Running the O'Dingo Way -- Dingos Run Into March like Lionesses! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
I'll just go ahead and edit that for you. It should read: "Geo, I'm actually working on a fiction piece... When I finish it I'll share it with my Dingoes!"
Um, you're hired. Be my motivational speaker. Oh, wait. You just walked into a job...congratulations! I hope it's really, really awesome and just the challenge you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Jo, this just in: Saw in WomensHealth magazine (why I'm getting this I have no idea...it just appeared one day)...

There's a green detergent meant to get rid of stink in technical fabrics, called Win Green. www.sweatlifter.com Free of phosphates, biodegradable, from natural and renewable sources.

Just so the new ladies know, I am not inherently more smelly. I just have some stinky shirts I am trying to get clean.

It. Is. So. Cold. But forecast says sun and near 50 tomorrow, so there will be FM.
#482 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 PM

Ultrasound appears benign - there are actually 2 lesions, a cyst and what looks like a degenerating fibroadenoma (a benign mass.). I just have the tech's opinion so far, and the radiologist may still want a mammogram, but overall it's reassuring. Whew.
#483 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 07:53 PM

drjen~HOORAY! Big sigh of relief.

memiles~Way cool!

eaglevoice~Welcome! I'm a triathlete, too. I did my first half-ironman last fall and am signed up for another this summer. Good for you for jumping right in with an oly! It took me a year to work up the guts to try one.

poppy~Huh. Interesting. If that's where the pain is at now, then it's very possible...perhaps the calf problem altered your gait and caused the shin splint pain. I would try an ice cup, so you can get some massage action in while you're icing. Oh, and I don't knit. Or crochet. Just cross-stitch, which is definitely not conducive to doing at an athletic event. It's probably not very professional anyway, not that I really care that much.

its_our_family~I agree with bec, I think anyone can run. And it doesn't have to be fast. Heck, my walking speed might be someone else's running speed, and vice versa. It's all a matter of perspective. I actually went the opposite way from you...started running as a response to the breakup of my marriage, and the stress relief it provides is HUGE for me. Any kind of race is intimidating, especially the first time you do a distance. You've got TONS of time to train and prepare for a t-day 10k. You can do it!!!

I survived the track meet, and guess what? For all my complaining and dreading, it wasn't bad at all. The weather was absolutely gorgeous. Sunny and 60. Could not have ordered a better day to be sitting outside. I didn't really have to work very hard, the people were all very nice, and they even fed me (always a bonus, the athletic trainers are usually the last ones people think about at these all day events). Another bonus, one of the teams there had a super hot coach. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of a good way to strike up a conversation with him (he was never really BY me, we just walked by each other several times), but he smiled at me a couple of times. I highly doubt I'll ever see him again, but at least it was some eye candy.

So, I worked almost 20 hours this week. Not bad, huh? That should go a good ways towards paying the taxes that I'm going to owe. And now, I get to relax for the rest of the day. DS is at XH's till tomorrow afternoon, hockey game (on the internet) tonight, and long run tomorrow morning. When, of course, it is supposed to be raining/snowing, after it was sunny and 60 today.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#484 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 08:08 PM

to the ladies, you'll love it here, or at least I do.

drjen, I am so relieved that your news is 'overall reassuring' and that it stays that way.

memiles, Congrats! It is so exciting to really feel like things are ahappenin'.

I had an awesome run this morning. There was one giant downhill that skewed my time a bit. I hate downhills. The last time I did this one was a 20 mile run and I felt horrid at the end. I kicked it back today. 9 miles, 1:13 My foot didn't even bother me until 8.72 miles. I ran with a group and I was expected to take the lead with two other gals. I think the pressure made me . In the end the three of us were a block apart with me coming in 3rd. Then at the coffee shop where we finished they started talking about this old woman who is, "like 40 or 50" so I kept my mouth shut and didn't reveal my age. I ordered a milk and a black coffee. She charged me $2.00 for the coffee and $.50 for a large glass of milk which struck me as odd so I am reporting it here.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#485 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 08:09 PM

I am serial posting to ask Lisa for more pictures... maybe I should go check facebook? It is taking me all day to make my internet rounds.

#486 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am officially very nervous and even more cranky.

My legs feel achey, I am wandering around the house trying to figure out what to put in my Spibelt for tomorrow (phone -- takes photos, no phone; 2 gus, 1 gu; handiwipe, no handiwipe (last time I squirted gu all over myself so the handiwipe would have been most welcome). I can't find the pins they gave me for my number and I cut myself opening the stupid packaging on the body lube (who makes those dumb clamshell plastic things anyway? they should be forced to open 2,000 in a row just for punishment).

I am acting like a big brat.

So dh decides it's a good time to tell the kids, let's go out for ice cream and to the beach to watch the sunset. I said, great, see you later. He looked at me like I lost a head.

I want to be by myself so that's fine. Of course, I'll be p-o'ed later on because there will be sand all over my van and then sand all over my house, because dh just never brushes the kids off.

Did I mention I am acting like a big cranky fussbudget?!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#487 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 PM

Take a deep breath, picture tomorrow going very, very smoothly, and smile.

Take the phone, 1 gu unless you plan to have one right before the race, handiwipe f you want, and can't you attach your bib to your belt?

The sand will clean up and come back.

Maybe you need an oreo. Are oreos kosher?

#488 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.
Yes, Oreos are kosher but I opted for a large bowl of Breyer's vanilla ice cream with hershey's chocolate syrup.

ETA: you're right about the belt and the bib thing, I have those clippies somewhere...

Sorry I'm such a case.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#489 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 PM

So who did I just friend on FB? : I thought I had most people straight...
#490 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

If initials are LH, it's OceansEve.

#491 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 08:58 PM

A quick check in to say hello, and also to new dingoes

Nic, you're going to fly, fly, fly tomorrow.. My half is in two weeks and I'm already nervous! 2

DrJen, so glad the news looks good.

Plady, you poor thing. Hope all is much better tomorrow...

It made me so happy to read about your run, mommajb

I am about to head to bed. DS has been sick with a little tummy bug this past couple of days and now I have it. Eek. Hope it works its way out of our systems very soon.

I did run 13.1 miles this morning. I felt as though I was going quite fast and yet it was my slowest long run to date (2 hrs 3 mins). I did stop to stretch out my hip flexor quite a bit so maybe that didn't help. My legs felt alright, though not great... 2 weeks to my half. I wonder if I will get a sub 2hour run.

Okay, off to be sick and then to bed...

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#492 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
If initials are LH, it's OceansEve.
Silly me, I had her located near an ocean....

OE! Glad to be official friends...

Off to my run in a bit. I think. Vague responses from the group.
#493 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 PM

GO, Nic, GO!!!!

You're gonna rock your race! (phone or not, 1 gu or 2 )

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#494 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Jen, awesome news.

Nic, have a great race! I'm excited for you.

RR: a super nice 5m. Nice to be out, I ran a little hard, felt good.

Earlier in the week my babysitter tried to set me up with a mom from ds's class for running, but the other mom was lukewarm. I can totally see why - I'm a little slower than she is, she already has a running partner, I don't actually know her, etc. I didn't take it personally, but I would like it if the universe would set me up with a running partner. Maybe I need to take some initiative.

Dh went to pick up dd an hour ago and I finally and he's chatting with her friend's mom. I'm working on a PP for a talk I'm giving tomorrow - workshopped it w. my colleague and I think it'll be pretty good when I'm finished.

So basically mellow here. Nice to catch up on all the dingo news!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#495 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 PM

Wow, I've fallen behind!

This weekend is turning out crazy, but nothing big. Just a lot of little unexpected things, and I'm not feeling well. I started my period yesterday, so I am tired and cannot warm up.. all day my hips ached, too. Just blah.

Run tomorrow, though! All alone, as DD is with her bio-Dad for the day. Then I am hoping to start getting up early for runs on Monday. I still don't have a clock, but hopefully will find one tomorrow.

We went to the humane society today, just kind of looking.. we've been looking for a smaller dog, hopefully one big enough for short runs (mostly for DD ) but not too big to keep in our small place. DD2 is very shy of animals and is just now used to cats, so we were not planning on finding anything today, just looking and thinking.
Well... DD2 and a very small, very lovable chihuahua hit it off. It is crazy, like they were made for each other. The dog wasn't even available when we got there, she had just been dropped off and was behind the front desk. It was love at first sight! We drove out to get a cup of coffee and talk it over (I was really set on a bigger dog, and wanted to let it go before we made any decisions) and decided that we NEED this dog for DD. Also, DD1 has always wanted a chihuahua! So, our landlords weren't available today, but Monday we should have everything ready to go to go pick up our little puppy!

How crazy.. I'm not a small dog person, but there is an undeniable connection there. I'm glad we are getting her. Her name is Sassy, but DD2 thinks she should be Princess.

As an aside, there was a lovely rottweiler there that I wish I could take home. Just lovely, gentle, and so happy to meet me. I miss my running buddy so much, and I can't wait until we have room for another big dog!
#496 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 PM

Good luck, Nic! It'll be great!
#497 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 11:09 PM

Ohhhhh, a Toad in the hole. In our house those are birdnests. So good!

real - congratulations on your new little bundle of cuteness!

eaglevoice - welcome!

nic - I my Diva, though I never tried the Keeper. FWIW, I don't need any sort of backup pad with it as I have absolutely no leakage issues. Good luck tomorrow, you're going to do great!

plady - congrats on the job, how exciting!

drjen - I was thinking about you today. I'm so relieved.

mommajb - you hate downhills??!! And, hey, at least it seems like those two young whippersnappers must not have thought that you were anywhere near as old as that ancient 40 y.o. I'd take it as a compliment.

jaygee -speed stacking looks cool! How did your DS get into it? I'm imagining him stacking everything he touches...his and his sisters' bikes, rice on his dinner plate, shampoo bottles in the shower...

rr: 4.5 super easy. My legs were SO unbelievably tired all week, but I think they're finally starting to feel a bit better.
#498 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Get some sleep, Nic, and don't forget to set the clocks forward. FORWARD.

drjen, here's to reassuring. And also good further news in the near future.

I bought sudafed. So now, I can breathe, but my head is crawling, I have goosebumps, I can't stand noise and I don't think I can sleep. But I can breathe, and that feels OK.

I wish someone would take my kids tomorrow between 1PM and 3PM. Universe? Up for that?

Speaking of, Penelope, I am on the other end of the RP issue. I, as a slow runner, am apparently a very accessible type. I have 3 "regular" RPs and have been asked by several (3? 4?) others to run together. I have sort of intense life I have to pretty proactively manage these days, so when I get to run with any RP, it's a and I couldn't imagine trying to work through the logistics of running with more RPs. But yours is around you somewhere. Keep your eyes open, because you never know. 2 of my 3 are obvious matches, but my 3rd is rather out of left field. Religiously, politically we are oil and water...or fire and gasoline, maybe...but health and wellbeing we square on, and our legs are the exact same length so our cadence is total lockstep.
#499 of 1113 Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 PM
bec

Go, Nic, GO!!! You're going to do great!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#500 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 AM

Holy cow, I'm gone for a day and I miss all the excitement!

Realrellim--Congratulations on your new sweetheart! How very exciting. I wish you all the best as you get to know each other.

memiles--Congratulations to you, too, on catching a baby! It will be one of many, I'm sure.

Nic--Good luck tomorrow; I'm sure you'll be great.

DoctorJen--I'm glad the test results look good so far. Even when you know absolutely for sure that there's nothing to worry about, it's still nice to hear someone else confirm that.

Zub--I hope you're feeling better. It's so hard to be sick, especially with a stomach thing, when you have a little one who needs you.

JayGee--Watching speed stacking makes me nervous. I'm glad your DS is doing so well in the tournament; that must be so exciting for him!

Welcome to the new dingos!

No running this weekend for me. It's my grandmother's birthday tomorrow so we're visiting her and my parents for the weekend. My kids love staying with my parents, and DH and I like it because we can have a date while we're here. We have no babysitter at home, so dates are few and far between. Tonight we went out for a lovely dinner and then saw Alice in Wonderland, which we really enjoyed.

On Monday I'll start running again. Promise.
#501 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 AM

wiped out after a fabulously productive day. the pamperered chef/goat thing was way long. i think that the whole animal murder thing out here has to with perceived injustices and old resentments. people get even with their guns. there is a sherriff but really, these things are dealt with without the law. i keep my mouth shut most of the time, which from my posts, you can probably guess is quite a lot of work.

Run tomorrow. I so need it. It will be a beautiful day and I my x-sil and niece & nephew are coming for spring break. we have lots of work and hikes planned.

Dr Jen, Yay!

Nic, You're going to Rock that Race!!!

Zub and Plady, be well

Nemesis, I'm a big dog girl myself but my kids are just pining for a chihuahua. We heard they eat snakes and so now they just beg. They would be in heaven. Sounds like you're dd is in love. Hope it works out with the landlord.

mommajb, you know so many wise words. i feel lucky and inspired just to read them. and yes, i agree that the 40-50 yo old woman comment is actually a testament to how young you must look.

ok, that's it, i'm pooped and not looking forward to losing an hour. i need to spend a few minutes with a chicken coop book. G'night ladies.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#502 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 09:11 AM

Did everyone remember to spring forward this morning?!

DS did GREAT at the tournament yesterday and brought home first place in his agegroup for all 3 individual events and a second place in the team event. He got into it when he was 5 and my sister gave him a set of stacking cups for Christmas. He goes in waves with it, where he'll do NOTHING but stack for a few months, and then put them away and be really into something else for a few months, but he always seems to come back to it. It's quite amazing to watch actually. He's actually on YouTube here from two summers ago.

DrJen ~ so glad your lump looks benign. Big sighs of relief...

Nic!!!! Have a great race!

Penelope ~ DH just put in for a job in Omaha. Maybe I will be your new RP!

mommajb ~ gee, 40 or 50 and still running. Imagine (this from the Mama who is turning 42 next month... )

My leg is a little achy from yesterday's run, but not too bad. I don't think the rain helps it much. No FM planned for today, but I might try and jump on the trainer for a little if I can grab the chance.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#503 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Run like the wind Nic!

Jaygee, that speed stacking has to be exciting in person. Isn't odd the things people do for entertainment? Running long distances, stacking things...

Alex, I hope the whole family is well soon? Where are your parents during all this?

Lisa, as we didn't stalk your labor I am stalking for more baby photos.

ETA there is an article in the new running times that basically says shin splints is not a diagnosis, it is a description of where the pain is. The pain is your body telling you something, listen to it. It's not earth shattering but its what I have.

#504 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 AM

I watched all your kids sport stacking -- the lightening one links to three others. You kids are so stinkin' cute.
#505 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I watched all your kids sport stacking -- the lightening one links to three others. You kids are so stinkin' cute.
"I can't believe I'm going to be on youtube."

#506 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 AM

Just back from my second official run of the year. Why does it hurt in all kinds of strange places to just run 2 miles? Urgh. Hopefully it's just a shake-down kind of thing and not some kind of strange age related problem. I want to be physically 22 again, KWIM?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#507 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM

Go Nickarolaberry!

We had a party to go to at the mosque last night. It was nice, and I got to hear a lot of what I really needed--feedback on my workouts. By people's reactions, I'd say the upper body work is making a good difference.

Uphills give me shinsplints. All that toe-lifting.

JayGee, that really is cool. The thought of my ds attempting such an activity makes me laugh. Really, just to think about it.
#508 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
ETA there is an article in the new running times that basically says shin splints is not a diagnosis, it is a description of where the pain is. The pain is your body telling you something, listen to it. It's not earth shattering but its what I have.
Thanks for sharing that. That is how the Dr explained it to me as well. He said it is a very generic, loose term that means something has happened in there but it could be any number of things: ligament pulled away from bone (I might be not remembering exactly), small muscle tear, etc.

I did go into great detail about where the pain started (in my calf) and I told him I was there for a calf strain, but he put his hands on my legs and said 'shin splints' pretty quickly, which was a surprise. He told me it would best to switch to a non-impact activity but he did not want to tell me I could not run the half, which is really what I wanted to hear anyway. I am glad it is something that I can deal with for the next few weeks, and then hopefully time off the pavement will do some good. i agree that listening to our bodies is the best thing we can do! I'm just tuning mine out temporarily and hoping I don't do too much more damage....

oy the time change.

we invited people over for brunch and i have to get up now (which feels like the middle of the night) to finish cleaning the house.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#509 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 11:03 AM
bec

Speed stacking is really cool! Kristina, your kids are absolutely adorable! I think my Emily and Abby would love that.

DrJen - I am so glad you got the EXPECTED good news, even if it is preliminary.

I have a Keeper. I don't use it. I have never been able to get the hang of it. I tried for months and months, and it would slip, leak, or feel like it was about to fall out! Not a chance could I ever even dream of running in it.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#510 of 1113 Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I have a Keeper. I don't use it. I have never been able to get the hang of it. I tried for months and months, and it would slip, leak, or feel like it was about to fall out! Not a chance could I ever even dream of running in it.
I have a Diva and have never gotten the hang of it either .

Thanks for all the sweet comments about my kids .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page