Push ups - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2010, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was there a movement around here to do some sort of program that worked up to 100 push ups? I was thinking of doing it with dh. Anyone remember this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 AM

here

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:48 PM

I will join in!!! I've been off the wagon with my push up challenge, so I will start fresh with you.

Want to start tomorrow!?!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM

I want to give it a try. I need some a new exercise challenge.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 PM

I got started today. Anyone else start today?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 AM

I did my initial test today, and I was able to do 15 really good form pushups!!!

(Last time I tried this I could barely do 5 totally bad form pushups! )

So I'm in rank 3.

Can't wait to go through this 6 week challenge with you ladies!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 02-24-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, lil'earth! That's awesome. I can only do two. I was surprised because my arms look muscly from swimming and yoga, but I guess they are different muscles.

We're off!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 PM

If you want to do less push ups get a weight vest.

rollers are good too.

See vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hk9z1YVcE

Highly recommended. Get it from your library. Showcases the unhealthy US diet.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Size-Me-.../dp/B0002OXVBO
Old 02-25-2010, 02:11 PM

I started it once before, but we got sick and then I fell off the wagon. I can do 40-45 pushups, maybe 50 i think a couple times so I don't know where to start in that challenge.

I really want to see if it works though, like if you really can get up to 100 but I can't seem to stick with it
Old 02-27-2010, 01:54 AM

Do you guys do real push ups or girl push ups? I can't do real push ups for the life of me. I've always had pretty poor upper body strength in comparison with my size (6 foot, 140ish). I wanted to do the whole thing with girl push ups, and then do it again with real push ups. I need to get back to it.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 AM

I started with modifications and then repeated the plan doing regulation pushups. I never got to 100 in a set but I did work up past 100 total. I am not sure I am ready to start again though I should. My count per set has dropped. Once I got to a total of 100 I might modify it to raise my feet. I have been thinking more about pullups lately. I can do 2.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:58 PM

I am gonna join! I would love to be able to do 100 consecutive pushups. I currently can do around 45, I have made it to 49 twice...which killed me cause I really want to make it to 50, but I was done. Anyway, I'm starting in column 3 week 1. The first few weeks will be easy, but week 6 looks brutal.

Mommajb, I am really wanting to do more pullups too. I can do 5 consecutive...my short term goal is 10. I saw that they will be posting a 25 pullup program on the same website as the pushup program soon.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
I am gonna join! I would love to be able to do 100 consecutive pushups. I currently can do around 45, I have made it to 49 twice...which killed me cause I really want to make it to 50, but I was done. Anyway, I'm starting in column 3 week 1. The first few weeks will be easy, but week 6 looks brutal.

Mommajb, I am really wanting to do more pullups too. I can do 5 consecutive...my short term goal is 10. I saw that they will be posting a 25 pullup program on the same website as the pushup program soon.
We are like exactly the same mama....like food and fitness wise. Maybe I'll do it too. I made it to 50 pushups once, but I don't know how because i can never make it past liek 45 or 47 now
Old 02-28-2010, 12:04 AM

I know Lisa, it is fun to see parallel's in food and fitness with someone else here. Of course there is the added bonus of workout sharing too, which has been great. I can't wait to see if the pushup challenge will work. I do a lot of pushups in my workouts, but have never done a "program" to do more. We shall see. I did the first day today.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:35 AM

I can only do 7 of the real push ups.

But I can do 50 of the modified push ups.

My goal is to do 100 of the real push ups. And since they are so hard, I know it is going to take me a long time to reach that goal. Because those push ups are hard for me to do, but I'll keep trying.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

DH said I am doing the pushups wrong. I am doing them chaturanga style. I have no strength to do them with my elbows out.

ryleigh'smama and 425lisamarie: You will be able to do 100 in no time! What food program are you on?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM

I struggle in yoga when they say push-up position with the elbows in. I need to double check what I want to be doing so I can compare it to what I am doing.

As an aside, my workouts have been so focused on endurance running with 'just enough' strength training. I am currently not able to run due to a foot injury so I am rethinking this. I know I need to run but I might do better with different goals this year.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
DH said I am doing the pushups wrong. I am doing them chaturanga style. I have no strength to do them with my elbows out.

ryleigh'smama and 425lisamarie: You will be able to do 100 in no time! What food program are you on?
I try to eat primal. So, no grains, lower carb, lots of fat and protein and veggies. There is a book (which I have never read ) called "The Primal Blueprint" that is what my diet is based off of. There is also a site www.marksdailyapple.com that has a ton of info on the diet (I have read a lot of stuff on the website). It seems to make my body really happy and I feel great.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 PM

I am working on these as well. Just started working out again- had a baby then started at about 5 weeks then we all got sick and just started again. I am now at 10 good form pushups. I hope to be at least 20 by the end of the month.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
I know Lisa, it is fun to see parallel's in food and fitness with someone else here. Of course there is the added bonus of workout sharing too, which has been great. I can't wait to see if the pushup challenge will work. I do a lot of pushups in my workouts, but have never done a "program" to do more. We shall see. I did the first day today.
I'm wondering if it "works" too. If I decide to do something, I"ll stick with it, so if I do it as it describes I'm assuming it should work ? I guess it WOULD be kinda cool to do 100 pushups
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM

This week I am advancing to 8 push ups.

I will truly be surprised if I will ever be able to do 100
push ups.

I am continuing to do my modified push up each day. Plus hand weights. I really want to firm up my arms.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessoflove View Post
This week I am advancing to 8 push ups.

I will truly be surprised if I will ever be able to do 100
push ups.

I am continuing to do my modified push up each day. Plus hand weights. I really want to firm up my arms.
You can do it!!! It may take a couple of cycles, but you'll get there!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 PM

I'm doing this program and I think it's "working". When I did the initial test I was barely able to do 3 regulation push-ups and it hurt badly. So I am doing push-ups against the wall. I did week 4/day 1 today. I did 87 push-ups between the sets and the maximum I did at the end. That's almost 3 times as many as I was doing when I started this! I'm really encouraged by my progress. When I finish the 6 weeks of wall push-ups I'm going to start again with "girly" ones.

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
I'm doing this program and I think it's "working". When I did the initial test I was barely able to do 3 regulation push-ups and it hurt badly. So I am doing push-ups against the wall. I did week 4/day 1 today. I did 87 push-ups between the sets and the maximum I did at the end. That's almost 3 times as many as I was doing when I started this! I'm really encouraged by my progress. When I finish the 6 weeks of wall push-ups I'm going to start again with "girly" ones.
AWESOME!!!

That's how I started. I started with not being able to do any pushups, so I did the girly ones. Now I'm doing the program doing great form standard pushups! It really does help take the guess work out of strength building.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 AM

Thanks lil_earthmomma I am hanging in there as best I can.

This week I continue to do the 8 push ups. They are so hard!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 AM

I'm doin it! I'm so glad you posted about this, I don't think I ever would have found out about it otherwise. I've been meaning to get off my butt for so long and although this isn't the 'total body workout' I have been dreaming I'll do I am in love with the focus of one single goal that requires no prep and no special equipment and anyone can do.
So I did an exhaustion test and I can do 25 wall push ups from fairly far away but only 2 knee push ups so after much consideration and support from DP I am doing the challenge with knee push ups.
However I need longer than a minuet to be able to do 2 more so likely I will just be dropping and 'giving two' several times a day until I meet my daily goal.
Am starting tomorrow! How's everyone doing?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Lorrielink - Congrats on starting! I think you'll be really glad you did. I too was attracted to something that seemed so straightforward and do-able. I can do this! So can you!

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:41 PM

I just saw this mentioned in another post and was only able to do 8 "girly" pushups, knees down. It's all uphill from here though!

So, are standard pushups elbows out or elbows near the body? I get all caught up in that and can't focus as well. My elbows want to go out a bit naturally...
Old 03-15-2010, 06:16 PM

Wow, that first week was rough. by the last day of the first week i was sure I wasn't going to be able to do any more but today I actually did 6 push ups. Considering how hard it was just to do 3 I'm having a hard time not thinking I'm hallucinating. I'm spreading out my sets as far as I need to so I can accomplish my daily goal but each day I am able to do the sets closer together. I still can't believe for one second that I will be able to do 100 in five more weeks but it feels really great when I mark off my sets for the day.
It's weird, I feel alternately proud and embarrassed for my little sets of 4 and 5 push ups.
How are you all doing? what week are you on?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookesmom View Post

So, are standard pushups elbows out or elbows near the body? I get all caught up in that and can't focus as well. My elbows want to go out a bit naturally...
Elbows out is the standard form for push ups!

I'm still doing the challenge too! I was really seriously ill this week and weak as a kitten (I couldn't even open jars by myself! ), but I'm jumpin' back on!

User Tag List