Running right past February - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So many thoughtful responses here. This is why I the dingos so very much, because I know that if/when I'm in such a position, I can come here and get the same type of responses. Dingos rock!

Geo~So glad something may finally come of the crosswalk situation. That is seriously scary. And yeah, you pretty much rock with that presentation! (Get it, rock? Heh. )

jaygee~Hooray for finishing your treatment! You'll be back smoking the running and tri scene in no time at all!

I am working on installing my new dvr that arrived this morning, so with any luck I may actually be able to watch tv tonight (hello, my name is Gaye, and I am a tv addict ).

For anyone that may be in need of some winter stuff for themselves or kiddos...Lands End is having a HUGE sale right now, in-store only. 50% off markdown prices on adult stuff, 40% on kids. I got a sweater and fleece for $15! I'm headed back today to see if I can get next year's winter coat and maybe some snow pants and boots for DS.

rr~Holy cow. I got my butt kicked today. In a good way, but still. The friends that I've been running with regularly are really picking up the pace. We did 5 miles today at a 9:26 pace. Well, I should say *I* was at a 9:26 pace because I couldn't keep up with them for the second half of the run! I really love these girls, but I hate them at the same time, you know? They just make it look SO easy. I mean, I was probably about 20-30 yards or so behind them, and could hear that they were just easily chatting. One honestly looked like she was jogging. Meanwhile, I'm huffing and puffing and dying just to try to keep up. I know the butt-kicking is good for me, especially if I want to get faster, but still. It's just not fair that they've got the gift naturally, and I don't!

So, keeping in mind that I did 5 at 9:30 pace this morning and almost died (while pushing the chariot, but still), I really question if 13.1 at 9:09 or faster is realistic. I really, really want to go sub-2, though!!!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#182 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
eskmom, I really feel for you I am really having a time trying to adjust to returning to work. I could easily justify my need for a lot of activity when I was home with DS, but now, like you, I feel pulled in so many different directions. AP is wonderful, but, you know, as Penelope said beautifully, it can lead to real burnout. I, too, have known this type of parenting to burnout a marriage. It's very intense, and it's so easy to lose oneself. I'l be honest and say that I did not think that I would be this type of parent. I come from a very non-nurturing household and I have never been especially into babies, but when I became pregnant I felt immediately very differently about things. I did NOT want to repeat what my parents had done - for I feel as though I have contended with the consequences of their parenting style (as have my siblings).

It's a lot to mediate, and it sounds as though you may have similar issues with your parents - or at least their impact on DD.

I think you're doing so well, esk, to keep all these hats on, and I also think that our society is set up in ways which make this impossible. We simply can't do it all perfectly. I am trying to work on what i need to let go. Everyday, lately, I've been asking myself what I will regret/not regret doing. I KNOW I will regret more than anything missing out on my DS. It is what makes me happy - and him, too. But also I know that for me to be 'there' I need to really take care of myself, and for me that does mean that activity - and significant amounts of it - is non optional. I need that more than I need a lot of sleep. It is somethng that I just know about myself. I will fall apart without the physiological and psychological effects of exercise.

But I can;t do this perfectly. I can't be as fast, I can't be as dedicated beyond the activity I need for my emotional well being, and I know that I will have to be imperfect.

I don't know how to manage it all, and I guess that as DS grows up I will have to adjust. Right now being with him as much as possible, while he's still so little and not able to conceptualize where I am and why I am gone, is primary. And work.. well, I think this is where our society has been set up for failure, because to be the best at one's job, I really do think family life inevitably suffers. Thus in respect to my work I am already hopelessly imperfect. Yet I know I will NOT look back and say to myself, oh, how I wish I'd published more, how I wish I'd risen through the ranks. I decided before children that work would be secondary to me. I just don't get enough meaning from it for it to take precedence in my life. I think my work is important. I like my job... I feel fortunate, even, but I know that focusing on it does not help me cultivate a good life.

Sorry for going on and on. I suppose I'm just trying to work through these questions myself, and trying not to get caught up in the guilt is very hard. Our kids are resilient. And while AP is lovely, I always return to the concept of the 'good enough' mother. The British psychologist is a real hero of mine, and he helps me recover some balance. I want ds to feel secure, yet I also want to provide him with the space to discover his own world, and I love what P said about the community, because I do think that being loved by many, and by being exposed to so many perspective is a wonderful gift.

I don't know how this translates into a schedule. My sense is that I am beginning to have a sense of the ingredients of a good life, but not quite the measurements/amounts. For now I am doing the minimal amount of work I can get away with (so unbelievably grateful for tenure as this would be very different), I am exercising just enough to keep sane, and I'm being with DS as much as I can. I have to say that cosleeping is really helping me - especially after a long day with the nanny.

Oh, yes, on that note, we found a woman who is so wonderfully attentive to what we want for Raf. She is very nurturing and really does care to treat him in ways that we strive for.

Yikes, what a waffle. DS is asleep on me and I've had so many thoughts swirling through my mind all day.. Unfortunately they're not yet very coherent ideas!

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#183 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Zub, that sounds plenty good enough for me, and a lot like my first year with dd. I did the minimal amount at a demanding job and brought her with me a lot of the time for her first 9 months. It was what we did and it was good enough.

eks, I wondered about that with your dh. that is a lot to be thinking about, mama.

Oh and I just heard Bob from Oprah tell a bunch of diabetic (or at risk) ladies an awesome quote: "Exercise is NOT NEGOTIABLE." he even had them repeat it after him. Running is NOT negotiable! T-shirt?
#184 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 PM

hey there. glad no one's flaming me for my rambling thoughts earlier. i had a great conversation today with my "angel" and while for the first hour or two it was all good soul-stuff, taking notes on each other's lives, learning about ourselves, the last hour was about some of the stuff i say and do that are definitely my own control issues (ds1) and resentment & letting go issues (dh).

you guys ever read "lessons of a skinned knee?" it's such a good book and a reminder that the kids are gonna be okay.

i need a run.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#185 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 08:47 PM

i'm reading along, trying to keep up

just wanted to say that i clocked 2 x 1600 for 10:20 each last night at track. now, to all of you speedy mamas, i know that's no biggie but...for those who've been around a while, you know for me, that's large! i am happy wallowing around in the 10s. fine by me.

secondly, i bought a fuel belt with those drink bottle holsters - it's a helium, i think? i decided after my big mistake last sunday (went out to do 8 but turned around and finished 5.5) that from here on out, if i plan to be out longer than 1 hour, i need replenishment or else..

again, thanks for all the kind words about my ITBand issues...and a special to my sisters in pain. this issue sucks.

eks -

geo - that is UNREAL, that photo. i am aghast especially because there's children involved! good for you.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#186 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 PM

I skipped out on my run today, but did some pushups and situps with DH after work.

I am sometimes conflicted on quality time/work time/me time, also. I didn't used to be, my life used to be so different.

I do all of my work at home and the shows and festivals I do are usually on weekends. It is hard, because I am not really making money to pay a sitter.. but maybe I could be if I had some solid work time! I also have really variable times out selling, with the exception of one regular weekend market I do in the summer.
My MIL is retiring this year and I am looking forward to being able to have some help with unpredictable work schedules. She'll be working part time, but will be closer to us and more available for the kids. That's a relief, as I have a pretty hard time leaving my kids with a sitter most times. I do have a few friends that I feel really good about leaving them with, and that's a real improvement for me.

For the first time ever, Dh and I are planning a weekend away- without the kids! We don't have much in the way of extra income, but we've been saving our change for a weekend at Lake Geneva next fall or winter. It sounds great to me, to maybe have two or more days just hanging out with DH.
#187 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 PM

I am hesitant to post today as I am sure I am not being very clear. My thoughts aren't even clear to me.

I sometimes wish I could just be ignorant.
I've said this so many times - nutrition, vaccines, childcare, the list goes on. It is so hard to feel like I should be able to figure it out. When I can't I do more research and then I make a decision. I am rarely happy with my choices but it really is the best I can do given everything else.

eksmom, it sounds like 32 issues all rolled up together. I hope you find peace and balance. Respect your instincts, limits, and love.

Dingos are incredible and it is a tough standard to live up to but we are human.

Helen is doing awesome. She didn't cry at all today. I even witnessed her problem solve for herself before school. It involved speaking to an adult making a request for special library access. Not only did she identify the problem and decide on a solution but she proceeded to follow through. It may not sound like much but I am so proud of her.

Running is not negotiable.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#188 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
mult/div is all about groups -- making them and breaking them.

IMO addition and subtraction are more abstract because you're adding something into the mix or taking it away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
bec - I bet your DD is a right-brainer. It's the RB that sees the patterns in things and mult. and div. are basically # patterns.
Thank you SO much for putting it this way. I am constantly trying to figure out what it is that makes her tick, and how her brain works! It helps me so much to help her understand concepts if I can just figure out the key that puts it all together for her (pretty sure I'm mixing metaphors, there). She is very visual spatial, and is very good at geometry, so I am wondering if that is why it's easier for her. Hmmm, have to noodle that, and see if there are any ways to make that applicable to addition and subtraction.

Eks - I have been on MDC and read around here for a long time. The funny thing is that I think the Perfect AP'er doesn't exist. If they tell you that they have never yelled at their non-infant child, have 100% breastfed on demand, never been separated from their children, and have never had the desire for a break are LYING!!! Seriously, these are not people that exist. I have stopped trying to hold myself to mythical standards. So, I would suggest that you should cut yourself some slack.

Well, even exhausted, I got to the gym! I'm very proud of myself for that. I did a mile of hill work and then went and did strength training for an hour with my friend! I'm beat, though, and will be hitting the hay early.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#189 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Thank you SO much for putting it this way. I am constantly trying to figure out what it is that makes her tick, and how her brain works! It helps me so much to help her understand concepts if I can just figure out the key that puts it all together for her (pretty sure I'm mixing metaphors, there). She is very visual spatial, and is very good at geometry, so I am wondering if that is why it's easier for her. Hmmm, have to noodle that, and see if there are any ways to make that applicable to addition and subtraction.
Search our "right brained math" on youtube. Awesome videos. See if it makes her tick.
#190 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 PM

Yes, to everything everyone has said today.

Mommajb, I have to say, what you said about never being totally satisfied with your parenting (or whatever) decisions and wishing you could just be ignorant....is me. Sometimes being an information gatherer/researcher/conscious mother is overwhelming because we somehow, in being more informed, delude ourselves into thinking we can make the 'right' decision about everything.

Sigh.

And then we feel terrible guilt and anxiety when the decisions don't seem optimal, or don't live up to these mythical standards, or real life intrudes onto our beautiful commune-in-theory.

Anyway, I love the Dingos. Y'all are my respite, my safe place, my sounding board, my link to sanity and being almost 'normal'. I never would have made it through the last few years without you. That is all I have to say about that or I will start to cry. But you know what I mean. You are my Valentines.

I just put underwear and pj's on ds. Why is he naked?! Except for the wet towel I just put in the laundry...that is wrapped around his neck as a cape and he is flying around the house. I am tired. He needs to go to bed now.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#191 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Anyway, I love the Dingos. Y'all are my respite, my safe place, my sounding board, my link to sanity and being almost 'normal'. I never would have made it through the last few years without you. That is all I have to say about that or I will start to cry. But you know what I mean. You are my Valentines.
Yes!

Just popping in for the fest at the Dingo Cafe. I this place.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#192 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Re: Perfect Attachment Parenting ~ a few years ago there was a mama here who was "perfect" by everyone's way of thinking. Totally attached and devoted to her DCs. And then she just left. Up and left her kids, her partner, her entire AP life. And when I think of not measuring up, I wonder, at what cost. Perfection does not exist.

I am by no means a remotely perfect AP parent (selective vax, not always the most gentle discipline, not always the healthiest foods), but I've done what works for our family, and our circumstances. And for that I will not apoligize, nor will I feel guilty for not being "perfect".

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#193 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Re: Perfect Attachment Parenting ~ a few years ago there was a mama here who was "perfect" by everyone's way of thinking. Totally attached and devoted to her DCs. And then she just left. Up and left her kids, her partner, her entire AP life. And when I think of not measuring up, I wonder, at what cost. Perfection does not exist.

I am by no means a remotely perfect AP parent (selective vax, not always the most gentle discipline, not always the healthiest foods), but I've done what works for our family, and our circumstances. And for that I will not apoligize, nor will I feel guilty for not being "perfect".
Yep - 'perfect' for one family to flow smoothly is not 'perfect' for another. We are doing the best we can for us, our spouses, and our children.

Amazing, not perfect.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#194 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Oh, boy, that's terrible. How sad for all of them.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#195 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Dingos are incredible and it is a tough standard to live up to but we are human.
This is a very amazing group of women. Together we are stronger. I think the strength comes in respecting each other and knowing that tomorrow is another day in this journey we all face of parenting our children. Tomorrow might be my day for needing you. Perhaps my own day for freaking out might have already passed (and yet I know it will come again).

Mamas, you were all with me this evening when I really really really really did not want to work out. I had a beautiful ski and I'm so glad I did just get out there.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#196 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:

I actually know of a local woman who did something similar. AP is exhausting, especially when it becomes AM (attachment mothering). When I'm working with new parents I often try to address this- that especially those who are working on AP are going to need to realize that children's needs can be met by a variety of people. When your partner is unable to share that burden (or unwilling, I see that a lot more than I like), the pressure on mom to be everything to everyone can be crushing.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#197 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 PM

Well said, memiles.

It's important to remember that our challenges have contributed to some of the strong and good in us. Not that we need to make our children's lives harder, certainly not, and of course a lot of the tough parts begets not-so-great characteristics, but we do grow in the face of challenge. We moms and we humans. We're showing compassion, empathy and love to our children even as we fail them. That has to be OK. My ds brought home some sort of "love is" thing from school...my part in the piece was grounding him. As in, "love is my mom grounding me."

For all my efforts and work re: whole foods, dinner tonight was Hebrew Nationals, canned beans, sauerkraut and some corn on the cob I had in the freezer. Ah, well. As kerc said, tomorrow is another day.

I am having a funny work moment, researching recipes involving a lot of pork sausage. And beer.
#198 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 PM

Jo - that IS funny (ironic funny I guess!)

The mothering perfection/guilt discussion is timely here too, particularly since I'm in a job that takes so much of my mental energy, that I feel like I'm not giving DD 100%, even when I am with her...

But I think DD is being nutured and her needs are being met by all the people in her life.

Have any of you read anything about/by Sarah Hrdy? She is the anthropologist that popularized the idea of 'allomothering' (among other things) - that is infant care by a non-mother - and I think of that sometimes in this context. It is (evolutionarily) natural that we need to rely on others and have time for ourselves, just extremely cultural to accept...

FM... well, DD and I danced again tonite. She picked out a Rainbow Brite techno remix that we danced to. For 30 MINUTES. OMG.

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#199 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 PM
bec

on the pork and beer, Jo!

mamajb - Yes, the Dingos definitely have a high standard of parenting. I see that. The thing is, while I think we all feel our own shortcomings keenly, I have not seen a single instance where those shortcomings have been vilified or pounced on by anyone other than the person sharing their own shortcoming. I am inspired by all the amazing mamas here. I am guessing that most of us would not include ourselves in that list of amazing, but I am also guessing that we would be in everyone else's list. I don't know if that even makes any sense. I feel like I am a better, saner, healthier parent because of my involvement in the Dingos.

Geo - I will check out the math stuff on Youtube! Thanks!

Amazing, not perfect!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#200 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 PM

You guys? I am seriously here, reading through this. At the wisdom, love, and support we have here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I sometimes wish I could just be ignorant.
YES. Or as my mom says..."you read too much". Which I find highly ironic considering she's a librarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I am having a funny work moment, researching recipes involving a lot of pork sausage. And beer.

poppy~ Woot! You're not nearly as slow as you think you are!

I have a fully functioning dvr again. Hooray!

We went back to the Lands End store in Sears again today and scored a major deal on (normally very expensive) snow pants, a jacket, and boots for next winter. I think we can get away with wearing them this year (so I don't have to borrow the stuff XH bought to take DS skiing), but they're pretty big, so should definitely fit for next year. I LOVE getting a good deal, especially on high-quality stuff! Even though I really don't have extra money right now, I figure I'm saving money that was going to have to be spent next year, and it's going to be a whole lot more expensive in-season.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#201 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
But see, the bolded part is what makes it perfect.

bec - to right brain math by Mister Numbers on Youtube.

I think I remember someone here mentioning how much they love roasted cauliflower? Details please. I just harvested my first ever head today () and thought I'd give it a try. We're really not big fans of it except for hidden in things (mashed potatoes, soup, spaghetti sauce to name a few) so I don't really know what to do with it.
#202 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think I remember someone here mentioning how much they love roasted cauliflower? Details please. I just harvested my first ever head today () and thought I'd give it a try.
SHUT UP! Really? I mean I guess there's a spot where people grow produce we eat here in the Great White North when it is. well, white.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#203 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
IMO, one of the dirty secrets of AP is that it can be the short road to mama burnout. One of the other dirty secrets, I think, is that lots and *lots* of different family arrangements can be healthy. Now, I am all about the GD, I breastfed for 7 consecutive years, I'm a mostly-happy cosleeper, etc. etc. BUT.

There is an *endless* temptation with AP, IMO, to subsume yourself entirely in your children. I think it's tough on marriages sometimes, and for me, it was really tough to realize I had worn myself so thin caring for my family that I had a. trained them (esp. dh) to take advantage of me and take me for granted and b. cut out things like basic self-care. (It didn't help that I was doing a Ph.D. with almost no childcare.)

So - IMO, you want to take the long view. Your kids will maintain a connection to you over the long haul *even* if you, gasp, take a few hours a week to care for your body and your mind by getting some exercise. And they'll see that a healthy family meets everybody's needs, including mama's.

I WOH, and run when my kids are asleep as much as possible, but on the weekend, if I want a long run, I head out the damn door without apology. I do cut out TV, most films, social time, and craft time, because it doesn't work in the schedule, but if I don't carve out some time to keep myself healthy and sane nobody else will. And my kids will suffer in the long run.

</end sermon>
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
I really question if 13.1 at 9:09 or faster is realistic. I really, really want to go sub-2, though!!!
Run the Slacker Half in June. It's all downhill. Seriously. As long as you keep your feet under you and let gravity pull you, you can easily maintain that pace, IMO. I wouldn't have guessed I could do a sub-2 (and I'm still not sure I could if it had been a "normal" half. ) You might be able to do it during the Platte 1/2, but I think that one can be tricky because of the weather. If you score an overcast 50 degrees, I'd say you'd be in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Amazing, not perfect.

ETA: eksmom--I hear you on the perfectionist issue and I definitely struggle. Trying to let go of what you have read (at least the stuff that makes you feel guilty) is a good step.

Here's my example: my sister has been returning the baby stuff I loaned her, and she recently found the Sears Baby Book and tried to give it back to me. I told her it was hers and that I never wanted it back. Reading Dr. Sears made me crazy the first time and I'm not going down that road again! (Apologies to those who love Sears, of course.)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#204 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
Run the Slacker Half in June. It's all downhill. Seriously. As long as you keep your feet under you and let gravity pull you, you can easily maintain that pace, IMO. I wouldn't have guessed I could do a sub-2 (and I'm still not sure I could if it had been a "normal" half. ) You might be able to do it during the Platte 1/2, but I think that one can be tricky because of the weather. If you score an overcast 50 degrees, I'd say you'd be in good shape.
Hmm...not a bad idea. If I don't do it at the Platte, this might work. I have a tri the week before, but only a sprint, and it's fairly cheap. I was thinking about maybe signing up for the Colorado--where I ran 2:06--if the Platte doesn't pan out, but they've jacked the prices way up on that, plus you almost have to get a hotel (no race day packet pick-up and much earlier start time). Thanks, Lisa!

#205 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 AM

Eksmom: I think you sound like a fantastic mom and your kids are lucky!
I hear what you are saying, esp. regarding DH. I'm wondering, too, what effect an emotionally distant dad has, esp. on a DD. My middle DD is very much like what you are describing, and I've really been asking more of DH in terms of snuggling, reading to her, talking to her one-on-one... because I think she needs acceptance and love from her dad. I can't replace him in that respect. I think it's harder for men, in general, and then maybe if they grew up with distant parents, too?

Gaye: Sounds like a great goal to have with the sub-2! It's a secret dream of mine, too, and I'm not doing half the training that you are! You're going to get there.... I have a feeling.

Zub: I love reading what you have to say on the whole parenting/work/fitness situation. So much really rings true to me, I just can't even begin to verbalize it myself. So, I'm just nodding as I read...

Mommajb: for Helen at school

bec: what you said about the *perfect AP moms* being a myth - I agree with you! There was a mom who I met a few years ago,***bleeped out ***(I might have to come back and delete that later on! I think she might be around here in MDC land!) So I remind myself to only measure ourself against what I know, and not what others say.

Hey, Jo, pork sausage and beer?

Just back from my relatively speedy 3 mile pace run - I did 2 splits and the first one was sub 10 and the second split just a smidge over 10. Yay! So, there's hope. Now to shower quickly and go pick up DS.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#206 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM

Reading along here and nodding at all this great dingo wisdom. And avoiding class prep.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#207 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Avoiding work here too.

Found some good recipes, but I feel like I am not where I need to be on the project...so this should be a great 10:00 mtg. I realized I was too burned from a long day to be very productive last night, and I asked my brain to work on the issues while I slept. But apparently my dreams had some other things to sort out.

So this AM I'll shoot to bike and lift for certain. Feeling bloaty from last night's saltfest.
#208 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I think I remember someone here mentioning how much they love roasted cauliflower? Details please. I just harvested my first ever head today () and thought I'd give it a try. We're really not big fans of it except for hidden in things (mashed potatoes, soup, spaghetti sauce to name a few) so I don't really know what to do with it.
ME! I roasted cauliflower!!!

I break a head into florets (and some of the stalk) of about ~1-2 inches - but I leave in all the little tiny pieces that get broken off b/c they get really brown and crunchy. I put it all in a cake pan or large cast iron skillet. Liberal application of salt and olive oil and then into a preheated 450ish oven. I stir them around every 10ish minutes and roast until they are tender and browning all over (maybe 30 ish minutes). The browning gives them a nutty taste that is so good. Can add more salt and oil at end to taste

#209 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM

Re pork: this blog is great: http://porkknifeandspoon.com/

By Shauna/Gluten Free Girl.

#210 of 1121 Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Re pork: this blog is great: http://porkknifeandspoon.com/

By Shauna/Gluten Free Girl.

Oh yum. I don't care if it's sponsored by the Pork Board. Mmmmm....Bacon....... ! In fact, I decided to make quinoa, egg and bacon breakfast this morning after looking at that!

Inexplicably, school was cancelled today. And it's still just raining. I know we're "supposed" to get 4-8 inches of snow at some point, but no sign of the white stuff yet. Premature, if you ask me (which obviously, no one at the school district did).

So, we're all at home today, with a fun filled schedule of making valentines for 22 second graders, 20 kindergarteners, and 12 preschoolers, baking chocolate chip cookies, and me getting on the trainer for an hour or so .

This all begs the question, what the heck good is a snow day if there is no snow to go out and play in???

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page