5 pounds by Earth Day (or you pick your goal) - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 167 Old 04-17-2010, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it too late for this? I'd like to lose 7 by earth day, though I'd be happy with 4-5.

I had a baby in January, and had gained 48. I lost 20 immediately, then gained 3 during recovery. I got SPD very badly and have essentially be sedentary for almost 9 months. Earlier in the week I began walking every night, and two days ago I started going to Ballys where I do 45 minutes on the eliptical machine keeping my heart rate around 144 (which is a challenge because it wants to shoot way up). I do a variety of free-weights/machines every other day. I also just do "craving substitution" instead of an actual diet. Like if I'm totally craving chocolate I'll have a small bowl of coco pebbles with skim instead of a hershey bar. Ice cream? I'll have a small bowl of Lucky Charms. Fries? I'll pop a tray of sweet potatoe fries with sea salt in the oven instead of stopping at Burger King. It really helps me stay on track, because simply restricting calories or substituting carrots for chocolate NEVER works for me.

I'm now at 227, and I'm very tall with a large frame so 165 is the lowest I can get and still have muscle. I'm going to aim for 175 by next winter, but this being the first week I know from past experience (3 kids) that 7 pounds in a few days is reasonable. After that it will turn into 1-2 per week, then 1-2 per month. My weight is super easy to maintain at 165-175 once I get there...only pregnancy has ever seemed to screw with it, so I will take the cue from my body and make that my ultimate goal.
#152 of 167 Old 04-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Welcome, kreeblin!!! Keep us posted.

Today was WI for me--down 1 or 1.2. For my future reference, that is 133.2. Here's hoping that this next week brings me to my goal?

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#153 of 167 Old 04-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post
Sunnypamom, that's really a great track record you have going. Impressive losses, my gosh. Consistently 2lb/week? How much is your total? What are you doing for exercise and what's your typical day of food like?
It has been 2 lbs/week for the past 9 weeks, so 18 total. I have a lot to lose (probably 50 more ) so my goal is September to be back to healthy weight. For exercise for the past month has been the 30 day shred 6 days per week. We're also getting our house ready to sell, so while I've only devoted 20 minutes a day to just exercising, I've been painting bedrooms, staining the deck, packing and generally been really busy all day long. I also track calories at 1400 per day. We eat raw dairy, pastured meat, plenty of fruits and veggies, few grains. My biggest battle has been comfort eating. I've done well for the past few months but we got some bad news this week and indulged our sweet tooth a little. But, what's done is done, time to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back on the program.

Congrats on almost being at your goal!!! That must feel great!
#154 of 167 Old 04-18-2010, 01:39 PM

When I lived in Italy (I know, I know, awesome) I lost weight without trying. I have always attributed it to the clean food that we ate there. Sure, there was TONS of pasta, but all the produce, dairy, meats were all raised by small farmers and sold in a coop, or we bought it at the farmers market. I sure didn't feel like I was eating any less!!! I lived there for 2 years and was around 130 pounds without trying; I moved back here and shot up to 140-145 (I wiggled up and down) also without trying. So I agree, eating "clean" can really help weight management.

#155 of 167 Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

2 more days till Earth Day. How is everyone doing?

168.5 3/23
168.5 3/28
167 3/30
167.5 3/6 (after binge weekend)
166.5 3/8
164 3/12
166 3/15 (period starting)
166.5 3/19

Look at that up and down, up and down. Oh boy what a ride. Two steps forward and one step back. Yesterday I was up another 1/2 a pound.

On a happy note..... My hubby went to the gym with me. He saw a picture of himself from our trip to Utah and reality hit him. Hopefully he will come with me more often.
#156 of 167 Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 PM

yes, up and down, but in the end, down, so congrats! I still say, if you want to lose more quickly, lowering your calories by 100/day wouldn't hurt

Well, I haven't weighed since Saturday, so I don't know how I am since then, but from the beginning of the month, I think I am down 6.5? I can't remember. Anyone else?

#157 of 167 Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 AM

I think I'm down 7 or so since the thread started. It certainly helps that it is spring and there is a ton of outside work to do. Yesterday I weeded all of my gardens and today I'm mulching. I might even build a bigger compost bin if my kids cooperate. Maybe I can squeak out another pound by tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing?
#158 of 167 Old 04-21-2010, 10:14 AM

Sunnypamom, I discovered last year by wearing my heart rate monitor just how many calories gardening can burn. Isn't it amazing that something so enjoyable=working out? I seriously would burn 700 calories/hour sometimes, hauling mulch. It was awesome!

#159 of 167 Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Happy Earth Day!!!!!!

I lost 2 more pounds and met my goal! Total weight loss for this challenge....6 pounds.

(04.22.10) 185
(04.16.10) 187
(04.09.10) 187
(04.05.10) 188
(03.29.10) 191

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#160 of 167 Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 AM

You rock Ruthiegirl!! What was your 2 pound secret this week? What did you do differently??? Yayayayayayay!!

That I know of, no further loss (I'm ovulating, and this increases my weight each time by a bit). So, goal met of 6.5 lbs!

#161 of 167 Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post
You rock Ruthiegirl!! What was your 2 pound secret this week? What did you do differently??? Yayayayayayay!!

That I know of, no further loss (I'm ovulating, and this increases my weight each time by a bit). So, goal met of 6.5 lbs!
Congrats!!!! 6.5 pounds is a great rate of loss for a month.

What am I doing differently? Everything!

Spring is here and I have been hauling mulch and compost all over the garden getting it ready for planting. So, tons of exercise.

I stopped drinking coffee which is totally weird for me. I started having some stomach queasiness and coffee has been making it worse. Without coffee, I am feeling better and sleeping better. Wine and beer also make me feel crummy, so I have had no alcohol for the past few weeks. And no, I am not pregnant. I think I am feeling my age...turning 37 soon.

And my knee is feeling better, so I have been running again. Running is always a big weight loss motivator for me. I just feel so good after I run.

SO, I am riding this high today and all ready planning for our next challenge. Memorial Day goals anyone?

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#162 of 167 Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM

Memorial Day sounds perfect. I want to be 131 by then. Preferably by next week though!

#163 of 167 Old 04-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Well, I have held steady at 225 for the past two days. Last Wednesday I was holding at 230-229, so even though I didn't make goal, I still feel pretty good. I wasn't able to get my cardio in yesterday, and I started my period on Tuesday so I'm not toally suprised.

I'm gonna aim big and say I want to be 212 by Memorial Day.
#164 of 167 Old 04-22-2010, 03:46 PM

I squeaked out another .8 lbs. Congrats to everyone for reaching their goals. I'm in for another 8 by Memorial Day.
#165 of 167 Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
I'll join - I'm hoping to get down to a solid 185 by then (i'm hovering around 189-191) Warmer weather means i'll be able to ride my bike more- and walk with the kids, that along with wanting/craving lighter foods should do it.

I haven't responded at all since i wrote this (i've been gaining inspiration reading about all your successes), but shortly after this i shot back up to 194, but now i am happy to say, i am down to 187! The biking and walking in the past few weeks really is what did it. I've been biking my son to school in the trailer (all 50lbs of him) instead of driving. Hopefully by the end of next challenge i'll be down to 180. That is my next goal. I want to be 175 by May 31st (what is that 5.5 weeks and 12 lbs) that is pushing it but i'll try.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#166 of 167 Old 04-22-2010, 06:50 PM

I definitely didn't make my goal BUT am getting ready to start a new job on May 13th and will be busy, less chance for boredom eating. My goal is to be below 150 by the end of May.

And I will do it.

Whatever will be, already is...

#167 of 167 Old 04-23-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I ended this challenge at 168 which is a whole 1/2 a pound weight loss. It was up and down and up and down etc.
The last few days I went off my diet. It has been a week from hell. The stress factors just kept on rolling. Hubby has been getting increasingly depressed over not finding a job. We have all been just on the edge. Then the kitchen flooded. It happened in the middle of the night so we didn't catch it till morning. Then the next day the 'check engine" light came on on our car. I also had to take the kids to do STAR testing for two days (note: we homeschool through a charter and have to do the stupid testing) Then I am on pins and needles waiting to see if my hours were cut at work because of cutbacks. (they were cut, I now work 13 hours a week) I am nervous about finding out the results of the testing that my daughter had at the therapist last week.

The hits just keep coming. SO I took a few days off of my diet. It isn't like it did a whole lot any why. I would go up and down and up and down if I kept dieting.

Anywho, after all that doom and gloom Monday I am re-doing how I do thing. I am going to try something out for one week. I am going to stay below 1,500 calories every day for 7 days. But the biggest change is going to be "when" I eat. After a frank talk with my BFF yesterday I had to admit that the night eating could be what my problem is. So even if I did have a calorie differential of 500 to 1,000 every day I was still not loosing like I should have been. I work evening and don't get home till past 9. I CAN NOT eat a 600 (or more) calorie dinner at 9:30 and then go to bed at 10/10:30.

I am going to have to really figure out how to juggle that. I might pack a dinner to eat between the gym and my work and then have a shake before bed. Is it bad to eat a meal right after you work out?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page