Running the O'Dingo Way -- Dingos Run Into March like Lionesses! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bec~Are you talking slick tires for a mountain bike? Or a replacement road tire? When I got the slicks for my mountain bike, it was around $90, I think.

maplesugar~ Welcome!

poppy~Keep me in the loop, although it's *highly* doubtful I would be able to make it work. But you never know...if I don't get into school, maybe it's a last hurrah before I rejoin the world of the working.

Feeling slightly better (down to congested and sinus headache now), so I think we're going to attempt the Y. It's so nice out that I really should go outside, but if it's a miserable failure, I don't want to be stuck a mile from home, ya know?

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM

bec, I thin klast year was the spring I complained about the money on bikes and tune-ups. We don't even use ours athletically, they are simply for around town!

for Nora and family. It is not easy being sick away from home and family. It can be so tough just figuring out who you can call and then her family is worried from so far away. My heart truly goes out to them.

I need to make good use of Linus's nap before the big girls get home from school. I may find a rhythm yet as a mom of school kids.

kerc, I am so excited for you! That race pulls at me and a lot of other people too!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
poppy~Keep me in the loop, although it's *highly* doubtful I would be able to make it work. But you never know...if I don't get into school, maybe it's a last hurrah before I rejoin the world of the working.

(not that i wouldn't want you to get into school, but y'know...it would be SO great if you could join us!)

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 03-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post

(not that i wouldn't want you to get into school, but y'know...it would be SO great if you could join us!)
As I said on FB, this is a race for the ages! You'd be telling your grand-kids about it!!! You know Team Dingo is gonna be somethin'!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 PM
bec

Gaye - That's exactly what I was thinking. I have a hybrid bike, not a mountain bike, but I thought smooth tires would be a little better than the ones I currently have. I guess I'll have to save my pennies or something.

I would sure love to do a Dingo relay, but also no it is SO not in the cards. I still think we should all take over that indoor marathon!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM

Plady--I'm so sorry about your friend's daughter. I can't imagine how scary that would be, to have something like that happen to your child. I'm thinking of her and her parents.

maplesugar--Nice of you to join us!

I'm feeling emotionally crappy right now. This morning was DS's four-year doctor's visit. I really love the kids' pediatrician; she is generally wonderful and tells me what a good job I'm doing and all that. I'd brought her information about the offshoot of sensory processing disorder that I think DS might be struggling with. I feel like the doctor just blew me off. She asked what I'd been noticing, and I pointed out DS's pinching and running into things and falling on the ground. She seemed to think it was a boy thing, or maybe something that just needed more discipline. I left feeling like she thought I was overreacting and being silly.

On the way home I dropped off a huge stack of library books in the drop box at the library so I wouldn't have to find a parking space and unload DS. When I got home I got a huffy phone call from the library, saying one of the books I'd returned was soaking wet. I was incredibly apologetic and immediately asked what I could do--pay for the book, replace it? And she didn't sound so nasty after my reaction, but now I look like the kind of jerk who tries to sneak a ruined book into the drop box instead of facing up to it in person. I really didn't know; my car lets in a lot of moisture and I guess it's not a good idea to leave books in there for several days when it's been raining.

So at the moment I feel beaten down and embarrassed twice today. I need to get over myself.

At least I ran this morning. Sigh.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 PM

La4,

Welcome, maplesugar! Be careful, this place is addictive. Next thing you know, you'll be plotting to meet up with 11 other dingos for a 185 mile race. Cause that's what we do for fun!

I just had a run that made me remember that I actually love running. Only 4 miles, slower than dirt, still a bit weird on my right leg, but DAMN it felt good. After reading Born to Run in practically one sitting I've been pondering my form and shoe choices, so today I went out in the uber light nikes I bought because they were cute when I started c25k way back when. Compared to my clunky, uber corrective NBs, I could feel the road, I could feel that a heel strike doesn't feel good and that midfoot does, and I felt about 20 lbs lighter. Now I just need to remind myself that I've still got to get the hip healed, that I'm not in any hurry, and that slow and steady wins the race.

But, again....damn that felt good.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 03-03-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

La4

Megan, that's a good idea about running in superlight shoes. As opposed to going right to barefoot -- which I'm worried about doing because I have my own sensory issues especially on the bottom of my feet. Hmm. Maybe I'll hop over to the barefoot board on RW and see what people say about that (unless I'll get blasted?). I know my form is heavily heel-strike and that I pound too hard. My NB are also uber-corrective.

Kerc, you go girl!

I don't think I can make it out west for the relay, although I'd love to. I still am trying to decide on a spring/summer marathon so I can do Disney with enough time in between for recovery/training. P, I priced flights out to Missoula and man they are PRICEY. So I really don't think that one's going to happen. Sigh....wishing us all enough $$ to do the races and get the gear we'd like (and keep our priorities straight! )

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM

memiles, it's amazing how heavy shoes can feel! I'm glad you had a good run!

Welcome, Maplesugar!!

Tonight I run with DD again and I am going to try and just drop her off, then do my regular run.

Does this sound right? Run 30minutes with DD (C25K style), then run my own 30-45minutes. I'm not up to running the whole 45minutes yet, but I am wondering if this will work for 10K training? I can't think of another way to get in all the time I need and we can't afford a gym membership right now.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
Welcome, maplesugar! Be careful, this place is addictive. Next thing you know, you'll be plotting to meet up with 11 other dingos for a 185 mile race. Cause that's what we do for fun!
Well, when you put it that way!

La - I am so sorry. There is nothing worse than feeling like you aren't being listened to by someone who's JOB it is to listen to you! As parents, we are the world's expert on our children. I would tell you to listen to your mama instinct. And don't worry about the books. Librarian was probably just having her own day, kwim?

Nic - I love your affirmation for us all to have money enough for gear and races, and the ability to prioritize which gear we need for which races!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 PM

GMM~wow, on the lady's arms, wish mine were half of that. I'm working on it though. Yay on the cool belt and what you accomplished to get that.

La4~ just because some one doesn't listen to you doesn't have to mean anything about you. Maybe practicioner was having an off day. also, let go of the library book issue. I'm sure you were the most sincere, and nicest person they have dealt with regarding said issue. and most of all, you know your intentions were good. best of all, we know you! thanks for being here and sharing, we all get down sometimes.

RR: no run, but worked out pretty hard this morning with body weights, cardio, and dumbells. working on those arms ladies.

I have more to say, but have been interrupted a zillion times already, be back when I'm alone.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Day three of running/walking for me. I've been doing between 4-6 km a day, half running, half walking. The plan was to run one minute, walk one minute for the first week, and add a minute of running to each interval every week until I'm at 10:1's. I was also planning to run 5 days a week, but spoke to y sister this morning and she was concerned for injury at starting too fast. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not 5x/week is feasible without injury? I plan on 3 on, 1 off, two on, 1 off....

Thanks ladies, I'm inspired by all of you, especially since my running partner seems to have crapped out on me already and hasn't run with me onc this week....and I live in a small town, so training for a half marathon by myself feels like a bit of a daunting task....

Anno
Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 PM

wanted to update you on two things. went to NP for my ear issues, full of fluid, put on antibiotics since it's over two weeks of this. If I hadn't been on sudafed for the last 5 days it would have been a lot wose, but even on that it wasn't improving. I really hope this helps.

dsd~said she did really good with her mom in not taking the money and she seems to understand why we feel so strongly about it. she told me that she knows we are teaching her to be self sufficient and not depend on her mom so that she can succeed when she moves out and lives on her own. huge sigh of relief. She seems to be back to her happy self, spending time with us, making good decisions, helping around the house, etc. Crisis averted this time I think. She did her second day at her new job this afternoon too. yay!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lab not going as well today. Send all your winter cold this way, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangranola View Post
Day three of running/walking for me. I've been doing between 4-6 km a day, half running, half walking. The plan was to run one minute, walk one minute for the first week, and add a minute of running to each interval every week until I'm at 10:1's. I was also planning to run 5 days a week, but spoke to y sister this morning and she was concerned for injury at starting too fast. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not 5x/week is feasible without injury? I plan on 3 on, 1 off, two on, 1 off....
I think that c25k is hard for some people to progress on just 3 days a week. However, especially if you are looking at running to lose a lot of weight (sorry, I'm not remembering exactly your personal motivation right now...), then going 5 times a week will help with the weight and more rapid conditioning, but you will risk injury in your knees especially. So maybe it would be good for a compromise. If you are doing a c25k-like program, then do it 3 times a week, and make the other two days something else. Either make them what you did three weeks ago, or just walk, or find some other cardio work.

mommajb, you complimented my science fair ideas. This science educator just emailed Nic an assignment I give my college students. DD's class did a moon project that was almost indistinguishable from what I give my college students. I'm starting to think that college-level general ed is not that different than mid primary grade science.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:45 PM

relay question:I've been assuming Seattle would be the best airport to fly into for the race, but a neighbor who's from Washington said a Canadian airport would be better. That sounds more expensive, but maybe I'm wrong. What do you west coasties think?

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Vancouver BC would be way closer to the start but might be more expensive...but maybe not. Worth checking into. The closest airport is actually Bellingham, it's smallish but does do quite a few commuter flights.

Sea-Tac is about 2.5 hours from the race start. I could pick people up, or there are shuttles that would get you to B'ham relatively cheap. My cousin lives really close to the race start, I was thinking of asking her if we could have a dingo campout up there the night before. Heck, if we need a person, she'd be a great addition to Team Dingo- IIRC, she ran a full in Hawaii less than a year after giving birth to her micro preemie and spending 4 months in the hospital with him.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 03-03-2010, 08:09 PM

Yeah, Bellingham would be close, Vancouver would be close too, but I don't know how to get to the border, thogh there has to be a way. Sea-tac would be about 2.5 hours away - oh, Megan already said that.

La4 - I hate days like that.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 PM

lala~

I ran and I survived. It actually wasn't bad, I felt pretty good during the run for the most part (except annoyed at the stupid tv/ipod connection that was glitchy). Holy cow, I don't remember ever sweating that much before, though! It was crazy how soaked I was. Getting rid of toxins, maybe? I wouldn't really say that I feel better, but I definitely don't feel worse, so that's good, I guess.

Oh, and the saga of the bureaucracy for the job I don't really want to work continues. The director who needs to officially hire me called this morning, gave me the info to call HR and get all the stuff set up, so I call. I have to go spend 3 hours (!!!) there tomorrow (dragging DS with, of course) to do all their new hire crap. And I have to have a tb test, which then has to be read on Saturday. I'm hoping that a nurse friend here in town can do it, so I don't have to spend an hour and a half driving for someone to glance at my arm for 2 seconds. I'm supposed to go meet the guy that I'm covering for tomorrow for him to show me around and stuff, and the HR lady was like , you can't do anything until the tb test is cleared. So I had to call the guy and tell him that, to which he said, well come anyway and we'll just put the hours for it down for next week so they don't know. I just got really annoyed talking to the director guy and HR who want me to do all this crap when *I'm* the one doing *them* a favor. At least he didn't really quibble about my pay rate, other than a little hemming and hawing about how it was on the high side of their scale but since I'm only PRN, they can make it work.

Oh, and I finally got my sliding shelf fixed! There was much first, but now all is good.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 03-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
My cousin lives really close to the race start, I was thinking of asking her if we could have a dingo campout up there the night before. Heck, if we need a person, she'd be a great addition to Team Dingo- IIRC, she ran a full in Hawaii less than a year after giving birth to her micro preemie and spending 4 months in the hospital with him.
That would be great! I imagine that, since I will bring our average pace down but quite a bit , our start time will be earlier in the morning. Not crack-of-dawn early, but before noon for sure. If she'd be up for that, and possibly running it too!, that would be awesome.

Towson - I think I am flying into Seattle. If we are able to coordinate, perhaps we can shuttle together or, if we need to rent a team vehicle, we could take care of it from there.

I think there are some potential relayers who are not on the yahoo group, but I will send something out on there as well as a start.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Plady, adding my thoughts of support for Nora.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 PM

I am jealous. I miss the PNW!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I am jealous. I miss the PNW!
I'm jealous too. If we do it again in 2011, I'm totally in!

Plady ~ for Nora

Lala ~ for you!

I'm having the post-parent-visit blues. I miss having all that help! But I finally made it to the YMCA today and did a 10 minute walk, 30 minutes of elliptical intervals, and my hammy stretches. Then my core endurance class tonight. Nice to be moving again, even if it's not running.

I am really unsure about what to do with my Indy Mini registration. Sell it? Run/walk the race? Walk the entire thing? I'm in a freaking preferred corral, but there is no way I'll be running from there! I'm already 3 weeks behind on the training and still have another few days of no running ahead. What think you, Dingoes????

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 PM

Hey Dingoes - work is commencing on the 2010 dingo shirts. Can y'all check into the race list on pg1 of this thread and see if it's accurate? DrJen is the race list curator, so PM her for any changes or additions.

Got my workout done today

Now DH is sick. All of the sudden. yuck. he's not fun to be around while sick.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 AM

Okay...so those that know me? Do I have a rotten egg stench? Is there something basically obnoxious about me? I cannot figure out what is going on, but it just seems like I cannot find a niche with the homeschooling groups. I find a group that is very open, diverse, and think, "yes!" And yet, just never have found a connection. Kind of feel a little like I'm on the outside looking in. Then I find two women with kids my age who approach HS so much like me, have similar philosophies about what kids need, etc. And yet it seems like they cancel all the time on me. On me. If one person cancels, the other just immediately tells me they aren't up for it. Then, someone sends out an invite for a get together and I say what day I can't do it. So what day is it scheduled for? Then, someone I've been looking forward to having over for dinner for a long time sends out a feeler message about cancelling. I dunno. Those that do hs, have you found it hard to find that connection? It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't that dd needs that social so much. I can handle less, I'm more introverted than she is. But I'm having a hard time with this because I feel like they're messing with my baby.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 AM

bbm, I have found it hard to make connections with the homeschooling crowd, too. Honestly, I have one good friend/family that homeschools and other than that... none? There are a few people I know that I will occasionally get together with, but not on a regular basis.

This year we have really cut back our socialising because I am working so much more. I need to be home to make soap, list stuff online, do homeschooling stuff, play games, etc.. etc... I just can't be going everywhere to gtg with people. It is hard, but if I don't make money then we can't hs, so that's how it is for now.

I feel like I often am turning people down or cancelling because of my business/lack of time management skills. Maybe some of them are that way?

I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding some like-minded friends. It is hard.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 AM

Runningmommy--I hope your ears start feeling better soon; they have been making you miserable for awhile. It will be great if the antibiotics can knock out whatever's brewing in there.

Geo--You are SO welcome to all of the winter cold from Massachusetts. Today it started to snow and I nearly started to cry.

grnmtnmama--Eek, the race list is going on the shirts? I guess I'd better sign up for something. Probably the local 5K is safe.

Thanks for all of the virtual hugs. I decided my main problem was that after the doctor's visit I bribed DS with a trip to Dunkin' Donuts, where I ordered a SMALL coffee for myself. It gave me major anxiety for the rest of the day, which made these minor issues seem not so minor. When DH got home, I was already coming down from my caffeine high and he talked me through the rest.

Tonight we went to this great book night at our local bookstore. They had representatives from DD's school (kindergarten teacher, gym teacher, music teacher, principal, librarian) and townspeople (fire fighter, police officer, town librarian) sit and read children's books to whatever kids showed up. Man, that principal is a rock star to the kids! There was no pressure to buy stuff, but a portion of all of the sales from the evening goes to the school. I managed to find things for my niece's and my grandmother's birthdays, which was an added bonus.

Tomorrow I face the librarians and pay for my book. It's just that I appreciate the library so much but I already feel like I'm kind of a pain, since I request a ridiculous number of books for them to hold for me. So to now be not just a pain but also the pain who ruins books.... is hard for me to handle. Eek. It will be fine, I'm sure.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 AM

bbm, that sucks. i've had a hard time connecting where i am but i *think* it's b/c of religious reasons. i get the impression they tend to meet up only with those who go to the same church. i can't seem to get a darn thing going and i even made a listserv for the group. which is why i am heavily involved in activities right now: baseball, taekwondo, horseback riding & violin lessons, and they do the offertory at church - all of it for both boys. i know it's not me but just the lifestyle out here and i know i can't change that. i keep hoping someone else will join us who are just the people looking for us.

hi maplesugar. yum, that sounds good. i love maple candy. where are you?

la4, i have and hate days like that, too.

Quote:
I just had a run that made me remember that I actually love running. Only 4 miles, slower than dirt, still a bit weird on my right leg, but DAMN it felt good. After reading Born to Run in practically one sitting I've been pondering my form and shoe choices, so today I went out in the uber light nikes I bought because they were cute when I started c25k way back when. Compared to my clunky, uber corrective NBs, I could feel the road, I could feel that a heel strike doesn't feel good and that midfoot does, and I felt about 20 lbs lighter. Now I just need to remind myself that I've still got to get the hip healed, that I'm not in any hurry, and that slow and steady wins the race.

But, again....damn that felt good.
i know just what you mean!! it's hard to explain but an addictive feeling, for sure. I actually love running more now than ever before.

speaking of, MAMABETH, where are you? i have a bf question. i know there's a forum on rw, but i just can't dial-up another page right now. you said you would run with your Vibrams - how did you do it? I tried that today and i just hated carrying something. i guess i'm not used to that. i never carry anything, not a phone, water bottle, etc.

Mandy, Sorry ds is sick! So I haven't added mine to the list yet b/c I'm still vaccillating between the 5K and the half-marathon. I guess I'll just decide. Pressure...

So I went out for a 4-mile bf run today. I warmed up on gravel for the 1/3 mile of my driveway and then another portion on the other dirt road until I got to the paved road. i wore minimalist shoes for this but then took them off for the 4-mile paved portion. I really like how this particular pavement feels on my feet, so I didn't want to run with shoes. Plus, I find I get a better upper body workout with the less that's on my feet. So i took them off and carried them. My time wasn't so great - back to 12-min miles which was a disappointment b/c I ran 10:15 min miles last Sat in Austin. But I was super-distracted. I dedicated the race to someone I'm very close to who has cancer and it looks like does not have long to live. I'm very close to the whole family and was almost in tears the whole run, was distracted by holding the shoes, etc. I know I can do better. I can for sure run the 5K on May 1st. I'd like to run the half-marathon, however.

JayGee, you're race is the week after mine. Where are you in the training? I have no program and I'm just winging it. What are your long runs at this point?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 AM

(((BBM)))) and some for N as well. It stinks. I have been in phases of my life like that and I hate it. Just for the record: I would have a play date with you two if you lived closer. We aren't homeschooling .... but um, apparently the stuff we do for "fun" is what the local crowd does for homeschooling? I get that a lot from the "homeschooling" crowd. Coincidentally this crowd mostly parents of 4.5 year olds, has suddenly decided that I'm not a total freak for sending my kids to private preschool and public school. Since my Erin retains a lot of her sense of "self" the school must not be too bad --- err or maybe we're figured out how to encourage something that might have happened naturally. In any event I find myself in an unusual place of trying to explain my schooling choices often to the 4.5 year old crowd I know from prenatal yoga with my youngest. For the record I often felt very left-out and very isolated because I didn't claim I would homeschool right from birth. Geez. Somehow we as a society try to pigeon-hole each other and it turns out just because someone is doing something differently it doesn't mean they are doing a bad job. Anyhow that was a long way to say, Kathleen if you guys can get here, I'd take you and DD any day.

blah blah blah >>more daisy scout leader crap <<< blah blah blah
Both of my co-leaders bailed on me tomorrow. One has a family emergency. One is just a freaking flake. But the meeting is a 5 in my hometown. I work until 4:50 about 20 minutes away (from close office door, walk to car, drive, etc.). Apparently dh will be leading the show until I can get there. Why am I doing this again? 6 more meetings. 6 more meetings. I can totally do it.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 AM

la4, that is me. i request a ridiculous number of books, too. i have found that some librarians love me for it and think it rocks. my books are always waiting for me behind the desk and so the kids arent' tempted to run around like i crazy while i search. mostly, they love it, however, there is this one town where the librarian is so mean i learned she is called the library-nazi (ala soup nazi) behind her back. after i was there one afternoon for several hours with the kids spread on the floors reading quietly (there were zero other people there the entire time, or they would've moved) she posted a sign after we left, limiting everyone's library use to an hour!!! even if you're on your own computer! imagine having a maximum amount of time to spend in library. that did it. we go out of our way to drive to other libraries now. oh and i've been wanting to ask you where you are in mass. oh and are we fb friends? i still don't know who's who?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 AM

Dana I think you should go and just press the limit. Make her ask you to leave.

I view a library book as something one is careful with, but it's not a white-glove affair. If something happens to the book, I accept responsibility and pay for it. But I don't feel *horrible* about it (unless it was truly not an accident or I tried to slip it in without someone noticing). I mean sometimes when I'm reading a kids book and nursing I do spill something on it (or in one instance sprayed it with breastmilk due to my overactive letdown).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

User Tag List