Whole Foods offering better discounts to fitter employees - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricegonzales View Post
This program is not mandatory, so how is this an invasion of privacy?
If you utilize the program then there has to be a way for the check out person to ring your discount and they can either see that or figure it out for themselves. I would call that an invasion of my privacy. I'm pretty sensitive about that though...

And people throwing local co-ops around as great options--they ain't all great. Mine had to do a wage freeze for about the past two years. They don't mention it until after they hire you.

Pay rates probably depend upon regions--of they came to where I am they would pay SIGNIFICANTLY higher than other natural foods stores.
#62 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
But you can't deny that obesity is associated with increased health problems. So the logic would follow that non-smoking, skinny employees are cheaper to insure.
I'm a non-smoking, non-drinking, mostly vegetarian, obese woman who has hypothyroidism (medicated, but still having symptoms and looking into other auto-immune/endo diseases). Other then my thyroid and weight, I'm perfectly healthy... no problems with blood pressure, cholesterol, sugars, etc. I hate that people assume that fat = need to be on a bunch of drugs to survive. And I've been on both sides of the weight scale... overweight and anorexic (and i guarantee i was a biggest costs to my insurance company "skinny" then i am now). And if you don't think i work hard at trying to be healthy (including losing weight), then you (collective) are crazy.

Another other question, how would this policy apply to pregnant woman? Must they maintain these measures too (even when its inadvisable)?

I believe the policy is discriminatory and am rather grateful that 1) there is not one near me closer then a 6 hour drive and 2) I wonder of how many of you agree with this "fat discrimination" would have the gall to say what you've said here to someone's face. Some of the comments are just sickening and i find to be a slap in the face for people who may be overweight/obese and do work hard to be healthy

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#63 of 65 Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 AM

If WF were really interested in bettering the health of their work force then they would a) increase wages and b) improve work conditions with the view of decreasing (work) stress.

As a medical sociologist the data are pretty clear about the causes of morbidity and mortality. Obesity on its own doesn't tell us more... obesity coupled with stress = a bad combination. But stress combined with anything is pretty bad for our health. As is poverty and a growing gap between the rich and the poor...

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#64 of 65 Old 03-06-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
If WF were really interested in bettering the health of their work force then they would a) increase wages and b) improve work conditions with the view of decreasing (work) stress.

As a medical sociologist the data are pretty clear about the causes of morbidity and mortality. Obesity on its own doesn't tell us more... obesity coupled with stress = a bad combination. But stress combined with anything is pretty bad for our health. As is poverty and a growing gap between the rich and the poor...
YEAH THAT!!!!!!

And I agree that there's been a level of ignorant prejudice displayed on this thread that I find disturbing. I really understand the hard work and pride that people have who've lost a lot of weight and kept it off have. However, I think it's really dangerous to then assume that anyone can do the same. Until you've been in someone else's shoes, you can't know the barriers holding them back - or even whether that's there most important personal development or health goal (or should be).

I have lost 70 plus pounds before and gained it back over several years and am in the process of losing it again. And I feel really confident about it because my body responds well to me working out and eating well without any major deprivation. It's work, of course, but I've got a good metabolism, have been thin before (and all my youth) and know it's possible. My partner, on the other hand, who has about 100-140 pounds to lose has it a lot tougher. He's never been thin and struggled with weight his whole life. He has a whole different level of body/psychological issues to deal with that I don't. Weight loss comes VERY slowly for him and his body works against it in a way mine doesn't. So committing to losing weight has to be a crazy high priority for him and takes so much effort and attention. For years, I hoped he'd work on it (and nagged too much), but there were other very real priorities: quitting smoking, getting his degree so he could get a good job, starting a new job, having a baby/building a relationship with my daughter, etc. Those were all very important to his health and the health of his family. Now he's doing WW and doing well (though the loss is still 2-3lbs/week for a very overweight man so not fast at all). He has a plan and he personally is ready. And I really hope it works for him, but it means 1-2 years of really focusing on it to drop the weight and forever being conscious to not regain it. That's a tall order and I, for one, don't blame people for not being able to succeed at it in this crazy busy, stressful, underpaid, overworked society that we live in.
#65 of 65 Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 AM

I think that americans in general have a very distorted image of what a healthy body weight looks like, and what is "Too skinny".

I have been a healthy BMI, but when people learned my weight they didn't believe it. I was solid muscle, with very little fat. People like Britney spears don't exactly weigh 120lbs, she's got too much muscle. She probably weighs closer to 150.

I think that people can manage their calories and their exercise and strive to be healthier. I don't think there's anything wrong with stating that being overweight isn't healthy. I hear just as many derogatory comments about "Skinny minnie" and "Go ahead and eat some more, you need it" as I do about obese people.

I think that people should focus on eating and living healthy, and a healthy weight for them will come along with it. Whether you'll admit it on an internet message board, if you aren't eating right or not getting up and moving every day, and you're overweight, that's generally the cause. If you do all that and you still have extra weight, there's probably something else involved.

It's pretty much calories in = calories out for the rest of civilization, though. You eat more than you need, your body is going to store it as fat, simple as that. I don't think it's any secret that americans, and now it's spreading to several european countries as well, have a weight problem, and it's caused by sedentary lifestyles and too much junk in their food.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page