Favorite ab exercise? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had a baby six months ago and I've been walking/jogging with her almost every day to get back in shape so that I can go for long runs by the summer. However, I just can't seem to get my belly back in shape and am sick of my old core routine. I need some fun exercises to help motivate me. Any ideas??

Totally in love with my mountain man husband, and deeply fallen for my baby bird Gemma (8/09) and a new bird joining the nest this spring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Lay on your back, hold your legs up with your thighs straight up and your calves parallel to the ground (knees bent!) Then put your baby on your calves and sort of hold her on with your hands as you extend your legs and bring your legs back in.

Another good ab exercise is called a "renegade row" Get into a plank/push-up position with your feet wider than your hips. Now, do a row on one side. If you can do it with a hand weight, awesome. If you can, do a full set on one side then switch, if you can't do it with a weight, switch arms on alternate reps. Baby can lay on your mat and get kisses.

Another fun one is a plank where you walk your feet around. Either do a simple "out out in in" pattern between shoulder width and as wide as is comfortable, or do a semi circle with little side steps. Another good baby kissing exercise.

Do remember that it will also take time for your skin to bounce back, and also if you're generally back in shape except for a poofy belly you should check for diasis recti:
Lay down as to do a crunch, feel for a separation as your shoulders come slightly off the mat. Most instructions for it will tell you to just lift your head, but there's a small separation that happens for most people at that point that will, unlike true diasis, go away as the shoulders come up.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 PM

I like core exercises with stability balls.

Jackknives are good
http://restorepersonaltraining.com/w...jack_knife.jpg

And clamshell crunches
http://handbagdietclub.com/news/imag...clamcrunch.jpg
(but tuck the ball between your knees)

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 PM

I do mostly planks and v-ups inbetween lifting sets while at the gym on a bench, which a 12 pound two handled core ball.

Planks are wonderful because you can just do them anywhere. It is very beneficial because you are teaching your abs to contract while steady, not just crunching movements. I spend very little time directly doing any kind of ab "training" and stick with basic lifting, and planks.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post
I like core exercises with stability balls.

Jackknives are good
http://restorepersonaltraining.com/w...jack_knife.jpg

And clamshell crunches
http://handbagdietclub.com/news/imag...clamcrunch.jpg
(but tuck the ball between your knees)
holy cow i just tried the jackknives....how the heck do you keep the ball from going side to side? mine was just going all over the place, i wasnt able to do the straight up and down motion.

DS 5-11-06
Old 02-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I do mostly planks and v-ups inbetween lifting sets while at the gym on a bench, which a 12 pound two handled core ball.

Planks are wonderful because you can just do them anywhere. It is very beneficial because you are teaching your abs to contract while steady, not just crunching movements. I spend very little time directly doing any kind of ab "training" and stick with basic lifting, and planks.
Thanks for this! You said it before elsewhere and it's what I've been doing and I'm very happy so far. I hate, hate, hate crunches and sit-ups and all that and read that for some post-partum women, they actually do more harm than good.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 02-13-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
holy cow i just tried the jackknives....how the heck do you keep the ball from going side to side? mine was just going all over the place, i wasnt able to do the straight up and down motion.
That's the trick- you use your entire core- not just abs, but obliques and lower back to keep yourself steady. They're hard, but man are they good. I still can't do the advanced version after a couple years of training:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hTeL7NJoby...+ball+pike.jpg

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 02-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Thanks for this! You said it before elsewhere and it's what I've been doing and I'm very happy so far. I hate, hate, hate crunches and sit-ups and all that and read that for some post-partum women, they actually do more harm than good.
That's awesome. It's so nice to find things that work and you don't dread doing, and actually make you feel good. And yeah, crunches are not a natural motion, when in real life do you ever do anything that mimics a crunch?! It's killer for your back!

User Tag List