job of the task we've been working at for months - so I'm feeling marginally better about it. Mmmm.... that's the sound of my job, chewing on my life.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#143 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I started paying myself in small etsy purchases for every paper I submit. I bought some soap and a wooden soap dish today.
for that many papers and also, wow! That is a brilliant idea. I'm going to keep that in mind for this summer and fall when I'll need motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
And let me hold onto my faculties during my lectures so that I can access basic vocabulary
For sure! I can already feel mine deteriorating. And the absent-mindedness is worse this time. I meant to wear brown pants today but discovered I was wearing black ones on the bus. Also I managed to grab my iPod bag, but neglected to actually put the iPod in it.

Quote:
When I was working 1.5 jobs + doing my dissertation the only way I could work was to leave the house. Sometimes what it took for my kids to get down easily was to leave, head out to a coffee shop for an hour and come home quietly to sleeping kids.
[snip]
...but my experience suggests that (your mileage may vary of course) trying to do 2 full time jobs (caring for an infant + being a prof) is not possible without more child care.

I understand the guilt and the physical reaction when they cry. But kerc et al. are right. Heck, I ought to follow that advice now. DD is getting increasingly clingy. Right now she's playing great with DH because I'm surfing the web. However, last night, when I was trying to finish up a PowerPoint presentation for this morning's lecture, she was in my office every five minutes crying about this, demanding that "only mommy" could help her with violin, bath, bed....

Also, can someone quote this bit about using enough daycare and not feeling guilty to me when I'm doing the need-more-time-for-teaching/research/exercise-but-baby-needs-me this fall? I keep telling myself I won't feel guilty this time around but I may need some reminders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
I have no idea what I'm going to do when (if) I start school...I know I *need* the workout time, but can I really afford (both financially and psychologically) to leave DS in childcare longer than I need to for class stuff so that I can get a workout in? It just feels selfish to me, you know?
It's not. Repeat that whenever necessary.

FM: I decided to walk from campus to the bus station rather than taking light rail, figuring I'd be too tired to get on the TM tonight after handbells. And as an added bonus, DD couldn't interrupt the walk the way she does every time I'm on the TM!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#144 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 PM

I think I want to marry my new foam roller.

#145 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
I think I want to marry my new foam roller.

#146 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 PM

OK, I don't know if this is going to make any sense... but I'm asking out of a need for help with the guilt. I need someone to give me some different points of view... my transition to crunchy/AP mama has been affected by things I've read here at MDC... some for good and perhaps some for bad. So simply put, why IS it OK for me to spend 9+ hours a day WOH plus approximately 1 hour of time each day doing something like rehearsing music or exercising, plus ~3-4 hours each day for chores and showering, eating, misc. tasks around the house... leaving very little time left over to just simply be with my kids? It doesn't feel OK to me... it's not like I know deep down it's really OK and I'm just pretending it's not for the sake of martyrdom or whatever. It really truly feels selfish. When my kids beg for mama time and cry when I leave it feels like it's not good for them. I know I can find threads on this website that would have me strung up by my toenails for doing any of those things, primarily the WOHM bit, I guess, since it takes the largest chunk of time. I believe my kids need me for things they can't get from their dad, both b/c he's a guy and b/c he struggles w/ depression. The whole thing is such a strain. Have I lost my mind? Have I turned in my feminist ID card? The thing is, no matter how much I am convinced that our arrangement is not ideal, there's not a dang thing I can do about it. The only other alternative is for DH to go to work and the kids to be cared for by a non-relative. So, seriously and without snark, why is it OK in terms of my kids for me to take more time for myself on top of my obligatory time away?

Now... the gym closes in 55 minutes and the house is quiet. I'm going to change clothes.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#147 of 1121 Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

(((((eksmom))))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I believe my kids need me for things they can't get from their dad, both b/c he's a guy and b/c he struggles w/ depression.
I'm pretty sure your kids need you because you're you. You may look like Daphne in a prior life, you might be a whiz at math, you talk with a sweet southern accent that I'm sure I could pick up in a week. You are important because you're Katherine, Emma Kate and Griffin's mom.

Now the guilt piece.That's a tricky question. You haven't said that C. is unhappy as a sahd so some of this might not apply to you. I'm really not trying to pass judgement at all, I'm just raising some questions that could be a nice discussion in person. Why is being cared for by a blood relative so important? Is the comfort and/or nurishment that G gains from nursing enough to justify a disruption in your working day? How many chores are you doing vs. how many your SAH partner is doing? Do you get a chance to sit down and read with your kids?

My dad was a traditional, executive dad. When I was kindergarten-age (with 2 little sibs + 1 big one), I remember my dad reading 4 books each evening. I spent time with him on the weekend. I did not see him after school. He didn't come to my school functions. I feel closer to my dad than I do to my mom. He let me know him as a person on the weekends when he was home. My dad did take us to swimming as we got older and got into swimming himself when I was about 7. But he didn't do much else.

#148 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 AM

eksmom--I'm sorry you're feeling crummy about how your time has to be divided right now. It's awful to feel pulled in so many different directions, and to feel like your kids are suffering for it. If you weren't taking time to do your own things that recharge and refresh you, though, wouldn't you be giving your kids a worse part of yourself? When I'm exercising and making time to do other things I enjoy, the time that I do spend with my kids is calmer and happier, because I'm more centered and more able to relax with them after my needs are met. Can you see a quality/quantity balance? Either way, it sucks to even have to think about it and question yourself.

memiles--Do tell about the foam roller love. I've seen the term bantered about, but am not sure exactly what it is or what benefit could be derived from it. I certainly didn't realize one could inspire amorous feelings.

Ooh, the fairies. I ranted and raved about them a few months ago. My kids are too little to have "in-your-head books" since they don't read yet. My strategy for the fairies was to blast through them as quickly as possible. The only ones we haven't read are the brand-new ones that are slowly trickling in. Right now it's the sport fairies, which I really should boycott altogether since there's no running fairy in the group. Man, that Rachel Walker and Kirsty Tate are such dull robots as characters. They never tease, fight, or have anything but the cheeriest and most sunny interaction. It very nearly makes me puke.

Right now we're also blasting our way through the A to Z Mysteries, which I like much better, although what was the author thinking when he named one of the three main characters Dink? Seriously? In a book that's at about a second-grade reading level, you don't think that the audience might have associations with the term Dink? My kids are too little to think his name is funny yet.

I've started and deleted several replies today, since I'm still not running. I saw the physician's assistant yesterday, who I love so much more than my real doctor! Anyway, he confirmed sinus infection and told me to use some Flonase and a sinus rinse to see if that helped, and if I'm still feeling crappy in a few days he also gave me a prescription for antibiotics. So I bought a neti-pot. The kind that looks like Aladdin's lamp, not the kind that looks like a penis. I really hate it. Today I had some major painful burning, probably from failing to mix up the stuff well enough. It seems that sometimes my sinus is too blocked for it to work, so the stuff trickles down to the back of my throat even though I'm leaning WAY forward and I spend the whole time gagging it up and spitting. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Anyway, totally stinks to be sick.

Nic--Would you still like to meet up in Florida? I promise I'll knock out these germs before I come anywhere near you.
#149 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 12:21 AM

eksmom- Kerc put it brilliantly-I don't think I can add anymore. Quality time is everything-and you need your own time so that you can give your children quality time.

zu-how did the day go? Hope you drove safely!!

I got in about 15 minutes of yoga this morning-with littlest dd and then older dd came down as well-but it was a start...baby steps right. I also got kicked off my mat by both kids. Details, details

Thanks for all of the replies about my rotten mommy moments yesterday. It really does help to know that I am not alone. I am surrounded by such calm moms IRL-I feel like a lunatic. I actually had a very good friend say to me once "that she would never and has never yelled at her children". Thanks-because that comment really helps me. Today was a better day. Older dd got to play outside in the snow for a really long time and had a ball. Outside time for her is a magic elixir.

Day 4 of no napping-tell me this will end.

to everyone!
#150 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post

memiles--Do tell about the foam roller love. I've seen the term bantered about, but am not sure exactly what it is or what benefit could be derived from it. I certainly didn't realize one could inspire amorous feelings.
I got this one. I almost didn't, as I am incredibly cheap and $25 for a piece of foam seemed insane. But I've heard enough from the wise women around here to know that it might help with my pain issues. And I justified the price by remembering that the best help I've had with my issue was having RP (a massage therapist) grope me in a coffee shop, but that she's not going to give me infinite free massage.

Basically, it allows you to roll around and work deeply into muscles by using your body weight and the firmness of the roller. I felt EXACTLY where my problems were (shins, IT band, hip flexors), and after I stopped swearing it feels amazing. Definitely hit spots I can't get through stretching. A big , at least on day one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page