Running right past February - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dingo n. An MDC mama (or soon-to-be mama, or mama in her heart) with the desire to move forward at a run or walk. She supports her fellow dingo in each dingo's quest to find balance and reason in her life.

Requirements to become a dingo: Posting on this thread goals for the day, week, month, year, or decade. OK if starting couch to 5k or running and ultra marathon.

Identifying features of a dingo: Posts often here, facebook, daily mile. Starts to get antsy during extended time off for injury or sickness. Found on the road, on the dreadmill, in the pool, or on a bike.

origin of the term: Naughty Dingos on Tour

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Quickly posting so I can be at the beginning of the thread.

Happy Birthday Kerc!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm headed home early from work to go skiing, followed by dinner and then yoga + beer out.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM

Subbing.

Sounds like a wonderful birthday, Kerc-enjoy!!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM

Happy birthday kerc! Yoga and beer sounds like a great way to celebrate!

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 PM

subbing

Happy Birthday, kerc!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Yay, it's February! One month closer to spring!

Happy Birthday, kerc !!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Happy Birthday kerc!

goal: As my morning schedule/routine changes I am not going to drop my stretching routine with yoga dvds. It is how I stay healthy/uninjured so it is as important as running and lifting. (Helen needs a bit more help in the morning than Alice, especially right now. Dh cannot be counted on in the morning.)

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Happy Birthday Kerc!!!

subbing to the new thread with........RR!! Ran 1.25 miles on the treadmill, with NO PAIN!! after a 20 minute body weight work out too.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Woot! Woot! Happy birthday kerc!

I am almost done with the taxes. but for a refund that can make the water softener issue much less painful. AND I found an error on my mortgage lender's 1098 that increases my refund by $400.

Dh found out today he expects to be gone to the Middle East all of May. I wish they'd send him there in Dec, Jan or Feb and let him have the best months of WI weather. Gr. Bright side, more travel-related points for the family trip in September, I guess.

OK. Going to squeeze some productivity out of the next hour...
Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 PM

bueno!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Yoga + beer is one of the best combos I know of!

I am still going round and round with the car issues.. We now have a different budget, thanks to our tax return. So.. Any opinions on a Pontiac Vibe? I am hopeless.. I'll never make up my mind!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Happy birthday kerc.

I'm having chocolate cake tonight to celebrate.

Going for 4 nights in a row on running -- not quite the jooj level, but I am starting to think about looking up how much rest I need. I'm finding I get antsy without a run.

Any thoughts on revising goals for 2010? My goal was 750 miles and a sub-27 minute 5k. I ran 93 miles in January, most of which were 9-9:30 miles. I seem to gain about 5 seconds for each speed work out I do, so both goals look like something I can meet pretty easily. Better to keep the goal very reasonable and hittable, or up the goal to something that will take work to shoot for but might not make?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Subbing!

I got out for a short walk ~ 3/4 mile trying to get V to fall asleep in the stroller. She didn't, but she came home and nursed to sleep. Thank heavens! First nap of the day happened at 1:45 and usually happens between 10 and 11. That was after the night we had.

Now, I'm resting.

PS ~ Espresso machine mamas - what kind do you have? Any recs?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Happy Birthday, kerc!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 02-01-2010, 07:51 PM

(gasp-actually a running question from me!)

geo-do you do your speedwork on a track or do you incorporate it into your daily runs? this is something i struggle with-i feel like i just don't get the speed unless i do "serious" track workouts. when i try to incorporate them into my daily runs-i don't get speedier as a result. What speed work do you (or any of you) do that isn't on a track (since i can't do that anymore w. the kids...)
Old 02-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I am still going round and round with the car issues.. We now have a different budget, thanks to our tax return. So.. Any opinions on a Pontiac Vibe? I am hopeless.. I'll never make up my mind!
A friend of mine had a Vibe, and wasn't sold on how it handled or how it held up at all. For her, it was one problem after another. But, it could have been a lemon too. Hard to know. She now has a Kia (can't remember which model) and she likes it much better.

Since I'm new to the thread, I haven't posted a goal anywhere yet. I'm a very very beginning runner (have been running for about a month), and have signed up for a 5k at the end of March. I am hoping that I might be able to finish it under 40mins, but depending on what the weather is like, sub 45 might be more realistic.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Any thoughts on revising goals for 2010? My goal was 750 miles and a sub-27 minute 5k. I ran 93 miles in January, most of which were 9-9:30 miles. I seem to gain about 5 seconds for each speed work out I do, so both goals look like something I can meet pretty easily. Better to keep the goal very reasonable and hittable, or up the goal to something that will take work to shoot for but might not make?

Wow, sounds like your training is going really well.

Not exactly the same thing but with my weight loss goal I have set it 5 pounds lower that what I know I can get to fairly easily. I figure I will shot for my ideal, but be okay with getting to my less aggressive goal. Does that make sense?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Went to the Y for spin class, which was almost full (practically NEVER happens for the noon class). I was there 15 minutes early and didn't get my normal bike! I swear this instructor has something going on...she's been a major hard-a$$ since New Years, which of course is both good and bad...

Have to work childcare at DS's school tonight (my parent committee responsibility). From 6-9, ugh. I was really hoping that XH could either do it or take DS, since DS goes to bed by 6:30, but he's out of town. Here's hoping the meeting that we're providing childcare for gets over early.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Happy Birthday KERC!!!!

So...do I do the 15K at Gasparilla (1 hr. away) on Feb. 28th or try for a 25K (15 miles) earlier in the month...in the state park adjacent to my house? (which really, is kinda stupid, considering I'm training for a half marathon...which is less distance.) Hmmm.

There is a 10K the week before the 25K in the same park.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I'm having chocolate cake tonight to celebrate.
I think we are too -- there's the makings of chocolate cake in the sink. Happy Birthday to Mr. Geofizz who I think shares my birthday.

Revising goals: yes, IMO you can revise goals. But I also view it like I do work --- January can be really productive for me, but May seems to be full of crap I've gotta do and I don't fit it in as well.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Happy birthday kerc!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Gaye ~ your DS goes to bed at 6:30??? In.My.Dreams !!!! Hope the meeting ends early for you.

Welcome lemurmommies! Google "Runners Knee" and see if that sounds like what's going on for you. Knee problems should never be ignored/run through. Trust me. I know .

pumpkinseed ~ speedwork + treadmill = your friend . Given the fact that there is no public track here, I do all speedwork on the treadmill and it's really nice for forcing a pace.

DH just called from work to see if it was still okay for him to go to the Y. Was expecting him home by 6:00pm, but now it looks more like 7:30 . Still, I would never deny him a workout, since he ALWAYS lets me run/bike/swim when I want to. So I brought a big plastic bin of snow into the kitchen and the kids are going NUTS with Playmobil in the snow. I think I stole the idea from a Dingo... .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
So I brought a big plastic bin of snow into the kitchen and the kids are going NUTS with Playmobil in the snow. I think I stole the idea from a Dingo... .
perhaps us

My kids begin the bedtime routine at 645 when I'm in charge, bedtime is probably 730-8ish. Otherwise it becomes a 9pm or later bedtime . WHich makes me crazy.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
My kids begin the bedtime routine at 645 when I'm in charge, bedtime is probably 730-8ish. Otherwise it becomes a 9pm or later bedtime . WHich makes me crazy.
9 drives me crazy. Unfortunately, she's never in bed before 8:30 and usually isn't asleep until 8:45 or later. And she's suddenly become very attached to me lying down with her. I'm doing it only because I know it won't always be possible once the baby is here, and apparently because my pregnancy hormones are screaming that she's becoming a big girl really fast and I shouldn't wish away these last couple of months of having an only.

6:30 would require us to eat way earlier though, and DH isn't home until 5:45 or 6 on normal days.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Welcome lemurmommies! Google "Runners Knee" and see if that sounds like what's going on for you. Knee problems should never be ignored/run through. Trust me. I know .
I've done some reading and spoken to the leader of my Learn to Run clinic too, and it seems that what I'm experiencing is "patellofemoral pain." I am doing some strengthening exercises to work on the muscle groups in my legs, which I totally admit are flabby and out of shape and likely contributing to the problem. My knees also seem to hurt less when I am barefoot, so I am going to switch running shoes. I think they might be making things worse.

The pain isn't bad, and actually doesn't hurt while running for the most part, so I am trying to keep my pace slow and keep at it. I know I don't want to injure myself further, but I also don't want to stop altogether and risk losing my momentum.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 PM

A drumroll please. I'll wait.

I JUST FINISHED OUR TAXES AND I HAVE ENOUGH TO PAY FOR MIDWIFERY SCHOOL!

I was sweating it. DH made less last year, so when I saw his W-2 I figured we weren't going to get enough back to cover my tuition. However, never underestimate the lovely tax credit for having a child in college! I went up and kissed DSS, he looked horrified until I told him he just gave me midwifery school. Then he said "remember that when you are griping about something I did next time". I love that kid.

We'll even have $1500 left for a big old pantry stock up and savings, plus DH is getting a small year end bonus that I didn't know about until I read about it in the paper (there are advantages to working for the biggest gig in town, publicity for bonuses is one of them).

I can breathe again and it feels GOOD.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Yay Megan! That's terrific!

Welcome, Lemur!

Happy Birthday, kerc!

Jo, I'd do the 10K and the 15K, myself, unless you think you'll have the childcare juggle again and the 25K is your one, best, closest shot.

Geo, I'd up the goals. I'm impressed w. both your time goal and your distance accomplishment! I should do a 5K this summer - I haven't done one in a while (only 10K and half marathons.) Be nice to get a new or at least a fresh PR.

RR: um, I did yoga. But I'm planning to run T/Th and I should be fine for that plus prep tomorrow.

My job is eating my life again, already, and it's only gonna get worse. Sigh. Ooops, must go make dinner - such fun after the 10hr not-finished workday. Sigh.

Yay for the Feb thread!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 02-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Geo - your training is going to really take off with so much accountability/so many running partners! I think you want to run the Columbus Marathon this fall and I think your goal time is 3:45. I think I know somebody that will run with you. I don't even know what m/m pace that is of the top of my head.

memiles - yea! for college tuition.

I'd run what I can afford financially and childcare-wise and dh goodwill-wise.

JayGee, is there a link for the 5K? I'll have to look at the plan and see how I am feeling. I am registered for the Flying Pig half on May 2 but said that if I was switching to the full if I did my last two long runs. Now I am putting it off until Feb 15th just to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

bedtime: 8:00 and dh does it.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Penelope, I think you mean Nick... We really ARE NOT the same person. But I'd probably do the same. 10K is a nice distance, and 15K would be something nice to do, too.

memiles, that is GREAT news! It looks like our taxes will get me a water softener and plane tickets, if that's what we decide to do. Otherwise, water softener, pay off my car, and maybe get dh a tractor or big tiller. My car will be paid off this spring one way or t'other.

But it would be me using that tiller, if dh is really in Kuwait all of May. I just wish they'd send him to France, Turkey, Portugal...he's suggesting I go along to Kuwait. I feel a little bad being so totally not interested in going. But I can shop here if I want to, yk? And I don't like shopping.

Speaking of, I tried on jeans at St. Vinnie's. I'm not ready. But I got some cool coffee mugs.

User Tag List