Mothering Forum banner

Running the O'Dingo Way -- Dingos Run Into March like Lionesses!

34K views 1K replies 46 participants last post by  Plady 
#1 ·
New thread!
Happy spring!

See less See more
#3 ·
JenLove. Guess you needed the chocolates. I actually thought the last time I was looking at your FB photos that you were looking thin to me, too. Actually, first I was like, wow, Val is really getting big...and then I was all, Jennie is looking very thin. Stay healthy, mama!

Speaking of, I'm online looking for reasons why I have a tic in my eye that won't go away...help. Anyone got ideas? I am getting plenty of sleep, eating well and exercising plenty.

#5 ·
I'm hiding in the bathroom to read up and post...

jooj~I just had a eye tic, right after you first posted about yours. It was SUPER annoying and I didn't know what to do about it. I just now realized it is gone after reading that you are dealing with yours. I dunno? Hope it goes away!!

getting ready to lift some weights. waiting on pins and needles for dsd to come home from time with her mom.... I need a biting lip smiley.

chow!

#6 ·
RM - I think it's amazing what you are doing for your dsd, that has to be hard pretty much every step of the way and you swing it with such grace.

Jo - Thanks
now I have one too! What is this some sort of cyber yawn? Sheesh!

So I'm totally stoked for the relay and my dh wants in on it too. In a running way. What do y'all think of that? He got pretty excited and I'd hate to say no to him but it's not just my call. Other than that, we've got support vehicle capability and anyone and everyone would be welcome to stay at our place before and/or after the race (although this does mean a ferry ride, but it is a gorgeous ferry ride so it has total sightseeing cred). And, I don't think it's nuts to fly across the country, this sounds like one of those experiences you never forget and I know how fun SF was with the dingos.

JenLove - Maybe some weight training would help you add some weight? Are you vegan? Or just vegetarian? I'm thinking eggs and cheese of course but I don't know if that jibes with your dietary philosophy.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plady View Post
RM - I think it's amazing what you are doing for your dsd, that has to be hard pretty much every step of the way and you swing it with such grace.

Jo - Thanks
now I have one too! What is this some sort of cyber yawn? Sheesh!

So I'm totally stoked for the relay and my dh wants in on it too. In a running way. What do y'all think of that? He got pretty excited and I'd hate to say no to him but it's not just my call. Other than that, we've got support vehicle capability and anyone and everyone would be welcome to stay at our place before and/or after the race (although this does mean a ferry ride, but it is a gorgeous ferry ride so it has total sightseeing cred). And, I don't think it's nuts to fly across the country, this sounds like one of those experiences you never forget and I know how fun SF was with the dingos.

JenLove - Maybe some weight training would help you add some weight? Are you vegan? Or just vegetarian? I'm thinking eggs and cheese of course but I don't know if that jibes with your dietary philosophy.
Now you have me looking at flights ... hmmmm. I need something like this to look into since I'm having a totally craptastic day. Just so depressed and down. Must be the post race blues or something.

#9 ·
Jo ~ I get tics with caffeine.

My diet ~ I was attempting no dairy and went 2 weeks, but it ain't happening. I bought some goat cheese, but it tastes funky to me. I've also been adding in more meat...

Plady ~ I have thought about weights as well or using my own body weight with breaks in between so I'm not also doing cardio and burning off too much.

#10 ·
Subbing. I've not been doing well at keeping up but I'll renew my efforts for March! I have been running - next workout is day 2 of week 5 of C25K. I'm so excited to finally be progressing instead of doing stoopid week 3 over and over and over.

ETA: It turns out that the image of my DD's face on Christmas morning when she finds out we're going to Disney World so mama can run the half-marathon is one of the best training motivators ever.
I will be registering for the race when our tax refund comes in a couple weeks.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
ETA: It turns out that the image of my DD's face on Christmas morning when she finds out we're going to Disney World so mama can run the half-marathon is one of the best training motivators ever.
I will be registering for the race when our tax refund comes in a couple weeks.

Wild day here in Kristin-land. Lots of activity, not lots of fun. Beautiful weather (except for the melt-o-rama going on).

#12 ·

Still w/plague, but now armed w/antibiotic to fight said plague. I really, really want to run, but instead I will take a nap. Of course, it's absolutely gorgeous out, too...totally shorts/short sleeves running weather.
Bah. Oh well, I haven't shaved my legs in too long to contemplate wearing shorts.

#13 ·
Jo, caffeine like Jennie said or maybe stress? I hope it resolves itself quickly and doesn't return to cause worry.

Jennie, stay healthy, eat well Val and others rely on you. Enjoy the guacamole.

Lisa, step-parenting an adult child has to be hard. I admire how much you are stepping up for her and I hope you feel the love in return soon.

I'm wishing I was independently wealthy and free to travel this summer with all the dingo talk of camping and relays and goofy and dopey. My life is good, I appreciate the good I have I just want more.

I am trying to get another SS package together but things aren't fitting in the boxes like I want them too. Oh my struggles.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Lisa, step-parenting an adult child has to be hard. I admire how much you are stepping up for her and I hope you feel the love in return soon.

I'm wishing I was independently wealthy and free to travel this summer with all the dingo talk of camping and relays and goofy and dopey. My life is good, I appreciate the good I have I just want more.

to all that. I wish I could come do the relay!! Although I might not be the best teammate...I couldn't run at night because I'm pretty scared of the dark.
Guess I'll never be able to do a 100 miler. Darn.

#15 ·
jo-eye tics=stress for me....

RM-
you two are doing so much for dsd-her response indicates that you guys are doing something right

the relay looks like so much fun-I am an east coast gal as well-so I will have fun reading about the planning and the race reports

I just put in a huge order with mountain rose herbs-can't wait for it to get here-ordered a bunch of stuff-mostly a bunch of yummy herbal teas-can't wait to try them.

Had conference this afternoon-it went well, she said they were working very hard with the boy but wouldn't give details due to privacy issues-understandably. She provided some useful tips to work with K to empower her
making lists, journaling, and some book suggestions for her. So I am pleased with it-and admire how much the teacher loves all of the kids there-its really obvious

Need to get the little one up from her nap(yea-she napped today
) so that she might sleep tonight!

#16 ·
July is just the one month I cannot do a Dingo run or camp.
It sounds so awesome and I will be cheering for you all the entire time and sending lots of vibes.
Y'all will rock it!

Eksmom, I just
that visual. Too sweet.

Plady, great to hear about your TKD class. don't you love being back in the "swing" of things.
We tested for the yellow belt which is considered 7th class and the count goes backwards as we work toward 1st. It's part of the Songahm TKD. What is yours again?

I think the caffeine eye tic is something I've experienced before.

Just signed my kiddos up for Little League in the same town where I grew up. I can't tell you how fun it is to have this sort of automatic community after being gone for so long. I turned everything in to a woman who I went to school with. Other women kept walking out and saying things like: "D___ G___?" Is that really you?
I've been hugging lots of people today. So weird and so funny. It makes me think a lot harder about NOT putting my kids into this sweet school where I attended and people would already know my kids and to NOT work in a school where I would also know the parents already, etc. There's even a job opening in just my field. I'm not ready today, but if it's still open in the fall... a paycheck would be nice... if I like the work. But my 9yo said: Does this mean we wouldn't be able to travel anymore?
That's my kid! I told him actually we could still travel and that teachers get great time off and that we'd actually have a bit more money to enjoy it, so there's a bit incentive to start painting that picture rosy, just in case. Just saying...

FM: none today, but tomorrow,

#17 ·
My son
my swiffer.
So someone else is cleaning the floor for me. Such as it is.

Dd1 has a science fair project to do, and she picked Marie Curie as her insipirational scientist. So what in the world could a 3rd/4th grader do as a science project that emulates Marie Curie? I am so, so, so pathetic when it comes to these hands-on kinds of things. Jeesh. I don't suppose taking an x-ray machine to school would be good.

I did get in 4.5 miles today but I went out too fast and by the end was seriously sucking wind. I think all the crappy food I've been eating, courtesy of Purim, packed with gluten and white sugar, has made me dumpy and sluggish.
Time to Get. It. Out. of. My. HOUSE! The issue is how to do this without the consequent child revolt. They don't really get this kind of junk except at these holidays...sigh. Maybe trade it all for a new toy? Or dvd? Hmmm....

Weird weather today here....when I ran it was 68 and very sunny and now it is windy and starting to rain, maybe topping in the 50's...supposed to go back down tomorrow. Twelve days until my half...please let my health and the weather hold out!

I wish I could get to the PNW for that relay, sounds so fun! I'll have to make do with the Dingo Disney in January..

#18 ·
Here's the race list for the March thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

bec and bec's dh (very first!) - Reach Out and Run 5K - April 10
Mel38 - Kallmünzer Frühlingslauf Half Marathon - April 10
eksmom - Komen Race for the Cure 5K - April 10
Nickaroloberry - Aflac IronGirl 15K - April 10
Plady and dh, MegsBK - Whidbey Island Half Marathon - Arpil 11
tjsmama - Platte River Half Marathon - April 11
Eaglevoice - Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon - April 17
mommajb - Flying Pig Half Marathon - May 2
Penelope - Lincoln Half Marathon - May 2
JayGee - Indianapolis Mini Marathon - May 8
Penelope - Papillion Half Marathon - May 16
Nemesis - Fargo Marathon 5K - May 21
Nemesis - Fargo Marathon 10K - May 22
Penelope - Council Bluffs Half Marathon - May 23
ashcav - KeyBank Vermont City Marathon - May 30
tjsmama - Bolder Boulder 10K - May 31
doctorjen - Streator YMCA Memorial Day 5K - May 31
bec - US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville, IL - June 13
bec - Grandma's Marathon - June 19
kerc - Grandma's Half Marathon - June 19
tjsmama - 5430 Sprint Triathlon - June 20
tjsmama - Slacker Half Marathon - June 26
CathToria - Aflac Irongirl Atlanta Triathlon - June 27
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon - July 11
Penelope - Missoula Marathon - July 11
poppywise and crew - Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage - July 23-24
tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder - August 8
Penelope - Omaha Half Marathon - September 6
Mel38 - Ragnar Relay Washington, DC - September 24-25
tjsmama - Rock-N-Roll Denver Marathon - October 17

The Preggo Dingo List

Realrellim - It's a girl!
Welcome baby Julia!
VeganCupcake - It's a
, welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog
:

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.

#19 ·
Dingos 2010 Race Results List
Running Mamas Do Amazing Things!

tjsmama - PF Chang's Rock-N-Roll Arizona Marathon - 4:53:54 (very first marathon!) - January 17
tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Winter Duathlon - 1:21:03 - January 23
grnmtnmama - Singlespeed USA - February 6- Women's Champion!
cornflakegirl - Surf City Half Marathon - February 7 - 1:47:07
Nemesis - Frozen Feat 5K - February 13
ashcav - Hyannis Half Marathon - February 28-1:49:02
bec - Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathon - March 7
Eaglevoice - Newport Spirit 10K Run - March 21 - 1:01:38
doctorjen - Spring Valley Walleye Club 5K - March 27 - 30:33
doctorjen's ds2 - Spring Valley Walleye Club 5K - March 27-39:54
bec - Des Plaines River Half Marathon - March 27 - 2:23:ish
poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon - March 28 - 2:49 (PR!)
zubeldia - Run for the Border Half Marathon - March 28 - 1:58

#20 ·
If you really want to do it without a revolt just feed it all to them like a big free for all. I usually take this approach with too much candy on Halloween. They love it and is does make it go away quickly. Ian and I love all the same junk and at 13 yo he does know what to do with all the calories: grow another inch taller!

#21 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, mamas. I am pretty confident it's not caffeine. I suppose it could possibly be stress coupled with a pretty dramatic increase in physical activity (daily workouts). It's one side only, the lid under my eye. Dumb. It's been weeks.
...um, I mean

mommajb, me too on the wanting more.

So now it looks as though I am going to have to get to the Y even earlier tomorrow.
I'm considering packing a second set of clothes in case I get the chance to head back in the afternoon. Yes, I have a TM in my house.

kerc, I am LOVING the melt-o-rama. So are the chickens. I came home and discovered (omg) I left a gate open all day.
Luckily all my good little sheep and goats stayed on their side.

#22 ·
Nemesis - It's so great that you are running with your DD. I am sure she will get more used to it and maybe even start enjoying it.

zub - glad that the visit is going somewhat smoothly.

Ugh. Sick again! Poor DD picked something up at play group I think, who knows. I definitely related to the "plague" metaphor that Gaye made. I am strongly resisting a doctor's visit, but I can feel this thing settling in my lungs and I really don't want to have any lingering bronchial issues before the half. Trying not to let it get me down too much.

Mom is coming for a short visit tomorrow and I feel mixed about it. I want to see her but I feel kind of down right now and worry about being impatient with her.

FM: 7 miles on Saturday. It felt good - I hope I can get a 10-12 miler in before the half.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Dd1 has a science fair project to do, and she picked Marie Curie as her insipirational scientist. So what in the world could a 3rd/4th grader do as a science project that emulates Marie Curie? I am so, so, so pathetic when it comes to these hands-on kinds of things. Jeesh. I don't suppose taking an x-ray machine to school would be good.

Curie is radioactive decay. Some possibilities are to demonstrate the concept of a half life through a variety of mechanisms. My favorite is through picking out colored M&Ms out of a big bowl, and counting a certain color as the radioactive ones (say, green), and replacing the greens with another color to represent their decay (say, red). The plot the green in the bowl as a function of "time" (=candy grabs). Let me know if you need more details. I can supply easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Thanks for the thoughts, mamas. I am pretty confident it's not caffeine. I suppose it could possibly be stress coupled with a pretty dramatic increase in physical activity (daily workouts). It's one side only, the lid under my eye. Dumb. It's been weeks.
...um, I mean
[/SIZE]
My eye twitch is my sleep-o-meter.

I'm at the national lab this week. I managed a run this morning at dawn. The hills of Long Island about killed me. I'm chillin' my samples to as close to absolute zero as physics and my vacuum pump will let me. (quality of the vacuum makes a big difference).
: for 5 K. I ran into a good friend in the cafeteria today, so that's a bright spot. I wander over for the half hour it takes to change temperature.

#25 ·
plady - that's fine by me, as long as he doesn't mind wearing a shirt that says 'dingbat' (is that what we decided dh's would be called?)

so are you putting out some feelers? i'll hit cheryl ann up on ravelry. maybe ND would be up for a trip west?

RM - hope your day went well after all

healing vibes to all plague-ridden dingoes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.