Running the O'Dingo Way -- Dingos Run Into March like Lionesses! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not very exciting, but if anyone is interested, they did a cool fly over animation of my half coming up...

flyover

I don't know what to do about this stinking calf issue. However, I strong armed myself into actually making a doctor appt to see if I can start figuring it out or possibly be referred to PT. We switched insurance again, so I need to start over and find new docs. It's fine, just tedious.

Body issues - I'm with Jenlove and CFG - always have been slim. And I am 5'8" so I guess I appear slimmer than I really am because I have long legs. I mean, I have a mother belly and everthing so not stick thin. I used to get teased at school all the time for being thin, which I won't equate to being teased for being overweight, but it's still no thrill ride.

Neither of my parents are particularly thin, so I am not sure where I got the genes. I did grow up playing tennis and having value placed on sports, but I never really did much except gymnastics when I was younger and tennis as I was growing. Right around the start of high school, I ditched all that to start smoking and hang out with the outcast artist crowd. At the age of 40, I've found balance in producing art for sport companies now!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#302 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Interesting comments on growing up with sports. I played soccer, and we did frequent family bike rides, and I added v-ball in 7th grade. The emphasis in our house was always that it is something that is fun. I think that was a good approach. We participate in sports that we enjoy. The same mentality persists in my household. DH cycles and plays soccer to keep in shape because those are the things he enjoys. I run and cycle because I enjoy it. I've since learned that running and cycling make me feel good mentally and physically. The mental part actually leads...

Kinda freaky being at work today...
#303 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Growing up and sports ~ neither parent placed much value on athletics at all. My Dad had rheumatic fever as a 12 year old which did permenant heart valve damage, so at the age of 42, he had a heart valve replacement. He was not allowed to exercise from age 12-42. My Mom was never particularly athletic and the emphasis growing up was on academics and music. Sports, well, if you were "good" at them (like my younger brother), then they supported it. I was not good at them . I spent years sitting the bench for field hockey, soccer and women's lacrosse, and playing the last few minutes of the game IF we were either losing horribly or winning by a mile (ie. Kristina couldn't eff it up too much...) I'm kind of like Nic ~ running works because I CAN put one foot in front of the other . But I like exercise and the way it makes me feel. Especially, as Geo mentioned, the mental part .

I got a lot done this morning while DD was at preschool ~ ART on leg, which is feeling practically perfect BTW , oil change and tire pressure check at Toyota store, and shopping for a little sumthin' for my SS . Now if only I can squeeze in a run... somewhere...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#304 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 03:10 PM

hi ladies, reading along but not much time to post. actually pulled out my computer to write out a family calendar to keep us all straight.

dh: woke up to an email from dh about what friends I have on facebook. what the hell??!! Freakin' DONE with this crap!!

RR: ran a race with ds3 (5yo) on the wii, he kicked my butt. it was the longest one, while I was running, he was sprinting the whole time. fun! now to lift weights when my binge of chips settles.

body image: my mom was great with herself and me. I was naturally thin my whole life, then quit sports of all kinds my senior year in high school due to dealing with a car accident where an elderly couple pulled out in front of me, both of them dying whilst I watched, waiting for help to come. I gained about 10 lbs, a little chub. I became anorexic / bulemic, carried that for several years until a thin and beautiful (in my opinion) female boss was a runner, although she survived on pretzles & water through the day, and alcohol /rich food by night. Took up running, and many years later starting working on changing my eating habits and self image.

gotta run, ds3 wants time with me and there has been very little of that the last few days.
#305 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
geo - Maybe you're just in better shape than you think you are and can handle more/harder running.
and I'm thinking that a good way to catch your leg muscles up to your cardio capacity is lots of lunges and squats. Unweighted is fine. I always find my heart rate pops through the roof when I start into sets of those.

All this body image stuff is interesting and sad and a good reminder that it's a big deal in this society. I've managed to have a good body image pretty much regardless of whether I was within the "ideal" range or not (generally I've been a bit heavy always). I did do a significant amount of hiding under too-large clothes but in the past 15 years or so I've gotten a lot more comfortable wearing things that fit. I don't know if it was just a matter of living long enough in my body or seeing people bigger and bulgier than me apparently comfy in snugger gear and realizing that if I never think to judge them about it, probably other people aren't judging me.
I do hope that my dds can avoid it all, but dd1 borders on perfectionist and has already asked me if she's fat to which I roll my eyes in a big dramatic way at the thought and then assure her that she is perfect. But it sucks tat she's asking and I wonder where she's getting it from? Me and dh? School? Media? All of the above? Oy.

RR: Nothing yesterday, Alison was so sick. I think it may have been (still be) a touch of pneumonia. But she's on abx which seems to be the normal treatment and today she is definitely better so hopefully the worst is behind us. But now I'm feeling that throat thing and it's so out. I need a boot in the . I finally dug out my 1/2 training schedule and I'm actually still on track but there is no wiggle room left if I want to A) finish the race and B) be able to increase slowly but steadily to get the distance.
And is here. Is that enough excuses? I still need to get out the door!

RM - OMG! What a trauma! That's huge, you poor kid!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#306 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 04:09 PM

Lower body, core strength workout. I did half of the lower body workout + stretching, then ended up sacking the core workout early because of kid interruptions. It was good to work up a sweat, though!

poppywise, I think that's awesome!!

re: sports. Ummm.. no? I've never been athletic and sports was not something my family encouraged. I think if I had wanted to be in something, they would have been fine but it just wasn't "done" in my family. I remember my sister being in basketball for a couple of years, but that's about it. There was more than enough physical labor to be done around the farm, though.
#307 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 05:54 PM

rm~

plady~ Get out there, sister!

On sports...I was definitely encouraged in sports. My dad was an official for volleyball, basketball, and softball when I was growing up, so I had a love for sports instilled in me pretty early. Plus I grew up in a very small town, so what else are you going to do? The thing that was hard for me is that I am a very average athlete. I mean, I'm not bad, but I'm not great either. And I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to be in a class of girls that were amazing athletes. Seriously. I probably would have been a starter at most of the other schools in our conference, but I was a benchwarmer because we had so much talent. And the one sport that I really was pretty good at (softball), our team was horrible (all the athletic girls ran track instead...softball was the sport that people went out for just to get their varsity letter ), which just stunk for me. I think that's one reason I enjoy running and biking so much. Because it doesn't necessarily take talent (although it would be nice to be faster ), and you can do it with a minimum of coordination. AND, although it's definitely nice to do with friends, you can do it all by yourself just fine...you don't need a team and opponents, etc.

So...guess what? I RAN. And it was good. Ok, so it wasn't great, but I'll take it. Legs and cardio are totally feeling the effects of how little I've run in the past two weeks, but we still got 5 miles in right around 10 min pace, so not bad. It was a GORGEOUS day out, sunny, warm. Just a wonderful morning to get out and soak in the sun while getting some exercise and socializing!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#308 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM

Gaye - Your post makes me fell all warm and sunny

I went, thank you for the boot, I planned to do 4.5 but I was too lazy to double check the mileage on the route I planned so I just went. When I got back in 1:02 I was very relieved to map it out and see it was really 5.45 miles instead! When I heard the little beep at the hour on my watch I got super paranoid that somehow I've gotten even slower than ever! Whew

Sports - I never really got into team sports as a kid. I was super shy for one thing and then my family wasn't particularly athletic so it just wasn't on our radar much. In HS I did join the swim team though because I liked to swim. Quickly realized that swimming laps with lots of other people in the same lane in a basement pool at 5:00 am was not what I had in mind when I thought about fun swimming. Then, the opportunity cropped up to form a diving team and practice with UConn's divers. That's what I did and it was so much fun. I was never that great but I loved every minute of it. And I got my family's first varsity letter
I also did lots of skiing and although I never competed in any official way I always smoked my friends and it felt totally natural to me. Next winter I'm going to get my girls out on a mountain, last Friday when I went off-island with C we saw a bunch of families going off to ski for the day. They were fried at the end of the day on the ferry home but hey, they got to ski! I was so jealous.

I sure do love running though.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#309 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Warning. Rant ahead. You have been warned.

DH is overweight. Obese. Fat. Doesn't exercise a whit, has been gaining weight steadily since we have gotten married. I've tried really, really hard not to make it an issue in our marriage....but it is, in all kind of ways. He's on BP meds, reflux meds, cholesterol meds, sleeps with a cpap- all things that are caused by the weight. I've keep up his gym membership for 10 freakin years even though he never goes for more than a few days at a time. I buy healthy foods, he goes out and buys crap and shares it with the kids. I ask at least once a month if he wants to go to the gym or for a walk, he always has 105848 excuses. Every few months we have a discussion that ends with me in tears begging him to change something, since I don't want to be a widow and he's a heart attack waiting to happen.

And today, he gets his lab results from his physical. Let's just say they were NOT good, and all are direct results of either being obese, drinking, a shitty diet, or being on too many meds. I'm trying really hard not to lose my shit, but I've had it up to here with this. I love him, really I do, but I do not love this slowly killing himself behavior.

I know it needs to come from within, that I can't do it for him....but what the hell is it going to take to make him see that he deserves to be healthy, that his wife and kids deserve for him to be healthy?

RR: 2.5 miles in the local park. What in my mind were some hilly paths are actually much more "hike" than "run". My calf was on fire with cramping, but amazingly my shin and hip felt better than normal, probably because I was off road the entire time. I really wish I had a local option for trail running that was flatter, as it feels so much better than the sidewalk.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#310 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

memiles. That's a very hard thing. I know from dh's experience with his gastric bypass patients that the person has to really *want* it from within his or herself before that person can make a meaningful change. Because we all know, the food and self-defeating behaviors are the external trappings of the real issues...and addressing those can be so difficult to start. Watching someone you love do that has to be so, so, so, hard...

I have a problem that I need help with...ds (4 1/2) has a preschool classmate with whom he does not really get along. I'm not sure why...this other boy joined the class late, does not speak much English and is not mindful of personal space/social skills (i.e. spitting when eating, etc.), and is quite big for his age. I am not sure why they both took a disliking to each other, but they did. Until now it's been contained, but today my son told the other boy that "noone would come to [P's] birthday party because you are mean" and the other boy started crying...then the other kids started saying the same thing. My son was a bully! I am really upset. I suppose I should be happy he used words rather than giving the boy a whack, which he has been wont to do. The teachers and I had a talk with him about speaking nicely, respectfully, using kind words. I had him go over to [P] in circle time in front of the others and say he was sorry. When we got home, I had him draw the other boy a picture and we picked out a birthday gift for him (as he would be missing the party anyway, as it's on Saturday) from our stash and then wrapped it together.

But I'm heartsick, maybe I'm overreacting? My boy is generally very sweet and goodhearted. I'm sure he felt somehow provoked, but I know his threshold is very low when it comes to this boy. I wrote the teachers a note suggesting we maybe do a unit on 'kindness and friendship' with book read alouds, role playing, etc. Sigh.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#311 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 PM

<~~~just made her first acupuncture appointment ever.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#312 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 09:48 PM

Megan, I hear you. My dh is similarly overweight and also refuses to take any responsibility for his eating or get any exercise or cut back on drinking. He'll skip meals and then binge, he gets basically zero exercise, and drinks at the very high end of moderately. Plus, depression, which does affect his ability to make good decisions, but which also might improve if he took better care of himself.

I try really hard not to get into it with him, ever, because it's not my deal and nagging won't help. But it makes me sad, and frustrated.

Sports: do not grok. I'm not very coordinated, never did a sport in high school, and running is a whole 'nother world for me. I had to get over feeling anxious about how awkward I look and now I mostly just cruise along slowly and do my thing. I did pass a couple of guys on my 10m last weekend, and it was a real charge - almost never happens to me.

Forward motion: dang, none. I had a field trip to the local Buddhist temple so had to get going early, and did 5m of yoga in lieu of running. Plus I loaded the dishwasher. Tomorrow I'm planning a nice long run in the morning, on the hamster wheel.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#313 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 10:02 PM

Oh, Nic FWIW, I think you handled it really well

memiles s that has to be so hard... Lots of love and hugs your way, mama.

Gaye, loving that you got to run

Plady I get anxious about times so I purposely only know my sort of time and distance

Sports: always very involved - mostly track and field and during school competed at a very high level (though I was in England and we're a bit rubbish in sports ) I do not like competition, though, and avoided competing as much as possible. I also played netball ( popular in the UK), field hockey, etc. But sports aren't big in universities in the UK so I swtiched to long distance running. I wish I had rowed during my college years (I went to Cambridge which is a big rowing school). I am a pretty good athlete, though I am now quite slow at running and I sort of like how average I am as there is much less pressure on myself. That said I secretly hope I will one day speed up

Body image... be damned! I always feel good lifting, and this morning I returned to Group Power. I managed to get to my 5:30am class. They also offered another class I lie immediately afterward so I took advnatage and did a yoga class, too It felt really good.

Tomorrow I see a sport's chiropractor, which I am excited about. I may try and test out my leg in the morning.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#314 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
bec

Nic - I just wanted to give a I think you are handling the situation with grace and compassion.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#315 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Megan It's smoking in this house. I alternate between total capitulation and irritation, but I have given up being hopeful and there is a cold part of me that doesn't care anymore. If he doesn't give enough of a crap to do what his family deserves, I sure as heck can't do it for him. If I could, I would have 10 years ago. But I can't.

Nick...I could see my extremely gentle ds at some point getting fed up with someone's behavior and going off such. I could. One thing I do talk about with my two is pointing out how certain people with incredibly annoying behavior (and I have found we do develop lower thresholds once a person is on the list of annoying people) make progress. That is, yes, so-and-so whined a lot, but did you notice she didn't steal any toys this time? Just an example.

My dd is right now writing a letter to her daycare teacher. "Dear Miss B, I wish I could go to [name of center]. Love, M." I want to frame it and hang it on the wall for dh to see.

FM today was 35 minutes on the track (TMs were all occupied) followed by weights followed by 20 min on the bike. I need to get in earlier tomorrow. I'd like to do 5 on the TM.
#316 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 PM

Oh, and sports...none. I was good at football in elementary school (wide receiver), played a lot of volleyball until puberty. Then my weight issues kicked in full force. Definitely was not encouraged to participate anyway, since we were pretty far out of town on the farm. I participated in what I liked, which was theater and public speaking. Not sports. Makes me sad now, because I enjoy physical activity so much. But I am possibly the absolute least competitive person you might ever meet, so HS sports would not have been good for me.

Time to read...

Plady, we might be fighting the same cold. I got sudden onset sore throat and a little sinus pressure last night. Woke up with terrible sore throat, but it's a lot better now. Also have a cold sore (mine are invisible, but painful), so something is afoot.
#317 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM

Ugh, body image and sports. I was a figure skater which usually about says it. I've never been a stick either which made it harder since I was around so many thin girls and my mom has always been thin with kind of weird eating habits who somewhat encouraged my weird habits etc ... (like going on a juice diet for 2 days as a freshman in HS). But at the same time, my parents have always said I'm strong, active, athletic etc ... and my body is muscular not fat so they never commented negatively, we just didn't eat the healthiest either and it didn't help that my brother had trouble gaining weight. I'm still about 10lbs over my ideal weight and I still struggle with my body image all of the time but I'm working on it. I hope I'm over these issues before I have kids. I can't seem to lose weight easily but I'm just trying to focus on what my body does do and how strong it is.

Anyway ... ran 4 miles today. I'm swamped with work and I don't see it getting better anytime soon and yeah ... just struggling to keep my head above water. Thankfully I have running to help clear my head at the end of the day.
#318 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM

pre-dosed with vitamin I before the run - 5.5 done, plus just short of a mile with smaller kid. woot!
#319 of 1113 Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 PM

No FM for me today. I did walk 1 mile yesterday (break time at work). Not looking good for the rest of the week.

I did, on the other hand, spend the last of my giftcard at the BEST bookstore in North America - got 9 books. I am so excited!!!

On sports and body issues - I grew up with parents who were both college athletes. I was mediocre, although I really enjoyed playing. I have always been average build and had a mom with a healthy attitude about body. She ate (and fed us) a well balanced diet and loudly scorned all "fad diets". So, for all of you who are making the effort to change your children's view and habits, take heart! It can make a difference! The only really big issue I had was with insanely small breast size (significantly smaller than A-cup).

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#320 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 AM

memiles~Ugh. That's my dad, more or less. To the point that at 63, he's barely even mobile, has been hospitalized twice in the past year for what would be very minor things (or not have happened at all) for a person of normal weight. It sucks waiting for someone to be ready to make a change. Your DH is still young enough that hopefully he can come to that point (I've given up on my dad), and hopefully do so without needing a catastrophic event to make it happen.

nic~ That's tough, but it really sounds like you handled it well, and appropriately. I can only hope to do as well if I ever run into a similar situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Plady, we might be fighting the same cold. I got sudden onset sore throat and a little sinus pressure last night. Woke up with terrible sore throat, but it's a lot better now. Also have a cold sore (mine are invisible, but painful), so something is afoot.
Is it possible to transmit germs via the internet? Because that sounds an awful like my plague. Sorry guys...

I got DS in bed by 6 pm (He was tiiiired! Kept telling me on the way home from school how sleepy he was!) and spent an hour being productive. Amazing how much you can actually accomplish when you want to. Kitchen disaster, cleaned up. Dining room table mess, taken care of. Laundry, folded and put away. Sheets changed and mattress rotated, even. Go, me!

And now I get to settle in for a night of tv and get started cross-stitching. It's the only needlecraft of any kind that I do (b/c it doesn't involve skill or creativity, just the ability to follow directions ), and I've been on strike from it for nearly three years. I usually only do baby samplers. Like the large 11x14ish sized wall ones. And I got totally burned out by my three best friends and my sister, who produced 7 children in 4 years. I was so sick of cross-stitching by the time I finished the last one that I packed all the stuff up and put it away, but my sister is due with #2 at the beginning of May, and I just can't not do one for this baby. Besides, gotta do it now, while I still have time, right? Aching wrists and fingers, here I come...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#321 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 AM

Tea - check. Candle - check. Quiet - check. Ahh...

I got rid of the treadmill today. I also did about 15-20 minutes of a lower body workout before dinner - squats, lunges, situps, stretching. Yay! That made my afternoon. Tomorrow it's upper body.

RM ~

memiles ~ He has to want to make that change. Just be real with him and keep being a good role model.

nic ~ for you as well.

I attempted to get my SS package out today when DH went to go run errands, but we were cutting it too close to meet up with the Craigslist ppl for the TM. Tomorrow tomorrow! I'm sorry!!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#322 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 01:16 AM

New Shoes! New Shoes! Newwww Shoeeeees!

So, hey, I bought some shoes. I went to the neat-o shoe store yesterday, kicked off my shoes and walked around a bit for the guy who works there, and he brought out box after box of shoes to try to make my knees feel better. Saucony, Brooks, Mizuno, Asics.... in typical style, I fell in love with the first pair I tried on. Nikes, which is what I was previously wearing; I guess the style works for me.

New shoes have such potential! I could run my best time in these shoes. I could run a half-marathon! A full marathon! I could run anywhere in these shoes.

So, ran this morning and felt good. Had playgroups both this morning and this afternoon, which felt even better. Had a church discussion group this evening, which capped off the day. Tuesdays are my favorite.

Nic--I'm so sorry about your DS. I hate it when kids hurt my kids' feelings, but I hate it even more when I see them hurt other kids' feelings. It's good you're being so proactive about dealing with the situation.

Body image: I was always a kind of chubby kid, but nothing unusual. Then when I was in middle school, I saw my pediatrician and he commented on my weight. In the same week he saw my brother and commented on how short he was. So, in summary, doctor told an adolescent girl she was fat and an adolescent boy he would probably always be short.

That doctor's comments colored the way I saw myself. I ran cross-country and winter track and played tennis all through high school, and never liked my body. A little while ago my mom commented on how I lose weight when I run, and mentioned a picture of me looking "positively gaunt." I had no idea what she meant, so she pulled out a clipping from our local newspaper of me running a race. Wow, I was skinny. Why couldn't I see that at the time? And how can I make sure my kids recognize their own beauty?
#323 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 AM

Gaye, Jo and Plady - hopefully I didn't get you sick either I had that same sore throat/sinus thing last week!

memiles -

Nic -

Geo - I thought about you reading the OSU story. I can imagine it must feel really weird!

Did arms and abs tonite while watching Lost

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#324 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 AM

I just got sad news from my sister-in-law.

DH's sister has a best friend, a girl she's known since high school. When DH and I were first dating, DH's mom was dating and living with best friend's father. I've had some social interaction with best friend over the years, when my sister-in-law has parties.

SIL's best friend had three sons. Yesterday morning she went to wake them up for school and the middle one, who was eleven years old, was dead.

We only knew best friend a little bit and the boy not at all, but DH and I are simply heartsick at the very idea of a preteen dying in bed at night. I guess they don't know why yet; they are still doing tests. I don't think of my kids as being fragile until I hear something like this. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child. I need to go watch my kids sleep for awhile.
#325 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Oh my, La4. We are all fragile at a certain point, aren't we? How shocking and sad.

I am late with this week's ss package, too. Considering my kids beat me home again yesterday, it would have been foolish to try the post office. I'm working on it!

I'd like a day off work this week. If I can manage to leave the office a couple hours early today, I'm there. I feel like everything is dirty and I need some quiet time alone.
#326 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Oh La4, so sad.... This happened to friends of ours last year, not sure if anyone remembers. The rabbi and rebbetzin of our Chabad synagogue in NY lost their 9 year old boy this way...one Shabbos morning he just didn't wake up. You just never know.

On a cheerier note, enjoy the new shoes and all their possibilities!

I went out for an easy 3 this morning and although I'm a bit stiff, my back felt . I am so happy and relieved. I am going to do another 3 tomorrow morning and maybe Friday a bit more, still easy and slow. Saturday just a little run to keep my muscles remembering how. The race sent out a big email about packet pickup and in HUGE bold letters it reminds us that daylight savings time starts 1 am Sunday so to set our clocks and not miss the race! How much you wanna bet someone will do that?!

ETA: Anyone else thinking of that Seinfeld episode where he is supposed to wake up the elite marathoner for the NY Marathon? And they overslept?!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#327 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM
bec

La4 - I am heartsick thinking of that boy. For some reason, it just hit me pretty hard. Thinking of a healthy (seeming) 11 year old just...leaving. Nic, I do remember that happening last year. It was just as awful then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post

New shoes have such potential! I could run my best time in these shoes. I could run a half-marathon! A full marathon! I could run anywhere in these shoes.
I just love this! I'm totally going to steal it!

I have Zumba and hopefully hill repeats on the schedule today. I also need to get my pushups in. I'm doing the 100 pushup program, and have gotten a bit behind schedule!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#328 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Morning, Dingos!

Lalalala, how heart breaking!

Unfortunately, I can't funciton properly in life and also contemplate the possibilities of catastrophe. It has too much of an effect on me. So, I don't have TV anymore (news) or even read the news online regularly. It is just too much, in the past few years. I never used to be afflicted with anxiety, but now.. I just can't handle it.

I am stiff and sore from yesterday's leg workout, but my core seems pretty good. This morning, I am going to blast my arms! Then run tonight.

Last night, I had intentions to go for a bike ride but it didn't happen. Oh, well. Hopefully tomorrow night I will get out there.
#329 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Oh Lala, how incredibly sad . I can't even imagine that kind of loss.

I STILL don't feel great. My stomach is a bit queasy, food isn't appealing, and I've got seriously low energy (no I'm not pregnant...) I guess Kirsten and I will spend the morning at home, rather than dragging our still-germy selves to the YMCA. It's killing me because it's supposed to heat up to the mid-60s this afternoon, my calf/knee feels great, and I would LOVE to run. Sigh.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#330 of 1113 Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM

La4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Unfortunately, I can't funciton properly in life and also contemplate the possibilities of catastrophe. It has too much of an effect on me. So, I don't have TV anymore (news) or even read the news online regularly. It is just too much, in the past few years. I never used to be afflicted with anxiety, but now.. I just can't handle it.
Yeah. That.

Turns out one of the guys shot yesterday (the one that survived) has done quite a bit of the ventilation work in my lab.

$hitty paper review yesterday. Major breakdown last night. Feeling woefully behind in all things at work, and those things that I do are woefully behind the times. If I have any doubts on that, I've got reviews to refer to.

So I'm turning on Leechblock now. Back tonight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page