Mothering Forum banner

Running the O'Dingo Way -- Dingos Run Into March like Lionesses!

34K views 1K replies 46 participants last post by  Plady 
#1 ·
New thread!
Happy spring!

See less See more
#378 ·
Lax4 - that is so, so sad. Having seen a couple of those cases in my professional life, it makes me terrified for my own babies sometimes. I check to make sure they are all breathing before I go to bed every night.

bec - I thought this was the most unfair thing - that even as a very conscious parent, who was paying attention and savoring every stage, my kids STILL got big too fast. Enjoy 9 - double digits for y'all next year!

Geo - Wait, which Jen had their town on Nova?

Nemesis - are you sure of your dates for the 5K and 10K? And do they have any names? I'd like to put them on the race list for you. The Fri and Sat around then in May are the 21st and 22nd, if you think it's around then.

RM - generally cold medicines don't even really work very well. If they do provide symptom relief (and they don't for everyone) then taking the recommended dose for several days is okay, but you shouldn't take more than the recommended dose or take it for more than 3-5 days. Your day sounds crazy - good for you squeezing a little activity in.

RR - I've been doing decent running. Yesterday I took the evil Guts and Butts class again, and then ran hill/speed intervals on the treadmill last night. I really need to pick some longer races for the year. Last year I did Indy and the Chicago Rock N Roll Half. I'm thinking about Chicago again, but would like something for late spring/early summer. I'm also thinking about volunteering for the local running club's summer women's running program, which is designed for beginners, but it would mean having to shorten my Monday hours by 1/2 hour and getting out on time every week to make it.

#380 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
meanwhile, i just booked an 11 hour flight to germany for LATER that same day (of the half)! be honest: is this going to eff me up? i am someone for whom running a half is very challenging and therefore will inevitably be stiff and sore for a few days after. i must be nuts for agreeing to sit on a plane for that long right after - not that there is much i can do about that if i want the work. and i NEED the work right now, let me tell you. the bright side is that i might be able to meet up with Mel!

That would be really neat! And as for flying on the same day, maybe you'll be able to get better sleep than usual, since you will be so tired. I mostly worry about getting enough to drink, but if you bring your own bottle, you might be able to get them to fill it back up for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
so, how much cold medicine is too much? not me, step daughter...
Hm, what kind of cold meds did she take?

BTW, RM, your life is so crazy busy, I feel lazy reading about it! How do you do it and keep up your great attitude?? Amazing.

La4: I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's family. How terribly shocking and sad.

DrJen, could you please add me to the Ragnar Relay in Washington DC for Sept. 24/25?

I've been so busy and away from the computer for a few days - but we are all doing well here. The weather is the absolute pits, though! Snow, wind, cold, grey, rinse, repeat. I bet my DD that she couldn't make it all the way to her birthday without one single complaint about the weather... if she makes it, she gets 10 euros from me. She's always looking to earn a buck, so this should be interesting! I probably wouldn't make it one single day, since griping about the weather is kind of my hobby.

FM: I'm keeping up with my 5 runs per week schedule and feeling pretty good. I have to ice my knee from time to time when it gets too stiff feeling, and maybe I'll need to see a dr one of these days. I think it's my long-ago MCL injury maybe causing some discomfort... Anyhoo, I'm scheduled for 3 tomorrow and 10 on Saturday or Sunday. This is my furthest run since last September! I hope the sun peeks out for me!

#382 ·
RR: 11 miles in the pouring rain! RP and I felt so hard core!
Turns out, that 50 degrees isn't so warm when it's raining on your head the entire time! But, we did it (well, she did 9), and we're getting faster! Last summer, our long runs were averaging around 12:30-13:00 pace. I would run around 11:00-11:30 if I was by myself. This run was around 11:45 pace! I ran the last 2 miles at around 10:00-10:15 pace!!

Jen - thanks for the sympathy and understanding my birthday angst!!! I'm so excited for her, but so wanting to hold on to my little girl a little longer.

Poppy - Hmmm, flying right after a race. I would make SURE you stretch really, really well, and try to get up and walk around every hour or so. Also, make sure you are well hydrated!

Mel - Good luck with the weather griping bribe!!!

RM - That's a crazy schedule! Good for you for fitting some exercise into your day!!!

Nemesis - Good luck with your organizing! This is exactly why I get along so well with my Brownie Troop co-leader! She does a lot of the great organizing, making arrangements for activities, etc. that I just HATE to do!

#383 ·
Mel38;15172777 Hm said:
She took the 12 hour symptom relief ones, 60 of them this week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
RM - generally cold medicines don't even really work very well. If they do provide symptom relief (and they don't for everyone) then taking the recommended dose for several days is okay, but you shouldn't take more than the recommended dose or take it for more than 3-5 days. Your day sounds crazy - good for you squeezing a little activity in.

Thanks for the info. In addition to the above mentioned amount, she has been asking me for sudafed. I gave her one today (two is a full dose for 4-6 hours) and last week gave her one dose. I don't want to provide meds for her!

Thanks for the positive encouragement! Love you ladies!

#384 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Clothing does not represent the *possible* you. You are the real you, and you will achieve the best you, in a healthy time and fashion. Feel strong, feel fit, slimmer will come.
I got behind again and am trying to catch up, but I just read this post by BBM and wow, mama, those are powerful words. I'm about to copy that to a post-it note and stick it somewhere I can see it.

#385 ·
RM, is she after side effects? Is she using them for something else? What are you worried about and what should you be worried about and what exactly did she take and was there any acetominophen in them? I have no particular expertise but I think there is a problem worth investigating further.

#386 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I got behind again and am trying to catch up, but I just read this post by BBM and wow, mama, those are powerful words. I'm about to copy that to a post-it note and stick it somewhere I can see it.

I agree! (I wrote it down, too!)

#387 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bec View Post
Awesome, Nic!!!!!

Garmins - I love my 305, but it is bulky. I yearn for the 405.
Speak of the devil.....

I just saw on RW that you can get a $50 rebate here: http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/

And also using the code RWMASTERSD at Running Warehouse you can get a 15% discount on top of the rebate.

You know, in case anyone has been saving for one... I think it would bring the 405 down to $247 ?

#388 ·
Warning,
ahead.

I am

I admit, I am not the best cook in the world. But in general my food is bland as opposed to yucky. I swear to all that's holy, one week I can make a dish and everyone loves it and eats it, and the next time I make it (usually 2 or more weeks later) at least 2 out of 3 children reject it.

I makes me
. My dd2 really eats nothing, she is super skinny, eats mainly peanut butter sandwiches. I make her eat fruits and vegetables, and she eats cucumbers, raisins, and will tolerate carrots and peppers, and broccoli. No other fruits, she used to eat bananas but rejects them too now. I am at my wit's end and I HATE MAKING MULTIPLE DINNERS.

And I also hate cleaning up after everyone, all the time. Chore charts, chore wheels, lists, reminders, outright nagging...nothing works. AGGHHHHH.

#389 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Geo - Wait, which Jen had their town on Nova?
Yours! It was a Neil de Grasse Tyson episode on the Pluto files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
That would be really neat! And as for flying on the same day, maybe you'll be able to get better sleep than usual, since you will be so tired. I mostly worry about getting enough to drink, but if you bring your own bottle, you might be able to get them to fill it back up for you.
You can fill up a large water bottle in the back of the plane on those long international flights. Taking an empty bottle (even steel) through TSA is no big deal. Flight attendants will gladly refill a whole bottle once they're done with their usual rounds.

#390 ·
Thank you eksmom - you have no idea how strongly I feel about this issue. If I do nothing else for the children and adolescents that walk through my door, it is that they will leave feeling good in their skin! Owning themselves completely and loving every inch.

Nickarolaberry - hug hug hug. Can you get your dh behind you at all? When I just cannot get the message across, I will ask dh to talk with the kids. But it's like this secret, conspiratorial thing that I supposedly am completely oblivious too. Beyond that. Ridiculously, militantly consistent. I also will give dd a choice, i.e. you can empty the dishwasher or clean the living room (she always chooses lr, go figure).

Massage tonight. Good grief, there were seriously moments when she hit knots I thought was worse than labor. And there was one, I swear it burned like the ring of fire. But wow, I feel soooo good now. She said 2-3x, but that if after that there was still pain that likely it was something not musculature. She seemed pretty confident though that it was in the muscles. She took over an hour, and only charged $40 (reg - $60, she offered a first appt discount). I felt guilty like I was robbing her.

#391 ·
poppy~You'd probably be ok, but I would definitely do an ice bath before heading to the airport.

rm~Wow. That seems like WAY too much medication.

Another busy day in my world, which will lead into a busy day tomorrow, and a busy day Saturday (working both days). I had a hair appointment this morning, so I missed my usual Tues/Thurs running group, and dragged myself out of bed to go to the Y and run on the treadmill instead. Dropped DS at preschool, and went to get the oil changed in my car, since the "perform service" light has been on for at least 3 weeks now. They found two major leaks that need to be fixed. Bad news: $1500 Good news: Covered under my extended warranty that expires in 3000 miles!
Holy cutting it close there. I am sooooo relieved that they found this now, because I sure don't have the money to pay for it! They even pay for a rental car, since it's going to take the whole day.

From there, I went and checked out a new natural foods store that opened near us, and I am in
. Produce and meat, WAY cheaper than Whole Foods, and even cheaper than the normal grocery store. Lots of other fun stuff, too. It definitely won't replace my normal grocery store, but I may start making a trip there every other week or so. I wish it was on the way to places I typically go, but it's really not that far away to make a special trip.

Speaking of which, I am going to go cook me up a steak and some asparagus.

#393 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
And I also hate cleaning up after everyone, all the time. Chore charts, chore wheels, lists, reminders, outright nagging...nothing works. AGGHHHHH.

What about a buy back box? Maybe not the most AP thing to do, but better than getting totally frustrated. If you have to clean something up of theirs (especially if it is something that they were supposed to have taken care of), it goes into a box. They have to "buy" it back with extra chores, etc. Items that have not been reclaimed within a given amount of time (say a month) are donated to charity, or sold at a garage sale.

#394 ·
Nick, I have no advice, just commisseration, especially on the food thing. I'm SO tired of making single ingredient dishes because NOT ONE of my kids will eat any one food in combination with any other food. I'm tired of raw carrot sticks, raw green beans and raw apple slices as my "side dishes" since no one will eat cooked veggies. I love to cook, but I hate that only DH and I enjoy what I make. And if I never steam another "by request" hot dog, I will be a happy woman.

Okay, rant done.

#395 ·
Hi mamas, I think this is a record for me, not joining til page 20!
sorry. missing you all. Bah.

It's Lent, though, and I went away the first week of the month, and all of a sudden it's MID MARCH! Anyone else feel like that? ergh. I have also still been in car shopping land, as you all might have seen on FB, but hopefully we'll be done soon....I fell in total swoony love with the Honda Fit and although it is small, it's SO FUN to drive and the kids will fit (no pun intended) just fine. There's also a crazy amount of space in the back for groceries, etc! Great gas mileage, and in our price range. so, hopefully soon....

RP made me run this morning, too! In the rain, wasn't too bad, but kind of gross. Fun to run with her again, though. My cyst (ankle) is really sore tonight, so I'm not sure what to make of that. Maybe chiro tomorrow will help.

I skimmed some but not enough, and I'm sending love and peace to all of you Dingoes and Ding-lets who need it.
take care mamas.

#396 ·
Good evening!

Runningmommy--When I was younger, I didn't take some over-the-counter drugs all that seriously. Take some, take more if they don't seem to be working, whatever. In college I pulled my back at the gym and was popping ibuprofen like crazy. Coincidentally, that weekend I came down with the worst stomach flu I've ever had. I really thought I had overdosed. Turns out it was a bug going around, but that experience scared me into taking the drugs seriously. I think it's too easy to be casual about them; maybe she needs to have a discussion about the dangers.

Nic--The not eating thing is terribly frustrating. My DD is exceptionally picky and also lives mostly on peanut butter. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to pack a lunch for her next year. I'm resigned to the fact that she only eats a handful of things and rarely tries something new. We get tired of eating the same things.

Bec--Happy birthday to your DD! Every year that goes by I can't believe how old my kids have gotten. And so big, since we measure them in their closet doorways on their birthdays.

Thanks again for sympathy and nice words. DH stayed home from work today, said he was up since three in the morning with a terrible stomachache. I'm thinking he wasn't sick, just distraught. He talked to his sister, who said there were no indications that something was wrong with the little boy, no illness or underlying conditions. He played baseball and football for his school, so he must have had yearly physicals. We don't have any more details than that, so I don't know if we'll ever know what happened. I've always checked my kids' breathing every night; now I'll feel much less ridiculous doing so.

Running on new shoes is good.
My knee isn't perfect, but it's okay. I'm going to take the plunge and find some races to sign up for. A friend of mine from my moms' group just said she wanted to run a local race on the Fourth of July and asked if I'd run with her.
She's all self-conscious, saying she just does the treadmill at work and she'll probably have to walk some of it and I'll have to just keep running and leave her behind. Like she thinks I'd be aiming to win this race? Eek. I'm looking forward to having someone to run with.

Gotta go; Survivor is almost over so it's time for my weekly phone call to Mom and Dad.

#397 ·
Geo - It's funny, Pluto was like my town's only claim to fame, or something. People who live here are seriously pi$$ed about the planet demotion! We'll have to look for reruns of that one, Justin would love it. And for the record? We don't come off like a hick town, we ARE a hick town!

RM - Whoa, that's way too much. It depends on the specific drug, but that much cold medicine can cause some pretty bad side effects - palpitations, arrhythmias, disorientation and confusion. If dextromethorphan is involved (the DM in Robitussin DM for example) it basically has a narcotic effect.

On pickiness: Sigh. So BTDT. The big thing we do at our house which has greatly reduced my aggravation is that you have to sit at the table and you aren't allowed to complain - if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it, but I don't want to hear about it because the person who worked hard on cooking good food does not need their feelings hurt by people saying yuck. If you don't like what I'm serving, you can make yourself a simple snack that must be reasonable healthy - a peanut butter sandwich, or apples and peanut butter are popular ones, some grapes, a cheese stick, whatever. Even my 6 year old can make a snack like that, so I don't have to get involved. My 6 year old is capable of microwaving individual serving macaroni, or a hot dog, too - she's particularly independent, but has been able to make her own snacks for a couple years, so I think most 5 or 6 yr olds can manage, especially if things are left in easily accessible areas. No more cooking 2 meals, no complaining. They are certainly encouraged to give what I make a try, but I also don't nag at them - and that greatly reduces our food fighting. My oldest kid eats just about everything and always has. My 2nd child had a bad picky phase, but she's out of it and now will try almost anything. My 12 yr old is my weird sensory issues kid, but he happily serves himself. And my 6 yr old has what I think of as normal little kid pickiness, and usually eats some or all of what we are having supplemented with other snacks when needed.

I can't remember if I mentioned yesterday, but I got new shoes yesterday! Brooks Adrenaline this time. The running store guy described them as more like a cushioned shoe with good stability than a stability shoe with some cushioning. They feel so wonderful! I've been running in Trance, which are also a stability shoe, but these feel so much more cushioned and felt better right off the bat!

#399 ·
Removed - since author removed her post!

QUOTE]

Holy crap! That is amazingly awful! What kind of nut job says that to a child? And how do you reassure your child after something like that? Maybe at least really emphasize the mentally ill and doesn't understand what he's saying aspect to your poor ds - definitely not enough, but how terrible for him to have to think this whacko has a real point. I'm so sorry that happened to you guys.

#400 ·
Luckily
I don't think ds really understood (although the girls did and were crying, but he's the 'visible' one b/c of his headgear), he just saw this freaky person spewing nasty words at him.

Sigh. Maybe because of where we live I have to rethink whether he can wear it in public. That sucks.

DrJ can you take my quote out of your post if you don't mind? Sometimes I get people pm'ing me nastiness -- they stalk people they know have different beliefs and stuff. Yeah, it happens. Thanks.

#401 ·
We cross posted, and I'd already pulled it out when I saw you did, not wanting to quote what you didn't want read. I know other dingoes would love to be outraged on your behalf, though - feel free to post on the yahoo list if you need some support. Do you want me to pull out my comments, too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.