Running the O'Dingo Way -- Dingos Run Into March like Lionesses! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the encouragement, mamas! I am a bit better today, after taking 600 mg of ibuprofen last night before bed and another dose this morning, plus heating with the herbal pack and a very hot long shower. I am going to see about a chiro today and whether the insurance covers it. This is the week where I'm very low on cash so any outlay is pretty much impossible. sigh.

Jo, for your day yesterday. may I just say that I'm pretty sure we are the same person in another dimension? My dh does not have the excuse of coming from a different culture, but he does the same thing (make promises just to get kids' cooperation and then blow them off) and it makes me . He did it the other night - promised them ice cream out (a huge treat) after a day of lots of outdoor activity, and then wanted to bag it at the last minute. I told him in no uncertain terms he was being a *ick (as the kids were in the back of the car crying) and that if he wouldn't take them, I would. We went, but he had the chutzpah to accuse me of being a whiner! Right there with ya, mama.

CFG, way to go on the 20 miler!

La4, any dedicated running store should be okay for getting you a good fit. If you can get downtown to Bill Rodgers' store I know they do a good job. Also there is a good running store in Brookline, I think...maybe on Comm Ave near BU? (Not citysports)... my memory is failing me here. But I know they did right by me when I bought shoes there, so many moons ago! There was also a good store somewhere on the north shore...I want to say Malden or something like that...that I shlepped out to and it was a good running store.

(Maybe Ashcav can chime in here too, I know she lives nearby).

Bec, way to go! Woot! Take the place where you can find it -- last year I got 3rd in my age group in this teeny tiny race and I know I'll never get that again, but hey, I got the hardware! It's fun. You did a great job!

Zub, congrats on the chair (or should I say, my sympathies? that is for sure a very political job to have).

everyone!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#242 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
CFG, I have to admit I did giggle a little at the thought that your 20-miler was just so hard "for some reason." Probably because it was 20 miles and you're training. Just sayin.
She has a point here!

Thanks, Nic - I am definitely taking it as it comes! I'm hoping to understand the scoring a bit more, though! I don't like being graded on how everyone else did.

La4 - Definitely get fitted for shoes. I would have sworn by New Balance until I got fitted. Now, I'm an Asics girl. I have no particular loyalty. Just what fits my feet, gait, support, etc.

My poor little Abby is sick. She has a cough and small fever. I am debating whether she has an ear infection or not. She isn't complaining, but she also surprised us with an infection last month with no symptoms, too. She is missing her big activity day (dance and her sports class), so she is pretty down about it. But, she needs to rest, I think.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#243 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 PM

cfg- wow, 20 miles! Way to go, sorry it was hard!

nic- If you could scrape up a few bucks, I would also suggest a chiro appointment. My chiro charges a really reasonable fee ($25) simply because insurance is so much work for him. It is easier to just charge what people can afford, with or without insurance. Also, my chiro is a marathon runner so he has been so helpful in my running journey. I hope you are feeling better soon!

bec- How awesome! When is your outdoor tri?

lalala- I hope you find some shoes you like! I used to wear Asics before I went barefoot.

OceansEve- Way to go! I am looking forward to some runs like that myself!

Well, I ordered my VFFs 3.5 months ago, so they should be shipping any time now! They will go out "by April" it says on the website, so I'm hoping they'll be here in the next couple of weeks.
I also ordered a Freya sports bra. Does anyone have any experience with these? I tried my best to measure according to the fit guide on the site I was using... I currently have an Enell, which is good... but I bought it when I was 20lbs less than I am now and it doesn't fit. Also, I am over having one huge boob. Bring back the separation!

I'm going to walk today, then maybe run tonight with DD. I am just feeling kind of... blah, I guess. I go from pretty motivated to nearly hopeless on a semi-regular basis lately... I wish I could get up enough lasting motivation to see some physical results, I think it would make it easier to stick with my workout program!
#244 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 12:28 PM

cfg~seriously, if 20 milers were easy, EVERYONE would train for a marathon. You did it, and that's what counts!

lala~What they said. A shoe that works great for one person could be horrible for someone else, it's all up to you and your foot, so go get fit for the shoe that works best for YOU. Although, as a Brooks athlete, I gotta say, I my Brooks.

I think I might, just might, be feeling marginally better this morning. I was all set to call the doctor, but the sinus pressure stuff has mostly cleared up, and I just have a bunch of drainage. I'll give the antibiotic another day or two, I guess.

We have a busy day ahead of us, pediatrician to get DS's ears re-checked, home to get my windshield replaced (hit a rock on the way home from skiing on Friday, and the crack is too big to repair ), then off to the first day of work at the job I don't want to do. All kinds of fun. Notice the lack of time in there for any kind of exercise? Yeah, me too. Sigh...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#245 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Nemesis, if for some reason you can't get your VFF's, my local store has them in stock (Fit2Run). You can arrange for private pickup and shipping. :P

Gaye, glad you're feeling better.

I'm off to try and find a chiro who will take my insurance or be inexpensive.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#246 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 PM

Oh, Nic! I wish I had known! I ordered them for myself at the solstice and I mistakenly believed this online retalier had them in stock.. then I got an email the next day saying they would be shipped by April.

Hmm.. I haven't been charged yet, I wonder if I could cancel the order?

If you are going to be stopping by, do you want to see if they have the women's VFF Flows in size 38?
I wonder if it would be too much of a hassle for you? It's ok if you think it would be!

#247 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Nem, I just called them and they don't have the Flows, but they have the KSO, the Classic, and the Sprint in your size. LMK if you want me to get anything, I for sure don't mind doing it!

#248 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Thanks for calling, Nic!

Since I run bf when it is warm, I need the Flows for when it is snowy. I wish I had lots of money and could get the sprint style, though!
#249 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Good morning! I feel slightly more human today and even actually ate something. Yay. DD2 threw up one more time this morning, but seems to be okay right now with some crackers, juice, and TV .

Lalala ~ I also Brooks, but running shoes are highly personal. Try to find a store that does gait analysis. Our local store has a little runway type thing where they video your gait and make recommendations based on that. Hope you find a great pair of shoes.

cfg ~ hard or easy, at least that 20 miler is DONE!

Jo ~ sorry your DH made things difficult for you by promising things he couldn't follow through on. That's got to be so frustrating. Your plan for the next few weeks sounds good though .

I'm definitely taking today off from any exercise more strenuous than walking upstairs and putting away laundry (DH washed and folded SEVEN loads yesterday while I was sick ). My last two runs have felt good though, so I'm optimistic.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#250 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Nemesis, mine were in stock at REI last week. I bo't Sprints. I was going to wait but the employee told me they got s huge stock in the week before and over the w/e they almost sold out. Remembering your longvwait, I jumped, tho' I wouldve loved to wait fir my REI refund.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#251 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM

zub ~ Cute cake idea!!

jo ~ Good luck solo for a bit.

cfg ~ Way to go on that 20 miler!!

nic ~ Sending you healing vibes.

I hope all the sickies go away with the Spring weather breaking through!!

I got on the TM bf yesterday and ran/walked for 10-15 minutes but I see why they got rid of it. It's not a comfy run... it like bounces when I run. Ugh. I'm putting it in my yard when this rain goes away - FREE.

Hoping to get out for a walk between the rain showers today.

Take care, mamas!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#252 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post

bec- How awesome! When is your outdoor tri?
June! 1 week before the marathon, actually. Still hoping that will work out!

I'm just dropping by to give a huge THANK YOU SS!!!! I love my yummy soap, and body balm!!!! Abby was so excited by the seeds, too! As soon as the snow leaves, we are going to be planting them. I just lost a lavendar plant last season, so I am eager to get some started again!

#253 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 04:12 PM
bec

Serial posting to ask when are we supposed to do our reveal package for SS?

#254 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Serial posting to ask when are we supposed to do our reveal package for SS?
I thought the first day of Spring?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#255 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Thank you SS! The collection includes some of my favorite bars. Charlotte is busy lusting after the cadbury eggs and the air fresheners make me laugh as dh accused me getting his car stinky after runs. Just wait until his car smells like strawberry cheesecake. He does like strawberry cheesecake but I though he liked me all sweaty too.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#256 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
I thought the first day of Spring?
I haven't been pacing myself. You would think as a runner I would be better at that.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#257 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 PM

I am in need of some Dingo advice.

I ordered a Freya sports bra (ETA: Seen here)that arrived in the mail today. I am embarassed at how big it is, but the worst part is that it is too small.

I'm not sure if I should send it back or not. I am losing weight, but have a good 10lbs to go before this likely will fit. (It fits in the strap, but not the cups) I do have a bra that I can run in for now, but I hate to spend money on something I can't wear (yet).

So.. opinions? Advice? BTDT?

I am kind of burning out on the weight-loss motivation as I mentioned earlier... but I also hate to pay a lot for a bra that won't fit me next month!

Also, if anyone has any fitness or weight loss stories they'd like to share, I could really use some inspiration.
#258 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I ordered a Freya sports bra (ETA: Seen here)that arrived in the mail today. I am embarassed at how big it is, but the worst part is that it is too small.
return it. What if you change shape when you loose weight?

Yes this board is full of successes! Most of the women are busy right now, so ask again if you need to.

Mamabeth, EKS, Jo ..... others too.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#259 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Good point, kerc.

I'm glad I asked. I mean.. I know I should return it, but... I don't know. Does anyone else have a hard time hanging on to stuff that is too small? Like that will force me to lose weight to fit into it??

Anyway, I'll return it. I was extra-careful with the packaging because I figured I would have to.
#260 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:

I am kind of burning out on the weight-loss motivation as I mentioned earlier... but I also hate to pay a lot for a bra that won't fit me next month!

Also, if anyone has any fitness or weight loss stories they'd like to share, I could really use some inspiration.
I'm with the "return it" camp. You never know what your body is going to do 10 lbs from now. I kept my in-between clothes as cheap as possible, then splurged on nice stuff when I was at my goal as an incentive to stay there.

My story: I'd always been chubby. My dad was a marathoner and struggled with his weight, so I thought I came by it honestly. In HS I got a job at a gym, discovered I loved working out, became a personal trainer and aerobics instructor, but never really got thin. I was solid and strong, but always bigger than I wanted to be (around a size 10 at 5'1). I gained 50 lbs with my first pregnancy, barely lost any, and finally got fed up and lost an additional 35 lbs through exercise and WW...and instantly got pregnant with E. Gained 50 lbs, even though I was exercising through the pregnancy. Lost it all quickly....and then I fell down and did 2 years of knee surgeries and rehab. I settled in a bit higher than before, about a size 12, even though I was working out every day.

Last spring I finally got sick of it. Went back to WW online and lost about 15, and then started c25k. Once I started running the weight came off in a way that it never had before. I went into maintenance mode and lost another 10 that I wasn't planning on and didn't care about, even though my eating is healthy but not particularly clean (chocolate and baked goods are my friends, and there isn't a way to do gluten free anything but full fat/sugar). I've maintained this weight since September without really any struggle. At this point, I have a hard time getting my head around the fact that people tell me I'm skinny, as I have just never been that person.

You can do this, and I promise every bit is worth it.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#261 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Memiles, how inspiring! Coincidentally, I was just going to look at your pics on FB.. I saw one posted a while ago and I remembered a lot of comments on how much weight you had lost. I'll have to go find it now!

Thank you for sharing. Some days I just feel like I have been working so long and seeing no results, and it's hard to keep shuffling along.
#262 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Nemesis - I'd return it too, even when you do lose enough weight that it is in the right range to fit, it still may not be quite right and by then it will be too late to return. As for weight loss I think there is really nothing like weight training for reshaping the bod. I did the weight training portion of Body for Life for a long time and now I really love those bodyrock.tv interval workouts. Those feel great and the added bonus of not needing anything except a clock is excellent for cutting through excuses about why you can't today.
I have never found running to do anything for weight loss for me, maybe a few pounds when I first get started but by the time I can keep up a decent rhythm it ends.

Apologies to my ss, I have a package ready to go but forgot it when I went to town to the dr and I don't see me getting out again today. But it's ready!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#263 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Nem, I'm with the others. Return it. For really moderately priced high quality bras, try www.sierratradingpost.com. They may or may not have exactly the color you want, but the prices are right and that way you don't have to feel guilty about getting what you need right now.

Also I've found NWT on eBay sometimes, way off price. Worth it for the interim.

As for weight loss, . This is a constant struggle for me, and now I am down sizes but not really more than 10 lbs. Mainly from lots and lots of running and a lot more stress over the last 6 months . I know I need to start doing some serious core and resistance training not only for weight loss but also just for overall strength/fitness, but it is hard for me to do anything but run. Running is my coping mechanism and kind of a drug for me and it doesn't feel good to do other stuff, so I'm lazy and don't do it. Sigh.

I think now I am paying for it big time with the back injury.

But anyway it was discouraging to go to the doctor last week and find out I've only lost like 8 lbs. even though I've gone from a 14 to a 10 (I'm 5'6"). Somehow I thought it was a lot more... I also need to clean up the gluten and sugar in my diet again. I feel much better when I'm off it, but I find it very difficult to maintain b/c of cost and family food preparation, plus the detox period is wicked awful with cravings, etc. I roam around looking for things to eat.

Double le sigh.

#264 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM

Thank you SS!! Love the red bush tea and mug - immediately brought them to work with me today so that I'd have something cheery and happy in my office! I've never read Trail runner but I can already tell I'm going to love it - and DH seems into it as well. DD already broke into the stickers for a card she made yesterday. Thank you!!!

FM = 0 I have been totally pathetic the last week, between insane work and then getting sick, so...

Dear Universe: I am going to run or walk 4 times between now and Sunday and do weights/PT at least 2 nites!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#265 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Here's my Dingo weight loss story: I have always ranged between overweight and obese. About 6mos after the birth of my second child, I realized enough was enough. I weighed 247 at my last weigh-in before delivering. I am 5'3". , right? And I am sure that I actually went back to gaining weight after having dd. So I changed everything. I cleaned up my diet, used my bike for errands during non-snowy seasons, and started to walk and do other exercises. When I got down to about 180, I started running using basically the C25K method. Eventually my weight reached 142, the very top of "normal" for my height. Losing 100 pounds was incredibly liberating, and for me I discovered I can do much more than I ever thought possible. It also altered the balance of power in my marriage in a very healthy way.

I am not exaggerating when I say that, had I not lost the weight, I'd not be living this life.

That said, I learned a lot about happiness while losing weight, being thin, gaining weight and losing weight again. I am learning every day.

Also, I have discovered that I need to regularly up the ante to lose weight. By adding harder intervals (speedwork, hill work on the bike or high resistance on the elliptical), I not only do get faster, but I also get lighter. This round, because I have gym access, I am doing more arms and upper body work than I have in the past, and it is having an impact on my shape, and probably on my burn and loss, too. Good stuff. Even at my lowest weight, I am about an 8, and frankly, that's about the limit of my hip bones. Also, having been obese (yet surprisingly active), I am heavy-bodied, and I get to a point of thinness where I sort of have to tuck abdominal skin in...that's when I know it's time to stop losing. Though I have yet to discover the magical formula for steady maintenance.

I had another crappy argument with dh this AM. I should probably just not talk to him for a few days.

FM: 6.5mi/1 hour on the elliptical this AM. Legs are a little sore from yesterday's 7 outdoors.
#266 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Jo, how did you start doing resistance training work, and what did/do you do? Also how do you work in running and, say, spinning or whatever else you do at the gym? If we join the Y, I have to have a plan or I will look around at all the equipment and and say, meh, I'd rather run.

#267 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM

Not Jo, but:

I plan my workouts a week in advance and spread runs out evenly. For me, if I run more than 4x a week I know I'm going to get injured, so that helps. I've also found classes I love (T/Th circuit class, Sat AM has great yoga and spinning) so that helps as well.

I do give myself permission to get on the treadmill AFTER those other workouts if I want to. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and usually it's only a mile, but I make sure I do the other things first.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#268 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I think after the half this weekend I need to sit down and make a longer term plan for rounding out my training to include cross/resistance while still keeping my mileage up. I am doing another race (15K) in April and then I'd really like to find a marathon in the early summer if possible -- if not, then Disney next winter.

I definitely need to have a goal in mind (big race, whatever) for motivation. But clearly I also need to step it up with expanding my fitness horizons.

Did someone say, try a tri? Hmmm...

#269 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Yep, exactly like memiles said. The first argument is about injury. I know that I will have some nagging pain if I don't moderate. So I probably run 3 or 4x a week. The other 3-4 days are bike/elliptical, often dictated by what's free in the cardio studio. I've found that I can run harder with this arrangement, too, and I have gone from running 11 min miles in early Jan to 9:30 pace now.

Same with permission to run on the TM (or track) post-workout, if I feel like I have to. Once in a while, the opportunity presents itself to run together with my sister, which is awesome.

I use a very few weight machines, targeting areas where I need strength and I am confident on the machine. I also do a lot of Pilates moves on the mats after my cardio, and I plank and stretch most days. I have not tried a class. I should.

We're going TV-free (except maybe The Office) for this two-week period. A good choice. Ds collected eggs this afternoon and dd and I checked on the animals. The goats are progressing along toward their delivery dates. More mucus today and nice, loose ligaments. And one goat acting a little weird, but I think (hope) it's still too early.
#270 of 1113 Old 03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
bec

My fitness story. I was about 250-260 pounds. I lost about 25 pounds before getting pregnant with Katie. I gained about 30 pounds with her, and lost it pretty quickly after birth. Then, I gained started TTC Emily. It took about 6 months, and I was not very good about my eating. Up until this point, there was no physical activity that didn't involve running after my then toddler. I got pregnant and had Emily, and then Abby.

I was back to around 250-260 pounds. When Abby was about 6 months old, I had an email exchange with a (I found out later) crazy internet woman. While she was very unkind and ungentle about it, it didn't take away from the truth of her words. She basically said that I should stop talking about all the things stopping me from getting healthy (making excuses), and should think about the example I was setting my children, etc. It may have been a really cruel approach, but I did take the kick in the butt. I started walking, and I started taking very small steps to improve my nutrition. I started running about 6 months after starting down this road. Over the next year or so, I cut this woman out of my life, and proceeded to lose between 80-100 pounds. I have been going up and down with the last 20 pounds for a year or so, now. While I am not thrilled with the 20 pound yo-yo, I am seeing my shape changing, and the muscle content going up. I figure I have about 20 pounds that I need to lose off my stomach, but I'm not going to fret too much about them as my overall fitness is better than most people (if not as good as some of the inspirations here!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page