Running the O'Dingo Way -- Dingos Run Into March like Lionesses! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and and for everyone who needs it!

Nic- I'm sorry. It is often I just wish people would be nicer, in regards to many situations.

Jen- I hope you'll update us about the lump. Good vibes!

Today I am going to run, shooting for 10:1, 3 times (in addition to running with DD)

Any motivating tips or advice about getting up early? I used to love going running at dawn, but since I've had issues with depression I just can't shake my morning laziness. I'm feeling good emotionally now, but it is still so hard to get up! I'd love some encouragement!

I am hoping to do my training in the mornings, then run with DD in the evenings. As it is, I get frustrated running with her and I really don't want that. So.. I think if I am not worried about my training, then it will be easier.
#422 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
bec

I was reading in RW this month about trying to get enough sleep on race day. The runner would start a week or so before the race and go to bed 20 minutes early. She would keep bumping this time up until she was at the point of when she wanted to be asleep the night before race day.

I guess I'm saying you should try going to bed a bit earlier, if you want to be up and out the door earlier! It's advice I should really start following my own self!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#423 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 AM

DrJen ~ praying the u/s shows nothing serious on Saturday.

RM ~ praying you can figure out what is going on with DSD and the cold meds.

Nemesis ~ how early do you want to get up? When I used to do that, I'd set up everything the night before (clothes, food, coffeemaker, etc.) and just knowing that it was all there in the kitchen, just waiting for me to haul myself out of bed, was enough to make me get up.

I finally feel good! I did my dynamic stretching and core routine this morning (class is done, but I am trying to do it 3x a week at home). I really feel like the core work is helping.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#424 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Body image is so hard for me. I am tall and gangly. The only person I know that looks how I feel is my teenage son but he is taller and leaner than me and truly gangly. Other people have even mentioned that they wonder how long it will take for him to feel and look in control of his limbs. We add more orthodontia next week. Poor him. I know my legs are too short for my height but his neck is way too long for his. I hate running when I can see my shadow. I have learned that only my mom will play the game of people watching and asking each other, "Is that what I look like?"

Who mentioned February was hard but that the catharsis of March and spring wasn't turning out to be so easy? I am right there with you.

Nemesis, I workout first thing before I get people up in the morning. It is the only time I can be sure of for me. It gets easier especially if you get to bed on time. I really enjoy the time but found I cannot workout instead of sleeping. Set everything up the night before, leave no decision for morning and don't think about it just do it. It helps me focus better all day if I am not always looking for a window of opportunity for a run.

Dh health - dh quit smoking the day dd3 was born in 2005. He didn't even tell me when he did it. He didn't smoke around me or the kids so it wasn't something I noticed right away. The smell must not have instantly left his body. He gained some weight and I do notice the lack of stimulant in him or maybe it is age and the result of living with me and 5 children. He did it for me, not him. He wants to smoke, he says he is a non-practicing smoker, but he doesn't smoke. In any event I do feel better knowing he stopped but I wish his brain was happier without the nicotine.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#425 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Another morning tip

If I am going to set the alarm and risk waking little people I need to get out the door fast before I have to deal with the mess I have made - no way I am risking that snooze button!

#426 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 AM

OK.. I know and agree with all of the suggestions! Thanks for reminding me!

What I really need is a new alarm clock. DH sets his to "nearly silent music" and expects that to wake us all up.

I have an alarm that I love (and is super old) but it ticks and drives DH nuts. So.. If I can find an alarm clock that doesn't tick then I'll be good.
I already have a coffee pot with a timer and I will make sure to leave my clothes out the night before. I am not worried about waking my kids now, but it was an issue when I used to get up early. I am glad we are past that now, I remember it being really frustrating for me!
#427 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 AM

mammajb- I am one of those smokers, too. I quit 4 years ago and if there was ever a way that it wasn't bad for you I would pick it up again in a heartbeat! I wish I didn't feel that way, and I don't smoke at all... but it was so much a part of who I am. Such an ingrained habit/addiction! Mental, emotional, etc.. The physical addiction is just one part that is hard to beat.

Seriously, if I live to be 65 I would probably pick it up again. I miss it frequently.
#428 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Another morning tip

If I am going to set the alarm and risk waking little people I need to get out the door fast before I have to deal with the mess I have made - no way I am risking that snooze button!
TOTALLY. Mommajb is sooooo incredibly smart. And we have a bathroom in the basement. I've been known to use that bathroom and then hide down in the basement for an all-clear sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I don't mind at all, Jo, one of his favorite kippahs is a "Bukharian" style, looks like this but he says it gets hot. I'd love the cap style/or bigger crocheted/Turkish ones. I don't crochet so getting one that will fit his head is a challenge!
Learning to crochet shouldn't be too hard. I would teach you, if I were closer. But I think you could go to any yarn store and find a class.

I missed all the activity yesterday but I am so sorry you have to deal with this b.s. Aimed at the jerk who had an issue: Whatever people: get over it. It's called diversity. But I know it's really threatening when someone is doing something/thinking something other than you are.

Gah. Very busy week. But not enough FM to report. I could use a long run today. Although it is raining (unusual for March here).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#429 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Body image is so hard for me. I am tall and gangly. I hate running when I can see my shadow. I have learned that only my mom will play the game of people watching and asking each other, "Is that what I look like?"
OMG, are you my long lost twin? I always obsess over whether or not the chicken legs in my shadow are gaining any shape from all the running. They're not.

drjen -

nic -

nemesis - do you have a cell phone? Even my cheap (read: free) phone has an alarm clock.

I took yesterday off running because my legs were so, so tired, so now I'm trying to psych myself up to get out for the recovery run I skipped. I just feel so wiped out. I forgot how tiring marathon training is.
#430 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Penelope--ITA re: the patriarchy!

Now announcing the newest Dinglet:

Julia Grace
3/11/2010 at 10:22 am
4 lbs 15 oz
17-1/4"

The short story:
*water broke at 3:30 am Wednesday
*headed to hospital b/c we were still a few days shy of full-term (36w4d)
*walked the halls for 3-4 hours
*also did 2 30-min periods of nipple stim while on the monitors
*then did 16 hours of low-dose pit, with strong contrax every 2-5 min all night
*had cervix ck ~7:30 am on Thurs but despite above, cervix was closed up tight.
*options: try cervadil to ripen my cervix or repeat c-sec.
*decided repeat c-sec, in part b/c while J looked good and I didn't have a fever, I'd been ruptured for 28 hrs already, and didn't really want to increase infection risk by waiting 8-12 hours for cervadil to work and then still have hours of labor to go beyond that
*had repeat c-sec around 10 am (and got a bonus tubal since we were in there!)

She's looked great and been with me ever since. They were great about showing her to me right after she came out and then brought her over so I could sort of hold her for a minute. It was really cold in the OR, so they took her back to our room, and I joined her as soon as they finished stitching me up. We started nursing right away and she's doing quite well.

I love rooming in with my baby! (Couldn't last time because R was in the NICU the whole time.) Also, I feel great. Recovery is much easier this time around. I threw up a few times from something they put in the spinal (once while on the table just as they pulled her out which was miserable), but that drug wore off 12 hours later and I feel great. Almost running great.

Here's a pic:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/...6a6764ba73.jpg

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#431 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 02:36 PM

YAY! I was just seeing your name and thinking to myself,"She's having a baby like any day." then i realized, holy cow you've already HAD the baby,.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#432 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 02:52 PM

REAL!! She's GORGEOUS!!

congrats mama! you weathered some serious pregnancy issues and I am so glad everyone is happy and healthy!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#433 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM

beautiful!

#434 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Lisa - She's so beautiful! And I love her name! Congrats! I'm glad you are already feeling better and wish you the best baby moon ever!
#435 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

CONGRATULATIONS LISA!!! Welcome Baby Julia! Now you can have some !

DrJ I hope everything comes back free and clear.

THANK YOU Secret Sprinter! I love the goodies, am psyched I didn't buy body glide the other day and you sent it just when I need it! And thank you for the Dingo Solidarity!!!

Oh, it's so fun to get these packages. Which reminds me, I need to get one into the mail...

Now I forgot what I wanted to say...back later.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#436 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Lisa! I'm so glad to hear that all went well and you are feeling better so quickly!

She is absolutely beautiful! Look at that calm and peaceful face.

Congratulations and enjoy getting to know your baby!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#437 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 04:34 PM

Lisa! You made it! Congratulations, welcome beautiful girl, and recover well, mama! Hooray! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy...
#438 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 04:37 PM

CONGRATS MAMA!!
Welcome Julia Grace - the newest Dinglet. She is so beautiful!!!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#439 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 05:01 PM

Congratulations Lisa!!!! She's just gorgeous .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#440 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 PM
bec

Congrats Lisa!!!! Welcome, Julia! She's beautiful!

#441 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 05:14 PM

Congratulations Lisa!!!! What a gorgeous girl with a gorgeous name.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#442 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Yay Lisa! Congratulations! DD would have been a Grace except for the double 's' sound with her last name.

:
#443 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Nickarolaberry. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that, it's not right at all.

DrJen, sending good vibes for your appointment tomorrow.

Congratulations Realrellim! Gorgeous girl and gorgeous name!

Thank you, SS!
#444 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 07:55 PM

Congrats, Realrellim!!
#445 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Quick vent: The new marketing person from the large group that just bought our practice sent an email requesting some info about our directory. It referred to the three of us (myself and my partners) as Jennifer, Dr. W, and Dr. R. I about had a fit, but my nurse about had more of a fit. She faxed it back with "Please clarify, do you mean Dr. T" with the Dr. underlined. Look, I am not a pretentious person, and I frequently introduce myself with my first name, but in a professional setting, I darn well deserve the same consideration as my male partners! Grrr.
#446 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Jen I missed your post above. and good vibes. Holding you in prayer. And yeah, I'd be pissed about that, too, re: the names. It's one thing to decide, yourself, that you wish to be addressed more informally than you might be. (I do that all the time!) But such another to be shown such disrespect. Grr.

Lisa, OMG, what a little cutie! I'm glad you have her with you and you sound like you had a good, non-scary C-section. Way to go, birth goddess!

Any guesses as to how many *minutes* elapsed between the end of my final exams today (two sections of the same course, one right after the other) and my first email from a student wanting to know his grade? 70 exams, people....

.... and that would be 95 minutes. Dude, I was still in my office working on unrelated stuff when you emailed. Have. not. finished. grading. Kthanxby.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#447 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 PM

nic - it is a bit belated, but that kind of stuff makes me lose faith in humans. then i come to this thread and get restored again

drjen - damn straight - regardless of gender, you EARNED that title and are the hardest working MD around. i would have reacted exactly the same - it's disrespectful and i'm glad your nurse had your back.

ok then....

shin splints.

what now? ok i like this doc because he told me to go ahead with the half, just run through it, i won't do any permanent damage if i do, etc etc. all music to my ears.

but i am curious to hear what any of you who have had them have done - just more RICE?

thanks!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#448 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 PM

poppy, I think the worst thing I did for my shin splints was to not take enough time off. Other than that, the BEST things I found were:
Daily walking
Running barefoot/minimalist shoes
Not crossing my legs when sitting (I thought I imagined it, but it has made a huge difference!)

I think ice, ibuprofen, etc.. will help you recover faster, but I struggled with them for two years and was not able to advance past running about 5 minutes straight without pain. Now, if I start to have a twinge I make sure I take a walk day and am sitting properly, and not upping my mileage too much.

Good luck!
#449 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 PM
bec

DRJen - I am incensed for you!!! That is so seriously unacceptable!!! I hope the marketing person comes to you, tail between their legs. Good for your nurse!

#450 of 1113 Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM

Lisa! I am so happy for you.. and she is simply beautiful. I have a niece named Grace

Geo, I meant to comment when I read your post a couple of days ago about the paper. Gah. gah.. why are reviewers so often unnecessarily mean spirited? But nice running, speedy

DrJen. Mercy. I would be so cross. I have had that happen many times to me. Perhaps the worst is when my students refer to me as Ms. Good luck with the U/S, I'll be thinking about you.

mommajb, I hate my shadow.. all i can see is a bossom

Nemesis, I am probably an early morning person but it is sometimes difficult to get out. For me it helps to visualize what I plan to do the next morning. If I am ambivalent about it the night before then it is less likely to happen.

poppy.. I guess I would worry about stress fractures, though I don't know how real that fear would be? I am in a similar position as you, though, with a hip flexor issue. So disappointing.

Oh, Nic.. also reading between the lines but yuck, yuck... 2

I've rowed a couple of times this week and this morning I tested out my leg. Dang, it hurts. Not as much, but it hurts. I saw a really great sport's chiropractor on Wed. He is a bare foot running fan, and is very knowledgable. It looks as though I have some hip flexor stuff going on related to some back muscles. I felt great when I left but I could feel it all tighten up the next morning. I ran 6 miles this morning and I felt so heavy and slow and winded. Could I lose fitness this quickly? I'm meant to be running 17 tomorrow but it's doubtful. the Dr suggested I cut bacl the mileage and may be do 13 or so.

In parental news... things are going well. Since I asked my mum to be a little more empathic I see that she is making some effort and I am very grateful for that.

I'm hopelessly behind at work... but thankfully we have spring break this week.

Any exciting weekend plans, dingoes?

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page