Used to work out, then injuries, then baby...now what?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-06-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any advice is appreciated. I am looking for some type of workout schedule. I was in the Army a few years back and worked out a LOT-- running (2 mile to half marathons), pushups, sit-ups, squat thrusts, etc, and all that stuff that is HARD on the body. (I injured two low back discs in the Army, as well as getting pretty frequent shin splints and possibly something like compartment syndrome (?) in that muscle just outside my shins. I have some kind of shoulder/scapula "thing" going on, that I think is a result of my back/compensation for the bad discs in my low/mid back. I worked out quite a bit before I got pregnant, this time mostly yoga, pilates, running/walking combos, etc. But I think I always did too much, too soon. I need a good SLOW START schedule. I haven't done anything for months besides wear and carry my LO.

What can/should I do now? I have some yoga and pilates DVDs, plus I just ordered Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.

I want to run. I have a BOB. Is this a dumb idea? (Of course, ortho docs say yes, but I have SO many friends with injuries who run marathons.)

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM

I don't think it is dumb to run, it is a great way to get back in shape and improve overall fitness. Just be nice and slow with it. I find that former athletes/ex military tend to be very willing to push through just about any kind of pain, but pain is your body's way of telling you to back off a bit. Obviously pushing through can achieve certain fitness goals and make you stronger in the long run, but when recovering from injury and/or childbirth, you really need to take it slower than you would think necessary. For example, start out walking with the stroller. Work up to a few miles without hurting yourself, for example, if you walk 2 miles the first day and your shins hurt, try walking 1 mile after a recovery day or even take it down to a few laps on the track. The key is to slowly build your fitness. Once you feel good walking (or maybe you already do) I would try to alternate walking with running, you can do 1 min walk, 1 min run, even if it seems too easy, it is getting you back into the swing of things in a gentle way. Eventually work up to the distances you want, but back off immediately if you feel something hurting. Check out runnersworld.com for lots of gradual training plans designed to keep you healthy! Whatever you do, don't try to go out a tough out a few miles right away, that's going to guarantee injury. Good luck!

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetiemommy View Post
I find that former athletes/ex military tend to be very willing to push through just about any kind of pain
SO true. This is probably how I ended up injured in the first place!

The whole "pain is weakness leaving the body" mentality. That's how we were taught. Plus going to muscle failure. Oh, and not to have a "pity party" while running and to just keep going no matter what.

It will be an effort for me to go slow enough and not fall back into the "push" mentality. Thanks!

#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM

As a former college athlete, I totally know what it's like to feel like you have to push past the pain and work out harder than your body can handle. After giving birth to my two children and 8 years in an unhealthy relationship, I found myself 60 pounds overweight. I got a gym membership and would go and try to work out like I used to in my prime. I would get frustrated with myself so quickly. It was very self-defeating and ultimately I think I did much more harm than good, especially psychologically. My sister told me about the couch to 5K program that sort of walks you through getting in shape to run a 5K very slowly using a run/walk approach. I felt like this was lame and I shouldn't have to walk as much as other people. But after a couple of months, I caved and I downloaded some great free podcasts on iTunes that literally walk you through each couch to 5k workout. My favorite podcast was Chubby Jones. So, that sort of convinced me to go at it slower and got me up and going. It went slow enough so my body was able to keep up with the exercise without overstraining. Eventually, I was able to start incorporating more to my workout routine. I started the couch to 5K program in June, and now I'm training for an olympic distance triathlon this April! It's amazing what you can do if you start slow and just be patient with your body. It was really hard to change the way I thought about what my body *should* be able to do and what it was actually capable of doing after all that weight gain. But once I got it, it made everything so much easier. Good luck to you, mama!!!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#5 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey congrats on your first tri!!! I've never done one (hot tubs are more my speed than swimming laps, LOL) but my DH and friends have. (I am the one who takes photos, holds water, and cheers. Back in my "prime", I did a half marathon, and regularly ran similar distances (in the Army.)

I still have a secret dream of doing a full marathon. But with a bad back and a baby...I keep it to myself. I don't even really tell DH because I feel silly for wanting to do a marathon when I get winded just going on a long walk now. I am not overweight, just out of shape and have lapsed in workouts big time since being pregnant.

Couch to 5K sounds doable! What are these podcasts? Please forgive my obvious lack of knowledge and dumb question about this...is it music to run to, or is it a coach or something talking to you?

#6 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM

The Chubby Jones couch to 5K podcast is a mix of music to run to and her telling you when to walk and when to run. She takes the thinking out of the workouts. Because the purpose behind the couch to 5K is to run/walk in intervals, it's nice to not have to pay attention to your watch and just listen to your ipod to the music she plays and have her tell when it's time to slow down or speed up. Plus, she's kind of funny. I found myself laughing out loud at times and I'm sure people at the gym on the treadmills around me thought I was crazy!

It's an awesome goal to want to do a marathon! But for now, focus on smaller goals. Like a 5K, get there first, then you can focus on a 5K race, then a 10K, and so on.

Another thing that I have discovered through this journey is cycling. I had spent my fair share of time on a bike when I was younger, playing with friends, but never really thought it as a sport. Now that I'm training for a tri, and I've really gotten into cycling, I might even consider doing a century ride! Maybe since you have your back injury, you could ease yourself into cycling? You can still get that rush and feeing of accomplishment you feel when competing, and it would be easier on your back. Just a thought...

Oh, but if you do decide to take up cycling, make sure to get some really good padded cycling shorts! They will save your life! (and your a@@!)

#7 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Sweet! Thanks! I am going to look up the podcasts right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
It's an awesome goal to want to do a marathon! But for now, focus on smaller goals. Like a 5K, get there first, then you can focus on a 5K race, then a 10K, and so on.
Yes, I know this! That's why it's a secret dream. I think my DH would be stunned enough if I signed up for a 5K. Maybe I can secretly do the C25K and surprise him with my renewed physical prowess. Just gotta avoid those shin splints and I will feel so much better!

#8 of 9 Old 03-13-2010, 04:09 AM

I bet the C25K would help guard against shin splints, since it will get you started at a slower pace, allowing your muscles, tendons and ligaments a little more time to adjust to the increased efforts. My teammate in college had horrible shin splints for years that turned into some major stress fractures. I remember she had to tape up her entire lower leg before every volleyball practice and game. I heard that they make those compression wraps for shin splints now, too. Maybe you might want to invest in some of those that you can put on and help you avoid them all together.

#9 of 9 Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I'll definitely look into those, thanks. I haven't heard of this before. I've downloaded two versions of C25K. Hopefully this will work for me! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page