Running the O'Dingo Way -- Dingos Run Into March like Lionesses! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1113 Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jo, just think about how good the weigh in will look next week if you are staying on track.

Nic, I thnk an early taper sounds like a good idea. I hope you are rarin' to go when the time comes.

zub, what is the deal with back ground noise? My parents do it also and they are not that old (62). My dad got all huffy one time when I turned the kitchen tv off during dinner.

gaye, it sounds like you are getting more than double the hours with all the orientation. With the rate you negotiated that's something - maybe racing money?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#122 of 1113 Old 03-04-2010, 09:45 PM

Well, I got my run in. Nothing special, not as long as I had hoped for. But I ran farther than I have since last month, so I will take what I can get.

Jo, you go! I am so impressed by your dedication.. I bet the pounds are just melting off of you!

I just wish I could get up that sort of motivation myself...
#123 of 1113 Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Jo, I only weigh in once a cycle (which averages out to be about every 27 days), on Day 5 ! Good luck to you tomorrow.

Zub ~ I hope you can find some time for yourself. The blaring TV would drive me batty.

Nic ~ I agree with the early taper and all the rolling/stretching/icing you can stand .

eksmom! I'm excited for you!

Okay, today's mental note: Do not buy a bag of jellybeans, even if it's eastertime. You WILL consume the entire bag. All 1400 calories of it. In one afternoon. Sigh. And man does all that sugar make me feel like crap.

Off to the Y tomorrow morning for some quality time with the elliptical.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#124 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 01:29 AM

Oy, what a day. One of my partners is on vacation, and today is the other partner's day off, and the FNP had to leave early today, so it was just me in the office for part of the day (in a normally 4 provider at a time office!) I saw 31 patients today, most of them very gracious about my frazzled self. One dad was kind of a jerk, though. They had scheduled an appt for their 12 yr old to discuss possible ADHD. We called to see if they could reschedule to another day, because I had so many sick patients to accomodate today, and dad said absolutely not, it was an emergency, they had to be seen TODAY. So, they were scheduled in the late afternoon, and I was 40 min late by then (which we were trying to avoid by rescheduling any one who wasn't urgent to begin with!) and dad was really pissy about it - apparently thinking I'd been sitting around snacking all afternoon or something. So, we take the relatively long history required to figure out school issues, it looks like attention may well be a problem, we start discussing what might be options. They don't want 1. Counseling, with emphasis on behavioural modifcation and helps for ADD or 2. Medication. Um, what the heck are you doing in my office? Do you see a magic wand?

I also am currently working with a family in which the relatively young mother/grandmother (63 yrs old) is dying of lung cancer. Only, the oncologist is engaging is a really unrealistic ridiculously positive spin, which the family is clinging to desperately. I don't know how, because you only have to look at mom to see how poorly this is going, but they choose to believe his words instead of their eyes, I guess. I try to gently describe the expected prognosis, and to maybe start thinking about some end of life decisions, and what will happen if mom can't care for herself anymore (she already can't, which they haven't recognized, leaving her last week home alone sitting in the same incontinence brief for 36 hours.) Now, they've complained to nurses and pastoral care that I'm "too negative" and the oncologist is "so much more hopeful." Ugh. So frustrating, because they are missing the chance to care for her, and for her to say things that need to be said, do things that need to be done, and get some goodbyes taken care of. They'll be shocked and angry when the inevitable happens, and the oncologist will shake his head and say "Oh, what a shame, isn't that something? And she was doing so much better!"

bbm - do you recommend any particular book for parents about understanding attention deficit? Plus or minus discussion of meds, doesn't really matter, I'm looking for something to encourage parents not to be so punitive and angry, and perhaps have some helpful behavioral suggestions?

eksmom - Yay! I'm so excited for your race! It'll be like falling off a log, that easy to get back into! (as my dad always used to say.)

RM - I could really use a LLL leader right now - have a lovely young mama with flat, almost inverted nipples, coupled with a tiny baby (just under 6 lbs) without much chin who likes to suck on her bottom lip. I can get the baby latched, with a lot of patience, some positioning tricks, 4 hands and a prayer, but she is really struggling when alone. Finally at least her milk is in and she's pumping and cup feeding in addition to whatever baby gets at breast, but boy could she use a friendly leader to sit with a bit!

Geo - You are welcome to every bit of cold from here. Maybe Argonne has some kind of exchange-cold program? My Justin's planet finding science fair project is going to the state paper session and the regional fair, with a chance to make the state fair!

RR - Ran my easy 4 tonight. Felt pretty good after a hard day. Hoping to get a little longer run on the weekend, hopefully outside with friends, if it's not raining.
#125 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 AM

Zub, You hang in there. I hope you get a little peaceful moment today. Maybe lock yourself in the bathroom with a glass of wine for a bath.

Nick: good idea to start the taper early and focus on that sore spot. I hope it feels better soon!

Jo: wow, what a workout! And thanks for reminding me about fish on Fridays - I was just thinking that nothing appeals to me for lunch today, but fish does!

Gaye: I hope your sinuses are feeling better today.

Eks When is the 5k?

Penelope: I hope everything calms down soon at work. Does that come around every year until you get tenure? It sounds just horrible.

FM: 4 mile pace run today, faster than my previous one earlier this week. Planning 9 miles slow tomorrow. It is cold again, but at least there is no snow on my trail along the canal.

Oh, and the relay that I might do with my brother is a Ragnar relay, too! It is the one in Washington DC and the dates are Sept. 24-25. But sheesh, have you guys looked into their training programs? The intermediate training program goes up to 46 miles per week or something insane like that! And 6 days a week running? What do you guys plan on doing for training?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#126 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nemesis, so glad you got to run...

DrJen, the cancer patient stuff sounds so horrible. I don't know how it really helps someone to be so optimistic when things simply do not look good. My sense is that being prepared and coming to terms with the suffering is what, in the end, is the best way, even whilst it might feel easier to be given (false) hope. Jeepers, I don't know how you face the TM after a day like that

Thanks, Mel.. I may well do that! I looked at the training for the relay too I was thinking that I would run 3-4 days, and do the quality sessions. I don't think I'd remain injury free if I were to follow the schedule as written. As it is I'm injured and sore on 3 days.

A quick moan: I have been up all night with DS. Well, more or less as sleep was hopelessly broken... he is either teething or has an ear thing starting, poor poppet. I came downstairs and my mum is devoid of any sort of empathy for me. I say how tired I am (trying not to be too whingey about it) but trying to elicit a little bit of empathy.. and she is not capable of it. She does say 'did ds get any sleep? And I replied, 'yes, thankfully, but his mama didn't'... she is silent, so I prod her (as I am not just wanting to see how she will respond.. and I am also hoping that she can feel and express tenderness towards me) by saying, 'ack, I feel pretty awful'. She responds, 'oh yes I have been there.. up all night'. This is not an empathetic sharing, this is a 'quit moaning as I have had this far worse than you'. I then start to feel cross and say 'but i have to go to work now...' and she says 'Well, I had to look after other kids' (I have step siblings - her step kids -who are much older who would have been in school when I was a baby as I am the youngest). I do snap back 'mum, you could be a little empathetic - I have had no sleep and I am having to go to work and a little empathy goes a long way'.

She is now very angry with me and is not talking to me. I really have to walk on eggshells around her. It is very trying sometimes. She really does think that she suffers and experiences everything much more acutely than anyone else, and this seems to preclude empathy for others. She is like it with everyone, especially my very elderly father (there's close to 20 years between them).

Rant over.. and now I must try to refind some grace.

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#127 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Zub.

You could have called me, dd2 was up vomiting last night. Then we finally got her settled and the fire alarm battery went so the *&^#$*(# thing started beeping and dh took a few minutes (too long!) to figure out which one it was and disconnect it. Which he couldn't ultimately do completely, so he stuck the whole thing in the freezer.

At 3 a.m. it seemed like a reasonable solution.

Anyway this morning's run was Much. Better. Very slow easy 3 miles (32:04) and then I did the Women's Running Magazine 'yoga stretch' which really, really helped. then the foam roller which made me but also helped. I don't think I'm doing that thing right and I keep rolling off. I need a tutorial.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#128 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 AM

Dr. Jen, your days are trying in a million ways. I'm glad you at least got your 4, and also that they were easy. At least one thing was easy, then.

Zub...my mom is also missing the empathy gene. I see it in myself sometimes and I have to work hard to correct it. She has to be convinced she has suffered through worse than anyone, and that means no empathy, every, for anyone. Period. My only advice is to seek empathy where it exists. Here is a good start, but also IRL friends who love and care about you. I am lucky to have 2 wonderful sisters and a couple of IRL friends who fill my cup. Dingoes quickly go from invisible, imaginary friends to IRL ones with a single visit (and often before that). I hope your Friday workday is short and lightly loaded, and that the weekend holds long naps and relaxing runs for you.

Mel, enjoy the fish. We'll be grilling lamb. It's weird. Even though I'm not Catholic anymore, I love the fish-on-Friday tradition.

Thanks for the s Dingoes. I feel like such a baby, whining over my bloaty self. IRL, I am a trooper, and I do just hope for the best and realize in two weeks I'll have a sweet weigh-in. Regardless of what the scale says, I am running as fast as I ever have, though not as far, so I am in an ideal position to move forward into spring adding distance and continuing to lose pounds. Part of it is how shocked I am at how much I let slip back on. When it comes to my own body, I am absolutely dysmorphic, so I never really appreciated where I was when I squeaked into my "ideal weight range" a couple years ago, and I didn't take it seriously enough to protect it. Now I feel like I am fighting the same battle again. But at least this time I am one lesson smarter and have better cardio fitness to do what must be done. And I did manage to zip the 8s a couple weeks ago, so by the end of March, I may be able to actually wear them out of the house again. This is very good news!

I think dh is home again today (still in bed), so I will try to get out earlier to hit the Y. I am thinking elliptical, so I can run long early tomorrow morning. Sunday we have to get dh to the airport by 5AM, so that morning will be complicated and my heart might not be in a LR. He started building me a milking stand for the ladies yesterday , and said he thinks they might kid while he's in Kansas (which would follow the trend of kidding/lambing in dh's absence).

Dh asked me last night if I was doing a marathon this year. I told him no, that I was saving my dollars for our family trip. We're still on opposite sides about a car...he wants to buy a cheap one and leave it for family, I want to rent a safe one and not die of brake failure on Tizi'n'Tishka mtn. pass...I'm working on him, though. But I did tell him about the relay team and that, if there were anyone I'd want to run a relay with, it's these ladies...and then quietly mentioned Disney. Anyway, he definitely got a sense of Dingo love from me when I was discussing you ladies planning the relay. I was pretty enthusiastic. I SO wish I could be in that van.

Oh, and it could be close to 40 today! Keeping gear in the car just in case. May have to hit the road for a jog out of pure joy.
#129 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, I forgot to ask:

how many SS packages should we send out, and when should we do the 'big reveal'?

Jo, do your dh's relatives also still speak Berber? I am very interested in the ethnology of the Atlas mtn./Morroccan experience. (We have Israeli friends who are Morroccan...some are descended from Sephardi -- Spanish -- Jews who were expelled in 1492 from Spain but others were from communities which long pre-existed the Sephardi influx, going back to Roman times; they spoke/speak a strange conglomeration of languages: Hebrew, Ladino -- a Spanish/Hebrew mix, Arabic, and some Berber).

Sorry for the OT.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#130 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Nic, I saw this and thought of you: http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,...id=68928548001

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I'm going to.

Re: work... I finally asked someone on my professional growth committee for advice, and when I told her how anxious I was about not having my contract renewed, she actually laughed, and took both of my hands in both of hers and said really, really kindly "Don't worry!" ... so that felt better. (The whole thing was complicated by one of my other colleagues, who is 75% awesome and 25% sociopath, telling me this long, complicated story about how the faculty chair came to ask him about some fairly terrible and totally untrue rumor about me (!) and how I couldn't talk to her about it because she'd be angry, blah blah blah, and my growth committee person has the extra quality of being a psychologist, and she totally unpacked the situation between colleague and faculty chair for me and suggested the utterly simple approach of saying to faculty chair, "I heard that there was a conversation in which X was discussed. Please let me set the record straight: X is not the case, at all, in any way." Which, good. I'm fine now, but a leeetle angry at part-sociopath colleague.... I swear, I couldn't make this shit up.)

Skipping the possible 10K tomorrow to do a solo longer run - it's finally supposed to be nice out and I'd like to go longer than 10K, plus it saves me an hour or so of driving. Hoping for a nice slow 10m.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#131 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 AM

I need to brag on my parents. They have a workroom (Silk Mountain Creations) where they fabricate home textiles/draperies. My mom does the technical design and soft fabrications (with a small crew) and my dad does the hardware/woodworking/installing. They call this retirement. They just did this install and I am so happy for them and all the positively gushing comments. I find it funny that a drapery rod company has a blog.

#132 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 AM
bec

mommajb - That is gorgeous!!!

DrJen - I don't know how you do it. Seriously. I just don't. Can I just say again, that you are awesome, and your compassion is something I aspire to.

Geo - If you do any work at Argonne, we need to have a gathering!

Zub - I'm sorry you didn't get the sympathy you needed from your mom.

I just spent a long time writing out a long and boring vent about my neighbor. Suffice it to say, that I was woken up by her, and am tired and grouchy today. I think I'm going to skip the gym and have a quality day with Abby, smothering her with attention!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#133 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM

my bike is on the car and i'm anticipating a short duration, recovery type ride outside in the sunshine. I think my vitamin D levels need a bump, so I'm looking forward to catching some sunshine today and this weekend.

Zub - sorry about the lack of empathy. I feel for you, it sucks to be up all night and then have to function at work the next day. Take it easy on yourself, you mentioned that you've been getting sick a lot which could be related to being up all night many nights, the stress of working and training for your 1/2.
#134 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 AM

mommajb - wow! what an install! stunning

grnmtn - did you get the files ok?

jo - i may have to stick pictures of you on the inside of the van. i really really wish you could come! i am so happy for your family trip to morocco so we'll both just live vicariously. do you know if noah's flat ty made it back ok? it was addressed to the school.

zub - there are just some people who will never give it up, i suppose. i know it's hard to do in the moment, but it makes me feel sorry for them. like, what do they gain by refusing to be empathetic? i can't imagine it feels good. sigh. hope you get some rest, mama.

penelope - thanks for the video link - i am going to do that today!

mel - on training, i looked at the novice plan and it seems doable. no intermediate stuff for me! i am focused on my half marathon right now, so i guess the key will be to keep going after that. by the way i have a trip to germany coming up in a few weeks - where are you? if it's munich or something nice like that, i won't be anywhere near. i'll be in nurnberg (herzogenarauch, actually). not my favorite.

ETA: my KT tape arrived in the mail yesterday - very excited to try it out and hope it lives up to my expectations! anyone ever use it? I have that nagging calf strain problem so I have two pieces basically wrapped around my calf muscle. Going for a quick spin on the treadmill in a few to test it out...

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#135 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 PM

mommajb, I don't usually get excited about window treatments, but that's pretty gorgeous. Wow.

Poppy, would you do that? I'd love that. And I do so want to be there.

Nic, not only do my ILs still speak Berber, that's all they speak. And as I may have mentioned, they still maintain some of their pre-Islamic (read: Judaic) traditions. I'll be sure to take tons of photos when I go to help share the experience with my Dingoes.

FM: 1 hour on the elliptical (said 6.5mi) followed by abs followed by 10min on the arc trainer (too bouncy, don't like it, makes me stitchy). Might hit 40. Extra clothes in the car. I can feel the spring mania coming on...
#136 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
if it's munich or something nice like that, i won't be anywhere near. i'll be in nurnberg (herzogenarauch, actually). not my favorite.
Yay! That's really only about 35 or 40 minutes from Neumarkt, where I live. Do you think you would have time to meet up for a run or a cup of coffee? If you do, please give me a call! I'll pm you all my contact info. Yay, a real live Dingo!

Mommajb, that is just gorgeous!

DrJen: That sounds sooo hard! I like your philosophy, though. I volunteered for hospice years ago, and it was very much an issue that doctors were unwilling to be frank and open about dying. Thank goodness for those who are, though (like you).

Zub I don't blame you for saying something, though. And the fact that she's acting miffed might just show that she knows how right you are.

Penelope: I hope you get that nice long run in tomorrow.

I didn't even look at the novice training plan for the Ragnar. That's much more reasonable. I'm waiting for my brother to decide whether he can do it again this year or not, but I sure hope so!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#137 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Hopelessly behind on personals, and T-3 hours from my MIL's arrival. Light a candle for me, ladies.

I did want to share an article with all of you. My dd is just finishing her first year of year round competitive soccer, and as you all know, has had all of her first period drama to boot. We took her to our ND as her periods have been just wicked- 7 days long, 26 day cycles. We've been managing those with herbs and things have calmed a bit, so we ran some blood tests.........and found out she has a ferritin level of SEVEN. As a comparison, we test pregnant women and worry about their iron stores and ability to recover from birth below 30.

Using my google fu (since it was too late to call my ND friends ), I found this: http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/hs/.../20051215.html

It explains so much! I can't get her out of bed, her stamina and attitude during practice and games has really dumped, and she just looks tired all the freakin time. Girlfriend starts on iron TODAY.

Then it made me wonder.....how many of us are totally depleted as well? I figure her schedule is the equivalent of many of our workout schedules. Hmmmmmm....

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#138 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Memiles, what sort of iron supplement do you suggest? I am concerned about this as well as a few other things for myself, since I am having such a hard time getting going the past few months.

It is bothersome because I am finally running without injury, but I am dragging ass to even get out there!

I am considering Cod Liver Oil for the vitamin D, but I have been repeatedly confused as to what/how much of anything I should take. I've given up and just started taking a multi from GNC- supergreens multi or something like that.
#139 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so there's this new book out "Run Like a Mother" and they're doing t-shirts and all.

Didn't we have that slogan on our shirt, like, 2 years ago?!

Hmmm...another copyright infringement! The Dingos are the trendsetters! Nike and Marathonmommies are copying us!

On another topic -- can someone chime in on the SS guidelines? How many packages? When do we reveal? Thank you. Color me clueless.

My 6 year old and I are discussing money. As in, she has about 14,000 pennies and I told her she could exchange them with me for green paper dollars. She is having a very hard time understanding the concept that less coins = the same amount of money. I tried laying out all the coins one underneath the other with their equivalents (quarter, under that two dimes and a nickel, under that five nickels, under that 25 pennies) but she doesn't seem to get it. Any ideas here?

#140 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM

I eat a lot of meat, and I know my blood still threatens to float when I donate.

I'm glad you discovered it when you did, though, memiles. Now you have a starting point and a benchmark.

P.S. I am up a pound on the weigh-in. Poo. That said, there were no major transgressions this week, so it is just a blip on the screen.
#141 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Memiles~do you want the scrub pants? No one else has said anything, and since you can use them, I'd be happy to send them to you. Just let me know.

RR: today is a rest day. went over to a friend's house to visit, then took dsd to work, home for a little to do house work, pick up boys from school, take ds2 for haircut, pick up dsd from work, make dinner, go to work 7-11pm. glad it's a rest day!
#142 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 PM

I didn't know iron was lost through sweat. That combined with running, my nursing son's low iron levels, my coffee habit and more has me asking questions.

quoting from memiles article
"However, the results of low ferritin levels for distance runners are significant. While iron depletion rarely results in the general lethargy associated with true iron-deficiency anemia, distance runners with low ferritin will likely experience abnormal exhaustion, increased blood lactate, slow recovery, declining performances, heavy legs, muscular tightness, loss of motivation, and substantially increased risk of injury. Does any of this sound familiar? " Then he goes on to talk about overuse injuries.

hematocrit/ferritin levels why don't they match up? What is the difference between hemoglobin and hematocrit?

I am anxious to learn more about this.

#143 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 03:23 PM

I am also anxious to know more. I have always been somewhat anemic most of my life. I used to take iron suppements as a teen, and again when I was pregnant. I fear that my veg diet does not do much to help with that and am really curious to know if it contributes at all to being so injury-prone. Interesting stuff.

Mel - just sent you a PM! I just looked on the map and you are close! (Also Munich is closer than I remember, so I think I was thinking Berlin )

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#144 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM

memiles, that article sounds right on. I've always been on the low side of iron which is why I must have meat. I always use cast-iron and we eat dark greens every day and I think there is some nutrient you're supposed to have with the dark greens, but I'm blank now. Glad you found it.

I'm enjoying reading about the upcoming races, relays, and JOOJ's trip. All sounds fun.

Zub,

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#145 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Finally subbing

I'm hopelessly behind, but just finished an insane week of work, and woo hoo, have exactly two days to relax before the next insane week starts!

hopefully more later

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#146 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
memiles, that article sounds right on. I've always been on the low side of iron which is why I must have meat. I always use cast-iron and we eat dark greens every day and I think there is some nutrient you're supposed to have with the dark greens, but I'm blank now. Glad you found it.
I believe what you mean is to help you absorb iron you need vitamin C.

Another hopeless red-meat eater here.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#147 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Memiles, what sort of iron supplement do you suggest? I am concerned about this as well as a few other things for myself, since I am having such a hard time getting going the past few months.

It is bothersome because I am finally running without injury, but I am dragging ass to even get out there!

I am considering Cod Liver Oil for the vitamin D, but I have been repeatedly confused as to what/how much of anything I should take. I've given up and just started taking a multi from GNC- supergreens multi or something like that.
We recommend a liquid form of iron, especially those with herbs that help you absorb better and prevent constipation. Floridax is good and easy to find.

For vitamin D, I like the drops that are 2000 IU's. Once you get your levels healthy (40-50 range), you can maintain by taking them a few days a week. I was up to 10000 units a day at one point as I was so low. Darn Seattle weather!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Memiles~do you want the scrub pants? No one else has said anything, and since you can use them, I'd be happy to send them to you. Just let me know.

RR: today is a rest day. went over to a friend's house to visit, then took dsd to work, home for a little to do house work, pick up boys from school, take ds2 for haircut, pick up dsd from work, make dinner, go to work 7-11pm. glad it's a rest day!
The pants would be great. I've been wearing my yoga pants for births forever, but we do such a high percentage of water births that I need something that dries a bit quicker when I get drenched. Plus they have great pockets. Let me know what I owe you and if you prefer paypal or a check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I didn't know iron was lost through sweat. That combined with running, my nursing son's low iron levels, my coffee habit and more has me asking questions.

quoting from memiles article
"However, the results of low ferritin levels for distance runners are significant. While iron depletion rarely results in the general lethargy associated with true iron-deficiency anemia, distance runners with low ferritin will likely experience abnormal exhaustion, increased blood lactate, slow recovery, declining performances, heavy legs, muscular tightness, loss of motivation, and substantially increased risk of injury. Does any of this sound familiar? " Then he goes on to talk about overuse injuries.

hematocrit/ferritin levels why don't they match up? What is the difference between hemoglobin and hematocrit?

I am anxious to learn more about this.
Ferritin levels indicate your body's iron stores. Hematocrit and hemoglobin measure the iron levels in your blood. If your body can't get the iron it needs from your blood it dips into the stores, therefore lowering your ferritin. You can have adequate levels in your blood (from current intake) but still have low ferritin levels.

Hematocrit
Hemoglobin
(easier than typing copies from my textbooks. I'm lazy, probably because I have low ferritin )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I believe what you mean is to help you absorb iron you need vitamin C.

Another hopeless red-meat eater here.
Yes. Vitamin C with your iron really boosts absorption. See the above mentioned liquid irons that contain the C through plant based sources.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#148 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
bec

Reading the iron discussion closely! I love you dingos!

Oh, and I got my bike back with my cool new pedals! I am resting for Sunday's indoor tri, but I am excited to use my trainer next week!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#149 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM

Thank you memiles. I was on the right path and needed some outside confirmation that I was remembering correctly and thinking clearly. This only applies to this one issue, I am sure I messing plenty up and irreversibly so.

#150 of 1113 Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 PM

Jumping in after skimming, so sorry if this was said. Isn't B12 needed for certain anemia as well?

Just got in from a Target trip for the SS!

Dreads are in!!

along here. Feel like I'm behind on most things, but not worrying about it. Happy Friday!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page