When do you find time for workouts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-06-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a hard time fitting workouts in with work, little ones, and a dh who works 3 nights a week and has schoolwork on the weekends. I try to plan a workout after work and then find myself not wanting to get back out, or having to do something with my kids, or even feeling guilty for being gone from my kids so much. I'm also finding it harder with 2 kids. When I just had the one, it seemed easier to put him in a jogger and get out or turn on an exercise video. With 2, it's just not working out. So, I'm wondering if I just have to plan my week out and be set on when I'm going to get in exercise. How do you make time and stick to a workout plan? Do you have a clear plan at the beginning of the week?
#2 of 4 Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM

I have experienced this (lack of personal time) at various times in the last 15 years. For me it meant breaking up my workouts into 20 minute parts. I would do what I could of anything. Walking, videos, dancing, yard work, running around and crawling on the floor with the kids. My kids love to "workout". Just do what you can, through out the day. One of the best perks of this philosophy is the example you set.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#3 of 4 Old 02-07-2010, 03:40 PM

My new trick lately is to do pilates -- with DD. She finds the exercises MUCH easier than I do, though.

There's no equipment required, no specialized space, and I genuinely do feel like I am getting solid workout.
#4 of 4 Old 02-07-2010, 03:45 PM

For me, it's been working to pay for a YMCA membership. I take the kids to do family swim (and they will remind me when it's family swim night, so that helps with the "get out the door" and with the spending more time with them. DH comes to workout with me after that, but it works when he's not available too. The the kids go to childwatch for a bit while we work out, and they often fall asleep for the night on the way home.

I found it very hard to work out on my own, but when I'm paying for gym time, and the kids are very motivating to get there a couple times a week because they want to swim.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page