Weight watchers vs ediets vs..? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I started to exercise more the last 2 months but the scale has not budged much (ok. not at all actually ) and I'm at the point I'd like to look into a diet plan of some sort, or counting calories to get the rest of my PP weight off..

I have been looking at weight watchers online as well as ediets... as well as just joining something like dailyplate and winging it (for free)..

Any thoughts on whats worth trying? I'm sick of wearing my PP clothes and feeling bad about myself. I feel like its time to do something just not sure what

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#2 of 14 Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 PM

sparkpeople.com It WORKS! I'm currently sparking the rest of my baby weight off and its amazing. With the community support, nutrition trackers, recipes, and a few tools (measuring cups, food scales) it will really get you into portion control!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#3 of 14 Old 03-24-2010, 05:38 PM

I love weight watchers. I've done it off and on for a few years and lost about 50 pounds (and kept it off for the most part). I've done both their online program and gone to meetings. I like it because it works with most any diet type/dietary restriction. No matter what your style of eating, you can pretty much work it into their program. They have really active message boards and lots of info.

I tried ediets once (years ago) and at that time they gave you a menu. It may not be the case now.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#4 of 14 Old 04-03-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
sparkpeople.com It WORKS! I'm currently sparking the rest of my baby weight off and its amazing. With the community support, nutrition trackers, recipes, and a few tools (measuring cups, food scales) it will really get you into portion control!
I just joined this today, and I am really happy to hear this! It's neat to track what you eat. I'm so not a tracker, but for some reason seeing how much you ate is totally great. Ditto for setting goals for fitness!
#5 of 14 Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well congratulations on the decision to try to modify your diet! For me, I'd tried other tracking systems and they just didn't work for me. But the combination of support, motivation and flexible eating of WW meetings has been my golden ticket to lifetime. I just really have learned that while I can be disciplined, I need a safety net to keep me on track. I think it just boils down to how well you know yourself and your own needs. I wish you much success!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#6 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I've used sparkpeople.com and weight watchers. They both work well. It's not what works better, because both work on the general principle of eating less than you consume. If you do what each plan says TO THE LETTER you will lose 1-2 a week. That means, counting each and every thing that goes into your mouth, writing it down, and keeping to your points/calorie allowance. I find it works best and fastest when I do not eat back my exercise.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#7 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 AM

Sparkpeople is great! Join a team with a common interest, it is very supportive and has huge amounts of info and help.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#8 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Weight Watchers has worked for me, but only if I go to meetings. I seem to need that extra boost of possible humiliation - having someone else weigh me. They're always so supportive when you lose OR gain, but having someone else see my weight keeps me on track all week.
#9 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 PM

I am doing WW on my own. I use message boards as support. I use sparkpeople.com to keep my food diary.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#10 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM

Your little one is only 3 months old, and your body might not be ready to lose weight!

Dieting is not recommended as long as your baby relies exclusively on you for nutrition, and this is usually until 12 months or so. Not only the content of breast milk changes with dieting, but the body releases more toxins into breatmilk with weight loss.

But changes to your diet could still lead to losing weight. What worked for me in losing weight was to eliminate all sugar except some fruits (which is great for you babe!) and white flours.

Keep in mind that rapid weight loss, even without dieting, could be dangerous to your baby.
#11 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Weight Watchers has a nursing plan. Nursing Moms have additional Points.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#12 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 AM

I thought that we gained weight to have fat stores for milk production/growing the baby that were to be used for that purpose after the baby was born? I don't know that losing weight is bad for your baby; carrying around extra weight is unhealthy.

#13 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 AM

I got my numbers wrong. It is okay to aim for not more than 1.5 lb per week after the baby is 2 months old.

This is a very informative link from Kellymom.com

Carrying extra weight is unhealthy, but the OP didn't state the number of lb she is above her healthy weight, and being so soon post partum, and not losing with exercising could be an indication of putting unhealthy demands on the body.

It is a big difference between being 30 or 20lb overweight, vs. being at the heavier end of the healthy weight range.
#14 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 PM

I agree, but to not lose any weight until the kid is a year old would be extreme, imo. I couldn't have waited that long. I didn't! I joined ww at 4 mo pp and got to my pre pregnancy weight in very little time with their nursing program. I averaged 1 lb a week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page