Mothering Forum banner

Running right past February

31K views 1K replies 42 participants last post by  JenLove 
#1 ·
Dingo n. An MDC mama (or soon-to-be mama, or mama in her heart) with the desire to move forward at a run or walk. She supports her fellow dingo in each dingo's quest to find balance and reason in her life.

Requirements to become a dingo: Posting on this thread goals for the day, week, month, year, or decade. OK if starting couch to 5k or running and ultra marathon.

Identifying features of a dingo: Posts often here, facebook, daily mile. Starts to get antsy during extended time off for injury or sickness. Found on the road, on the dreadmill, in the pool, or on a bike.

origin of the term: Naughty Dingos on Tour

#8 ·
Happy Birthday kerc!

goal: As my morning schedule/routine changes I am not going to drop my stretching routine with yoga dvds. It is how I stay healthy/uninjured so it is as important as running and lifting. (Helen needs a bit more help in the morning than Alice, especially right now. Dh cannot be counted on in the morning.)

#10 ·
Woot! Woot! Happy birthday kerc!

I am almost done with the taxes.
but
for a refund that can make the water softener issue much less painful. AND I found an error on my mortgage lender's 1098 that increases my refund by $400.

Dh found out today he expects to be gone to the Middle East all of May.
I wish they'd send him there in Dec, Jan or Feb and let him have the best months of WI weather. Gr. Bright side, more travel-related points for the family trip in September, I guess.

OK. Going to squeeze some productivity out of the next hour...

#13 ·
Happy birthday kerc.

I'm having chocolate cake tonight to celebrate.

Going for 4 nights in a row on running -- not quite the jooj level, but I am starting to think about looking up how much rest I need. I'm finding I get antsy without a run.

Any thoughts on revising goals for 2010? My goal was 750 miles and a sub-27 minute 5k. I ran 93 miles in January, most of which were 9-9:30 miles. I seem to gain about 5 seconds for each speed work out I do, so both goals look like something I can meet pretty easily. Better to keep the goal very reasonable and hittable, or up the goal to something that will take work to shoot for but might not make?

#14 ·
Subbing!

I got out for a short walk ~ 3/4 mile trying to get V to fall asleep in the stroller. She didn't, but she came home and nursed to sleep. Thank heavens! First nap of the day happened at 1:45 and usually happens between 10 and 11. That was after the night we had.

Now, I'm resting.

PS ~ Espresso machine mamas - what kind do you have? Any recs?

#16 ·
(gasp-actually a running question from me!)

geo-do you do your speedwork on a track or do you incorporate it into your daily runs? this is something i struggle with-i feel like i just don't get the speed unless i do "serious" track workouts. when i try to incorporate them into my daily runs-i don't get speedier as a result. What speed work do you (or any of you) do that isn't on a track (since i can't do that anymore w. the kids...)

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I am still going round and round with the car issues.. We now have a different budget, thanks to our tax return. So.. Any opinions on a Pontiac Vibe?
I am hopeless.. I'll never make up my mind!
A friend of mine had a Vibe, and wasn't sold on how it handled or how it held up at all. For her, it was one problem after another. But, it could have been a lemon too. Hard to know. She now has a Kia (can't remember which model) and she likes it much better.

Since I'm new to the thread, I haven't posted a goal anywhere yet. I'm a very very beginning runner (have been running for about a month), and have signed up for a 5k at the end of March. I am hoping that I might be able to finish it under 40mins, but depending on what the weather is like, sub 45 might be more realistic.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Any thoughts on revising goals for 2010? My goal was 750 miles and a sub-27 minute 5k. I ran 93 miles in January, most of which were 9-9:30 miles. I seem to gain about 5 seconds for each speed work out I do, so both goals look like something I can meet pretty easily. Better to keep the goal very reasonable and hittable, or up the goal to something that will take work to shoot for but might not make?

Wow, sounds like your training is going really well.

Not exactly the same thing but with my weight loss goal I have set it 5 pounds lower that what I know I can get to fairly easily. I figure I will shot for my ideal, but be okay with getting to my less aggressive goal. Does that make sense?

#19 ·

Went to the Y for spin class, which was almost full (practically NEVER happens for the noon class). I was there 15 minutes early and didn't get my normal bike! I swear this instructor has something going on...she's been a major hard-a$$ since New Years, which of course is both good and bad...

Have to work childcare at DS's school tonight (my parent committee responsibility). From 6-9, ugh. I was really hoping that XH could either do it or take DS, since DS goes to bed by 6:30, but he's out of town. Here's hoping the meeting that we're providing childcare for gets over early.

#20 ·
Happy Birthday KERC!!!!

So...do I do the 15K at Gasparilla (1 hr. away) on Feb. 28th or try for a 25K (15 miles) earlier in the month...in the state park adjacent to my house? (which really, is kinda stupid, considering I'm training for a half marathon...which is less distance.) Hmmm.

There is a 10K the week before the 25K in the same park.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I'm having chocolate cake tonight to celebrate.

I think we are too -- there's the makings of chocolate cake in the sink. Happy Birthday to Mr. Geofizz who I think shares my birthday.

Revising goals: yes, IMO you can revise goals. But I also view it like I do work --- January can be really productive for me, but May seems to be full of crap I've gotta do and I don't fit it in as well.

#23 ·
Gaye ~ your DS goes to bed at 6:30??? In.My.Dreams
!!!! Hope the meeting ends early for you.

Welcome lemurmommies! Google "Runners Knee" and see if that sounds like what's going on for you. Knee problems should never be ignored/run through. Trust me. I know

pumpkinseed ~ speedwork + treadmill = your friend
. Given the fact that there is no public track here, I do all speedwork on the treadmill and it's really nice for forcing a pace.

DH just called from work to see if it was still okay for him to go to the Y. Was expecting him home by 6:00pm, but now it looks more like 7:30
. Still, I would never deny him a workout, since he ALWAYS lets me run/bike/swim when I want to. So I brought a big plastic bin of snow into the kitchen and the kids are going NUTS with Playmobil in the snow. I think I stole the idea from a Dingo...

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
So I brought a big plastic bin of snow into the kitchen and the kids are going NUTS with Playmobil in the snow. I think I stole the idea from a Dingo...
perhaps us

My kids begin the bedtime routine at 645 when I'm in charge, bedtime is probably 730-8ish. Otherwise it becomes a 9pm or later bedtime . WHich makes me crazy.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerc View Post
My kids begin the bedtime routine at 645 when I'm in charge, bedtime is probably 730-8ish. Otherwise it becomes a 9pm or later bedtime . WHich makes me crazy.
9 drives me crazy. Unfortunately, she's never in bed before 8:30 and usually isn't asleep until 8:45 or later. And she's suddenly become very attached to me lying down with her. I'm doing it only because I know it won't always be possible once the baby is here, and apparently because my pregnancy hormones are screaming that she's becoming a big girl really fast and I shouldn't wish away these last couple of months of having an only.

6:30 would require us to eat way earlier though, and DH isn't home until 5:45 or 6 on normal days.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Welcome lemurmommies! Google "Runners Knee" and see if that sounds like what's going on for you. Knee problems should never be ignored/run through. Trust me. I know
I've done some reading and spoken to the leader of my Learn to Run clinic too, and it seems that what I'm experiencing is "patellofemoral pain." I am doing some strengthening exercises to work on the muscle groups in my legs, which I totally admit are flabby and out of shape and likely contributing to the problem. My knees also seem to hurt less when I am barefoot, so I am going to switch running shoes. I think they might be making things worse.

The pain isn't bad, and actually doesn't hurt while running for the most part, so I am trying to keep my pace slow and keep at it. I know I don't want to injure myself further, but I also don't want to stop altogether and risk losing my momentum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.