any tips to help me stop snacking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I seriously need some tips here, Im snacking all day long, like every 2 hours just for the sake of it...im not even hungry half the time! help?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM

snacking often is not bad. but you have to snack on healthy things. get rid of junk food, and snack on fruit or small amounts of nuts, etc. Also, try to get out of the house or do some excercise when you feel like eating. its hard at first but it will become habitual.

DS 5-11-06
Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You may need to take a 1 day snack "fast" where you don't snack at all to kinda reset yourself. That works for me. Not cutting overall calories, but just having a rule for a day or so that you know you can't break. During the day, consider what snacks you would like to have and when during your days, and literally throw out anything that you over-indulge in that is unhealthy.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM

water, water and more water!!! Aim for 8-10 cups of water. If you feel like grabbing a snack, drink a big glass of water instead. That's what works for me! The water fills me up and sort of gets rid of that need to snack.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Everytime I want to snack I have a big glass of water, I think alot of the time I confuse thirst for hunger.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM

As one person had mentioned try snacking on healthy food, like strawberries, grapes, apples and drink lots of water. You can also try having a large breakfast in the mornings maybe that will help.

Worlds Best Mom
Old 03-02-2010, 07:52 PM

If a drink of water doesn't fix it, try protein. Fruit is awesome, but for me it makes me want more and more fruit. Yeah, nuts are more caloric than an apple, but a serving of almonds is less calories than 3 apples and that's how much I end up eating of each. (or one apple with almond butter, mmmmmm)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Herbal tea with liquid stevia is doing it for me. I'm drinking about 6 cups per day... but mostly no snacking.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:15 PM

My new rules include only fruits and veggies between meals, and no eating anything in front of the tv. I'm finding that planning out my snacks helps a bit-- a banana at 9:30-10 am, maybe broiled zucchini or something around 3pm. I've also become a huge fan of sugarfree minty gum-- that nice fresh just-brushed-my-teeth feeling is something I enjoy and the mint seems to make other foods/flavors eem less appealing.

Also-- just getting out of the house and staying busy helps a TON. When I'm home all day with dd, I find myself wandering into the kitchen on auto-pilot. If I'm out or busy, it really takes care of cutting that mindless snacking.

Goo luck!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was going to suggest herbal teas or possibly even a sugar-free chewing gum, something with a strong flavor like mint.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM

I find that when I start snacking on something I want to keep eating it. So I try to dole out the portion size on the back of the package (or use common sense for non packaged foods) and then when I am done with the serving, brush my teeth. That takes the taste out and the need to keep feeding.

I also find that if I skimp on breakfast lunch or dinner I am snacking later. There no point in eating a salad for lunch if I'm just going to eat a whole bag of Goldfish later on ! So I make sure to fill up at mealtime. (for instance I load my salad with meat, avocado, cheese, and maybe a handful of goldfish )

I usually make a green smoothie at mid morning to get me to lunch, and then have a cup of chai tea with milk honey at 3ish to curb that mid afternoon sweet craving.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 PM

What worked for me was to just... stop snacking.

I don't mean to be glib or snarky! I'm serious. Meals only, one plate per. Tea or water in between. Yeah, it was a hard adjustment at first, but once I simply drew the line, it was all good from there on out.

Bold mama to Georgia and Penelope.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I agree with the suggestions for tea (Green or herbal, preferably) or 8-10 glasses of water whenever you're hungry. Plus a handful of nuts and some fruit. Schedule your snacks so you don't eat in between constantly. If you're that hungry all day-are you getting enough at meals? Enough protein?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
water, water and more water!!! Aim for 8-10 cups of water. If you feel like grabbing a snack, drink a big glass of water instead. That's what works for me! The water fills me up and sort of gets rid of that need to snack.
good tip, this is what I may need.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!

User Tag List